5 Best VPNs for iPhone: Fast, Reliable and Secure iOS Apps
While it may not be susceptible to malware like Android, the iPhone comes with its fair share of threats that you definitely protection against.
So, I put 60+ hours into analyzing a myriad of VPN providers for iPhone, which grant complete anonymity and maximum security on everything that is iOS!
List of The 5 Best VPNs for iPhone 11 Pro
Here is a list of 5 best VPN for iPhone in 2019 that are reliable, fast, and secure:
1. Ivacy: $1.99/mo. on a 2-Year Plan
2. Surfshark: $1.99/mo. on a 2-Year Plan
3. ExpressVPN: ($8.32/mo. on a 1-Year Plan
4. PureVPN: $1.65/mo on a 5-Year Plan
5. CyberGhost: $2.75/mo. on a 1-Year Plan
The 5 best iPhone VPNs are described in detail below, after analyzing/comparing their costs, trust pilot ratings, performance, features, and privacy offered:
Ivacy offers a well-built app for iPhone devices. One that delivers reliable performance levels and hosts of myriad of security features for max protection
You get a “Quick Connect” feature on the Ivacy app for selecting the fastest and closest server server available on the Singaporean-based providers’ network.
Ivacy also offers special modes like “streaming”, allowing binge-watchers around the world to unblock popular streaming platforms like Netflix with a single tap.
iPhone users of Ivacy also enjoy access to unique features like Dedicated IPs and a separate IvacyPrime app for bypassing the “Great Firewall” in China.
- $1.99/month (2-year plan)
- 1-day free trial available
- 1000 servers in 100 locations
- Size: 186MB (4.4 ratings)
- Browse truly privately
- Does not store logs
- Live chat is a bit clunky
At a cost of $1.99/month, Surfshark offers the cheapest deals as a VPN for iPhone/iPad, without compromising on any important security or performance features.
Subscribing to it brings high utility and the app for iOS remains easy to use, so you won’t have any problems in getting used to it even if you are a newbie.
It shares its jurisdiction with ExpressVPN by being located in the BVI, so no one will be knocking at Surfshark’s headquarters with a gag order any time soon.
Surfshark’s app does not get distorted when used on other iOS devices. At the same time, it easily unblocks Netflix and other streaming platforms.
- $1.99/month (2-year plan)
- 30-Day refund guarantee
- 800 servers in 50 countries
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later
- Size: 97.2MB (3.5 ratings)
- Doesn’t keep any user logs
- Did not work in China
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full Surfshark review!
Despite being incredibly costly, starting at $8.32/month, ExpressVPN is one of our top recommendations as an iPhone/iPad VPN. It is suited for all iOS devices.
Their apps deliver exceptional speeds, have the best UI and UX suited to iPhone’s/iPad’s, and allow for quick VPN setup and connective via a filter on their app home screen.
Users will also benefit from smart features like automatic re-connection, when the Wi-Fi goes down, along with kill switch for network protection.
ExpressVPN on iPhone even offers users the ability to bypass geo-restrictions in regions where censorship is rampant like China via obfuscation.
- $8.32/month (1-year plan)
- 30-day refund guarantee
- 3000 servers in 94 countries
- Works with Wi-Fi, LTE/4G, 3G
- Size: 58.1MB (4.6 ratings)
- Built for iOS 12, 11, 10, 9 & 8
- Pricing Plans are not cheap
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full ExpressVPN review!
At the no.5 spot on the list of top iPhone VPNs, we’ve got PureVPN, one of the leading pocket-friendly VPNs that has recently re-designed and launched its iOS app.
Its best deal is on its yearly plan that will cost you $1.65/month on the five-year deal, meaning the provider is budget-friendly and won’t empty your pockets.
Their iOS app has also retained amazing features with a clean interface and easy to access the server list, allowing for instant and secure connectivity.
- $1.65/month (5-year plan)
- 30-Day refund guarantee
- 2K servers in 140 countries
- Size: 46.3MB (3.8 ratings)
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later
- Unbreakable encryption
- Inconsistent Netflix performance
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full PureVPN review!
A top VPN by all metrics, CyberGhost has fast grown in the industry to cement its reputation as the best iPhone/iPad VPN, starting at $2.75/month on its best deal.
The iOS VPN app has a high file size of 87Mb, but is excellently designed with each browsing function getting its own dedicated option on the interface.
CyberGhost is based in Romania, which allows it to be extra secure with user data, since there are no major data retention laws in the country.
The providers’ server count is now touching at 3787 in numbers at over 61 countries, offering geographic diversity and optimized server performance.
- $2.75/month (3-year plan)
- 45-day refund guarantee
- 3824 servers in 59 countries
- Runs on iOS 9.3 or later
- Firm no logs policy
- Basic security features
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full CyberGhost review!
Why Do I Need a VPN Service for My iPhone Smartphone?
Besides protecting your personal information from the prying eyes of governmental agencies and local ISPs, VPNs offer a number of advantages to iPhone users
- Enhanced Security – VPNs integrate high-level military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. This protects your information from snoopers and hackers.
- Remote Control – By using a VPN, you can access data from other devices remotely from home or from any other place. This is why VPNs are a common tool among large enterprises and corporations.
- Online anonymity – A VPN will help iPhone users to explore the internet with the utmost level of privacy, masking your IP address.
- Unblock Websites – If you cannot access a particular website, due to geo-restrictions, VPNs are the top solution for bypassing content filters, by shifting your physical location.
- Better performance – Sometimes ISPs may impose bandwidth limitations that may result in poor internet experience. VPNs can boost the efficiency of your network.
8 Factors to Consider When Selecting an iPhone VPN
My selection process for coming up with the best iPhone VPNs was based on finding that the provider met 8 critical security and performance criteria:
- VPNs that can afford fast speeds on iPhones despite a load of encryption and protocols.
- Optimized iOS VPN app that users face no difficulty in getting accustomed to.
- VPNs that can perform the feat of unblocking sites like Netflix and other VoDs.
- Providers that offer military-grade, AES-256-CBC encryption and protection.
- Incredibly adept at protecting iPhone security while using public Wi-Fi.
- VPNs that are not based in locations that are part of invasive 5-9-14 Eyes Alliances,
- Doesn’t offer anything less than a zero-logging policy so that you stay anonymous.
- Powerful kill-switch to cut off the internet on iPhone when your Wi-Fi goes down.
A Study on iPhone VPN Permissions
Informing users about the complexities concerning VPNs also involves spreading knowledge about the “Permissions” they require. Lucky for iPhone users that Apple takes customer privacy very seriously.
In comparison to their Android counterparts that have an entire manifest of permissions, which include plenty “dangerous” requests too, Apple has only a few permissions for toggling on/off.
They give complete liberty to the user to allow how and when apps utilize their information. Android, on the other hand, requires that you accept all permissions for the app to install and work smoothly.
You are probably wondering now: What kind of permissions do iPhone apps require in particular? Well, it is quite selective and you can find all of them in the “Privacy” menu in settings:
- Location Services
- Bluetooth sharing
- Speech recognition
- Motion activity and fitness
- Media & Apple Music
- Social media accounts, such as Twitter and Facebook
Any app could access any/all of the above, but only if the end-user agrees to it. The best part of all: you have the option of disabling access, which cannot be done on Android devices.
The programming of iOS prevents applications from accessing users’ personal information without permissions, hence why users are given the ability to revoke access to different facets.
For instance, if the user signs in to iCloud, some apps may get access by default to iCloud Drive. Users can control each app’s access under iCloud in Settings.
Wrapping Things Up
iPhones are much better security-wise than their Android counterparts but that security is just relegated to the OS itself. Your connection on any device that uses the internet needs a VPN to offer it protection from unwarranted threats.
For a device-specific choice as an iPhone VPN, our list above is perfectly suited to meet all of your requirements. Surfshark remains our top recommendation as an iPhone VPN, due to its remarkable offerings.
And all that is offered by the provider is available just for $1.99/month on its best plan, making it the cheapest top VPN service out there. But still, if you are looking for something more novel, check out ExpressVPN.
Its got everything, from a big server park to niche security features. The app is perhaps the best one there is for iPhones in the VPN category, of course if the high price of $8.32/month.