05 Best VPNs for South Africa in 2020 (Fastest & Cost-Effective)
Ever found yourself confused when it comes to choosing from the list of best VPNs for South Africa? Here, in this post, you will find insights to top South Africa VPNs that will work wonders for bypassing geo-restrictions.
In 2017, millions of South Africans had their personal and banking details leaked online. In the end, it turned out that a real estate company, Aida’s open web server had been the root cause.
As further information came to light, it turned out several other well-reputed companies were guilty of storing sensitive user information on vulnerable servers.
This is why it is necessary for netizens in South Africa to invest in reliable best VPNs for South Africa, as to gain protection from invasive companies and third-parties wanting your personal information.
List of Best VPNs for South Africa to Access African (RSA) Content
Here you will find our first-rate list of best VPNs for South Africa.
- PureVPN: 36 dedicated Servers | Giving expats seamless access | Best Price: $2.91/mo
- Surfshark: 5 servers in Bloemfontein | Unblocking local content | Best Price: $1.99/mo
- ExpressVPN: 3 Servers in Cape Town | Fastest servers | Best Price: $6.67/mo
- CyberGhost: 10 Servers in South Africa | Number of flexible plans | Best Price: $2.75/mo
- Ivacy VPN: 10 South African Servers for expats | Decently priced at just $2.25/mo
How The Best VPNs in South Africa Helps You?
The current laws that deal with internet privacy are obsolete and do not properly address users’ concerns about their online privacy.
The POPI Act is a modern piece of legislation that attempts to deal with that. However, it will take years for the parliament to formally rectify the bill in addition to the loopholes that have already been identified.
Getting a VPN is the most natural and sensible decision to make as it would eliminate any possibility of your data being accessed without your permission online.
It would also give you the ability to access content from Netflix and other streaming sites that have geo-blocks on them.
By using the best VPN in South Africa, you’ll be more secure than you’ve ever been online while being able to enjoy any kind of content without worrying about your privacy.
Qualities of Best VPNs for South Africa
- South African servers you can benefit from watching local content
- VPN connection speed South African servers offer you
- Effectiveness of South Africa VPN streaming, torrenting and browsing
- Double encryption protection feature to keep you safe from cyber theft activities
- Log-policy that is strict enough to ensure that nobody can ever spy on your online activity
- Overcoming online restrictions in a smart way outside of South Africa
- Stability a VPN provides for a seamless internet connection.
- Kill switch feature to protect your data
5 Best VPNs for South African (RSA) Residents and Expats
Now that you know what a VPN does for you, the natural question is what are some of the options for the best South Africa VPN. Here’s a list to make the decision easier for you.
1. PureVPN: 2000+ Servers in 140+ Countries (36 African Servers)
If you’re looking for an inexpensive VPN that can tick all the necessary boxes, then PureVPN is the VPN for you.
Other features include complete compatibility for all major operating systems on mobile and desktop as well as smart devices, 5 Multi-logins as well as full accessibility to geo-restricted Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ content.
- Unrestricted Netflix, Hulu access.
- A 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Cross-compatibility for all platforms.
- The user interface can be a little complicated.
2. Surfshark: 1700+ Servers in 61+ Countries (5 African Servers)
Surfshark operates out of the British Virgin Islands, making it one of the most trustable names when it comes to VPNs.
There are more than 1700+ international servers that Surfshark has in 61+ countries, including servers inside South Africa giving you access to local content on SABC, M-Net, and Moja Love.
- Camouflage Mode masks you from your ISP.
- 1040+ global servers in 140+ countries.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- Customer service is slow.
3. ExpressVPN: 3000+ Servers in 94 Countries (3 African Servers)
Since its beginnings, ExpressVPN has been a consistent and reliable VPN option for users all around the world.
It’s certainly more expensive than some of its competitors but you can really see where your extra money’s going with its incredibly user-friendly interface, high-speed servers in 94 different countries, cross-compatibility for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux as well as gaming consoles.
It has the industry-standard AES 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN (TCP and UDP) protocol, there’s no reason why users shouldn’t seriously consider ExpressVPN.
- Kill Switch is the best in the industry.
- A 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Supports L2TP, OpenVPN, IKEv2, PPTP, and IPSec.
- More expensive than the rest.
4. CyberGhost: 6100+ Servers in 89+ Countries (10 African Servers)
It offers access to 6100+ servers across 89+ countries including 10 dedicated servers inside South Africa.
It is compatible with iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows as well as Linux.
Its 256-Bit encryption with its OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec and PPTP protocols, allows you to browse the internet without any worries about your privacy.
- A 45-day money-back guarantee.
- 7 multi logins.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- VPN connection speeds can lag at times.
5. Ivacy VPN: 2000+ Servers in 100+ Countries (10 African Servers)
Being one of the oldest VPN providers certainly makes Ivacy a reliable and safe option.
Users get all the standard options such as cross-compatibility and support for iOS, Mac, Windows, and Windows letting you choose between major protocols like L2TP, OpenVPN, Stealth, iKev, L2TP or PPTP.
It allows you to stream all your favorite content on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and HBO without the troublesome buffering speeds by eliminating speed throttling.
- No-logs policy.
- IPv6 Leak Protection.
- Friendly customer service.
- Tech support can be lacking at times.
Will a VPN for South Africa Protect You From South Africa’s Privacy Laws?
South African laws that deal with privacy and internet freedom are outdated and thus unclear on how they apply to websites operating from outside South African jurisdiction.
The right to privacy is protected under Section 14 of the 1996 Constitution of South Africa.
However, the section does not expressly discuss the issue of safety on the internet.
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act or POPIA) is meant to end the speculation about how South Africa deals with issues related to user information and privacy online.
Is the POPI Act Effective?
The POPI Act is meant to amend the current laws to reflect international trends and laws on privacy by regulating how websites collect information on users browsing patterns and internet activity.
However, the Bill is still awaiting approval and as per some of its criticisms, it has loopholes that would allow third-parties to monitor user activity online.
It is advisable for users to opt for the best VPN in South Africa to ensure that they protect their digital privacy.
Not only does a VPN South Africa increase your internet security, but it also gives you access to a host of other features that will surely improve your user experience online.
How to Get a South African IP Address
A good and reliable VPN service will likely give you the option to choose from thousands of servers located in hundreds of different countries, this should include South Africa.
You may want a South African IP address to access local content that may be geo-locked.
To get a South African IP address, follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN service, the recommended choice is PureVPN.
- Download and install the PureVPN app on the device (you can use it on 5 different devices at once)
- Enter your login credentials and select a South African server.
- Make that you’ve selected the appropriate mode i.e. Internet freedom.
- Once you’re connected, continue browsing and streaming all your favorite South African content.
Best South African VPNs FAQs
Are VPNs Legal in South Africa?
Yes, South Africans can choose the best South Africa VPN without having to worry about any legal troubles.
However, Chapter XIII of The Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002 makes it a criminal office to gain access to data via hacking and packet sniffing.
So, you cannot use VPNs for any form of digital extortion, fraud, and forgery.
What is the best VPN for Android?
Almost all top-of-the-line VPN services offer users complete support for all major OS’ including Android.
The best option to go for would be PureVPN as the user-interface is easy to use on Android while being offering one of the securest network connections on the market.
Are there VPN servers in South Africa?
Yes, the best VPN South Africa options will give you access to servers based in South Africa allowing you to access South African content if you’re outside South Africa.
What is the best free VPN in South Africa?
There are thousands of online VPN services that offer users the chance to use their services for free.
However, it is not recommended to opt for these services since there is no guarantee that your connection is indeed safe or secure in addition to problems such as data limits, server limitations as well as high disconnection rates.
A paid service will get you a reliable VPN connection that can truly mask your online activity.
A reliable and safe VPN is just what users in South Africa need, in order to protect themselves online.
However, if users want the best option for their VPN South Africa needs then no other choice could be better than PureVPN.
Everything from the dedicated servers, the encryption protocol, the multi-logins as well as the modest price leaves little to no reason why you shouldn’t choose it to be your VPN provider.