5 Best VPNs for Traveling Abroad in 2022
Need access to the best VPN for traveling? Exploring different sights, cultures, foods, and beliefs is probably one of the biggest joys of traveling. Nothing is more therapeutic than giving that brain a little rest from everyday exhaustion to breathe in the world’s beauty.
Now, avid travelers have for long used technology for traveling. However, while it is awesome to stay connected when traveling abroad to post photos and status updates on your social media, it is imperative to know that your digital privacy and security are at risk.
And, if you do not want your visits to different hostels/hotels, train stations, cafes, and airports to turn into something traumatic, you need to use the best VPN. Subscribing to a VPN for traveling is no different than locking your valuables when visiting an unknown destination.
These online privacy tools protect you from the digital dangers of your endeavors. Of all the VPNs tested, ExpressVPN is my top choice for traveling. Continue reading to learn more about it and our other recommendations, which are fast, secure, and anonymous!
Quick Overview: Best VPN for International Travel in 2022
- ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Avid Travelers. High-speed RAM servers for travelers. 5 simultaneous connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee. 1-Year Plan costs $6.67/mo
- NordVPN: Secure & Anonymous Travel VPN. 5,500+ VPN servers and intuitive apps. Simultaneous connections on 6 devices. 2-Year Plan costs $3.29/mo
- Surfshark: Best VPN Service for Travelers. 1,700+ servers in 63+ countries worldwide. Unlimited simultaneous connections. 2-Year Plan costs $2.30/mo
- CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price & Value. Dedicated IPs are available for traveling users. Simultaneous connections on 7 devices. 1-Year Plan costs $2.65/mo
- PureVPN: Cheap VPN for traveling abroad. 6,500+ servers in 74 countries worldwide. Simultaneous connections on 10 devices. 1-Year Plan costs $3.24/mo
5 Best VPN for International Travel in 2022 [In-Depth Analysis]
Can’t access a particular site or get around a geo-block? Scared of getting connected to the public Wi-Fi network? Check out these 5 best VPNs for traveling.
ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Avid Travelers
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2011, ExpressVPN is the preferred choice for many travelers, perfect for leveraging security and speeds. It has a verified no logs policy that even the Turkish authorities could not bypass, audited by two firms; PWC and Cure53!
You have apps available for all popular platforms, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. For connectivity, users have access to 3000+ servers in more than 160 VPN server locations in 94 countries. You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial to test the product or avail of the 30-day refund policy.
The only catch; ExpressVPN’s price tag. A 15-months plan will cost you $6.67/mo, but considering the VPNs reliability and unblocking capabilities, the price is justified. You can also use the provider to bypass geo-restrictions and content limitations on streaming platforms, such as
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of ExpressVPN!
ExpressVPN Pricing Plans
The current pricing plans offered by ExpressVPN are listed here.
NordVPN: Secure & Anonymous Travel VPN
Launched in 2012 and based in Panama, NordVPN is an excellent choice for security and privacy-conscious travelers. It was also among the few to get its security audits done back in 2012, ensuring users remain safe at all times. Their apps are also incredibly reliable and lightweight.
Priced at a minimal $3.29/mo on a 2-year plan, travelers using NordVPN get access to over 5,500+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide. You can even test the service via NordVPN’s Free Trial and 30-day refund guarantee.
The provider is free from all WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks, uses AES-256 ciphers with an RSA-4096 key and SHA384 for hash authentication, and provides binge-watchers with a specialized list of servers for unblocking popular Video-on-Demand (VoD) services, which include:
- 5100+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No-Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2022 NordVPN review!
NordVPN Pricing Plans
The current pricing plans offered by NordVPN are listed here.
Surfshark: Featured-pack VPN
Launched in 2018 and based in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark is the best Travel VPN in the marketplace. It offers unmatched support for unblocking, browsing, streaming, torrenting, and gaming, all while boosting your online security and anonymity when traveling.
Users have access to 1,700+ servers in 63+ countries worldwide for connectivity, offering amazing speeds and privacy. You even have a 7-day Surfshark free trial for iOS and Android devices if you want to test the service. As for other platforms, there is a generous 30-day refund.
Surfshark even makes available static IPs, Multi-Hop servers, CleanWeb, and unlimited simultaneous connections on a single subscription. The best part of all: the VPN faces no issues in unblocking a multitude of streaming services, such as
- 1,700+ Servers in 63+ Countries
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of Surfshark!
SurfsharkVPN Pricing Plans
The current pricing plans offered by Surfshark are listed here.
CyberGhost VPN: Best VPN for Beginners
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is a renowned choice for unblockers and streamers worldwide. It offers the largest server network in the industry, making it perfect for travelers who want to shift locations and appear local when browsing through discounts/deals.
CyberGhost easily bypasses geo-restrictions and VPN bans on Netflix and other popular streaming sites like Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now. The service offers specialized servers that you can find through the search bar!
For connectivity, users have access to over 7,800 servers in 90 countries worldwide, including features like 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, and a navigation bar for finding specific servers. The provider even utilizes obfuscation technology for unblocking streaming platforms.
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- 7800 Servers in 90 Countries
- 1-Day Free VPN Trial Available
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- Slow Customer Support
CyberGhost VPN Review
For more information, check out this full 2022 CyberGhost review!
CyberGhost VPN Pricing Plans
The current pricing plans offered by CyberGhost are listed here.
PureVPN: Cheap VPN for travelling Abroad
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in British Virgin Islands, PureVPN is a low-cost option for budget-hunter travellers. It has been endorsed by Forbes, audited by AltiusIT, and offers many advanced features like DNS Leak Protection, Automatic Kill Switch, NAT Firewall, and Dedicated IPs.
Those traveling can bypass all restrictions on social media platforms, Google services, and streaming platforms via PureVPN’s impressive infrastructure of 3,200+ servers in 140+ countries. You even have a 30-day refund and PureVPN free trial available if you want to test the service.
To get the best value, I recommend going for their 1-year plan that starts at $3.24/mo. Once subscribed, you can access the “popular websites” menu in all available apps to unblock streaming platforms. These include:
- DDoS Protection Feature
- 6500+ Servers in 74 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple Protocol Support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of PureVPN!
PureVPN Pricing Plans
The current pricing plans offered by PureVPN are listed here.
How to Set Up a VPN for Travelers?
To set up the best VPN for traveling abroad:
- Go to a reputable VPN provider’s website. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Create an account and purchase a subscription.
- Download and install ExpressVPN’s app from the website.
- Launch the app and select an appropriate server location.
- Hit Connect to enjoy a seamless online experience!
Top 5 Reasons Why You need a VPN while traveling in 2022
There are countless reasons you should think of getting a VPN while traveling abroad. From bypassing blocks to saving a few bucks, VPNs are a lifesaver.
Let’s see why you need to know the best VPN while traveling internationally in detail.
- Access Geo-Restricted Websites and Popular Services: VPNs help you unblock BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, imposing geo-restrictions that prevent users from outside the US from accessing the VoD services and their content. You can also access chat applications like WhatsApp, Skype, and Facebook Messenger, which are not easy to use in places like Egypt, Iran, and Morocco. Even Google Services may be banned in regimes like China.
- Make Payments via Local Credit Cards: VPNs help in circumstances where some services become very inaccessible due to localization issues. For instance, if you live in the US and make all payments using local credit cards, a VPN can help you do the same elsewhere.
- Keep You Safe on Public Wi-Fi Networks: Using public Wi-Fi can put your data at risk. Since you are using various Wi-Fi access points every day when traveling, secure all activities via a VPN and stay anonymous.
- Get Access to Cheaper Flight Tickets: VPNs can help you leverage cheaper pricing on hotel bookings and airplane tickets. By connecting to servers in different countries/cities, you can access special discounts and pricing, which may otherwise not be available.
- Secure All Your Banking Activities: Using a specific dedicated IP address assigned to you by a VPN service will also make it easier to log into your bank account. Dedicated IPs go the extra mile in delivering security for online transactions.
Comparison Report of Top 5 Best VPNs for Travel in 2022
Here’s a quick comparison of the best VPNs for international travel in 2022:
|Unblocking Capabilities||Unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, and other platforms||Unblocks Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other platforms||Unblocks Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, and other platforms||Unblocks Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, and other platforms||Unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, and other platforms|
|Compatibility||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Kindle, routers||Windows, macOS, iOS Android, Linus,||Windows, PC, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux||macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Game consoles|
|Pricing||$6.67/mo (1-Year Plan)||$3.29/mo (2-Year Plan)||$2.30/mo (2-Year Plan)||$2.65/mo (1-Year Plan)||$3.24/mo (1-Year Plan)|
|Simultaneous Device Connections||5||6||7||7||10|
|In-Depth Review||ExpressVPN Review 2022||NordVPN Review 2022||Surfshark Review 2022||CyberGhost Review 2022||PureVPN Review 2022|
How to pick the best VPN for foreign travel?
While picking the best VPN for travel, make sure that the VPN has fast connection speeds, solid security features, and tunneling options to swiftly bypass strict geo-restrictions, make video calls and more without lags.
What is the best VPN for travel?
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly the best VPN for travel because it strikes the right balance between online security and speed. The expansive server network is another plus making it work all across the globe.
Should you use a VPN while traveling abroad?
Yes, it’s recommended to use a premium VPN while traveling abroad because it encrypts your sensitive data like credit card information and other identifying information, and lets you access websites that might be blocked in the country you’re traveling to.
How to use VPN when traveling?
To use a VPN when traveling overseas:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN, the best VPN for international travel.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your device.
- Connect to the internet and open the VPN.
- Choose an appropriate server.
Do I need a travel router to make a VPN work?
A travel router isn’t necessary to make a VPN work when traveling. It’s best to carry a travel router if you have more than one device with you.
How to set up a VPN on a travel router?
Here’s how you can set up a VPN on a mini travel router.
- Subscribe to a decent VPN provider. ExpressVPN is the best VPN for users traveling overseas.
- Look for an OpenVPN configuration and certificate.
- Download and create a .zip file.
- Sign in to your router’s GUI.
- Find the OpenVPN tab.
- Upload your .zip file containing the configuration and certificate.
- Once installed, activate your VPN profile.
- You may be asked for VPN authentication.
Note: Login using your VPN credentials. This is a one-time practice and after this, your VPN should be up and running.
The last thing anybody needs during vacationing or traveling abroad for business is getting all their accounts and IDs hacked by simply being a little careless about their online privacy.
The only way to truly enjoy any experience outside your home country is to cover all aspects of your digital security. Getting the best VPN for travelling is crucial to meeting those needs.
ExpressVPN wins this category and is the recommended choice for all travelers with all factors considered. You can consider trying it risk-free through its free trial hack and make the most out of its 30-day money-back guarantee!
Do share if our tips help you out in any way, and of course, do not hesitate to share the article with your travel buddies, who are unaware of the increasing online vulnerabilities!