The best Hulu VPNs for 2020
Hulu is a geo-restricted service, similar to Netflix and BBC iPlayer UK, so you can cannot watch it outside the US, unless you shift your location.
Best VPN Services for Hulu in 2020
Here is a list of the 5 best Hulu VPNs in 2020:
1. Surfshark – Best VPN for Hulu
Surfshark comes second in this list, due to the factor of affordability. Despite having one of the most budget-friendly pricing in the market, the BVI-based provider goes head-to-head against top names like Express and Nord.
I tested the provider for bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu. 5 out of the 5 I tested proved successful in unblocking the VoD service, all while delivering amazing speeds and enjoying the streaming experience.
Before you connect to a server though, do remember to switch the protocol from IKEv2 to OpenVPN (UDP), otherwise, you will encounter the “disable your anonymizer” error. Plans available by Surfshark:
- All US servers unblock Hulu
- Headquartered in BVI
- Unlimited multi-logins
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- No Free Trial Available
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of Surfshark!
2. Ivacy – Budget VPN for Hulu
Ivacy has been in the marketplace since 2007, responsible for the inception behind the infamous Split Tunneling feature. As such, it is one of the best services to unblock Hulu and other streaming platforms.
I tested 10 different servers in the US from the provider, and almost all of them worked smoothly. I received good speeds during ultra HD streaming and did not encounter any irritating downtimes.
The provider is also considered to be one of the fastest in the marketplace, hence proving its worth as a reliable VPN for Hulu. If you want to subscribe to Ivacy, check out their payment plans below:
- 5 US servers unblock Hulu
- Singapore is a safe jurisdiction
- Strict zero logging policy
- Automatic kill switch
- Split tunneling available
- Customer support needs improvement
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of Ivacy!
3. ExpressVPN – Secure VPN for Hulu
ExpressVPN never fails at unblocking streaming platforms worldwide. For testing it on Hulu, I connected to 5 different servers based in the US: Los Angeles 5, New Jersey 3, Los Angeles 4, New Jersey 1, and New York 2.
To my surprise, all servers instantly bypassed the geo-restrictions and content limitations on Hulu. The VPN was free from leaks, employed military-grade encryption, and delivered high-speeds even while streaming in ultra HD.
Apart from this, ExpressVPN offers multiple protocol support, over 3000 global servers, 24/7 live chat support and automatic kill switch and plenty of other useful features. The pricing plans currently offered include:
- US servers unblock Hulu
- Verified “no-logs” policy
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- 30-day refund policy
- Prices are a bit too steep
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of ExpressVPN!
4. CyberGhost – Servers Available for Hulu
CyberGhost is among the few providers that offers a dedicated server listing for unblocking Hulu outside the US. It also delivers amazingly fast speeds and high-quality streaming on the platform.
Best part of all: the method of bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu is quite simple. You only have to type in “Hulu” into the search bar available on their desktop and smartphone apps.
Apart from this, CyberGhost offers up to 7 simultaneous connections, OpenVPN protocol support, live chat support, military grade encryption and over 3,900 servers with 750 of them situated in the US.
- Dedicated Servers for Hulu
- Multi-logins on 7 devices
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 5700+ servers in 90 countries
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Basic security features
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of CyberGhost!
5. PureVPN – Unblock Hulu via Browser
When I inquired from PureVPN’s live chat support about bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu and other VoDs, the agent told us that PureVPN only supports Hulu on its Chrome Extension on Windows/Mac.
There is no support for unblocking Hulu on its native apps for iOS and Android so far. However, the browser extension did a great job in unblocking the streaming platform and deliver HD quality, high-speed streaming.
Just make sure to clear your browser cache before accessing the Hulu site, or as a simpler solution launch the “private mode” on Mozilla Firefox or “Incognito mode” on none other than, Google Chrome.
- “Unblock Hulu” Option
- Dedicated IPs available
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- 2000+ servers in 140 countries
- Basic security features
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of PureVPN!
VPNs Not Recommended for Unblocking Hulu
Not all VPNs work with Hulu, as they may leak your WebRTC/DNS/IP address, use poor encryption, or simply do not come equipped with the features necessary for bypassing VPN bans like obfuscation.
Sadly, some popular VPNs fail at unblocking the streaming platform too. Now, I have already given my recommendations on the best, but it is important that you avoid wasting your money on services that do not work with Hulu:
Why do you Need a VPN for Hulu?
Since the phenomenal rise of online streaming as a major form of entertainment, Hulu has been a central player in the domain competing with the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime.
However, if you try and access this service outside the US, you will get a black screen on which there is a message notifying you that “currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.”
Due to this issue, binge-watchers who want to access Hulu-specific content began using VPNs to bypass the geo-restrictions. Sadly, distributors partnered with the VoD realized this activity was leading to a loss in revenue.
As such, Hulu was urged to take actionable steps similar to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime, which eventually led to the streaming platform imposing a ban on VPN/proxy services altogether, displaying this message:
This is what makes it necessary to subscribe to a VPN service able to bypass the ban, especially if you want to avoid seeing errors and enjoy streaming your favorite Hulu movies/TV shows.
How to Watch Hulu outside the US
The interest in streaming live TV and subscribing with such services like Hulu has till yet remained largely confined to within the US. Here is how you can watch Hulu outside the country:
- Visit any of the above recommended VPNs website
- Subscribe to a suitable plan based on your budget
- Download the relevant app for your desktop/mobile
- Launch the Hulu app or visit https://www.hulu.com/tv
- Open the VPN application and enter your credentials
- Connect to a server in the US and enjoy streaming on Hulu!
How to Pay for a Hulu Subscription Outside the US
Paying for a Hulu Subscription is a bit tricky, as it requires a US-based payment source. If you do have a debit or a credit card issued in your own country, it will not be of much use here.
Do not use it for buying a Hulu Subscription by adding a US zip code. That is a mistake when subscribing to foreign VoDs, which eventually leads to your card getting blocked for an unauthorized transaction.
To pay for a Hulu subscription, it is best to contact a friend who resides in the US. If you do not have an acquaintance in the country, you may want to try using a “Virtual Debit Card”, such as:
How to Watch Hulu on Other Devices
You know what the other great part about Hulu is? You can watch it on almost every device imaginable! We have listed some of the most popular ones down here below and the methods on how to install them:
- Setup a VPN on your Router so that all of your devices connected to Wi-Fi receive VPN protection
- This will also allow Roku to enjoy the same unparalleled geo-restriction unblocking as other devices
- Download the official Hulu app from the Roku store and install it on your device
- Connect to a US server and enjoy unblocking movies/TV shows on Hulu
On Android TVs:
- Open your Android TV and launch Google Play Store
- Search for “Hulu” in the navigation bar
- Hit the install button to get the app on your TV
- Open Kodi and click on the “Gear” icon
- Select “File Manager” from the list of options
- Click on “Add Source” and double-click on None
- In the URL box, type http://fusion.tvaddons.org
- Enter a name for the media source i.e. Fusion
- Return to the main menu and click on “Add-ons”
- Click on the “Package” icon and “Install from zip file”
- Find Fusion, open xmbc-reports, and select “English”
- Open the entertainmentrepo.backup-1.1.4.zip file
- Wait for the “Add-on installed” notification
- Go to “Install from Repository” and find “Entertainment Repo”
- Open “Video Add-ons” and select “Hulu Movie TV”
- Hit the “Install” button and enjoy streaming on Kodi!
For installing Hulu, you just need to log on to the Amazon Store from your Firestick and search for the Hulu app. You can even setup a VPN on Firestick to unblock the streaming platform directly!
PS4 has its own dedicated Hulu app and you just need to download and install it from the PlayStation’s official app store to get yourself ready for the ultimate live TV streaming experience!
Similar to its challenger and competitor the PS4, Xbox users have a native Hulu app available that is available for the console. You can find information about installing it from their support page.
People Also Ask
Can you use Hulu in other countries?
Hulu restricts its streaming platform to users in the US only. However, individuals in other countries can unblock Hulu by investing in a reliable VPN solution that can bypass the proxy/VPN ban.
Is Hulu available in Australia?
Currently, Hulu is only available in the US, but there is speculation that the VoD might make an entrance into Australia. Till then, Aussie streamers can use a VPN to unblock the platform outside US.
Are there any free VPNs that work with Hulu?
I have tested tons of free VPNs but not one of them work successfully for unblocking VoDs like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. It is better that you go for a paid and verified “working” VPN for Hulu instead.
What channels are available on Hulu?
Hulu has a channel line up that can put any major streaming provider to shame. Some of the best options include A&E, Boomerang, Disney +, ESPN, Fox Sports, Syfy, and the History Channel.
Wrapping Things Up
This VPN for Hulu guide was an exercise towards explaining the ways through which users who live outside the US can also watch and enjoy all that streaming platform has to offer.
If you face any issues or need to give better recommendations, feel free to comment below. Also, do share the guide with friends and family members, who are looking for a “working” VPN for Hulu.