Hulu VPN Blocked? 5 Best VPNs that work with Hulu (2020)
Using a Hulu VPN to unblock the US-based streaming platform is quite common. Majority-owned and controlled by the Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, Hulu is the inception of three highly famous US television networks (NBC, Fox, and ABC) joining hands together.
As such, it contains a huge database of content from other networks, including childhood favorites like the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, PBS, SyFy, Style, and FX. Most episodes appear the day after airing, which is twice as fast as Netflix and a treat for binge-watchers!
Sadly, you cannot watch Hulu outside the US, unless you shift your location. However, sometimes even when using a VPN, you may encounter problems with unblocking. This is why it becomes necessary to invest in a VPN solution that remains unaffected by the ban.
Best VPN Services for Hulu: Quick Guide
- Surfshark: Best VPN Service for Hulu. All US servers unblock Hulu seamlessly. Available for $1.99/mo
- PureVPN: 490+ US Servers for Hulu. Browser Extension Has an Unblock Hulu Option. Costs $2.91/mo
- NordVPN: 4K Streaming on Hulu | Seamless Streaming via US Servers on Hulu. Available for $3.49/mo
- ExpressVPN: Smoothly Unblocks Hulu. Access different Hulu Libraries Anytime. Costs only $6.67/mo
- CyberGhost: Fast and Secure VPN for Hulu . Dedicated servers are available for Hulu US $2.75/mo
Why do you Need the Best VPN for Hulu?
Since the phenomenal rise of online streaming as a major form of entertainment, Hulu has been a central player in the domain competing with the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime.
However, if you try and access this service outside the US, you will get a black screen on which there is a message notifying you that “currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.”
Due to this issue, binge-watchers who want to access Hulu-specific content began using VPNs to bypass the geo-restrictions. Sadly, distributors partnered with the VoD realized this activity was leading to a loss in revenue.
As such, Hulu was urged to take actionable steps similar to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime, which eventually led to the streaming platform imposing a ban on VPN/proxy services altogether.
This is what makes it necessary to subscribe to a VPN service to bypass the ban, especially if you want to avoid seeing Hulu VPN errors like the one below and enjoy streaming your favorite Hulu movies/TV shows.
5 Best VPNs for Hulu to Defeat the VPN Ban
Here is a list of the 5 best Hulu VPN services. I have even added the price and trust pilot rating for each to ease the decision-making process:
1. Surfshark: Budget VPN for Hulu
Surfshark comes first in this list, due to the factor of affordability. Despite having one of the most budget-friendly pricing in the market, the BVI-based provider goes head-to-head against top names like ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
Before you connect to a server though, do remember to switch the protocol from IKEv2 to OpenVPN (UDP), otherwise, you will encounter the “disable your anonymizer” error. Plans available by Surfshark:
- 5 US servers unblock Hulu
- Headquartered in BVI
- Unlimited multi-logins
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- No Free Trial Available
For more information, read this full 2020 review of Surfshark!
2. PureVPN: 490+ US Servers for Hulu
When I inquired from PureVPN’s live chat support about bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu and other VoDs, the agent told us that PureVPN only supports Hulu on its Chrome Extension on Windows/Mac.
Just make sure to clear your browser cache before accessing the Hulu site, or as a simpler solution launch the “private mode” on Mozilla Firefox or “Incognito mode” on none other than, Google Chrome. Plans available by PureVPN include:
- “Unblock Hulu” Option Available
- Dedicated IPs available
- Multi-logins on 10 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- 2,000+ servers in 140 countries
- Basic security features
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of PureVPN!
3. NordVPN: 4K Fast Streaming on Hulu
If you use the NordVPN Hulu app on your desktop or mobile devices, you even receive info about current server usage and overload notifications. Switch servers if any fails to bypass geo-restrictions on Hulu (low probability).
For me, the first server I connected to i.e. “#3288” instantly unblocked the platform, despite it having a high server load already. Plans available by NordVPN include:
- US Servers unblock Hulu
- Double VPN available
- Onion over VPN available
- Over 5,100+ Servers in 59 Countries
- Dedicated IPs Available
- NordVPN free trial hack (30 days)
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, read this full 2020 review of NordVPN!
4. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Unblocking Hulu
To my surprise, all servers instantly bypassed the geo-restrictions and content limitations on Hulu. The VPN was free from leaks, employed military-grade encryption, and delivered high-speeds even while streaming in ultra HD.
Apart from this, ExpressVPN offers multiple protocol support, over 3000 global servers, 24/7 live chat support and automatic kill switch and plenty of other useful features. The pricing plans currently offered include:
- US servers unblock Hulu
- Verified “no-logs” policy
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- 30-day refund policy
- ExpressVPN free trial hack (30 days)
- Prices are a bit too steep
For more information, read this full 2020 review of ExpressVPN!
5. CyberGhost: Fast and Secure VPN for Hulu
- Recommended Servers: All US servers that are optimized for Hulu.
- Price: $2.75/mo
- Trustpilot rating: 4.8
CyberGhost is among the few providers that offers a dedicated server listing for unblocking Hulu outside the US. It also delivers amazingly fast speeds and high-quality streaming on the platform.
Apart from this, CyberGhost offers up to 7 simultaneous connections, OpenVPN protocol support, live chat support, military-grade encryption and over 6,300 servers with 750 of them situated in the US, making it a great Hulu Live TV VPN.
- Monthly: $12.99
- 1-Year: $5.99/mo. (billed $71.88)
- 2-Years: $3.69/mo. (billed $88.56)
- 3-Years: $2.75/mo. (billed $99.00)
- Dedicated Servers for Hulu
- Multi-logins on 7 devices
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 6,300 servers in 89 countries
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Basic security features
For more information, read this full 2020 review of CyberGhost!
How Hulu Blocks You From Watching
Hulu is a great choice for binge-watchers wanting access to entertainment from a variety of popular TV networks. As such, it does not take any risks when it comes to Hulu VPN bypass. In fact, Hulu’s technology and algorithms for blocking VPNs is more powerful than Netflix.
Like many streaming services, Hulu only allows users to access the complete content library either from the US or Japan. This is due to copyright restrictions, as we discussed above, which dictate where the movies or TV shows can be broadcast.
Therefore, if you are located in the UK, Australia, China, or any other country than the US, you will get the irritating “Hulu video not available in this location” error message, or if not using VPNs that work with Hulu, you may see other warnings like:
- “You are using a VPN or VPS to access Hulu”
- “You are using an IP address that has been blacklisted”
- “You are accessing Hulu from outside the United States”
- “You are using an unsupported third-party app (or mobile device)”
- “You are using a program on your computer to anonymize your web surfing”
How to Watch Hulu Outside US
The interest in streaming live TV and subscribing with such services like Hulu has till yet remained largely confined to within the US. Here is how you can watch Hulu outside the country. I will be using Surfshark to show you instructions:
- Subscribe to a Surfshark plan by clicking here
- Get the relevant app for your device/platform
- Launch it and connect to a US server or;
- Visit the official Hulu website or app
- Enjoy watching your favorite content!
How to Pay for a Hulu Subscription Outside the US
Paying for a Hulu Subscription is a bit tricky, as it requires a US-based payment source. If you do have a debit or a credit card issued in your own country, it will not be of much use here.
Do not use it for buying a Hulu Subscription by adding a US zip code. That is a mistake when subscribing to foreign VoDs, which eventually leads to your card getting blocked for an unauthorized transaction.
To pay for a Hulu subscription, it is best to contact a friend who resides in the US. If you do not have an acquaintance in the country, you may want to try using a “Virtual Debit Card”, such as:
VPNs Not Recommended for Unblocking Hulu
Not all VPNs work with Hulu, as they may leak your WebRTC/DNS/IP address, use poor encryption, or simply do not come equipped with the features necessary for bypassing VPN bans like obfuscation.
Sadly, some popular VPNs fail at unblocking the streaming platform too. Now, I have already given my recommendations on the best, but it is important that you avoid wasting your money on services that do not work with Hulu:
- Zenmate VPN
- Buffered VPN
- VPN Unlimited
- KeeNow Unblocker
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
How to Watch Hulu on Other Devices
You know what the other great part about Hulu is? You can watch it on almost every device imaginable! We have listed some of the most popular ones down here below and the methods on how to install them:
- Setup a VPN on your Router so that all of your devices connected to Wi-Fi receive VPN protection
- This will also allow Roku to enjoy the same unparalleled geo-restriction unblocking as other devices
- Download the official Hulu app from the Roku store and install it on your device
- Connect to a US server and enjoy unblocking movies/TV shows on Hulu
On Android TVs:
- Open your Android TV and launch Google Play Store
- Search for “Hulu” in the navigation bar
- Hit the install button to get the app on your TV
- Open Kodi and click on the “Gear” icon
- Select “File Manager” from the list of options
- Click on “Add Source” and double-click on None
- In the URL box, type http://fusion.tvaddons.org
- Enter a name for the media source i.e. Fusion
- Return to the main menu and click on “Add-ons”
- Click on the “Package” icon and “Install from zip file”
- Find Fusion, open xmbc-reports, and select “English”
- Open the entertainmentrepo.backup-1.1.4.zip file
- Wait for the “Add-on installed” notification
- Go to “Install from Repository” and find “Entertainment Repo”
- Open “Video Add-ons” and select “Hulu Movie TV”
- Hit the “Install” button and enjoy streaming on Kodi!
For installing Hulu, you just need to log on to the Amazon Store from your Firestick and search for the Hulu app. You can even setup a Free VPN on Firestick to unblock the streaming platform directly!
PS4 has its own dedicated Hulu app and you just need to download and install it from the PlayStation’s official app store to get yourself ready for the ultimate live TV streaming experience!
Similar to its challenger and competitor the PS4, Xbox users have a native Hulu app available that is available for the console. You can find information about installing it from their support page.
Hulu VPN Reddit:
Reddit is the go to place for securing the best user sourced review on any problem imaginable and this stands true nowhere more than it does in the field of best vpn reddit.
When I turned to Reddit for finding the best VPN for Hulu, I found my recommendations stood vindicated because the users there were praising the exact same services, such as NordVPN, PureVPN, and ExpressVPN.
How to Disable IPv6 to Access Hulu Outside US
Can’t watch Hulu with a VPN? Even when using a VPN from above, you could face trouble in unblocking Hulu, and may encounter the “turn off your anonymous proxy” error.
This is because not many VPNs offer protection against IPv6 leaks. Add this with Hulu blocking VPN and it gets messy. Below we show you how to disable the feature on Windows and Mac:
How to Disable IPv6 on a Windows PC
- Disconnect the VPN connection and close the application
- Use the Windows Key + R to open the “Run Promt”
- Type “ncpa.cpl” and press enter to open “Network Connections”
- Find the connection you are using, right-click, and select “Properties”
- Uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) box
- Click “Okay” to save changes and close the window
- Use Windows Key + R and type in “CMD”
- In the command prompt, type “ipconfig /flushdns”
- Hit enter, reconnect the VPN, and enjoy streaming on Hulu.
How to Disable IPv6 on Mac OSX
- Disconnect and close the VPN application on Mac
- Open the Apple Menu and click on “System Preferences”
- Go to “Network” > AirPort > Advanced
- Click on TCP/IP and on “Configure IPv6”
- Select the “Off” option and click Ok to apply changes
- Reconnect the VPN and enjoy streaming on Hulu.
People Also Ask
❔ How to watch Hulu with VPN?
To start streaming on Hulu, you need a reliable VPN that is able to bypass the VPN ban. Once signed up, simply connect to a server in the US, and enjoy streaming on the Hulu website or application.
📺 What VPN works with Hulu?
In order to unblock Hulu, you need a VPN that bypasses the ban imposed by the streaming services. Check out the list above for recommendations on the best VPNs to use for watching Hulu! I strongly recommend using Surfshark to unblock Hulu.
📀 How to use Hulu with VPN?
Hulu uses various VPN detecting and blocking technologies to identify people using an unblocker. Get a VPN that works for accessing their service outside the US and streaming their complete library.
🚫 How to get around Hulu VPN block?
Currently, Hulu is only available in the US. VPNs that are able to bypass the block usually use obfuscation technologies. Make sure you choose one that utilizes these advanced techniques.
🆓 Can i use a free proxy or free VPN for Hulu?
I have tested tons of free VPNs but not one of them works successfully for unblocking VoDs like Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime. It is better that you go for a paid and verified “working” VPN for Hulu instead.
Wrapping Things Up
This best Hulu VPNs guide was an exercise towards explaining the ways through which users who live outside the US can also watch and enjoy all that streaming platform has to offer.
If you face any issues or need to give better recommendations, feel free to comment below. Also, do share the guide with friends and family members, who are looking for a “working” VPN for Hulu.