Samsung Smart TVs are a combination of a computer meeting a set-top box rolled into a single device. To unlock its full capabilities though, you need a solution for bypassing geographical and content limitations. So, here is a round-up on the 5 best Samsung Smart TV VPN services in 2019:
|#1||NordVPN||User-Friendly App for Samsung Smart TVs||$2.99/mo.|
|#2||Surfshark||Fast and Reliable App for Samsung TVs||$1.99/mo.|
|#3||ExpressVPN||Easy-to-Use Smart TV App Interface||$6.67/mo.|
|#4||PureVPN||Feature-Packed Samsung TV App||$2.95/mo.|
|#5||CyberGhost||Splendid App for Samsung Smart TVs||$2.75/mo.|
What is the Best VPN for Samsung Smart TVs?
In my opinion, NordVPN exists as the best VPN for Samsung Smart TVs. In addition to its safe Panamanian location, it offers a dedicated app for Smart TVs, free from the bugs/glitches that come with a bigger screen.
For an extremely low price of $2.99/mo., users get access to 5,700+ servers to unblock streaming platforms and features like Automatic Kill Switch, DoubleVPN, StealthVPN, and Onion over VPN for maximum proteciton.
5 Best Samsung Smart TV VPN Services in 2019
Using a VPN with a Smart TV is a great way to unlock new entertainment on a bigger screen. Below you can find recommendations on the 5 best Samsung Smart TV VPN services that offer dedicated apps, fast HD streaming, and maximum protection:
#1 NordVPN – User-Friendly App for Samsung Smart TVs
Ranked as the most trusted provider in the marketplace, NordVPN goes the extra mile in delivering anonymity and unblocking to users. Based in Panama, you can unblock all sorts of content, minus the hassle of legal notices.
Subscribers to Nord even gain access to a complimentary Smart DNS proxy nicknamed “SmartPlay“. This helps users to access geo-restricted content and stream smoothly on larger screens.
Priced at a minimal $2.99/mo. on a 3-year plan, Samsung Smart TV users also gain access to over 5,700+ servers in 60 countries worldwide. This gives you the ability to seamlessly unblock VoDs like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
- Works with Smart TVs
- 5700+ servers in 60+ countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-logins on 6 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- No port forwarding
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of NordVPN!
#2 Surfshark – Fast and Reliable App for Smart TVs
Surfshark may be a new entry in the marketplace, but one that is quickly growing and ranked number 1 in the most budget friendly VPN services. Despite being incredibly inexpensive, the VPN in a short time has become a prominent name, just like Nord and ExpressVPN.
It provides amazing cross-platform functionality too. If you have a Samsung Smart TV that uses the Android OS, you can download the app from Google Play Store and enjoy remarkable protection on a bigger screen.
A 2-year plan will set you back by $1.99/mo. only. Features you gain access to include CleanWeb (ad/tracker blocker), MultiHop, WhiteListerTM and unlimited simultaneous logins (one of the USPs of the low cost VPN).
- Working App for Smart TVs
- 800 servers in 50 countries.
- BVI is a safe jurisdiction
- Strict no logging policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- No free trial available
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of Surfshark!
#3 ExpressVPN – Easy-to-Use Smart TV App Interface
ExpressVPN is an all-rounder in the marketplace of VPNs. From unblocking and torrenting to leveraging exceptional anonymity online, the provider checks all the right boxes, hence why it usually ranks first in most VPN listings.
Similar to the above, Express too offers amazing multi-platform compatibility. You also gain access to a huge listing of 3,000+ servers in more than 160 locations worldwide and features like StealthVPN.
Just like the above recommendations, ExpressVPN does not face any issues in bypassing geo-restrictions for Netflix US/UK/JP and other streaming platforms. The only catch; its price tag. A 15-months plan will cost you $6.67/mo.
- VPN client Smart TVs
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Round-the-clock live support
- Plans are Expensive
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of ExpressVPN!
#4 PureVPN – Feature-Packed Samsung Smart TV VPN App
Another budget-friendly choice, PureVPN may have had a rocky start in the industry. However, now the service is logs-free and endorsed by huge websites like Forbes, similar to the Panama-based provider, Nord.
It has amazing ratings on trust-pilot, due to the huge amount of features it offers. NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, Ad/Tracker blocking, IPv6 Leak Protection, Port Forwarding, Kill Switch, DDoS Protection, dedicated IPs, and the list goes on.
Best part of all: you only have to pay $2.95/mo. on a 1-year plan, which is perhaps the cheapest in the marketplace, second to Surfshark. All in all, the VPN is a great choice for Smart TV users.
- Samsung TV App VPN Works
- DDoS Protection feature
- 2000+servers in 140 countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple protocol support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of PureVPN!
#5 CyberGhost – Splendid VPN App for Samsung Smart TVs
The Romanian-based CyberGhost is another popular choice for Smart TVs. If yours comes equipped with Android OS, you can download the app instantly from the Google Play Store to receive maximum protection while streaming.
It comes with a built-in “Unblock Streaming” feature, which allows users to access specific-servers for a myriad of streaming platforms in the industry. This includes names like Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
Apart from this, CyberGhost offers up to 7 simultaneous connections, OpenVPN protocol support, live chat support, and over 3,900 servers in 61 countries. If you go for the 3-year plan, you will only pay $2.75/mo.
- Working VPN Smart TV app
- 3900+ servers in 61 countries
- Stealth VPN protection feature
- Dedicated Streaming servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 45 days refund policy
- Slow customer support
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of CyberGhost!
How to Setup VPN on Smart TV via 4 Easy Methods?
VPNs allow you to re-route your internet connection through a different server location before landing on your intended site. This allows you to immaculately bypass geo-restrictions, especially on streaming sites like Netflix.
The extra layer of encryption also ensures no one can snoop in on your activities and that includes your ISPs, government agencies, copyright infringement hunters, and cyber criminals.
To access all of these advantages and gain more value out of your Smart TV, you need to know the ways through which you can setup a VPN on your Smart TV first. So, here are 3 easy methods:
Setting Up Samsung Smart TV VPN on a DD-WRT Router
Setting up a VPN on your router is the best method for initializing a VPN connection on your Samsung Smart TV. Since your entire network gets encrypted, you can receive VPN protection on your Smart TV directly through the Wi-Fi:
- Download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any of the VPNs listed above.
- Go to your router settings by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. in the web browser.
- Click on the “Services” tab and open the “VPN” sub-tab in the control panel.
- Enable “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
Start Filling in the OpenVPN Client Settings
- You will now gain access to OpenVPN Configuration Panel, where you can enter custom VPN settings.
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file or server provided from the VPN you signed up with.
- Port Address: You will get this address form your VPN too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES.
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
Getting a Pre-Configured Router VPN for your Samsung Smart TV
For the non-techy users, the above process may get a little difficult to understand. As an alternative, I usually recommend that Samsung Smart TV users wanting a VPN get a pre-configured VPN router, as they are easily configurable.
The experts at Flash Routers make available plenty of pre-configured DD-WRT and Tomato VPN routers. They have a listing of over 16 different VPN services, among which I personally recommend going for ExpressVPN.
Their routers are among the only few that come with a built-in app too. It is known as the ExpressVPN Router app. If you want access to this app, it comes free for users of specific Linksys router models. These include:
- WRT1900AC 13J1
- WRT1900AC 13J2
Setting up a Smart TV VPN using SmartDNS
You can also access website unblocking features by setting up a SmartDNS on your Samsung Smart TV. SmartDNS are offered by VPN Providers themselves. Here is you can set it up on your Samsung Smart TV:
- Use Dynu.com to acquire a unique DDNS hostname.
- Setup your personal account with Dynu.com.
- Log in to your account using your user credentials.
- Select Control Panel and open DDNS Services.
- Click on the Blue Button saying “Add”.
- Add a domain name for yourself.
- Hit the “Add” button and disable “Widlcard Alias.”
- Check the “Enable IPV6 Address” option.
- Click on the option for “Save.”
- Your Dynu account is now valid.
- Buy a valid ExpressVPN subscription.
- Login into the website dashboard.
- Open the “DNS Settings” menu.
- Select “Dynamic DNS Registration.”
- Enter the same hostname you added with Dynu.
- Put the suffix Dynu.com while adding the hostname.
- Click on “Save Hostname” and wait for the “Updated” notification.
- Wait at least 15 minutes for ExpressVPN to start detecting the change in IP.
- Open your Samsung Smart TV and press the “Menu” button on your TV remote
- Push the “Down” button till you reach the option for “Network”
- Choose “Network Status” by pressing the Enter button
- Choose “IP Settings” and click on “DNS Settings”
- Select “Enter Manually” and enter the ExpressVPN DNS Address
- Validate the connection by clicking on “OK.”
- You are now connected to the New Server address.
- Enjoy your Samsung Smart TV to the Fullest!
Setup a VPN for Samsung Smart TV by Sharing your PC Connection
In this method, you will be “sharing” your computer’s internet connection physically with your Smart TV. The process is quite simple and does not require any rocket science. Follow the easy steps below:
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Smart TV and Windows Computer.
- Click on “Windows” icon on the bottom left corner of your PC/laptop.
- Select “Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now you will need to identify your VPN connection here.
- Try to find the option named “TAP- Win32 Adaptor V9”.
- This is usually the name for the VPN connection using the OpenVPN protocol.
- Right-click > Select Properties > Click on the “Sharing” tab.
- Check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Scroll down and select the exact Ethernet port used to connect with your Smart TV.
- Restart your computer and you will now be using a VPN for your Smart TV.
How to Use a VPN on Samsung Smart TVs – Reddit Reviews
Many netizens turn to Reddit when in need of technical solutions. You can find many users on numerous threads asking questions on how to use a VPN on their Samsung Smart TVs.
Most answers revolve around using a SmartDNS connection by altering the DNS gateway directly from the Smart TV, but this is not considered a safe option.
Just like we told you, the best way to use a VPN on Samsung Smart TV is to get a pre-configured router. You can find one from the experts at Flash Routers.
Once setup, you can use the secure internet tunnel on all devices, including your Samsung Smart TV and Apple TVs too. The user has also given some router recommendations: pfSense and Mikrotik.
Samsung Smart TV VPN Netflix
Netflix is perhaps the most sought after streaming site in today’s world. Containing shows such as The Crown, Black Mirror, Orange is the New Black, Narcos, and House of Cards.
However, as you probably know Netflix publishes different content libraries for varied countries depending on copyright laws and agreements with partnered distributors.
If a show or movie is not covered by copyright in a certain region, then it wont be available in the content library of that country.
Only a few VPNs can commendably unblock Netflix US and allow you to access a much better content library than you are doing now.
People Also Ask
What app can I unblock with a Smart TV VPN?
By using a VPN, you can unblock a myriad of streaming platforms on your Smart TV, which include Netflix US/UK, BBC iPlayer UK, DirecTV Now, Fox, Hulu, Amazon Prime and HBO.
Can I use a VPN for my Apple TV?
Similar to Tizen, Apple TV’s app store does not host plenty of VPN apps. However, you can check this Apple TV VPN guide for instructions on setting one up.
Is there a budget-friendly VPN for Smart TV?
I have already mentioned two inexpensive options in this Samsung Smart TV guide. However, you can check out our detailed guide for more budget-friendly VPN alternatives.
Should I use a free VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
In addition to adopting shady practices to pay for the costs of managing a VPN, most free tools fail to unblock sites like Netflix and leak your IP. So I do not recommend them to anyone!
Wrapping Things Up
VPNs are fast becoming crucial and indispensable, as geographical restrictions and content limitations increase worldwide on streaming platforms and a myriad of websites.
If you have any queries or have better recommendations, do not hesitate to drop a comment below. Also, feel free to share guide with other Samsung Smart TV users. Adios amigos! 🙂