Apple TV VPN – Support Up to All 4th Generation Devices
Apple Inc.’s flagship streaming device, the Apple TV is a pure treat for lovers of the brand. It offers access to various streaming services include HBO Now, FOX Sports Go, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and more. At the same time, you can use it with Mac and iOS devices for streaming video content on a big screen.
However, since you may encounter geo-restrictions on different services, it is imperative to use an Apple TV VPN. BestVPN.co put in a great deal of effort and 12 hours into finding the best AppleTV VPN providers for you!
Apple TV VPNs That Support Up to All 4th Generation Devices
Since there are 4 generations of the Apple TV streaming box, it is important that you pick the Best VPN service that works with your model. We went through the top 10 Vpn apple tv providers and concluded with the top three providers below, all four based on different criteria.
- $12.95$6.67Per Month
- iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, Android Apps
- “Stealth VPN” Servers for Regressive Countries
- Excellent WebRTC and DNS Leak Protection
- Split Tunneling and Automatic Kill Switch
- 2,000+ Servers in 148 Countries Worldwide
- SmartDNS and Network Lock Features
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- $10.95$2.88Per Month
74% Off EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT
- 300,000 + IPs & 2000 + Servers
- Dedicated Streaming Servers Available
- Split Tunneling/DNS Leak Protection
- P2P/Torrenting, Port Forwarding, Static IPs
- L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN & IKEv2 protocols
- DDoS Protection and Internet Kill Switch
- $10$6.49Per Month
- PPTP, L2TP/IPSec & OpenVPN protocols
- 25,000+ IPs & 225+ servers in 60+ countries
- 5 Multi logins
- 7-Day Money Back Guarantee
- Upto 256bit encryption
- $9.95$2.25Per Month
- 450+ Servers Across 100 Locations
- Automatic Kill Switch and Split Tunneling
- 2 Year Plan Starts at $2.25 per month
- Advanced IPsec & IKEV Protocols
- No Restrictions on P2P/Torrenting
- Available on All Leading Platforms
- Supports OpenVPN Protocol
1) Express VPN Apple TV 4
Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is renowned for its turbo speed streaming and torrent servers. The provider is also our top recommended AppleTV VPN. It establishes a brilliant server network across the US fans to unblock Netflix, Hulu, HBO and more.
ExpressVPN is compatible with all 4 generation Apple TV devices and does not present issues in configuration as all guides are available on their website support. The provider also works smoothly with iPhones, MacBook’s, iPods and iPads!
2) PureVPN Apple TV
Headquartered in Hong Kong, PureVPN offers the best compatibility for usage on Apple TVs. The provider gives detailed info on how to use a VPN on Apple TV through wireless routers, a Wi-Fi Hotspot, and even using an Ethernet Connection. Choose any that works for you!
Once you sign up, you gain access to 2,000+ Servers and 300,000+ IPs in over 180 locations. The provider even offers Split Tunneling for redirecting your traffic through two different routes. Other features you access include 5 Multi Logins, Internet Kill Switch, and 31-day refund guarantee. Have a browse through our PureVPN review for more.
3) IPVanish Apple TV
IPVanish offers a super speed VPN network in the United States allowing you to stream all US-based channels in an instant. The provider is also compatible with all models of the Apple TV leading up to the 4th generation box. All you have to do is get their IPVanish enabled DD-WRT routers.
For connectivity, users have access to 40,000+ shared IPs, 1,100+ VPN servers in 60+ countries. The provider even supports 10 simultaneous connections on multiple devices. The best part of all: you can leverage a remarkable 7-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
4) NordVPN Apple TV
Based in Panama, NordVPN tends to be one of the safest privacy tools in the marketplace, which has native apps for every platform/device you can think of. From having its own specialized routers to providing ways to access all versions of the Apple TV, NordVPN has got your back.
Typically, NordVPN offers two ways to set up the VPN on your Apple TV: configure your router or set up a hotspot from your laptop/smartphone. Both ways are incredibly easy to follow through. In fact, you can seek help from the provider itself by clicking this link.
5) Private Internet Access (PIA) Apple TV
Based in the US, PIA may not be the preferred choice for many. However, it does offer good compatibility to Apple TV users. There is no app available, but PIA does offer pre-configured DD-WRT Flash Routers, which allow for instant and smooth VPN connectivity across all devices.
As such, you can feel relieved to use the VPN on your Apple TV for unblocking VoDs via its huge list of 3,500 servers in 32 countries. Users even enjoy simultaneous connections on 5 devices, along with other reliable features like Port Selection/Forwarding, SOCKS5 Proxy, etc.
- Network Sharing/Wireless Router for Apple TV
- 3,500 servers in 32 countries Worldwide
- Automatic Kill Switch and DNS Leak Protection
- No Restrictions on P2P/Torrenting
- Fast Connection Speeds for Streaming
- Does Not Unblock Netflix
VPN for Apple TV Free
We advise all our users to stay away from free VPN services, as they are not trustworthy and may charge you for their product in exchange for private information, sold to third-party services. After all, how can a FREE service afford the costs for server maintenance, app developing, updates/patches, and other VPN-related expenses? Nevertheless, if you still want to sign up with a free VPN (at your own risk), then here are some noteworthy options.
1) Hide.Me Apple TV
Centered in Malaysia, Hide.me offers both a premium and free model to meet the needs of all users. There is no doubt that the service provides brilliant performance and superb privacy online, but there is no uptime guarantee available. The free model gives you only 2GB data usage, a restricted choice of protocols, and allows only one connection at a time with a “best-effort” bandwidth imposed.
This means, you receive minimum speeds of 3Mbit/sec for streaming, downloading, and exploring. However, if you just need something to unblock websites on your Apple TV, then Hide.me is not a bad choice. The VPN service offers detailed setup guides on setting their client upon DD-WRT routers for providing VPN-protection on Apple TVs.
2) Hotspot Shield Apple TV
Based in the US, Hotspot Shield has been in the market for quite some time, losing its fame as competitors took over. However, it is a great FREE choice for those users, who want to a VPN for unblocking websites on their Apple TVs. The provider similar to above options offers customized guides on setting up the client on Apple TV by using the router or creating a hotspot from a laptop/phone. The only problem is that you have a limited 750 MB data limit per day.
Other Notable Free Apple TV VPNs
How to Install VPN on Apple TV – Smart DNS Proxy Alternative Method
- Switch on your Apple TV and head to the “Settings” Menu
- Navigate to “General” and then select “Network”
- Choose “Wi-Fi” if you use a Wireless network
- Choose “Ethernet” if you have a wired connection
- Go to “Configure DNS” and switch it to “Manual”
- Enter an Alternate DNS Server or Smart DNS Proxy
- You can get one from your VPN provider or from here
- After entering DNS and Proxy Settings hit the “Confirm” button
- Go to “Settings”, navigate to “General”, and click on iTunes Store
- In the “Location” menu, select the country you want to connect to
- Return to the main menu put the Apple to in “Sleep Now”
- Unplug the Apple TV Power Cord and wait ten seconds
- Plug the cord back in and enjoy easy unblocking via SmartDNS/Proxy
The Best VPN for Apple TV Streaming
There are 2 ways to unblock and access geo-restricted apps on Apple TV devices:
- Install a VPN app (automatic) or Configure (manual) the AppleTV VPN on your iOS/Mac and mirror from the device
- Configure the VPN on your router
But, before we get to that let’s look at the 5 most important features to consider before getting VPN for your device.
Having servers in ideal locations like the USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Netherlands etc. is very useful considering you may want to access various channels, internet radio stations and VoD websites from around the world.
I usually watch TV shows, football and movies over four different VoD services(HBO Now US, Netflix US, BBC iPlayer and beINSports US), so US and UK VPN servers are essential. Consider choosing a VPN with a worldwide server network.
Another important aspect of your VPN provider is the speed infrastructure behind the service. This can be tested easily using:
- a simple broadband speed test (to check speed experienced in your browser)
- a torrent client (to check peer to peer download speed)
- any 1 hour YouTube video (to check streaming speed & buffering)
- a 25 MB file sent overa test email sent to yourself (to check file upload speed)
- a Skype call made to a family member, colleague or friend (to check VoIP call quality)
The good news is that you can achieve all this in less than 20 minutes. SO have a go with our 5 best VPN for Apple TV, try their free trials & money back guarantees to test the service over your broadband connection.
Tunneling Protocols are essential to ensure that your real IP address& location are secured, plus this feature enhances data security through encryption. There are various tunneling protocols available including PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEv2, OpenVPN and few others offering a different mix of speed & security.
For Apple device users’ it is essential to choose an AppleTV VPN that offers more choice, since the company does not offer built-incompatibility with PPTP,SSTP and OpenVPN. Apple iOS devices and Mac devices only offer IKEv2, L2TP and IPSec protocols, while, OpenVPN can be configured using your VPN provider app or the OpenVPN client.
3. Apple TV VPN Apps for Mac & iOS
It is essential that your VPN on Apple TV offers apps for both iOS &Mac OSx devices, since these can make the process very simpler. You can simply install the vpn apple tv app on your respective device and connect through to any server with a simple click.
Apps can make unblocking Apple TV apps easier using the mirror feature now available on all Mac & iOS devices.
4. Customer Support
Always available customer support is essential in case you ever face issues using or configuring your AppleTV VPN. Most brands take customer service very seriously and have service available 24/7/365 so that you are never left hanging in case of an issue when using Apple TV through a VPN tunnel.
Do remember that even the fastest VPN service for Apple TV may not have adequate support channels. It is very important for you to check this feature out in person to determine if customer support provided by the VPN service id adequate.
Note: In our testing, ExpressVPN worked the best with Apple TV for bypassing region-restrictions, meeting the above-mentioned features.
Apple TV VPN Setup
The Apple TV device is not designed to offer VPN functionality. So, you can set up a VPN either the hard way or take the easy way out.
- Configure the VPN on your router, or
- Configure VPN on your Mac, PC, Laptop or iOS devices
How to Setup Apple TV VPN on Router (The Hard Way)
Setting up the vpn apple tv service on your Router definitely requires some effort and some acquaintance with router firmware settings. Usually any router with VPN protocol support will do but consider from the following list of routers:
- Netgear Genie
Power Your Router with a Apple TV VPN:
- Subscribe to a VPN for Apple TV
- You will either require a DDWRT router or another router that supports PPTP, OpenVPN or IKEv2 protocols – We have used an Asus RT-AC66U Router
- Open a new browser windows and access you Router Gateway Settings by typing “192.168.1.1”in the address bar
- If prompted for a username & password turn over your router and you will find them printed on the tag
- Once logged into the Router Settings, from the left hand menu select Advanced Settings >WAN
- Change WAN Connection type to “PPTP” in the Basic Config section
- For the 3 options listed below, tick:
- Enable WAN, NAT, and UPNP
- In the next section, tick the “Get the WAN IP automatically” to Yes
- For the ‘WAN DNS’ menu, check‘ Connect to DNS server automatically’ to ‘No’ and insert following DNS Server 1 “8.8.8”, DNS Server 2 “188.8.131.52”
- In the Account Setting Menu, fill in your VPN Username & Password as shown above
- Leave the “Auto”option or select “MPPE 128”encryption in the PPTP Options box,
- Enter the VPN Server you wish to connect to US, UK, Canada etc. in the Special Requirement from ISP menu, (request the server list from your vpn apple tv provider)
- Click Apply and restart your router, your VPN should be ready to go.
How to Setup Apple TV VPN without Router (Using AirPlay)
Setting up your Apple TV VPN without a router is not only easier but faster. Thanks to Apple embedding the AirPlay Mirror option in their iOS and Mac OSx devices, playing your favorite media has never been easier. To setup your VPN on Apple TV without the router, here is what to do:
- Install the VPN app for your device i.e. iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod)or Mac OSx (Mac desktop,MacBook)
- Connect your VPN to the region you wish to unblock apps from e.g. US server for Netflix & HBO or UK Server for BBC iPlayer
- Make sure both your device and the Apple TV are connected to the same WI-FI network
- In case of iOS devices make sure you have the relevant streaming apps on your device rather than installing them on the Apple TV
- Turn on your AirPlay feature by going to your Apple TV Settings>AirPlay>ON
- Once the VPN is connected:
- Mac OSx users should simply logon to the websites they wish to stream, then click the AirPlay icon in the Menu Bar
- iOS users should swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Center, then tap AirPlay. Launch the app you want to mirror e.g. Netflix
- See your screen mirrored on the TV screen.
Apple TV VPN Netflix
The thing about accessing Netflix is that you receive a different listing of movies/TV shows in varied countries. There are multiple versions of Netflix. The US site gives users access to over 1157 TV shows and 4593 movie titles. However, in other countries, you may not access the full 100% of the Netflix library. You can check the difference in libraries here.
Some countries even go as low as only 10% and below of the complete Netflix Library. Names include Morocco, Zimbabwe, Albania, Thailand, Hong Kong, etc. So, what is with this discrimination? Well, the problem revolves around the “distribution rights” of different production companies. Most only agree on making available all content in prominent countries like the US.
This is what led to many Netflix users utilizing VPN services for unblocking the complete library. However, the VoD service quickly realized they were losing money because of VPNs, so they created a block list. This makes it almost impossible nowadays to access US Netflix, since most VPNs use dynamic IPs. If you want to bypass geo-restrictions, you will need to use a static IP.
BestVPN.co has listed some of the best VPN services that offer dedicated IPs, along with a few VPNs that still work with Netflix. Simply sign up with the provider, connect to a server in the US, and enjoy accessing the complete Netflix library, without any hassles!
Apple TV VPN FAQs
When it comes to setting up a VPN on your Apple TV, users may have plenty of concerns/questions running through their mind. In light of this, BestVPN.co has listed some of the most common queries we get from our users in one location. Refer to the FAQs below for troubleshooting:
Can You Get A VPN On Apple TV?
You can setup a VPN on Apple TV by first investing in a pre-configured Flash Router from providers like NordVPN and ExpressVPN. Both of them offer users the ability of getting dedicated routers with a suitable app for configuring the network in your home. Once setup, simply connect your Apple TV to the Wi-Fi and enjoy receiving maximum protection and anonymity for streaming pirated content (if any).
How Do I Change the IP Address On My Apple TV?
The process of changing the IP address on your Apple TV is quite simple. Head to settings and click on “Network”. You will receive details on your current network configuration. Click on “Configure DNS” and on the “Manual” button. Enter a custom DNS number or one that you trust. Click on the “Done” button and restart your Apple TV.
How to Use VPN on Apple TV?
As mentioned earlier, if you want to use a VPN on Apple TV, you will have to rely on getting a VPN-configured router. As another option, you can also update the firmware of your current router by download the latest update from suitable providers like ExpressVPN and NordVPN. This way, you can leverage maximum security across all devices in your home.
How Do You Reset Apple TV 4k?
For Apple TV 4K and 3rd generations and earlier, go to “Settings”, click on “General”, and hit the “Restart” button. To perform a complete reset, disconnect your Apple TV by removing the cable. Connect a Micro-USB cable to the port at the back and then your MAC or PC. Once connected, open iTunes. Click on “Restore Apple TV” to complete the process. Switch on your Apple TV!
In a Nutshell
Consider an AppleTV VPN to unblock all geo-restricted entertainment including your favorite videos, music and radio stations from anywhere in the world. We hope tour guide is helpful for VPN suggestion and set up the service on your streaming box. In case you would like us to improve the guide or add new sections to leave us your precious feedback in the comments section below.