How To Setup Nintendo Switch VPN in 7 Easy Steps
The sleek and portable Nintendo Switch is not really a world-beater but a clever piece of hardware none the less. The Nintendo Switch converts into a desktop console, a detachable portable gaming console and a tablet with wireless controllers using the same hardware.
Since the Nintendo Switch is a portable gaming tech it requires constant connectivity to a WIFI network. While online features are limited to gaming only, Nintendo has confirmed the addition of social, web browsing and VoD entertainment apps in the near future for the Switch console.
Nintendo Switch VPN Compatibility
Registering an account for the Nintendo Switch Store is easy and can be done from the official web store. In case you wish to register different accounts using a regional IP address every time I would suggest trying a Nintendo Switch VPN service to do so.
For example, if you are based in Singapore and wish to download games from the Japanese store. Simply, connect to a Japanese cheap VPN server and register an account from a Japanese IP address. You can create as many accounts as you want on the Nintendo Switch using Best VPN IP addresses for different regions and it will not impact which games or how many games you can install on the hybrid console.
- $11.95$1.99Per Month
- AES 256-bit network traffic encryption
- OpenVPN and IKEv2 security protocols
- No logs policy
- 500+ servers in 50 countries
- 24/7 customer service
- Supports P2P/Torrenting
- $10.95$2.88Per Month
74% Off EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT
- 300,000 + IPs & 2000 + Servers
- Dedicated Streaming Servers Available
- Split Tunneling/DNS Leak Protection
- P2P/Torrenting, Port Forwarding, Static IPs
- L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN & IKEv2 protocols
- DDoS Protection and Internet Kill Switch
- $12.95$6.67Per Month
- iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, Android Apps
- “Stealth VPN” Servers for Regressive Countries
- Excellent WebRTC and DNS Leak Protection
- Split Tunneling and Automatic Kill Switch
- 2,000+ Servers in 148 Countries Worldwide
- SmartDNS and Network Lock Features
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- $11.95$2.99Per Month
75% Off EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT
- Works with US Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- 30-day Money Back Guarantee Available
- WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS Leak Protection
- Simultaneous Connections on 6 Devices
- Dedicated Servers for P2P & Streaming
- 5,228 servers in 62 countries worldwide
- $12.99$2.75Per Month
- DNS and IP Leak Protection for Unblocking
- 45-Day Money Back Guarantee and 7-day Trial
- 3000 Servers to Bypass Geo-Restrictions
- Secure Wi-Fi Feature for Security in Public
- Kill Switch and DNS/IP Leak Protection
- Mozilla and Chrome Browser Add-ons
- OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec and PPTP protocols
How to Setup VPN on Nintendo Switch
There are no built-in settings to setup a VPN on the Nintendo Switch console. The best solution is to configure VPN on your router that will connect to the Nintendo Switch. You can follow our step by step guides below to setup your Nintendo Switch VPN service on your router(s). For our setup guide we used TP-Link, ASUS and Linksys routers… But you can find the same options on any modern router as well with slightly different labels. If you’d like us to do a setup guide for a specific router… Please tweet it to us.
Setup Your Nintendo Switch VPN on TP-Link Router
- Access your router Settings/Control panel (settings)
- A menu will appear on your left go to Network > WAN
- In WAN Settings fill out the boxes as follows
- ‘WAN Connection Type’ select PPTP/Russia PPTP
- Enter VPN Username and Password in the boxes provided
- Check the ‘Dynamic IP’ option
- In the ‘Service IP Address’ box enter the required VPN server (request VPN provider for server address)
- From the left hand menu click DHCP
- Enter Primary DNS (request VPN provider for DNS settings)
- Enter Secondary DNS (request VPN provider for DNS settings)
- From the left hand menu click on Security > Basic Security
- SPI Firewall – Enable
- Under VPN heading – Enable all options PPTP, L2TP and IPSec
- Click on Network > WAN
- Scroll to the bottom and select if you want to
- Connect on Demand
- Connect Automatically
- Scroll to the bottom and select if you want to
- Connect Manually
- Click save and let your router reboot, You Nintendo Switch VPN is ready
Setup Your Nintendo Switch VPN on ASUS (NT-R66U) Router
For an ASUS Router make sure your Nintendo Switch VPN provider offers PPTP or OpenVPN tunneling protocols since they will be faster with the Nintendo Switch. You will also require the respective *.OVPN file for the VPN server you wish to on the router, request your VPN provider to provide you all the OVPN configuration files.
- Login to your router Settings/ Control Panel/ Configuration
- From the left hand click Advanced Settings then go to VPN > OpenVPN Client
- In OpenVPN client settings, scroll down to Client Control then click Choose File
- Select your desired OVPN configuration file (for example ovpn for a New York server), then click UPLOAD
- Once the OVPN file has been successfully uploaded, the router control panel will update all settings automatically
- Scroll down to fill in your Username & Password, now click Apply
- Go back to the top of OpenVPN Client Settings and locate Service state, click to Turn the service on
- Your VPN should be activated now
Setup Your Nintendo Switch VPN on Linksys Router
For your Linksys router you will require a Nintendo Switch VPN service with the PPTP tunneling protocol.
- Login to the router Settings/Control Panel/ Configuration
- Click Setup tab > Basic Setup tab > Internet Connection Type
- Click the drop down box and choose PPTP as connection type from the listed options
- Configure the following settings:
- Check “Obtain an IP Address Automatically”
- For Server IP address contact your VPN provider, then insert the required “Server IP Address” into Server IP Address box
- Insert your Username & Password (request provider if you don’t have them already)
- Select Save Settings, let your router reboot and it should begin connecting to your VPN server.
Editor’s Note: I have provided the guides for three commonly used routers across the world. Just in case your router is not from one of the above manufacturers simply leave me a message and I will add the guide for your router too.
Netflix on Nintendo Switch Using VPN Outside USA
Nintendo confirmed in a January 20, 2017 press release that its revolutionary Switch console will not offer Netflix, HULU or any other entertainment apps when it launches worldwide in March. While the company is considering adding support for multimedia services like YouTube, Netflix and many others, Nintendo keep the console solely targeted towards gaming.
For latest news, updates, changes, breakthroughs, app bulletins and more visit the official Nintendo news section. You can also visit the official Nintendo Switch forum to find friends, get help and request support for issue with your Nintendo Switch VPN service.
Region Locked Games
The best feature of the Nintendo Switch store is that there are no geo-restrictions placed on any of its regional stores. You can connect to any of the Nintendo Switch stores around the world and buy games without any restrictions and play as usual. The fun part is, you don’t need a VPN to access region locked games on the Nintendo Switch.
Although I expect geo-restrictions to take effect once the Nintendo Switch store has more apps to offer and local game developer rights come into action. Until then you can simple register a separate account for every region that you wish to buy games from. For example, you can create multiple accounts to download games from Japan, USA and UK. Simply login with the different account and you will have access to the regional games available.
In a Nutshell
The Nintendo Switch is the new console for the new tech age. Yes it comes with some savvy features like taking it out and about like a tablet PC or like pairing your console with friends’ consoles for co-op gaming, but have you considered the cons. Considering a Nintendo Switch VPN to secure your console is probably the most crucial step you will take for the coming internet 4.0.
VPN may not be the security tool you might need right now, but it is definitely the online privacy & network security software you deserve. Reconsider your online security, protect your network & all your smart devices with a Nintendo Switch PVN service against hackers, throttling, data breaches, DDoS attacks, malware and other vulnerabilities today.