The best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV
Samsung Smart TVs are a combination of a computer meeting a cable box rolled into a single device. To unlock its full capabilities, you need a solution for bypassing geographical limitations.
The Best VPN for Samsung Smart TVs:
- Surfshark: Top pick for Samsung Smart TV. User-friendly and intuitive app. Available for $1.99/mo
- NordVPN: Stream in Ultra HD (4k Quality). Dedicated servers for streaming. Available for $3.49/mo
- PureVPN: Budget VPN for Samsung TVs. Smooth unblocking of VoDs via app. Costs $2.91/mo
- ExpressVPN: Great App Interface for TVs. Easy-to-use Smart TV app interface. Available for $8.32/mo
- Ivacy VPN: Best Option for Unblocking. Fast and reliable servers for streaming. Costs $2.25/mo
Why Do You Need a Samsung Smart TV VPN?
If you reside anywhere outside the US and UK, these platforms will restrict the content available to you. This is because of licensing issues from production houses that mandate geographical restrictions.
This is why you need a VPN service for your Samsung Smart TVs. It gives users the ability to unlock a whole new world of entertainment by granting the shifting of locations via connecting to different servers.
For instance, if you want to stream “Avengers: Infinity War” on Netflix. You can simply connect to a US server and unblock the movie by pretending to be a local. How do you like them apples? So, why wait…
5 Best Samsung Smart TV VPNs
Below you can find 5 recommendations on the best Samsung Smart TV VPN services!
1. Surfshark: Top Pick for Samsung Smart TV
Surfshark may be a new entry in the marketplace, but one that is quickly growing and ranked number 1 in the most budget-friendly VPN services. Despite being incredibly inexpensive, the VPN in a short time has become a prominent name, just like iVacy and ExpressVPN.
It provides amazing cross-platform functionality too. If you have a Samsung Smart TV that uses the Android OS, you can download the app from Google Play Store and enjoy remarkable protection on a bigger screen.
A 2-year plan will set you back by $1.99/mo. only. Features you gain access to include CleanWeb (ad/tracker blocker), MultiHop, WhiteListerTM and unlimited simultaneous logins (one of the USPs of the low-cost VPN).
- Working App for Smart TVs
- 1040+ servers in 60+ countries
- BVI is a safe jurisdiction
- Strict no-logging policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- No free trial available
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of Surfshark!
2. NordVPN: Stream in 4k Quality
The Panama-based NordVPN is another popular choice for Smart TVs. If yours comes equipped with Android OS, you can download the app instantly from the Google Play Store to receive maximum protection while streaming.
It comes with a built-in “SmartPlay” feature, which allows users to access specific-servers for a myriad of streaming platforms in the industry. This includes names like Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
Apart from this, NordVPN offers up to 6 simultaneous connections, OpenVPN protocol support, live chat support, and over 5,500+ servers in 58 countries. If you go for the 3-year plan, you will only pay $3.49/mo.
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of NordVPN!
3. PureVPN: Budget VPN for Samsung TVs
It has amazing ratings on trust-pilot, due to the huge amount of features it offers. NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, Ad/Tracker blocking, IPv6 Leak Protection, Port Forwarding, Kill Switch, DDoS Protection, dedicated IPs, and the list goes on.
Best part of all: you only have to pay $2.91/mo on a 2-year plan, which is perhaps the cheapest in the marketplace, second to Surfshark. All in all, the VPN is a great choice for Smart TV users.
- Samsung TV App VPN Works
- DDoS Protection feature
- 2000+servers in 140 countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple protocol support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of PureVPN!
4. ExpressVPN: Great App Interface for TVs
ExpressVPN is an all-rounder in the marketplace of VPNs. From unblocking and torrenting to leveraging exceptional anonymity online, the provider checks all the right boxes, hence why it usually ranks first in most VPN listings.
Similar to the above, Express too offers amazing multi-platform compatibility. You also gain access to a huge listing of 3,000+ servers in more than 160 locations worldwide and features like StealthVPN.
Just like the above recommendations, ExpressVPN does not face any issues in bypassing geo-restrictions for Netflix US/UK/JP and other streaming platforms. The only catch; its price tag. A 15-months plan will cost you $6.67/mo.
- VPN client Smart TVs
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Round-the-clock live support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of ExpressVPN!
5. Ivacy VPN: Best Option for Unblocking
The Singapore-based provider has once again started gaining fame in the marketplace for its unmatched streaming, unblocking, torrenting, and gaming capabilities, proving its worth as a top VPN service, available for a reasonable price.
It offers a nicely design Samsung Smart TV VPN app, which you download directly from the Google Play Store. It boasts a neat outlook with a location selection menu in the center and the connect button right below it.
If you sign up with their 2-year plan, you will only have to pay a measly $1.99/mo., which includes access to a native app for China (IvacyPrime) and features like Split Tunneling, Kill Switch, IPv6 leak protection, and 5 multi-logins.
- Intuitive Samsung Smart TV app
- 1,000 servers in 100 locations
- Singapore is a safe jurisdiction
- Strict zero logging policy
- Automatic kill switch
- Split tunneling available
- Support needs improvement
How to Setup VPN on Smart TV via 4 Easy Methods?
To access all of these advantages and gain more value out of your Smart TV, you need to know the ways through which you can setup a VPN on your Smart TV first. So, here are 3 easy methods:
Setting Up Samsung Smart TV VPN on a DD-WRT Router
Setting up a VPN on your router is the best method for initializing a VPN connection on your Samsung Smart TV. Since your entire network gets encrypted, you can receive VPN protection on your Smart TV directly through the Wi-Fi:
- Download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any of the VPNs listed above.
- Go to your router settings by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. in the web browser.
- Click on the “Services” tab and open the “VPN” sub-tab in the control panel.
- Enable “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
Start Filling in the OpenVPN Client Settings
- You will now gain access to OpenVPN Configuration Panel, where you can enter custom VPN settings.
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file or server provided from the VPN you signed up with.
- Port Address: You will get this address form your VPN too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES.
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
Getting a Pre-Configured Router VPN for your Samsung Smart TV
For the non-techy users, the above process may get a little difficult to understand. As an alternative, I usually recommend that Samsung Smart TV users wanting a VPN get a pre-configured VPN router, as they are easily configurable.
The experts at Flash Routers make available plenty of pre-configured DD-WRT and Tomato VPN routers. They have a listing of over 16 different VPN services, among which I personally recommend going for ExpressVPN.
Their routers are among the only few that come with a built-in app too. It is known as the ExpressVPN Router app. If you want access to this app, it comes free for users of specific Linksys router models. These include:
- WRT1900AC 13J1
- WRT1900AC 13J2
Setting up a Smart TV VPN using SmartDNS
You can also access website unblocking features by setting up a SmartDNS on your Samsung Smart TV. SmartDNS are offered by VPN Providers themselves. Here is you can set it up on your Samsung Smart TV:
- Use Dynu.com to acquire a unique DDNS hostname.
- Setup your personal account with Dynu.com.
- Log in to your account using your user credentials.
- Select Control Panel and open DDNS Services.
- Click on the Blue Button saying “Add”.
- Add a domain name for yourself.
- Hit the “Add” button and disable “Widlcard Alias.”
- Check the “Enable IPV6 Address” option.
- Click on the option for “Save.”
- Your Dynu account is now valid.
- Buy a valid ExpressVPN subscription.
- Login into the website dashboard.
- Open the “DNS Settings” menu.
- Select “Dynamic DNS Registration.”
- Enter the same hostname you added with Dynu.
- Put the suffix Dynu.com while adding the hostname.
- Click on “Save Hostname” and wait for the “Updated” notification.
- Wait at least 15 minutes for ExpressVPN to start detecting the change in IP.
- Open your Samsung Smart TV and press the “Menu” button on your TV remote
- Push the “Down” button till you reach the option for “Network”
- Choose “Network Status” by pressing the Enter button
- Choose “IP Settings” and click on “DNS Settings”
- Select “Enter Manually” and enter the ExpressVPN DNS Address
- Validate the connection by clicking on “OK.”
- You are now connected to the New Server address.
- Enjoy your Samsung Smart TV to the Fullest!
Setup a VPN for Samsung Smart TV by Sharing your PC Connection
In this method, you will be “sharing” your computer’s internet connection physically with your Smart TV. The process is quite simple and does not require any rocket science. Follow the easy steps below:
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Smart TV and Windows Computer.
- Click on “Windows” icon on the bottom left corner of your PC/laptop.
- Select “Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now you will need to identify your VPN connection here.
- Try to find the option named “TAP- Win32 Adaptor V9”.
- This is usually the name for the VPN connection using the OpenVPN protocol.
- Right-click > Select Properties > Click on the “Sharing” tab.
- Check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Scroll down and select the exact Ethernet port used to connect with your Smart TV.
- Restart your computer and you will now be using a VPN for your Smart TV.
Samsung Smart TV VPN Netflix
Netflix is perhaps the most sought after streaming site in today’s world. Containing shows such as The Crown, Black Mirror, Orange is the New Black, Narcos, and House of Cards.
However, as you probably know Netflix publishes different content libraries for varied countries depending on copyright laws and agreements with partnered distributors.
If a show or movie is not covered by copyright in a certain region, then it wont be available in the content library of that country.
Only a few VPNs can commendably unblock Netflix US and allow you to access a much better content library than you are doing now.
People Also Ask
What app can I unblock with a Smart TV VPN?
By using a VPN, you can unblock a myriad of streaming platforms on your Smart TV, which include Netflix US/UK, BBC iPlayer UK, DirecTV Now, Fox, Hulu, Amazon Prime and HBO.
Can I use a VPN for my Apple TV?
Similar to Tizen, Apple TV’s app store does not host plenty of VPN apps. However, you can check this Apple TV VPN guide for instructions on setting one up.
Is there a budget-friendly VPN for Smart TV?
I have already mentioned two inexpensive options in this Samsung Smart TV guide. However, you can check out our detailed guide for more budget-friendly VPN alternatives.
Should I use a free VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
In addition to adopting shady practices to pay for the costs of managing a VPN, most free tools fail to unblock sites like Netflix and leak your IP. So I do not recommend them to anyone!
Wrapping Things Up
VPNs are fast becoming crucial and indispensable, as geographical restrictions and content limitations increase worldwide on streaming platforms and a myriad of websites.
If you have any queries or have better recommendations, do not hesitate to drop a comment below. Also, feel free to share guide with other Samsung Smart TV users. Adios amigos! 🙂