Established in Taiwan, QNAP is an enterprise-level corporation that focuses on producing Network-Attached Storage (NAS) appliances for surveillance, storage management, virtualization, and file sharing.
The QNAP App Center allows users to leverage powerful home entertainment and business apps, receiving the COMPUTEX Best Choice Award 2018, IF Product Design Award 2014, and PCWorld’s 50 Best Tech Products 2013.
However, since NAS apps do have some security vulnerabilities, it is imperative to keep your activities anonymous. This is where using a VPN comes in. Here are recommendations on the best QNAP VPN services:
3 Recommended Best VPN for Qnap NAS
There is no doubt that QNAP NAS offers great features and compatibility for boosting your file security/accessibility by providing a centralized location of storage, you can access from anywhere in the world.
However, the NAS is still prone to security vulnerabilities from the internet, and if you really want to leverage security – it is essential to choose a powerful provider.
Below is a overview of the Best VPNs for QNAP NAS, based on their performance, installation, reliability, support, features, and servers!
|#1||ExpressVPN||An All-Rounder VPN that Supports QNAP||$6.67/mo.|
|#2||NordVPN||Leverage Strong Privacy with QNAP NAS||$2.99/mo.|
|#3||VyprVPN||Offers OpenVPN Support for QNAP NAS||$6.67/mo.|
ExpressVPN – An All-Rounder VPN that Supports QNAP
ExpressVPN stands at the top of the game in almost every aspect. From its 30-day no-quibble refund guarantee, 24/7 customer support, and strong 256-bit AES encryption, the VPN can meet all your security/privacy needs.
In fact, the VPN is so secure that even the Turkish Government could not beat its no logs policy, during an investigation concerning the assassination of the Russian ambassador of Turkey.
The pricing may be a little high, starting at $12.95 per month. However, if you want to receive the utmost level of security on your QNAP NAS, ExpressVPN is definitely the best option.
The provider is compatible to almost all QNAP products. Not to mention, they offer detailed FAQs and guides for troubleshooting and setting up the VPN.
- PPTP protocol support for QNAP NAS
- 30-day refund guarantee available
- 3000+ servers in 160 locations
- StealthVPN for Russia and China
- A DarkWeb site and SmartDNS
- Maybe a little expensive!
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of ExpressVPN!
NordVPN – Leverage Strong Privacy with Qnap NAS
Located in Panama, NordVPN ranks as a privacy-focused provider both: in the eyes of customers and review websites. Thanks to being located in a country with less suffocating Data Retention Laws, it enjoys a strategic advantage over others.
Add this to its huge list of 5700+ servers in 61 countries, ability to establish 6 simultaneous connections, leveraging a 30-day refund guarantee, and features like DoubleVPN and Tor over VPN, the VPN is incredibly safe to use!
The provider even offers obfuscated servers for those located in countries with tough internet laws like China. You even have tools like the WIFISec and CyberSec boost your anonymity on public Wi-Fi networks and block unauthorized DNS requests or DPI attacks.
If that were not enough, NordVPN even offers compatibility with QNAP. You have setup guides available for setting multiple protocols. However, if you want to leverage maximum security, go for OpenVPN!
- Supports OpenVPN on QNAP NAS
- DoubleVPN and Tor over VPN
- CyberSec for Anti-Malware
- SOCKS5 Proxies/Split Tunneling
- Obfuscated Servers for China
- Dedicated IP Addresses
- No port forwarding
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of NordVPN!
VyprVPN – Offers OpenVPN Support for QNAP NAS
Rising to fame in a short span of time, VyprVPN is a Switzerland-based provider, which offers quite the remarkable product to privacy-focused and streaming maniacs. It successfully unblocks Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
At the same time, you have 700+ servers in 70 countries worldwide, along with technologies like VyprDNS and Chameleon, which boost your protection against DDoS and DPI attacks!
For unblocking websites, the VyprDNS even adds a customized and secure DNS into your computers’ IP address, which tricks websites into thinking that you are located in the approved list of countries.
The best part of all: VyprVPN offers support for QNAP devices, even providing a customized gateway/dashboard to access the client from your QNAP NAS, along with offering detailed guides on how to set multiple protocols like OpenVPN.
- OpenVPN Support for QNAP NAS
- Fast Connection Speeds
- Powerful Encryption Protocols
- 700+ Servers in 70 Countries
- Chameleon and VyprDNS
- Bitcoin Payment Not Supported
- Billing Issues for Some Users
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 review of VyprVPN!
Quick QNAP Setup – L2TP/IPSec
When it comes to setting up a VPN on your QNAP NAS, you need to have a little technical knowledge. Even if you do not, I will try my best to provide easy instructions for you to follow.
Before we begin, make sure that your QNAP NAS supports the L2TP/IPSec protocol. I could have gone with PPTP, but since it comes equipped with no solid encryption, it might be better to start with a secure option.
L2TP is a combination of PPTP and L2F, while IPSec is a protocol used for integrity checks and privacy. The mixture of the two creates a high-security VPN. Follow the steps below to set it up on your QNAP NAS:
- Go to the “App Center” and get the QVPN Service.
- Once done, search for “L2TP/IPSec” and add it to your QNAP NAS.
- After the installation completes, head to the “Control Panel” in QTS 4.3.
- Click on “Applications”, select “VPN Server Settings” and enable “L2TP/IPSec”.
- Enter the start and end IP addresses for defining the IP range for the VPN clients.
- If you do not have any details on the IP address, message your VPN provider.
- Usually, you can get free servers for standard PPTP and L2TP.
- Enter the pre-shared key for verifying and authenticating the connection.
- Select the maximum number of concurrent connections you want to receive support for.
- Decide on a network interface and specify the DNS server manually.
QNAP OpenVPN Setup
There are plenty of protocols, you can use for QNAP NAS to boost your overall privacy and security. If you want to receive maximum anonymity, nothing can beat OpenVPN. This open-source software and protocol support encrypted VPN access.
It establishes connections by downloading configuration files and then uploading the settings file to the OpenVPN client. However, you can also set up the protocol on your QNAP NAS. Below we highlight the steps in detail:
- In the QTS 4.3, go to the “Control Panel”.
- Click on “Applications” and then “VPN Server”.
- Find and select “VPN Server Settings” from the menu.
- You will now have to enable the OpenVPN Server for connection.
- Enter the configuration settings you received from your provider.
- This includes the start and ends IP address for connecting to the VPN server.
- Select the VPN Server Port. Choose between TCP and UDP for OpenVPN
- Configure the maximum number of concurrent client connections supported.
- Select an authentication method and choose a network interface you find appropriate.
- Tick “Redirect Gateway” to direct all IP network traffic through the OpenVPN server.
- Enable compressed VPN link and specify DNS server manually, if needed.
QNAP VPN Client
Setting up manual VPN connections via QNAP is a little technical,. As such, it may not be easy to understand for novice users. This is why most prefer opting for something that presents all options and features conveniently in one location.
If you want the same, then you might want to check out QNAP Turbo NAS, which comes equipped with a VPN client service. You can use it for establishing a PPTP or OpenVPN connection with multiple VPN settings.
QNAP VPN Server
You are probably now aware that QNAP NAS proves to be an incredibly reliable device that not only boosts your security, but also offers an intuitive interface for installing apps like Kodi.
However, what if I told you, there is more you can do from a QNAP VPN Server? Once you have set up and established a connection, you even have the ability to add different users to varied servers/protocols.
Simply go to the QTS 4.3., open applications > VPN Service > VPN Client Management > “Add VPN Users”!
QNAP Kodi Setup Tutorial
Many users have reported receiving hefty DMCA fines for simply watching a movie or TV show on the application, which calls out for a serious remedy. This comes in the form of a VPN connection, but what if you could take the security up a notch??
Previously, Kodi was available in the list of QNAP’s approved apps, which was highly convenient for your anonymity. As such, installing unofficial applications like Kodi is incredibly easy! You will need:
- Admin access to your QNAP NAS.
- Mac or Windows system on the same network as the QNAP NAS.
- HDMI-enabled NAS for easy installation via the official QNAP HD Station Application.
- Official QNAP IP remote control or QNAP Q Remote app for controlling user-interface.
Kodi Installation Steps on QNAP NAS
- Download the Kodi V18 OPKG file from here supported by QNAP QTS.
- Launch the QNAP QTS via your browser and open up the App Center.
- Search for “QNAT HD Station” and install the application to continue.
- Head back to the app center and select the option to install an app manually.
- Browse for the OPKG file you downloaded earlier and double-click/open.
- The QNAP HD Station will now add the OPKG File. Hit the install button.
- Connect your NAS to a monitor/TV via an HDMI cable to explore the interface.
- You will find Kodi among other HDMI-enabled apps like YouTube and Plex.
- Go into station settings and select Kodi as the default boot app for HD Station.
- Enjoy using the open-source Kodi (XBMC) application on your QNAP NAS.
Why Should You Use QNAP?
Similar to IoT devices, QNAP’s main mission is to redefine how technologies are used, meaning most of its devices are connected to the internet constantly.
These Network Attached Storage (NAS) systems typically become a backup “hub” for storing all vital personal data and files, including your music, videos, photos, documents, and other sensitive information.
Consider QNAP as an external hard drive. You can take it around anywhere, anytime without actually carrying it with you. A few other uses of QNAP, include:
By using QNAP, you can feel assured that you will never lose a file/document in your life ever again. The technology is your complete backup solution. It is free from issues like losing a computer/laptop or dealing with a hard-drive failure/crash!
By connecting multiple devices to your QNAP, all your data gets stored and updated regularly in a centralized location. This makes it easier for co-workers and family/friends alike to access their files from anywhere, without any hassle.
While working you often have to deal with a dilemma “where do you want me to send the file?” With QNAP, you can share files instantly via a unique link, only available to those granted access!
Nowadays, even pictures are not that small, and files are getting larger with HD standards taking over the industry. QNAP provides extra storage for heavy files, making your life easier!
QNAP NAS devices grant maximum anonymity and privacy for all files stored. It creates a personal cloud only accessible to you and your family. As such, you can feel assured all data is safe, reliable, and secure!
Similar to a VPN that allows you to create a private network you can access anywhere from the world, QNAP provides a Remote Access feature, which allows you to edit/modify/add/remove files anywhere.
Why You Need the Best VPN for QNAP
QNAP NAS boxes will typically allow users to set up one or more VPN connections, which ensures complete privacy and security of your data both: externally and internally. Below are a few more reasons why users should invest in the Best VPN for QNAP:
- They help keep all your online activity anonymous from local ISPs, government agencies, and copyright trolls by masking search history, online behavior, and user pattern!
- With a VPN, you can finally gain unrestricted access to sites that are geo-blocked or censor specific content in your country, city, enterprise, college, or school.
- This point is much similar to the above. It typically reiterates how a VPN can be used for bypassing geo-restrictions to access content normally restricted on VoD services like Netflix, iPlayer, etc!
- By using a VPN, QNAP NAS users can feel relieved that their history, behavior, login credentials, and other private data are hidden from prying eyes in public places of FREE Wi-Fi like pubs, bars, libraries!
- Access P2P/Torrenting and pirated streaming websites without receiving hefty DMCA fines. VPNs mask your identity, making you invisible to anti-piracy and copyright hunters!
QNAP VPN Reddit
Reddit exists as one of the most helpful communities online, where you can find discussions, debates, web content rating, news aggregation, product advice, and answers to confusing topics in a single location.
Registered members submit content to the site via images, text posts, and links, which include dialogs from novice and experts in the industry alike. Among the many topics discussed also involve best vpns reddit and QNAP.
People Also Ask
Is QNAP Secure?
Yes, indeed QNAP NAS is incredibly secure. Apart from the VPN implementation, the product was created for making accessing files easier and safer. Therefore, when you setup a VPN on QNAP, you leverage better security than ever.
Is QNAP Compatible with Mac?
Indeed, QNAP is compatible with MAC. After all, it is more than a central storage hub. As a result, it offers MAC OS users plenty of solutions for backing up desktop data. Similar to Windows, you can even set up VPNs to boost your overall security online.
Wrapping Things Up
I hope this guide helps users understand how to set up a VPN on QNAP NAS. Make sure to consider the Best VPNs for QNAP to ensure that you receive maximum digital anonymity online.
After all, we are nearing a world, where the internet is constantly under threat by greedy and invasive governments. Every user is tracked and monitored, making it near impossible to enjoy freedom of speech.
So, if you want to avoid all that, sign up with a trustworthy provider and use it for boosting your security via QNAP, across all devices/users in your home. Have a lovely day ahead. Adios Amigos! 🙂