5 Best VPNs for Hulu to Unblock Hulu in Canada (2022)
Using a Hulu VPN to unblock the US-based streaming platform is quite common. Majority-owned and controlled by the Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, Hulu is the inception of three highly famous US television networks (NBC, Fox, and ABC) coming together.
It contains a huge content database from other networks, including childhood favorites: Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, PBS, SyFy, Style, and FX. Most episodes appear the day after airing; that’s twice as fast as Netflix and a treat for binge-watchers!
Sadly, you cannot watch Hulu in Canada unless you switch your location using the ultimate best VPN for Hulu in Canada. Because, sometimes, even when using a VPN, you may encounter problems with unblocking. That’s exactly why you need to know the best to stream in peace!
Best VPN Services for Hulu in Canada: Quick Guide
- ExpressVPN: Best VPN Service for Hulu in Canada. Access different Hulu Libraries. Costs only (US$6.67/mo) (CA$8.72/mo) on a 1-yr plan + 3-months free and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN: 4K Streaming on Hulu in Canada | Seamless Streaming via US Servers on Hulu. Available for (CA$4.30/mo) (US$3.29/mo)
- Surfshark: Smoothly Unblocks Hulu in Canada. All US servers unblock Hulu seamlessly. Available for (US$2.30/mo) (CA$3.01/mo)
- CyberGhost: Fast and Secure VPN for Hulu in Canada. Dedicated servers are available for Hulu US (CA$3.59/mo) (US$2.75/mo)
- PureVPN: 490+ US Servers for Hulu in Canada. Browser Extension Has an Unblock Hulu Option. Costs (US$1.99/mo) (CA$2.60/mo)
5 Best VPNs for Hulu in Canada to Defeat the VPN Ban
Here is a list of the 5 best Hulu VPN services For Canada. I have even added the price and trust pilot rating for each to ease the decision-making process:
ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Unblocking Hulu in Canada
- Recommended Servers: New-Jersey 1 and Washington DC
- Price: (US$6.67/mo) (CA$8.72/mo)
- on a 1-yr plan + 3-months free
- Trustpilot rating: 4.6
ExpressVPN never fails at unblocking streaming platforms worldwide. For testing it on ExpressVPN Hulu, I connected to 5 different servers based in the US: Los Angeles 5, New Jersey 3, Los Angeles 4, New Jersey 1, and New York 2.
To my surprise, all servers instantly bypassed the geo-restrictions and content limitations on Hulu. The VPN was free from leaks, employed military-grade encryption, and delivered high speeds even while streaming in ultra HD. ExpressVPN also helps you to watch Voot in Canada and other streaming platforms flawlessly.
Apart from this, ExpressVPN offers multiple protocol support, over 3000 global servers, 24/7 live chat support, an automatic kill switch, and plenty of other useful features. The pricing plans currently offered include:
- Monthly: (US$12.95) (CA$16.93)
- 6-Months: US$9.99/mo. (billed US$59.95) CA$13.06/mo. (billed CA$78.35)
- 1-Year: US$6.67/mo. (billed US$99.95) CA$8.72/mo. (billed CA$130.63)
- US servers unblock Hulu
- Verified “no-logs” policy
- 160 Locations in 94 countries
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- 30-day refund policy (ExpressVPN’s 30-day free trial hack)
- Slightly expensive
For more information, read this full 2022 review of ExpressVPN!
2. NordVPN: 4K Fast Streaming on Hulu in Canada
- Recommended Servers: #3288, #3097, #3325, #2496, #3213
- Price: (US$3.29/mo) (CA$4.30/mo)
- Trustpilot rating: 4.3
The Panamanian-based Nord has a huge network of 5,100+ worldwide. As such, its unblocking capabilities far outweigh any other provider. They have 1,800 exclusive servers that unblock VoDs like Hulu for the US alone.
If you use the NordVPN Hulu app on your desktop or mobile devices, you receive information about current server usage and overload notifications. Switch servers if any fail to bypass geo-restrictions on Hulu (low probability).
For me, the first server I connected to, i.e., “#3288” instantly unblocked the platform, despite it having a high server load already. Plans available by NordVPN include:
- US Servers unblock Hulu
- Double VPN available
- Onion over VPN available
- Over 5,100+ Servers in 59 Countries
- Dedicated IPs Available
- 30-day refund policy (NordVPN’s free trial hack)
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, read this full 2022 review of NordVPN!
3. Surfshark: Affordable VPN for Hulu in Canada
- Recommended Servers: Detroit, Denver, Los Angeles, and Boston
- Price: (US$2.30/mo) (CA$3.01/mo)
- Trustpilot rating: 4.2
Surfshark ranks in this list due to the factor of affordability. Despite having one of the most budget-friendly pricing in the market, the BVI-based provider goes head-to-head against top names like ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
I tested the provider for bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu. 5 out of the 5 I tested proved successful in unblocking the VoD service, all while delivering amazing speeds and exceptional streaming experience.
Before connecting to a server, remember to switch the protocol from IKEv2 to OpenVPN (UDP). Otherwise, you will encounter the “disable your anonymizer” error. Plans available by Surfshark:
- Monthly: (US$12.95) (CA$16.93)
- 1-Year: US$3.99/mo. (US$59.76 billed annually) CA$5.21/mo. (CA$78.11 billed annually)
- 2-Years: (US$2.30/mo) (CA$3.01/mo)
- 5 US servers unblock Hulu
- Headquartered in BVI
- Unlimited multi-logins
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- No Free Trial Available
For more information, read this full 2022 review of Surfshark!
4. CyberGhost: Fast and Secure VPN for Hulu in Canada
- Recommended Servers: All US servers that are optimized for Hulu.
- Price: (US$2.75/mo) (CA$3.59/mo)
- Trustpilot rating: 4.7
CyberGhost is among the few providers that offer a dedicated server listing for unblocking Hulu in Canada. It also delivers amazingly fast speeds and high-quality streaming on the platform.
The best part of all: Bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu is quite simple. You only have to type in “Hulu” into the search bar available on their desktop and smartphone apps.
Apart from this, CyberGhost offers up to 7 simultaneous connections, OpenVPN protocol support, live chat support, military-grade encryption, and over 7800 servers in 90 countries, with 750 of them situated in the US, making it a great Hulu Live TV VPN.
- 1 Month: (US$12.99) (CA$16.98)
- 6 Months: (US$3.95/mo) (CA$5.16/mo)
- 1-Year: (US$2.65/mo) (CA$3.46/mo)
- Dedicated Servers for Hulu in Canada
- Multi-logins on 7 devices
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 7800 servers in 90 countries
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Basic security features
For more information, read this full 2022 review of CyberGhost!
5. PureVPN: 490+ US Servers for Hulu in Canada
- Recommended Servers: Ashburn, Miami, Los Angeles, and Atlanta
- Price: (US$3.33/mo) (CA$4.35/mo)
- Trustpilot rating: 4.7
When I inquired from PureVPN’s live chat support about bypassing geo-restrictions on Hulu and other VoDs, the agent told us that PureVPN only supports Hulu on its Chrome Extension on Windows/Mac.
There is support for unblocking Hulu on its native apps for iOS and Android. However, even the browser extension did a great job unblocking the streaming platform and delivering HD quality, high-speed streaming.
Just make sure to clear your browser cache before accessing the Hulu site, or as a simpler solution, launch the “private mode” on Mozilla Firefox or “Incognito mode” on Google Chrome. Current plans available by PureVPN include:
- “Unblock Hulu” Option Available in Canada
- Dedicated IPs available in Canada
- Multi-logins on 10 devices in Canada
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed in Canada
- 6500+ servers in 74 countries
- Basic security features
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of PureVPN!
Hulu Not Working with VPN in Canada: Quick Guide
Sometimes, you just can’t watch Hulu even with a VPN in Canada—and that’s where it all gets annoying. You subscribed to a VPN, connected to a relevant server, but Hulu is still not working over a VPN connection.
Here are some quick fixes to continue streaming Hulu with a VPN in Canada.
- Clear your cache and cookies. Many times, there are cookies on your device that reveal your real location to Hulu. Therefore, it’s recommended that you clear all the cache and cookies before trying again.
- Connect to a different US server (preferably a nearby one). Most premium VPNs have multiple servers in the same location. So if you had tough luck with one of the servers, try connecting to another.
- Contact the customer support team if there are any. You can also try contacting the customer support team and directly asking for solutions. I’ve tried ExpressVPN’s customer support, which has not disappointed me once.
- Opt for a different VPN provider. If you’ve tried all the above solutions and are still face to face with an error, it’s because Hulu has blocked all the IP addresses by your VPN provider. It’s time you think of switching to another provider with multiple US servers.
Why Do You Need the Best VPN for Hulu in Canada?
Since the phenomenal rise of online streaming as a major form of entertainment, Hulu has been a central player in the domain, competing with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime.
However, if you try to access this service in Canada, you will get a black screen on which there is a message notifying you that “currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.”
Due to this issue, binge-watchers who want to access Hulu-specific content began using VPNs to bypass the geo-restrictions. Sadly, distributors partnered with the VoD realized this activity led to a loss in revenue.
Hulu was urged to take actionable steps similar to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime, which eventually led to the streaming platform imposing a ban on VPN/proxy services altogether.
This makes it necessary to subscribe to a VPN service to bypass the ban, especially if you want to avoid seeing Hulu VPN errors like the one below and enjoy streaming your favorite Hulu movies/TV shows.
How to Watch Hulu from Abroad with a VPN in Canada
It’s no longer a hassle to spoof your location and trick Hulu into believing you’re somewhere else using the best VPN in Canada.
Here’s how to watch Hulu from abroad using a VPN:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN. #1 VPN provider that works effortlessly with streaming on Hulu.
- Download the ExpressVPN app.
- Open the app.
- Connect to a working server.
- Start streaming!
Note: Directly contact ExpressVPN’s support team if you’re unsure about the best server for Hulu in Canada.
How to Get Hulu Subscription Without US Payment Method in Canada
You require a US-based payment method to pay for Hulu subscriptions which means that a debit or a credit card issued in your own country won’t be of much use here.
It’s best to contact a friend or family member in the US to pay for Hulu. But if that’s not possible, you can sign up for a virtual debit card and find your way around this recurring problem.
Here are the two methods to subscribe to Hulu without a US payment method in Canada.
- Create a virtual prepaid card with EntroPay. Get your hands on a virtual prepaid card and set up a US PayPal account. Set up a PayPal account using your virtual prepaid card, as you can make direct payments with EntroPay. Once set up your US PayPal account, sit back and make the most out of your Hulu subscription.
- Get a US-based virtual credit card from StatesPay. By signing up for StatesPay, you can get a virtual credit card, add funds to your account and start paying for Hulu from abroad. However, you need to know one thing; it only works for a month, and you’ll have to resort to Hulu gift cards to make payments in the coming months.
Chances are you’ve found your solution by now. But if that’s not the case, here are some other reliable resources to get your hands on a virtual credit card for a Hulu subscription.
How Hulu Blocks You From Watching in Canada
Hulu is a great choice for binge-watchers wanting access to entertainment from various popular TV networks. It does not take any risks when it comes to Hulu VPN bypass. In fact, Hulu’s technology and algorithms for blocking VPNs are more powerful than Netflix.
Hulu only allows users to access the complete content library from the US or Japan, like many streaming services. This is due to copyright restrictions, as we discussed above, which dictate where the movies or TV shows can be broadcast.
Therefore, if you are located in the UK, Australia, China, Canada or any other country than the US, you will get the irritating “Hulu video not available in this location” error message, or if not using VPNs that work with Hulu, you may see other warnings like:
- “You are using a VPN or VPS to access Hulu.”
- “You are using an IP address that has been blacklisted.”
- “You are accessing Hulu from outside the United States.”
- “You are using an unsupported third-party app (or mobile device).”
- “You are using a program on your computer to anonymize your web surfing.”
How to Watch Hulu in Canada
The interest in streaming live TV and subscribing to services like Hulu has remained largely confined within the US. Here is how you can watch Hulu in Canada. I will be using ExpressVPN to show you instructions:
- Subscribe to an ExpressVPN plan by clicking here.
- Get the relevant app for your device/platform.
- Launch it and connect to a US server.
- Visit the official Hulu website or app.
- Enjoy watching your favorite content!
VPNs Not Recommended for Unblocking Hulu in Canada
Not all VPNs work with Hulu in Canada, as they may leak your WebRTC/DNS/IP address, use poor encryption, or simply do not come equipped with the features necessary for bypassing VPN bans like obfuscation.
Sadly, some popular VPNs fail at unblocking the streaming platform too. Now, I have already given my recommendations on the best, but you must avoid wasting your money on services that do not work with Hulu:
- Zenmate VPN
- Buffered VPN
- VPN Unlimited
- KeeNow Unblocker
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
How to Watch Hulu on Other Devices in Canada
You can watch Hulu on almost every device imaginable. We have listed some of the most popular ones down here and the methods on how to install them:
- Setup a VPN on your router so that all of your devices connected to Wi-Fi receive VPN protection.
- Download the official Hulu app from the Roku store and install it on your device.
- Connect to a US server and enjoy unblocking movies/TV shows on Hulu.
On Android TVs:
- Open your Android TV and launch Google Play Store.
- Search for “Hulu” in the navigation bar.
- Hit the install button to get the app on your TV.
- Open Kodi and click on the “Gear” icon.
- Select “File Manager” from the list of options.
- Click on “Add Source” and double-click on None.
- In the URL box, type http://fusion.tvaddons.org.
- Enter a name for the media source, i.e., Fusion.
- Return to the main menu and click on “Add-ons.”
- Click on the “Package” icon and “Install from zip file.”
- Find Fusion, open xmbc-reports, and select “English.”
- Open the entertainmentrepo.backup-1.1.4.zip file.
- Wait for the “Add-on installed” notification.
- Go to “Install from Repository” and find “Entertainment Repo.”
- Open “Video Add-ons” and select “Hulu Movie TV.”
- Hit the “Install” button and enjoy streaming on Kodi!
- Log on to the Amazon Store from Firestick.
- Search for the Hulu app
- Install Hulu.
You can even set up a Free VPN on Firestick to unblock the streaming platform directly!
- Go to the official app store.
- Download and install the Hulu app.
- Experience the ultimate live TV streaming experience!
- Head to the Xbox store.
- Search for Hulu.
- Follow instructions to install the app.
You can find more information about installing it from their support page.
Hulu VPN Reddit:
Reddit is the go-to place for securing the best user-sourced review on any problem imaginable, and this stands true nowhere more than it does in the field of best VPN Reddit.
When I turned to Reddit to find the best VPN for Hulu, I found my recommendations stood vindicated because the users there were praising the exact same services, such as ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and PureVPN.
How to Disable IPv6 to Access Hulu in Canada?
Can’t watch Hulu with a VPN in Canada? Even when using a VPN from above, you could face trouble unblocking Hulu and may encounter the “turn off your anonymous proxy” error.
This is because not many VPNs offer protection against IPv6 leaks. Add this with Hulu blocking VPN, and it gets messy. Below we show you how to disable the feature on Windows and Mac:
How to Disable IPv6 on a Windows PC?
- Disconnect the VPN connection and close the application
- Use the Windows Key + R to open the “Run Promt.”
- Type “ncpa.cpl,” and press enter to open “Network Connections”
- Find the connection you are using, right-click, and select “Properties.”
- Uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) box
- Click “Okay” to save changes and close the window
- Use Windows Key + R and type in “CMD.”
- In the command prompt, type “ipconfig /flushdns.”
- Hit enter, reconnect the VPN and enjoy streaming on Hulu.
How to Disable IPv6 on Mac OSX?
- Disconnect and close the VPN application on Mac
- Open the Apple Menu and click on “System Preferences.”
- Go to “Network” > AirPort > Advanced
- Click on TCP/IP and on “Configure IPv6”
- Select the “Off” option and click Ok to apply changes
- Reconnect the VPN and enjoy streaming on Hulu.
FAQs on the Best VPNs for Hulu in Canada
Can I use a free VPN for Hulu in Canada?
You can use a free VPN to watch Hulu, but it’s not recommended. Many log your data and sell it to third parties. Limited bandwidth and slow connection speeds ruin the streaming experience as well.
Several premium VPN providers like ExpressVPN offer a free 30-day trial hack if the price is a concern. You should prefer them over an absolutely free VPN for Hulu.
Can I use a VPN to watch Hulu for freein Canada?
You can use a VPN to watch Hulu. However, you’ll have to pay for the streaming service. One way to watch Hulu absolutely free is by leveraging its 30-day money-back guarantee, but be mindful of the refund time. Just cancel your Hulu subscription before the 30 days end.
Is it illegal to use VPN to watch Hulu in Canada?
No. It’s perfectly legal to watch Hulu with a VPN; however, it does go against the streaming service’s terms and conditions. But the most that will happen to you is blocked access to the service. You can always sign up using a different account, though.
Just make sure that your region allows the use of VPNs.
Does Hulu allow VPNs in Canada?
No. Using a VPN to access Hulu’s content goes against its terms and conditions. Though there isn’t an explicit mention of VPNs, the following clause from Hulu’s terms and conditions hints towards the same.
“You may not either directly or through the use of any device, software, internet site, web-based service, or other means remove, alter, bypass, avoid, interfere with, or circumvent any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices marked on the Content or any digital rights management mechanism, device, or other content protection or access control measure associated with the Content including geo-filtering mechanisms.”
Can Hulu detect VPN in Canada?
Yes, it can. That’s exactly why I recommend going for ExpressVPN, as it ensures no leaks, swiftly bypasses VPN-detection technology and prioritizes your online anonymity at all times.
How to watch Hulu with VPN in Canada?
To start streaming Hulu with a VPN:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN. ExpressVPN recommended!
- Sign up.
- Connect to a nearby US server.
- Stream Hulu!
How do I trick Hulu to VPN in Canada?
Only the best VPN for Hulu can let you trick its advanced VPN-detection technology. Here’s how to change location with a VPN to access Hulu:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN.
- Download its app on your device.
- Pop open the app.
- Connect to a US server to trick Hulu. I recommend the New York server for accessing Hulu.
- Sit back and start streaming!
Which VPNs don’t work with Hulu in Canada?
TunnelBear and Private Internet Access (PIA) don’t work with Hulu as of now. This may change as VPN providers keep improving their unblocking capabilities.
Which VPN works with Hulu in Canada?
ExpressVPN is the clear winner for Hulu’s best VPN because it can efficiently bypass the imposed ban. You can check out my recommendations above for other alternatives to unblocking Hulu.
How do I bypass Hulu VPN block in Canada?
Hulu doesn’t block VPNs; it blocks IP addresses. Fortunately, there’s a way to bypass the Hulu IP blocks:
- Clear the cache of your browser or app.
- Try reconnecting with another US server.
When you connect to another server, you are given a new IP address that lets you access Hulu again.
What is the best VPN protocol for Hulu in Canada?
The WireGuard protocol is the best, with a guaranteed fast connection speed when it comes to streaming content.
Can I stream Hulu from my Smart TV with a VPN in Canada?
You can stream Hulu from your Smart TV if it supports the VPN application. Many smart TVs don’t, so you’ll have to set up the VPN on your router or stream using a device that supports VPNs.
Wrapping Things Up
This guide on the best VPN for Hulu in Canada was an exercise to explain how users who live in Canada can also watch and enjoy all that streaming platform offers.
If you face any issues or need to give better recommendations, feel free to comment below. Also, share the guide with friends and family members looking for a “working” VPN for Hulu in Canada.