Top 5 VPNs for Firestick: Recommended Apps for 2019
To unlock a world of streaming opportunities on the Amazon Fire TV media player, you need a solution for bypassing geo-restrictions and content limitations. So, here is a round-up on the best Firestick VPNs:
Top 5 VPN Services for Firestick
|#1||ExpressVPN||Best VPN for 4k Streaming on Fire TV||$6.67/mo.|
|#2||NordVPN||Most Secure VPN for Amazon Fire TV||$3.49/mo.|
|#3||Surfshark||User-Friendly Firestick VPN App||$1.99/mo.|
|#4||PureVPN||Feature-Packed Amazon Fire TV VPN||$2.95/mo.|
|#5||CyberGhost||Easy-to-Use Firestick App Interface||$2.75/mo.|
What is the Best Firestick VPN?
ExpressVPN is the best Firestick VPN currently. Based in BVI, the provider has a verified no logging policy that even the Turkish authorities could not break, indicating all your pirated streaming activities remain secure.
For a price of $6.67/mo., you also get access to servers compatible with Netflix US, BBC iPlayer UK, Amazon Prime, Hulu and more, as the VPN comes equipped with obfuscation and WebRTC/DNS/IP leak protection.
5 Best VPN for Firestick – Recommended Apps for 2019
The popularity of streaming app store like Fire TV and FireStick is only set to grow in the times to come. Unlock new streaming possibilities on the 4k digital media player though these 5 best VPN for firestick:
The universal ExpressVPN checks all the right boxes as a reliable option for Amazon Fire TV users. It offers more than 3,000+ servers in 160 locations worldwide for unblocking streaming platforms like Netflix.
To provide assistance to users, ExpressVPN even offers a support page for setting up their VPN on Firestick via an easy method, which is quite convenient for the non-techy. Pricing starts at $6.67/mo. on a 15-months plan.
- Fire TV App Available on Amazon
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Round-the-clock live support
- Plans are Expensive
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 ExpressVPN review!
Ranked as the most trusted VPN in the marketplace, Nord offers a secure VPN app for Amazon Fire TV users. One that is able to bypass the VPN ban in countries like China and streaming platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Similar to Express, you have native apps available for multiple devices, including the Amazon Firestick. You can download the app directly from the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store, whatever seems most convenient.
- Working Amazon Fire TV VPN App
- 5700+ servers in 60+ countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-logins on 6 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- No port forwarding
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 NordVPN review!
Based in BVI and founded in 2018, Surfshark may be a newcomer but it tackles top names like Express and Nord, despite being incredibly-budget friendly. It offers a user-friendly app for Firestick users.
You can even download the app via the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store. Best part of all: Surfshark faces no issues in unblocking VoDs like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, etc or bypassing the VPN ban in China.
You have access to over 800+ servers in 50+ countries, free from WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks and that deliver high-speed streaming even on your iOS and Android devices. Check out their support page for setting up Surfshark on Firestick.
- User-Friendly Firestick VPN App
- 800 servers in 50 countries.
- BVI is a safe jurisdiction
- Strict no logging policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- No free trial available
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 Surfshark review!
Similar to Surfshark, the Hong Kong-based PureVPN tends to be incredibly budget-friendly. However, this does not stop the VPN from offer exceptional cross-platform compatibility for usage on devices like the Firestick.
For a low price of $2.95/mo., you get access to a ton of amazing features on your Amazon Fire TV. These include NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, Ad/Tracker blocking, IPv6 Leak Protection, Port Forwarding and dedicated IPs.
- Greatly designed Fire TV VPN App
- DDoS Protection feature
- 2000+servers in 140 countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple protocol support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 PureVPN review!
I have listed CyberGhost in the last, but this does not mean the VPN is bad. In fact, it is just as reliable as other options in the list and works on Android TV boxes like the Amazon Fire TV with an easy-to-use app.
Similar to the above, you have the ability of downloading the VPN directly via Google Play Store or Amazon App Store. CyberGhost even offers a dedicated support page for setting up the VPN on Amazon Firestick.
The Fire TV app comes equipped with an “Unblock Streaming” option. It lists dedicated servers for a myriad of VoD services in the marketplace. This includes Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and more.
- Firestick VPN App Available
- 3900+ servers in 61 countries
- Stealth VPN protection feature
- Dedicated Streaming servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 45 days refund policy
- Slow customer support
Want to read more before taking a final decision? Re-direct yourself to this full 2019 CyberGhost review!
How to Install a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick via Downloader
The easiest way to use your Firestick with a VPN is to get a provider that offers a dedicated app for Firestick. The Amazon App store is now being filled gradually with plenty popular names: Express, Nord, Surf, Pure, and CyberGhost.
However, some may be more comfortable with the Downloader method. I will be using NordVPN’s app as an example for giving you instructions on how to install a VPN on Amazon Fire TV stick. The same method can be applied to other VPNs:
- Launch Amazon Fire Stick and click on “Settings” from the home screen.
- Go towards the right and find the “Device” option.
- Scroll down to “Developer Options”.
- Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”.
- A popup message will appear. Select the “Turn On” option.
- Locate “Downloader” in Search, hit the “Get” button, and open the app.
- Select “Browser” and type in the download URL: https://nordvpn.com/download/android/.
- Select the “Download APK” option and hit the “Install” button.
- Wait for the installation to complete. Launch the application and enjoy using NordVPN on Firestick!
How to Install a VPN on Fire TV Stick via ES Explorer
ES file explorer is an immensely popular file manager and downloader that provides great versatility in managing app downloads on devices such as Firestick. Follow the steps below to install a VPN through it:
- Launch your Amazon Fire TV and go to the “Settings” menu.
- Select “Device” from the list of options available.
- Click on “Developer Options” and enable “Unknown Sources.”
- Return to the main menu and head to the search bar.
- Type in “ES File Explorer”, open the result, and hit “Install.”
- Launch ES File Explorer, select “Tools” and open “Download Manager.”
- Enter the URL for the VPN you want to download.
- For Instance, this is PureVPN’s download link: http://bit.ly/VPN-APK
- Wait for the tool to catch the file and then click on “Download Now.”
- Tap the “Open File” to commence the installation process.
- Return to the home screen to find a shortcut of the PureVPN app.
How to Install Firestick VPN using Apps2Fire
Apps2Fire is easily available on the Google Play store and can be easily downloaded on any Android Mobile and tablet device. As such, you can use it for installing VPN apps on your Amazon Fire TV, if the above methods do not work.
- Open Fire TV and opt for “Settings.”
- Go to “System” from the submenu that has opened.
- Select “Developer Options.”
- Turn on the “Allow apps from Unknown Sources.”
- Return to the Home screen now and once again open “Settings.”
- Select “About” -> “Network.”
- You can see your Fire TV’s IP address. Note it down.
- Exit Fire TV and launch Apps2Fire.
- Select “Setup” and type in the IP address noted previously from FireTV.
- Search for your downloaded VPN app from the “Local Apps” option.
- Hit “Install” and wait for the “Installation Complete” notification.
How to Install Firestick VPN via a Wifi Router
Setting up a VPN on your router is the best method for initializing a VPN connection on your Amazon Fire TV. Since your entire network gets encrypted, you can receive VPN protection on your Firestick directly through Wi-Fi:
- Download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any of the VPNs listed above.
- Go to your router settings by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. in the web browser.
- Click on the “Services” tab and open the “VPN” sub-tab in the control panel.
- Enable “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
Start Filling in the OpenVPN Client Settings
- You will now gain access to OpenVPN Configuration Panel, where you can enter custom VPN settings.
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file or server provided from the VPN you signed up with.
- Port Address: You will get this address form your VPN too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES.
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
How to Get Kodi on Amazon Fire TV?
Pairing up Kodi with Amazon’s FireStick seems like a very natural option considering the fact that Kodi is one of the most popular streaming apps in the world. Here is how you can get that combo within a few minutes:
- Launch your Firestick TV and go to the “System” menu
- Select “Settings” from the list and open “Developer Options”
- Enable “Apps for Unknown Sources” and “ABD Debugging”
- Go back to home menu, click on the search icon, and enter “Downloader”
- Click on the “Downloader” icon and hit the select button on the remote
- Launch the app, select “Allow”, and OK on the welcome window
- Enter http://troypoint.com/kodistable into the URL bar
- Wait for the file to download and click “install” on the Kodi setup page
- Follow the steps above to install any of the tested GoT add-ons!
How To Change Your Region/Area For Amazon Firestick
While a VPN is the best way to geo-spoof your location on any device including FireTV, Amazon has a set of restrictions that you need to know of if you are trying to change your location without a VPN.
Amazon requires you to register your FireTV device anew when you shift to a country where the service provider is supported.Below are the only locations in which FireTV is officially supported by Amazon:
- United States
- United Kingdom
If you want to register your device in another country (only among the supported ones) again, you will first need to change your address and add a new one to your Amazon account.
- Enter your user credentials and sign in to your Prime account.
- Go to Manage Your Content and Devices > Preferences > Country/Region Settings.
- Click on Preferences > Country/Region Settings > Change.
- Enter a valid postal address to change your country easily.
How Can I Update VPN Apps on Firestick
Go to the “About” page on the app and note down the version. Now go to its official app listing in an app store like the Play store and match the version you have with the version there. If there is a difference, an update is due.
- To install this new update, you will have to first force stop your app.
- On the Home screen, navigate to Settings.
- Go to Applications > Manage installed applications.
- Navigate to the installed VPN application.
- Select “Force Stop” and use sideload to re-install the app.
- This will keep the original file safe in the directory.
- You will not get a prompt to “install this update or not.”
- Hit the “install” button and enjoy using the latest VPN version.
Control your Firestick VPN with a Mouse App
Since most VPNs you install on Firestick is based on the Android OS interface (apart from those that offer a dedicated app on Amazon), some devices may give trouble when navigating or trying to control the app.
To get around this, you can download and install the Remote for Fire TV application, which is available on the Amazon Store. As another alternative, you can also consider trying out CetusPlay!
What to look for in the Best VPN for Firestick?
VPNs are not a one-size-fits-all service and when talking about niche categories like choosing the Best VPN for Amazon Firestick, you need to dig deeper to find the perfect match.
Providing a dedicated app for a platform requires significant investment in terms of time, money and strategy. There are a select few VPN providers, among the hundreds that exist, who are willing to go to such great lengths to provide such an exquisite quality of service to their users.
People usually buy a Amazon Fire TV stick to stream content on bigger screens from various entertainment sites. As such, it is a given that when a user wants to watch content on a bigger screen, the video quality must be top notch.
This cannot happen unless your internet speeds remain high. VPNs always suffer from speed loss and its largely unavoidable due to heavy encryption and protocols. Therefore, go for a provider that delivers amazing performance.
Despite offering hundreds of servers in many different locations worldwide, not many VPNs can guarantee you a premium unblocking experience. For Firestick, a VPN needs to be able to unblock sites like Netflix US, Amazon Prime, Hotstar, Hulu etc.
Providers offering facilities like obfuscated servers or even a Mediastreamer service are hotcake property when it comes to getting a VPN for the device. Any provider that leaks your IP/WebRTC/DNS will fail at unblocking VoDs.
Location of Servers
The number of servers hosted by a VPN determines the range and capabilities of that service in unblocking geo-restricted content and stopping bandwidth bottlenecks from taking place.
The top VPNs conventionally have hundreds, if not thousands of servers incorporated in their infrastructure. Never opt for a VPN if it offers less than 100 servers in its service pack.
While FireStick devices are just meant for working with televisions, VPNs have a larger function to perform. Nowadays, users have multiple devices each one of which requires top-grade security cover online.
Your Firestick might work great with a VPN that just supports a single device, but its not a great value for your money considering the prices these VPNs services charge in the long term. Go for a provider that at least supports 5 devices.
FireStick devices consume tons of data and associating them with a VPN that limits the amount of bandwidth you consume is perhaps the biggest spoiler you can encounter.
Most paid VPNs do not have limitations on bandwidth usage, so it is better that you opt for exactly such a service, especially if you among those who watch whole seasons in one go!
Best VPN for FireStick Reddit Reviews
The threads on Reddit are always great in presenting the views of users first-hand on anything and everything and the Best part about them is that these opinions are highly trustworthy.
For the Best VPN with Firestick, users stuck to the most popular VPN providers out there and reiterated their quality of service that stands unparalleled over other, lesser-known VPNs.
NordVPN and PIA got rave reviews for their supreme standards and impressive features like no logs, ad-blocking functionalities and is not so expensive.
People Also Ask
What’s the best free VPN for Firestick?
I really do not recommend using free VPNs because of the shady practices they adopt to pay for the costs of managing a VPN services. Nevertheless, some less risky options include Windscribe and TunnelBear.
Is a VPN necessary for Firestick?
Firestick without a VPN is like a car without gas. VPNs help unlock the full potential of a Amazon Fire TV by allowing users to bypass geographical limitations and content restrictions on streaming platforms and various other websites.
Can you install VPN on Firestick?
Indeed, installing a VPN on Firestick does not require any rocket science. In fact, if your provider supports the platform, they should have a compatible app that is available for download and installation directly from the Google Play or Amazon app store.
Does ExpressVPN work on Firestick?
ExpressVPN not only works on Firestick, but offers some of the best unblocking capabilities on the platform. It has a dedicated Fire TV app, which is able to bypass geo-restrictions on streaming platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Can I put NordVPN on my Firestick?
Similar to ExpressVPN, Nord even offers a dedicated support page and native app for Fire TV users. Not to mention, the VPN also proves successful in bypassing the VPN ban on VoDs like Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix US.
Will VPN work on 1st generation fire stick?
This totally depends on the provider and whether they have a app version available for the 1st generation Fire stick. Some VPNs that do offer a native app include ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark, PureVPN, and CyberGhost.
Wrapping Things Up
As entertainment websites continue to impose VPN bans and geo-restrictions on content, the popularity of VPNs particularly for devices like the Amazon Fire TV will only continue to grow.
If you have any questions or need to give better recommendations, do not hesitate on dropping a comment below. Also, feel free to share the guide with others looking for a reliable VPN for Firestick.