5 Best VPN Apps for iPhones in 2020
The iPhone 8, Xr, 11, and 11 Pro created by Apple are highly stable/secure smartphones. However, this does not mean that iOS does not have its own privacy/security issues.
In today’s climate of security breaches and hacking, while it may not be susceptible to malware like Android, the iPhone comes with its fair share of threats.
And, it is important to be vigilant about phony services operating on the Apple Store, as let’s be realistic just because its an iPhone X/Pro doesn’t mean its store is not void of dodgy apps.
So, I have come up with a list of recommendations for you. Below you can find details regarding the best VPN for iPhone apps in 2020:
Top Picks for the Best iPhone VPN App
Here is a list of 5 best VPN app for iOS in 2020 that are reliable, fast, and secure:
The Best iPhone VPNs for 2020
I’ve described each top rated VPN in detail below, after analyzing/comparing their costs, trust pilot ratings, performance, features, and privacy offered:
1. Surfshark: Best Mobile VPN for All Users
Number of Servers: 1,700+ | Locations: 63+ | Apple Store Rating: 4.4 | Maximum Devices Supported: Unlimited | Price: $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan
Subscribing to it brings high utility and the app for iOS remains easy to use, getting a 4.4 star rating on the Apple Store from a total of 768 reviews.
You even get surfshark free trial, if you subscribe directly from within the iOS app i.e why it is one of the best free VPN for firestick. As far as location is concerned, Surfshark is based in BVI, so no one will be knocking their door down with a gag order request.
- 1,700+ Servers in 63+ Countries
- Size: 101.4 MB (4.4 Stars Rating)
- 7-Day Free Trial for iOS Users
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- No free trial available
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full 2020 Surfshark review!
2. PureVPN: Budget VPN App for Apple Devices
Number of Servers: 2,000+ | Locations: 180+ | Apple Store Rating: 4.1| Maximum Devices Supported: 5 | Price: $2.91/mo on a 2-year plan
At the no.2 spot, we’ve got the Hong Kong-based PureVPN, one of the leading pocket-friendly services in my Cheap VPN list, that has recently re-designed and launched its VPN iPhone app with a 4.1 star rating.
Recently, PureVPN also enjoyed an endorsement by Forbes and is commended by Trustpilot reviewers, due to offering great privacy to netizens, and unblocking capabilities for Hulu with PureVPN, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more!
Their iOS app has also retained amazing features with a clean interface and easy to access the server list, allowing for instant and secure connectivity.
- 2,000+ Servers in 140+ Countries
- Size: 62.5 MB (4.1 Stars Rating)
- Endorsed by Forbes
- Dedicated IPs Available
- Multi-logins on Five devices
- Basic security features
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full 2020 PureVPN review!
3. ExpressVPN: Secure and Reliable VPN app for iPhone
Number of Servers: 3,000+ | Locations: 160+ | Apple Store Rating: 4.6 | Maximum Devices Supported: 3 | Price: $6.67/mo on a 1-year plan
Despite being incredibly costly, starting at $6.67/month, ExpressVPN is one of our top recommendations as an iPhone/iPad VPN. It is suited for all iOS devices.
Users will also benefit from the 30-day risk-free trial of ExpressVPN, smart features like automatic re-connection, when the Wi-Fi goes down, along with kill switch for network protection.
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Size: 58.7 MB (4.6 Stars Ratings)
- Verified “no-logs” policy
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- 30-day refund policy
- Prices are a bit too steep
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full 2020 ExpressVPN review!
4. Ivacy: Affordable and Value-Driven
Number of Servers: 1,000+ | Locations: 100+ | Apple Store Rating: 4.5 | Maximum Devices Supported: 5 | Price: $2.25/mo on a 2-year plan
Based in Singapore, Ivacy offers a well-built app for iPhone devices. One that delivers reliable performance levels and hosts of myriad of security features for max protection
You get a “Quick Connect” feature on the Ivacy app for selecting the fastest and closest server available on the Singaporean-based providers’ network.
Ivacy also offers special modes like “streaming”. This allows binge-watchers around the world to unblock popular streaming platforms like Netflix with a single tap.
- 1,000+ Servers in 100+ Locations
- Size: 266.4 MB (4.5 Stars Ratings)
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS Devices
- Automatic Kill Switch
- Split Tunneling Available
- Support Needs Improvement
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full 2020 Ivacy VPN review!
5. CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price and Value
Number of Servers: 6,100+ | Locations: 90+ | Apple Store Rating: 4.4 | Maximum Devices Supported: 5 | Price: $2.75/mo on a 3-year plan
A top VPN by all metrics, CyberGhost has fast grown in the industry to cement its reputation as the best iPhone/iPad VPN, starting at $2.75/month on its best deal.
The iOS VPN app has a high file size of 108.4 MB, but is excellently designed with each browsing function getting its own dedicated option on the interface.
This is why it gets a 4.4 star rating for over 17.2k reviews on the Apple Store. As far as location is concerned, CyberGhost is based in Romania, allowing it to be extra secure.
The providers’ server count is the largest in the industry now touching at 6,100+ in numbers at over 90 countries, offering geographic diversity and optimized server performance.
- 6,100+ Servers in 90+ Countries+
- Size: 108.4 MB (4.4 Stars Rating)
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 45-Day Refund Guarantee
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Basic security features
Need more information? Re-direct yourself to this full 2020 CyberGhost review!
Why Do I Need a VPN Service for My iPhone Smartphone?
Besides protecting your personal information from the prying eyes of governmental agencies and local ISPs, VPNs offer a number of advantages to iPhone users
- Enhanced Security – VPN iOS integrate high-level military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. This protects your information from snoopers and hackers.
- Remote Control – By using a VPN for iOS, you can access data from other devices remotely from home or from any other place. This is why VPNs are a common tool among large enterprises and corporations.
- Online anonymity – A good VPN for iPhone will help users to explore the internet with the utmost level of privacy, masking your IP address.
- Unblock Websites – If you cannot access a particular website, due to geo-restrictions, VPNs are the top solution for bypassing content filters, by shifting your physical location.
- Better performance – Sometimes ISPs may impose bandwidth limitations that may result in poor internet experience. VPNs can boost the efficiency of your network.
8 Factors to Consider When Selecting an iPhone VPN
My selection process for coming up with the best iPhone VPNs was based on finding that the provider met 8 critical security and performance criteria:
- VPN iPhone apps should deliver fast speeds, despite a load of encryption and protocols.
- Optimized iOS VPN app that users face no difficulty in getting accustomed to.
- VPNs that use obfuscation for unblocking sites like Netflix and other VoDs.
- Providers that offer military-grade, AES-256-CBC encryption, and protection.
- Incredibly adept at protecting iPhone security while using public Wi-Fi.
- VPNs that are not based in locations that are part of invasive 5-9-14 Eyes Alliances,
- It doesn’t offer anything less than a zero-logging policy so that you stay anonymous.
- Powerful kill-switch to cut off the internet on iPhone when your Wi-Fi goes down.
A Study on iPhone VPN Permissions
Informing users about the complexities concerning VPNs also involves spreading knowledge about “Permissions”. Luckily for iPhone users that Apple takes customer privacy very seriously.
In comparison to Android that has an entire manifest of permissions, which include plenty of “dangerous” requests too, Apple has only a few permissions for toggling on/off.
They give complete liberty to the user to allow how and when apps utilize their information. Android, on the other hand, requires that you accept all permissions for the app to install.
You are probably wondering now: What kind of permissions do iPhone apps require in particular? Well, it is quite selective and you can find all of them in the “Privacy” menu:
- Location Services
- Bluetooth sharing
- Speech recognition
- Motion activity and fitness
- Media & Apple Music
- Social media accounts, such as Twitter and Facebook
Any app could access any/all of the above, but only if the end-user agrees to it. The best part of all: you have the option of disabling access, which cannot be done on Android devices.
The programming of iOS prevents applications from accessing users’ personal information without permissions, hence why users are given the ability to revoke access to different facets.
For instance, if the user signs in to iCloud, some apps may get access by default to iCloud Drive. Users can control each app’s access under iCloud in Settings.
People Also Ask
Which free VPN is best for iPhone?
Getting a free VPN for iPhone may sound appealing, but will do you no good if it’s security/privacy you are after. I also tell my viewers to generally stay away from free services, as they are quite shady. If you still want one, less risky options include Windscribe and Hide.Me.
Is VPN good for iPhone?
VPNs are worth the money as they grant you better security/privacy on iPhones and other iOS devices. They also provide you the ability to unblock popular websites and streaming sites like Netflix and BBC iPlayer, around the world.
Does VPN drain battery iPhone?
This really depends on which VPN for iOS app you are using. Latest apps that are regularly updated by developers should not use much battery. However, if you are using an old app, chances are it may be draining your battery.
Wrapping Things Up
iPhones are much better in terms of security than their Android counterparts. Sadly, this security is just relegated to the OS itself. When connected to the internet, you still need protection from unwarranted threats.
For a device-specific choice as an iPhone VPN, our list above is perfectly suited to meet all of your requirements. Surfshark remains our top recommendation as an iPhone VPN, due to its remarkable offerings.
And all that is offered by the provider is available just for $1.99/month on its best plan, making it the cheapest top VPN service out there. But still, if you are looking for something more novel, check out PureVPN.
Its got everything, from a big server park to niche security features. The app is perhaps the best one there is for iPhones in the VPN category and is budget-friendly too, starting at $2.91/month.