7 Best VPN for Firestick and Amazon Fire TV Stick (2020)
Looking for the best VPN for Firestick? The plug-and-play portable devices transform your normal television into an Android-based Smart TV. They give you on-demand access to entertainment from a myriad of streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and more.
Sadly, most of these platforms impose geographical restrictions, which means you cannot access certain movies/TV shows in different countries. Licensing agreements prevent you from viewing the complete video libraries, which is why you need a VPN service.
The best VPN for Fire Stick and Fire TV offer exceptional security/privacy, fast speeds, and apps that work seamlessly with the device. Whether you want to use your Firestick for Netflix, torrenting, or Kodi, I’ve got you covered.
Below you can receive in-depth information on the Best Firestick VPN, but here is a brief summary if you want to skip the specifics:
7 Best VPNs for Amazon Firestick in 2020
- Surfshark: Best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. Reliable servers for streaming. Costs $2.49/mo
- PureVPN: Affordable Option for Firestick. Smooth unblocking of all VoDs. Costs $3.33/mo
- NordVPN: Secure VPN for Firestick. Great support for Amazon Fire TV/Stick. Costs $3.71/mo
- ExpressVPN: 4k Streaming on Firestick. High-speed servers for 4k streaming. Costs $6.67/mo
- CyberGhost: Easy-to-Use Firestick VPN App. Dedicated servers for streaming. Costs $2.75/mo
- IPVanish: Works Smoothly with Firestick. Working application for Firestick. Costs $6.49/mo
- Ivacy VPN: Budget VPN for Amazon Fire TV. User-friendly and intuitive apps. Costs only $2.25/mo
Criteria for Selecting the Best Firestick VPNs
To help you choose an Amazon Fire TV VPN, I have created a list of recommendations after testing them on the following criteria:
- VPN app available on the Fire OS store
- Android APK available for direct download
- An easy-to-use app with a clean interface
- Fast speeds for streaming in ultra HD quality
- Compatibility with all devices and Kodi add-ons
- Ability to unblock platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video
Why Do You Need VPN Amazon Fire Stick Apps?
Introduced as a competitor to the Roku and Chromecast devices, Amazon’s Fire TV device also enables you to stream any content over Wi-Fi through apps like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Voot, Hotstar, Pandora, HBO GO/Now and more.
However, since most of these apps impose geographical and content limitations, you may not have access to their complete libraries. This is because of licensing issues from production houses.
To counter this problem, best fire stick VPN solutions prove to be a useful investment. They allow users to unlock a whole new multiverse of entertainment by connecting to servers in different locations.
For instance, if you want to stream the infamous “Black Panther” on Netflix. You can simply connect to a US server and unblock the movie by pretending to be a local. So, why wait…
7 Best VPNs for FireStick and Fire TV Stick in 2020
The popularity of streaming devices like the Firestick is only set to grow in the times to come. Unlock new streaming possibilities on the 4k digital media player via these 7 reliable VPNs:
1. Surfshark: Best VPN for Amazon Firestick
Based in BVI and founded in 2018, Surfshark may be a newcomer but it tackles top names like Express and Ivacy, despite giving away the best VPN deal. It offers a user-friendly app for Firestick, and you can even get access to a hassle-free 30-day Surfshark free trial.
You can even download the app via the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store. The best part of all: You have access to over 1700+ servers in 63+ countries, free from WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks and that deliver high-speed streaming even on your iOS and Android devices.
Surfshark even has a verified no logging policy audited by Cure53. This means, you remain completely anonymous online when using the service. The provider also faces no issues in bypassing geographical and content limitations on:
- User-Friendly Firestick VPN App
- 1,700+ Servers in 61 countries.
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2020 Surfshark review!
2. PureVPN: Affordable Option for Firestick
Similar to Surfshark, the Hong Kong-based PureVPN gets quite the fame in our low VPN cost listing. However, this does not stop the VPN from offer exceptional cross-platform compatibility for usage on devices like the Firestick.
You can get the VPN directly from the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store and follow the instructions in this guide from PureVPN to setup and configure for maximum user-friendliness, and begin torrenting, without any hassles or copyright infringement notices.
For a low price of $3.33/mo ., you get access to a ton of amazing features on your Amazon Fire TV. These include NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, and dedicated IPs. You can even unblock streaming services like:
- Greatly designed Fire TV VPN App
- DDoS Protection feature
- 3,200+servers in 140 countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple protocol support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2020 PureVPN review!
3. NordVPN: Secure VPN for Firestick
Ranked as the most trusted VPN in the marketplace, Nord offers a secure VPN app for Amazon Fire TV users. One that is able to bypass the VPN ban in countries like China, thanks to using advanced technologies like Obfuscation, which transforms VPN traffic into regular HTTPs traffic.
Similar to Express, you have native apps available for multiple devices, including the Amazon Firestick. You can download the app directly from the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store, whatever seems most convenient and even get a free trial from NordVPN.
You also have a support page that provides steps for setting up the VPN on Amazon Fire Devices, along with a dedicated Android TV page for any other crucial information about the service. Best part of all: you can unblock all popular streaming platforms, such as:
- Working Amazon Fire TV VPN App
- 5,100+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Dedicated IPs Available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2020 NordVPN review!
4. ExpressVPN: 4k Streaming on Firestick
The high-performing ExpressVPN checks all the right boxes as a reliable option for Amazon Fire TV users. It offers more than 3,000+ servers in 160 locations worldwide for unblocking streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Disney+.
The provider even offers a Express VPN free trial via 30-day refund guarantee, native apps for many popular devices/platforms, which include Amazon Fire TV. You have a dedicated app available on both: Google Play Store and Amazon App Store.
To provide assistance to users, ExpressVPN even offers a support page for setting up their VPN on Firestick via an easy method. Pricing starts at $6.67/mo on a 1-year plan and you can even unblock the following streaming platforms:
- Fire TV App Available on Amazon
- Multi-logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- Round-the-clock live support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2020 ExpressVPN review!
5.CyberGhost: Easy-to-Use Firestick VPN App
Number of Servers: 6,200+ | Countries: 88+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.4 | Maximum Devices Supported: 5 | Price: $2.75/mo on a 3-year plan
I have listed CyberGhost on the fifth position, but this does not mean the VPN is bad. In fact, it is just as reliable as other options in the list and works on Android TV boxes like the Amazon Fire TV with an easy-to-use app.
Similar to the above, you have the ability to download the VPN directly via Google Play Store or Amazon App Store. CyberGhost even offers a dedicated support page for setting up the VPN on Amazon Firestick.
The Fire TV app comes equipped with an “Unblock Streaming” option. It lists dedicated servers for a myriad of VoD services in the marketplace. This includes CyberGhost Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and more.
- Firestick VPN App Available
- 6,200+ Servers in 90 Countries
- Stealth VPN Protection Feature
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- 45-Days Refund Policy
- Slow Customer Support
For more information, check out this full 2020 CyberGhost review!
6. IPVanish: Works Smoothly with Firestick
Based in the United States, IPVanish is another popular service among Firestick and Fire TV users. You can get a plan from them for as low as $6.49/month on a yearly plan, while gaining access to a huge listing of over 1,500+ servers in 75+ locations worldwide.
IPVanish also has a zero-logs policy, which means you stay anonymous at all times, when using the service for streaming/torrenting. Best part of all: you have access to simultaneous connections on 10 devices and and can even unblocks streaming platforms.
These include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Prime Video, and more. For the low-price, IPVanish even offers amazing cross-platform functionality with dedicated apps available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, and Fire TV.
- User-friendly IPVanish Firestick App
- 10 Simultaneous Connections
- Good Streaming on 4k quality
- 1,500+ Servers in 75+ locations
- Unblocks Most VoD Services
- SOCKS5 Proxy and No Logs
- No Obfuscation Features
For more information, check out this full 2020 IPVanish review!
7. Ivacy VPN: Budget VPN for Fire TV
The mastermind behind “split tunneling” and a remarkable VPN for Chinese residents, Ivacy has started gaining great momentum in the marketplace for its unblocking, streaming, and torrenting capabilities.
You can find dedicated apps for all famous platforms/devices, including the infamous Amazon Fire TV/Firestick. You can download the app either from Google Play Store or Amazon’s App Store, wherever seems more convenient
As you can see below, the app keeps things quite simple. It boasts an uncluttered outlook with a locations menu and connects button visible at the very center for easy connectivity. You’ll enjoy using the app on a big screen!
- Intuitive Firestick VPN app
- 1,000+ Servers in 100+ Locations
- Singapore is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict Zero-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- Split Tunneling Available
- Slow Support Responses
For more information, check out this full 2020 Ivacy review!
How to Install VPN on Firestick
The easiest way to use your Firestick with a VPN is to get a provider that offers a dedicated app for Firestick. The Amazon App store is now being filled gradually with plenty of popular names: Express, Surf, Pure, and CyberGhost.
However, some may be more comfortable with the Downloader method. I will be using IVacy VPN’s app as an example for giving you instructions on how to install a VPN on Amazon Fire TV stick. The same method can be applied to other VPNs:
- Launch the Amazon Fire Stick and click on “Settings” from the home screen.
- Go towards the right and find the “Device” option.
- Scroll down to “Developer Options”.
- Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”.
- A popup message will appear. Select the “Turn On” option.
- Go back to the homepage and type “Surfshark” in the search bar.
- Click on the Surfshark app icon and hit the “Get” button!
How to Install a VPN on Fire TV Stick via ES Explorer
ES file explorer is an immensely popular file manager and downloader that provides great versatility in managing app downloads on devices such as Firestick. Follow the steps below to install a VPN through it:
- Launch your Amazon Fire TV and go to the “Settings” menu.
- Select “Device” from the list of options available.
- Click on “Developer Options” and enable “Unknown Sources.”
- Return to the main menu and head to the search bar.
- Type in “ES File Explorer”, open the result, and hit “Install.”
- Launch ES File Explorer, select “Tools” and open “Download Manager.”
- Enter the URL for the VPN you want to download.
- For Instance, this is PureVPN’s download link: http://bit.ly/VPN-APK
- Wait for the tool to catch the file and then click on “Download Now.”
- Tap the “Open File” to commence the installation process.
- Return to the home screen to find a shortcut of the PureVPN app.
How to Install Firestick VPN using Apps2Fire
Apps2Fire is easily available on the Google Play store and can be easily downloaded on any Android Mobile and tablet device. As such, you can use it for installing VPN apps on your Amazon Fire TV, if the above methods do not work.
- Open Fire TV and opt for “Settings.”
- Go to “System” from the submenu that has opened.
- Select “Developer Options.”
- Turn on the “Allow apps from Unknown Sources.”
- Return to the Home screen now and once again open “Settings.”
- Select “About” -> “Network.”
- You can see your Fire TV’s IP address. Note it down.
- Exit Fire TV and launch Apps2Fire.
- Select “Setup” and type in the IP address noted previously from FireTV.
- Search for your downloaded VPN app from the “Local Apps” option.
- Hit “Install” and wait for the “Installation Complete” notification.
How to Install Firestick VPN via a Wifi Router
Setting up a VPN on your router is the best method for initializing a VPN connection on your Amazon Fire TV. Since your entire network gets encrypted, you can receive VPN protection on your Firestick directly through Wi-Fi:
- Download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any of the VPNs listed above.
- Go to your router settings by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. in the web browser.
- Click on the “Services” tab and open the “VPN” sub-tab in the control panel.
- Enable “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
Start Filling in the OpenVPN Client Settings
- You will now gain access to OpenVPN Configuration Panel, where you can enter custom VPN settings.
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file or server provided from the VPN you signed up with.
- Port Address: You will get this address form your VPN too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES.
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
How Can I Update VPN Apps on Firestick
Go to the “About” page on the app and note down the version. Now go to its official app listing in an app store like the Play store and match the version you have with the version there. If there is a difference, an update is due.
- To install this new update, you will have to first force stop your app.
- On the Home screen, navigate to Settings.
- Go to Applications > Manage installed applications.
- Navigate to the installed VPN application.
- Select “Force Stop” and use sideload to re-install the app.
- This will keep the original file safe in the directory.
- You will not get a prompt to “install this update or not.”
- Hit the “install” button and enjoy using the latest VPN version.
Control your Firestick VPN with a Mouse App
Since most VPNs you install on Firestick is based on the Android OS interface (apart from those that offer a dedicated app on Amazon), some devices may give trouble when navigating or trying to control the app.
To get around this, you can download and install the Remote for Fire TV application, which is available on the Amazon Store. As another alternative, you can also consider trying out CetusPlay!
People Also Ask
What is an Amazon Fire TV stick?
The Fire TV stick by Amazon is a portable HD streaming, set top box that you can stick directly into your telly’s HDMI port. Once you setup the device, Firestick will start streaming content from premium services, like Prime, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu
How to use vpn with firestick?
For enabling either Firestick or Fire TV to perform at their best potential, you need a VPN. Sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime present different versions of their services in different countries. Connect to a server in the US for the best content!
Is there a free vpn for firestick?
I really do not recommend using free VPNs for firestick because of the shady practices they adopt to pay for the costs of managing VPN services. Nevertheless, some less risky options include Windscribe and TunnelBear.
How to get vpn on firestick
VPNs are not a one-size-fits all service and when talking about niche categories like choosing the Best VPN for Amazon Firestick, you need to dig deeper to find the perfect match. The services listed above have apps that can be installed directly.
Do you really need VPN for Firestick?
VPNs allow you to spoof your IP and re-route your internet to a different location. As a result, you gain access to any country specific sites in services like Prime Video and HBO, while leveraging encryption to protect your identity online!
Which VPN for Amazon Firestick?
Getting a VPN on Firestick does not require any rocket science. In fact, if your provider supports the platform, they should have a compatible app that is available for download and installation directly from the Google Play or Amazon app store.
Can a jailbroken Firestick be traced?
Yes, anybody using jailbroken Firesticks can face more legal liabilities, as these devices have links to their own traceable Amazon accounts, which is a traceable fingerprint to your identity. This is why using a VPN at all times is recommended!
Do you need Firestick for each TV?
Yes, since the Firestick device attaches to the TV, you will need a different one for each TV.
Wrapping Things Up
As entertainment websites continue to impose VPN bans and geo-restrictions on content, the popularity of VPNs particularly for devices like the Amazon Fire TV will only continue to grow.
If you have any questions or need to give better recommendations, do not hesitate on dropping a comment below. Also, feel free to share the guide with others looking for a reliable VPN for Firestick.