Nintendo Switch VPN Setup Guide and Recommendations
The sleek and portable Nintendo Switch is a clever piece of hardware; transforming into a desktop console, a detachable portable console and a tablet with wireless controllers.
However, since online features may be limited in some regions, it calls for the use a VPN to unlock the complete potential of gaming console.
5 Best Nintendo Switch VPN
Here is a round-up on the 5 best VPN for Nintendo Switch:
- ExpressVPN: Fastest Nintendo Switch VPN ($8.32/mo)
- PureVPN: Affordable VPN for Nintendo Switch ($1.32/mo)
- Surfshark: Best Nintendo Switch VPN ($1.99/mo)
- Ivacy VPN: Reliable VPN for Nintendo Switch ($1.99/mo)
- CyberGhost: Secure Nintendo Switch VPN ($2.75/mo)
Nintendo Switch VPN Compatibility
Registering an account for the Nintendo Switch Store is easy and can be done from the official web store. In case you wish to register different accounts using a regional IP address, I suggest trying a Nintendo Switch VPN service.
For example, if you are based in Singapore and wish to download games from the Japanese store. Connect to a Japanese cheap VPN server and register an account from a Japanese IP.
You can create as many accounts as you want on the Nintendo Switch using Best VPN IP addresses for different regions and it will not impact which games you can install on the console.
- Based in British Virgin Islands (Safe Jurisdiction)
- 6,500+ Servers in 180+ Countries
- Military-Grade AES 256-Bit Encryption
- Split Tunneling and Dedicated IPs
- DDoS Protection and Internet Kill Switch
- Endorsed by Forbes/5-Stars on TrustPilot
- Headquartered in BVI (Safe Location)
- 3,200+ Servers in 65 Countries
- AES-256-CBC/GCM Encryption
- Unblocks Netflix in 16+ Libraries
- 7-Day Free Trial for iOS/Android
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- Based in Singapore (Safe Jurisdiction)
- 1000+ Servers Across 100+ Locations
- 256-bit Military-Grade Encryption
- Split Tunneling/5 Multi-Logins
- Works with US Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- 5,900+ Servers in 89 Countries
- 45-Day Refund Guarantee and 7-day Trial
- Secure Wi-Fi Feature for Public Security
- Kill Switch and DNS/IP Leak Protection
- Mozilla and Chrome Browser Add-Ons
- Unblocks All Websites Seamlessly
How to Setup VPN on Nintendo Switch
There are no built-in settings to setup a VPN on the Nintendo Switch console. The best solution is to configure a VPN on your router that will connect to the Nintendo Switch.
- Get ExpressVPN’s preconfigured router from Amazon.
- Subscribe for an ExpressVPN account by clicking here.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the new router to begin configuration.
- Enter http://www.expressvpnrouter.com/ or (or 192.168.42.1) in your browser.
- Login by using “Admin” as the username and entering the 8-digit password.
- You can find the relevant password at the bottom of your router.
- If the password is printed as 1234-5678, enter it as 12345678.
- Sign in to your account, click on setup ExpressVPN, and copy the 23-digit activation code.
- Paste it in the ExpressVPN Router “Account Setup” menu and hit the “Activate” button.
- You will now gain access to all features of the ExpressVPN Router App dashboard.
- Configure the Wi-Fi connection and then click on the “VPN Connection” tab.
- You should now be able to access ExpressVPN’s 3,000 servers in 140 countries
- Select any location and hit the “Connect” button.
- Now connect your Apple TV to the Wi-Fi!
Setup Your Nintendo Switch VPN on TP-Link Router
- Access your router Settings/Control panel (settings)
- A menu will appear on your left go to Network > WAN
- In WAN Settings fill out the boxes as follows
- ‘WAN Connection Type’ select PPTP/Russia PPTP
- Enter VPN Username and Password in the boxes provided
- Check the ‘Dynamic IP’ option
- In the ‘Service IP Address’ box enter the required VPN server (request VPN provider for server address)
- From the left hand menu click DHCP
- Enter Primary DNS (request VPN provider for DNS settings)
- Enter Secondary DNS (request VPN provider for DNS settings)
- From the left hand menu click on Security > Basic Security
- SPI Firewall – Enable
- Under VPN heading – Enable all options PPTP, L2TP and IPSec
- Click on Network > WAN
- Scroll to the bottom and select if you want to
- Connect on Demand
- Connect Automatically
- Connect Manually
- Scroll to the bottom and select if you want to
- Click save and let your router reboot, You Nintendo Switch VPN is ready
Setup Your Nintendo Switch VPN on ASUS (NT-R66U) Router
For an ASUS Router make sure your Nintendo Switch VPN provider offers PPTP or OpenVPN tunneling protocols since they will be faster with the Nintendo Switch.
You will also require the respective *.OVPN file for the VPN server you wish to on the router, request your VPN provider to provide you all the OVPN configuration files.
- Login to your router Settings/ Control Panel/ Configuration
- From the left hand click Advanced Settings then go to VPN > OpenVPN Client
- In OpenVPN client settings, scroll down to Client Control then click Choose File
- Select your desired OVPN configuration file (for example ovpn for a New York server), then click UPLOAD
- Once the OVPN file has been successfully uploaded, the router control panel will update all settings automatically
- Scroll down to fill in your Username & Password, now click Apply
- Go back to the top of OpenVPN Client Settings and locate Service state, click to Turn the service on
- Your VPN should be activated now
Setup Your Nintendo Switch VPN on Linksys Router
For your Linksys router you will require a Nintendo Switch VPN service with the PPTP tunneling protocol.
- Login to the router Settings/Control Panel/ Configuration
- Click Setup tab > Basic Setup tab > Internet Connection Type
- Click the drop down box and choose PPTP as connection type from the listed options
- Configure the following settings:
- Check “Obtain an IP Address Automatically”
- For Server IP address contact your VPN provider, then insert the required “Server IP Address” into Server IP Address box
- Insert your Username & Password (request provider if you don’t have them already)
- Select Save Settings, let your router reboot and it should begin connecting to your VPN server.
Editor’s Note: I have provided the guides for three commonly used routers across the world. Just in case your router is not from one of the above manufacturers simply leave me a message and I will add the guide for your router too.
Netflix on Nintendo Switch Using VPN Outside USA
Nintendo confirmed in a January 20, 2017 press release that its revolutionary Switch console will not offer Netflix, HULU or any other entertainment apps when it launches worldwide in March.
While the company is considering adding support for multimedia services like YouTube, Netflix and many others, Nintendo keep the console solely targeted towards gaming.
For latest news, updates, changes, breakthroughs, app bulletins and more visit the official Nintendo news section. You can also visit the official Nintendo Switch forum to find friends, get help and request support for issue with your Nintendo Switch VPN service.
Region Locked Games
The best feature of the Nintendo Switch store is that there are no geo-restrictions placed on any of its regional stores. You can connect to any of the Nintendo Switch stores around the world and buy games without any restrictions and play as usual.
The fun part is, you don’t need a VPN to access region locked games on the Nintendo Switch. Although I expect geo-restrictions to take effect once the Nintendo Switch store has more apps to offer and local game developer rights come into action.
Until then you can simple register a separate account for every region that you wish to buy games from. For example, you can create multiple accounts to download games from Japan, USA and UK. Simply login with the different account and you will have access to the regional games available.
In a Nutshell
The Nintendo Switch is the new console for the new tech age. Considering a Nintendo Switch VPN to secure your console is probably the most crucial step considering the online atmosphere.
Reconsider your online security, protect your network & all your smart devices with a Nintendo Switch PVN service against hackers, throttling, data breaches, DDoS attacks, malware and other vulnerabilities today.
I used a lot of VPN. One of the best is VeePN, I’ve been using it for a long time.
Thanks for your suggestion, we will definitely look into this and will update the blog once we are done with veepn compatibility test on switch.
Could you help me with a sapphire portable WiFi?
Great to see you commenting here and interacting with us!
We surely can, but can you please be bit specific on what kind of help do you require with your Saphire Wifi device? Do you want to configure a VPN on it? Any specifc VPN?
If you can be a little more clear, we’ll be able to assist you in a better manner!
And, thats quite a name you’ve chosen for yourself 🙂
How about a guide for the AT&T Nighthawk? 🙂
Thanks for commenting RJ. I’ll be sure to look into that. It’s been a while since we reviewed Routers, as most users usually ask for dedicated devices from providers themselves 🙂