How to Install & Set Up ExpressVPN on Router in 2020
Whether you are a journalist who wants to keep their identity hidden, or starting out a new business that requires a local network for secure and convenient data sharing, having a personalized ExpressVPN router can come in great handy.
It offers a more secure, robust, and consistent internet experience, while also working in favor of keeping your family secure if they engage in P2P/Torrenting, or simply want their information safe from identity thieves, malware, and viruses.
How to Protect your Home Wi-Fi with a VPN Router
Step 2: Purchase a preconfigured VPN router from here
Step 3: Set up your router with these steps for Asus, LinkSys, Netgear!
Benefits of Using ExpressVPN on Router
- Gain Strong Protection: Leverage VPN connectivity on devices that cannot run the software. This includes Smart TVs, gaming consoles like PlayStation and Xbox, and IoT devices like lightbulbs, smart speakers, security cameras, etc.
- Leverage Powerful Security: A VPN functions at its best when it is always connected. With the ExpressVPN router, you don’t have to reconnect all the time. All devices receive strong security directly when connected to the Wi-Fi.
- Easy-To-Use and Configure: The ExpressVPN router makes connecting to different VPN server locations incredibly easily. Simply navigate to “VPN connections”, select a server, and just click the “connect” button, that is all!
- Connect More Devices: With an ExpressVPN subscription, you can connect simultaneously on 5 devices. By using the ExpressVPN router application, you will not be required to install separate apps on all devices.
- Bypass Geo-Restrictions: By using ExpressVPN, you can unblock any and all streaming platforms, which include ExpressVPN Netflix, ExpressVPN Hulu, ExpressVPN BBC iPlayer, and ExpressVPN Disney Plus.
How to Set Up the ExpressVPN Router App for Linksys
- Download the correct ExpressVPN firmware by clicking here and from the dropdown menu, selecting the relevant Linksys model of your router.
- In the address bar of your browser, enter the IP address for the router. This will open up the admin panel. By default, the IP address for most is 192.168.1.1
- Enter your Linksys router dashboard’s username and password. You will find this information underneath the router in a fine-print.
- Click on “Connectivity” after logging in, select “Choose File”, upload the ExpressVPN firmware you downloaded, and hit the “Start” button.
- A pop-up notification will appear informing you that the firmware is not recognized and that the update will require you to reboot your router.
- Boot your router after a restart and go to the URL: http://www.expressvpnrouter.com/ or 192.168.42.1 to begin setting up the new firmware.
- Login by using “Admin” as the username and entering the 8-digit password. You can find the relevant password at the bottom of your router.
- You will now be required to activate your ExpressVPN account. Sign in to your account, click on setup ExpressVPN, and copy the 23-digit activation code.
- Paste it in the ExpressVPN Router “Account Setup” menu and hit the “Activate” button. Click on the “VPN connections” tab and connect to any VPN server!
How to Change Your ExpressVPN Router Settings
If you want to alter any settings for your ExpressVPN router, you can do so by entering the following URL into your browser address bar: https://www.expressvpnrouter.com/ or simply 192.168.42.1 (similar to accessing any other router).
Once accessed, you can easily change the Wi-Fi name and password, If needed. You can also toggle on Hide network name (SSID) from this menu. Last, but not the last, you can even perform a soft reset by selecting “Reboot Router”.
How to Upgrade the ExpressVPN Router Firmware
- Download the latest firmware for your ExpressVPN Router from here.
- Navigate to the ExpressVPN dashboard by entering 192.168.42.1 in your browser
- Click on “Advanced Settings” in the side bar and select “Software Update”
- Select “Choose File” and click on the firmware you download.
- Hit the “Update Now” button and enjoy the latest upgrade!
ExpressVPN Router: FAQs
What is a VPN Router?
VPN routers are a more advanced version of the standard Wi-Fi, which enables users to leverage strong connections at a hardware level. This eliminates the need for individual software installations, as the software is already pre-loaded with an intuitive app.
How do I update my ExpressVPN router?
The updating process does not require any rocket science. Users just have to click here, download the latest firmware for their router model, and then load it into their router!
What Routers Support VPN?
Almost all DD-WRT routers support VPN configuration and setup. For more specific information regarding different router models, you can check out Flash Routers. Here you can find details on the best Wi-Fi VPN routers.
Benefits of Using ExpressVPN on Router
Secures all your devices connected to the Wi-network at home, reduces your overall IT costs by creating a local network for data sharing, and improves the reliability of remote connections (guaranteeing safe data transfers)
Can I put ExpressVPN on my router?
Yes, you can get ExpressVPn on your router. This means, you do not have to install their app on every device you own. Simply connect each device to the router and enjoy VPN connectivity.
What routers are compatible with ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN offers their router app firmware on a number of different LinkSys, Asus, and Netgear routers. You can take a look at the supported routers list by checking out their page here.
How do I configure ExpressVPN on my router?
You will have to install the ExpressVPN firmware on your existing router and then access the ExpressVPN router dashboard by entering www.expressvpnrouter.com into the address bar of your browser.
What to do if you are unable to connect to your ExpressVPN router?
In circumstances you have installed ExpressVPN on your router and face trouble in connection, you can check out the troubleshooting guides offered by the provider for instant assistance!
Wrapping Things Up
With this, we come to an end of the ExpressVPN Router guide, which should help users setup a VPN on their router manually or directly from the provider.
If you encounter any issues/problems, don’t hesitate on dropping a comment below. Also, feel free to share the guide with your friends/family members, looking for a permanent solution.