12VPN Review for New Zealand Users in 2022
|Price||(NZ$10.69)5.99/mo. (On 1-Year Plan)|
|Servers||300+ servers in 38+ countries|
|Works in China||Yes|
|Compatibility||Windows, Android, Apple, Desktop, Chrome, Firefox|
In this blog 12VPN Review for New Zealand Users in 2022, we have tried our best to cover all the features and capabilities of this service to project its pros & cons which enlightens the way for followers to acquire the best VPN service for them.
The Hong Kong-based VPN service 12VPN has more than 300 servers in locations all around the world. It lacks the server diversity of competitors like ExpressVPN and Surfshark in New Zealand. Its website brags about safe connections and high transfer rates but doesn’t offer much else in the way of details.
The platform does not offer a 256-bit encrypted OpenVPN protocol by design. After putting 12VPN through its paces, We can attest to its robust security features and its capacity to obviate China’s Great Firewall with relative ease.
This VPN is not suitable for use when streaming as we were only able to get a few of our streaming accounts unblocked. Further, We thought the pricing to be a little high and the privacy policies to be unclear in New Zealand.
12VPN offers a 14-day money-back guarantee so you may test out the service without any financial risk in New Zealand. All the functions may be tried out in the comfort of your own home or while away from your regular environment.
After considering all of the factors listed above, we cannot endorse 12VPN but do advise ExpressVPN as the finest VPN service available today in New Zealand.
12VPN Review for New Zealand Users Pros and Cons
Here in this 12VPN review in New Zealand, we have enlisted some key Pros and Cons of this application, have a look at them
- Extremely user-friendly in New Zealand.
- Works in the Chinese region.
- Supports unblocking Netflix in New Zealand.
- Compatibility with routers in New Zealand.
- Excellent security standards in New Zealand.
- Absence of kill switch
- Insufficient Server network
- There is no live chat in New Zealand
- 12VPN torrenting servers are sluggish in New Zealand.
- Maintains specific logs for 30 days.
In the 12VPN review in New Zealand, we have included the following factors based on which we have evaluated the service.
- Jurisdiction: Where Does 12VPN Operate from?
- Security: Is 12VPN a Safe Option in New Zealand?
- Leaks: Does 12VPN Leak WebRTC/DNS/IP Address?
- Servers: How Many Servers Does 12VPN Have?
- Streaming: Does 12VPN Unblock Netflix in New Zealand?
- Speed: Does 12VPN Have Speedy Servers in New Zealand?
- Compatibility: Can I Use Encrypt? Me On All Devices in New Zealand?
- Pricing: Is Encrypt. Me Affordable in New Zealand?
- Trustworthiness: What Do Users Say About 12VPN in New Zealand?
Jurisdiction – Where Does 12VPN Operate From?
12VPN is based out of Hong Kong. As far as PN headquarters are concerned, Hong Kong is by far one of the safest locations.
The country is not part of any notorious intelligence-sharing circles like the 5/9/14 Eyes alliance. Additionally, the country does not have any Orwellian data retention laws of its own. This is one reason the country enjoys a stellar reputation as far as users’ online privacy is concerned.
Furthermore, there is a past precedent of services operating out of Hong Kong being fiercely devoted to maintaining their privacy solidifying the notion that it is an immensely safe location that users can trust.
Security – Is 12VPN a Safe Option in New Zealand?
No, the service can’t be considered safe in New Zealand. Surprisingly, 12VPN doesn’t provide the OpenVPN protocol as so many other VPNs do. OpenConnect, SSTP, WireGuard, IPSec, IKEv2, and PPTP are among the supported protocols.
However, we were not sure, we trusted their position on encryption. That’s because their website makes no mention of encryption strength in any way.
Transparent Logging Policy
It’s hardly surprising that the service has a stringent no-logs policy. In contrast to its amazing logging policies, we also appreciated that it did not hoard any personal information about its consumers.
It does not even save users’ email addresses in New Zealand, for example. To keep track of all of this data, even while it’s being used in a financial transaction, it’s been assigned a unique number. Within 30 days, the real information is destroyed, therefore 12VPN does not save any personally identifiable information about its users.
Encryption & Protocols
12vpn protocol supports a wide range of protocols including PPTP, IPSec, IKEv2, and SoftEther in New Zealand. However, the 12VPN Windows application is only provided access to these features:
- WEB is 12VPN’s unique protocol designed to distribute network traffic over numerous servers for improved speed in New Zealand. This protocol provided me with far quicker speeds than OpenVPN.
- WireGuard is a relatively new protocol meant to be quicker and lighter than OpenVPN, although with a lower level of security in New Zealand. WireGuard is only possible via manual configuration with 12VPN.
- OpenVPN is an industry-standard technology that offers robust encryption and fast speeds in New Zealand. 12VPN supports both the TCP and OpenVPN Stealth protocols to circumvent firewalls.
- ChromeOS — v2rayNG and WireGuard in New Zealand
- Linux — OpenConnect and WireGuard in New Zealand
- iOS — 12VPN iPhone and 12VPN iPad apps are fully optimized with Shadowscale and WireGuard in New Zealand.
- Android — 12VPN android apps are very flexible. works with WireGuard and v2rayNG in New Zealand.
- Routers — v2Ray and WireGuard in New Zealand
v2ray features built-in obfuscation that conceals TLS communication, it operates concurrently with web servers. OpenConnect is an open-source application for establishing secure point-to-point connections. Configuration may be imported using Shadowscale by simply scanning QR codes or by entering URLs.
It’s important to note that your encryption determines the basis of the protocol you use. OpenVPN and WireGuard both use the ultra-secure 256-bit AES encryption protocol in New Zealand.
However, the VPN’s unique WEB protocol employs just 128-bit encryption, which would be quicker but less secure in New Zealand. 12vpn for windows app is very secure as the website claims that you may pick your degree of security in the Windows app.
12VPN Virus Test
We conducted a virus test to be sure that the service and its installation file for the client do not have hidden malware attached to them. Here is the result of that test:
As users can see, no viruses or malware should worry users.
Additional Security Features
There is a SmartDNS service, although it is unsafe to be using. SmartDNS enables access to geo-restricted websites and services. Comparable to a proxy, it merely routes a subset of your traffic, namely DNS requests, through its servers. Consequently, you have no online protection, when you surf in New Zealand.
We also discovered that the SmartDNS feature of 12VPN keeps the Internet address until you terminate your subscription. Due to these factors, We did not feel comfortable trying this service, thus we cannot say whether it is more effective at unclogging than the standard servers.
They have a NAT firewall that automatically protects servers as well. This type of firewall prohibits any communication from flowing across except when it is authorized by a gadget on your networks. Any unwanted queries are rejected, eliminating communication with possibly hazardous internet-connected devices.
12VPN offers a kill switch as well in New Zealand, although it is not default enabled. Kill switches are essential because they terminate internet communications if the VPN connection fails. This protects your identity, whereabouts, and internet activities from being disclosed to your ISP inadvertently.
It was surprising to see that there was no Multihop option. Multihop is a method of utilizing two locations instead of one, hence adding a layer of security and encryption to your connection. Also, there is no option to use a VPN with Tor, which shields your Internet address and prevents the Tor entry node from discovering.
Overall, the VPN provides robust security measures to secure your data and shield you from potential cyber assaults and cyber criminals, but its apps may be harmful in New Zealand.
Leaks – Does 12VPN Leak WebRTC/DNS/IP Address?
With little to no info on the service’s encryption, we were extremely interested in seeing whether the service has any potential leaks that users need to be worried about. Hence, we conducted a series of tests to see if 12VPN leaves the IP, DNS, and WebRTC addresses exposed. Here are the results:
As users can see, there were no major leaks that should be a cause for concern.
Servers – How Many Servers Does 12VPN Have?
With 300 servers in 38+ different locations, 12VPN is a formidable competitor. The network may not be very large, but its nodes are spread out evenly over the planet.
Furthermore, the VPN advertises that users may gain access to FLIX-USA servers, which are only available from within the United States. Unfortunately, none of my test connections succeeded with this server.
12VPN does have servers in certain out-of-the-way places (like Russia), but their service is far from robust or complete. Some servers would still not connect at all, whereas the vast majority were OK and did so in under 15 seconds.
Does 12VPN Support Torrenting in New Zealand?
Surprisingly, the 12VPN torrenting service is not offered in New Zealand. This is due to issues with its servers. All of 12VPN’s servers are located in a country with stringent anti-piracy laws, making it nearly hard for the VPN service to offer torrenting assistance to its customers.
Does 12VPN Work in China?
We were delighted to discover that 12VPN in China is an option to unlock local content as it has servers available in Mainland – China. While we do not reside in China and were unable to personally test the service there, 12VPN’s customer care confirmed that the VPN works there.
12VPN is compatible with OpenVPN, Wireguard, SoftEther, OpenConnect, and Shadowscale; these technologies are tailored for safe account access in China. Note that using a VPN that is not sanctioned by the Chinese government is unlawful.
Nevertheless, there are no instances of the Chinese government penalizing visitors. The prevalent belief is that China combats VPNs by technologically banning them, rather than by pursuing VPN users.
Streaming – Does 12VPN Unblock Netflix in New Zealand?
As far as VPNs go, 12VPN can handle streaming rather well. Some of the most prominent streaming sites remained accessible, but others were restricted.
Most of the streaming platforms We tried were blocked. The VPN was able to bypass geo-restrictions on streaming services including HBO Now, Disney Plus, and Netflix. However, in our testing, it was unable to bypass geo-restrictions on BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, or Hulu.
Unblocked HBO Max, Disney+, and Netflix
We found 12VPN’s streaming performance to be about par for the course. Space Force was finally playable on our PC when we were able to access Netflix in the United States. However, there were a few hiccups in the streaming quality.
Using 12VPN, We were able to access HBO Max and Disney+ from locations where they were blocked. We were able to catch up on episodes like Lois, Superman & Marvel’s Legends. We like being able to go into the streaming services while on the road, but we were frustrated by the odd loss of video quality.
BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu Restricted 12VPN
Unfortunately, 12VPN only unblocked one of the many popular streaming services. Hulu was blocked in the country we were visiting, and despite using 12VPN, we were unable to access the episodes we would love to watch.
To avoid being stuck on one slow US server, we hopped around too many. However, we were unable to circumvent the geoblocks using any of them.
In a similar vein, both BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video were inaccessible during the testing phase. These systems flagged the usage of a VPN and displayed an error notice when the connection was attempted.
12VPN isn’t the best option if you want to use services like BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, or Hulu. We propose ExpressVPN as a reliable VPN that can be used to access blocked content on many streaming services.
It features dedicated streaming servers that allow you to watch videos without interruption, including those that 12VPN didn’t manage to unlock.
Speed – Does 12VPN Have Speedy Servers in New Zealand?
While the server count may not be impressive, we wanted to focus on the speed they can provide. Hence, on a 100Mbps connection, we conducted a speed test on 12VPN’s servers in Australia, Taiwan, Germany, the UK, and Singapore.
When evaluating 12VPN’s speeds, we considered three metrics:
- Upload speed – It quantifies the quantity of data that can be sent per second from your computer. It is measured in megabits per second and is important for video calls, texting, etc.
- Downloading Speed – This is the amount of information you can get via the internet, measured in megabits per second. This is essential if you intend to stream.
- Ping – It is measured in milliseconds and indicates server response time. This is essential for gaming, as excessive ping causes latency.
Here are the results:
|Server||12VPN Download||12VPN Upload||Ping|
Compatibility – Can I Use 12VPN On All Devices in New Zealand?
12VPN Windows app and 12VPN Mac app can only be downloaded by users who may download 12VPN’s provided mechanism. It is possible to use it with other systems, however doing so requires a laborious manual configuration. Each has a unique set of protocols that may be used to set it up in New Zealand.
- iOS – WireGuard with manual configuration in New Zealand
- Android – Manual configuration with the v2RayNG app. or the WireGuard client in New Zealand.
- ChromeOS – Manually configure with the v2RayNG app in New Zealand
- Apple TV – Smart DNS service in New Zealand
- Linux – Manually configured OpenConnect or WireGuardon Ubuntu in New Zealand
- Windows app:
- Merlin – SmartDNS, PPTP, OpenVPN
- OpenWRT – v2Ray, WireGuard, SmartDNS, Policy-Based Routing
- Sabai – PPTP or OpenVPN.
- DD-WRT – OpenVPN or PPTP
- TP-Link – PPTP
- Xiaomi – PPTP
- Apple Airport – SmartDNS
Keep in mind that 12VPN’s SmartDNS service doesn’t encrypt your traffic and keeps a track of your IP address. Therefore, your privacy may be in danger if you rely solely on SmartDNS-compatible devices in New Zealand.
Setup & Installation
For both Mac and Windows users, 12VPN has a quick and easy installation method in New Zealand. The VPN-GUI programs that it provides may be easily downloaded straight from the control panel. Contrarily, setup on other operating systems might be complex.
To utilize the service, you will need to manually download settings and install programs like OpenVPN. When we tried out the service on our Windows pc, it worked without a hitch.
How to Download and Install 12VPN in New Zealand
- Join 12VPN now by signing up for an account.
- To get the app, go to your dashboard and then select “SETUP.”
- Launch the app’s installer after downloading it.
- Access your account using the email address and password you used to sign up.
- To change to a different server, use the drop-down menu.
- Access the service immediately by clicking the “Connect” button.
Pricing – Is 12VPN Affordable in New Zealand?
We can’t label 12VPN’s plans on offer as being affordable in New Zealand. Compared to some of the other VPN options on the market, 12VPN does come across as highly expensive. Users have a choice between the standard Monthly, 6-Months, and Yearly packages.
- Monthly ($10.99 (NZ$19.62) per month)
- 6-Month ($8.99 (NZ$16.05) per month/$53.95 (NZ$96.32) per 6 months)
- Yearly ($5.99 (NZ$10.69) per month/$71.88 (NZ$128.33) per year)
12VPN Refund Policy in New Zealand
While the service does offer a refund policy of 14-days, it comes with some conditions. For instance, users will not be able to avail of a discount if they’ve used over 5GB of data, paid via cryptocurrencies, or breached any of the service’s Terms of Service in New Zealand.
12VPN Payment Methods in New Zealand
We found the variety of payment options to be a positive indication of its commitment to privacy. Users will be able to make all payments through their VISA/Mastercard credit card, AliPay, as well as their PayPal account in New Zealand.
Additionally, the service also allows payments via cryptocurrencies and cash mailed directly to their Hong Kong office.
Trustworthiness – What Do Users Say about 12VPN in New Zealand?
We did not wish to let my personal experience drive this review. Hence, We were interested to see what the internet, and in particular its users, felt about the service. Unfortunately, the service is not listed on Trustpilot, meaning We were with only Reddit. We also looked at the service’s customer support. Here’s what we found:
12VPN Reddit Review
Reddit also seemed a bit short on chatter about 12VPN. However, we did find some interesting insights that should prove helpful to users.
It seems that more than anything 12VPN is a well-regarded service to use inside China. This is probably thanks to how it is one of the few VPNs that has been able to evade the notorious crackdowns by the Chinese government.
Similarly, the few protocols that 12VPN does offer function tremendously well in China. While there are speed issues as my review covers, there is no case of frequent disconnections making it an excellent service for use.
12VPN Customer Support in New Zealand
I found customer support to be underwhelming, to say the least. The lack of 24/7 live chat support was immediately evident. Similarly, there is no resourceful FAQ section. Most of the questions and answers there are generic issues that are easily available on the internet.
Other than that, the service offers the option to talk to a representative on call. This was an interesting feature, though I should add that you will likely need a local Hong Kong number to get through.
12VPN Alternatives in New Zealand
It’s probable that using this VPN service to access streaming platforms where you wish to view and enjoy your favorite Videos, Sports, and TV series will be a source of frustration.
That’s why people hunt for viable options. We have compared many VPNs for your binge-watching pleasure in New Zealand. Have a look:
- ExpressVPN – ExpressVPN has a total count of 3000+ servers in 94+ countries. Brilliant overall service provides top-notch speed and security to customers. ExpressVPN costs $6.67/mo (NZ$11.91/mo) on a 1-year plan. Every single plan is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – Surfshark has a total count of 3200+ servers in 65+ countries. Surfshark is renowned for its low prices and high-value services with unlimited concurrent connections. Surshark costs $2.49/mo (NZ$4.45/mo) on a 1-year plan. They do provide a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- PureVPN – PureVPN s a total count of 6500+ servers in 78 countries. They provide blazing-fast servers with ultimate security and encryption. PureVPN costs $1.99/mo (NZ$3.55/mo) on a 1-year plan. Every plan comes with a 31-day money-back guarantee.
Do I Recommend 12VPN for New Zealand Users?
The service in Hong Kong is not something we would suggest. Even while the service has some great features like compatibility and support, it falls short in other areas, such as Netflix streaming, torrenting, and price, where consumers have high expectations.
While the VPN’s stated priority is protecting user privacy, it keeps extensive logs of user activity across several devices and sessions. The fact that the VPN operates out of 9/14 Eyes countries makes this situation even more worrisome.
And even if your VPN connection drops, you can’t hide your true identity because the provider doesn’t offer a kill switch in New Zealand. The aforesaid 12VPN review leads us to give the service a 2.5 out of 5-star rating.
The best financial advice we can provide is to put your money away. Comparable or even cheaper alternatives like 12VPN exist.
FAQs About 12VPN for New Zealand Users
Can I use 12VPN for free in New Zealand?
If you’re interested in giving the service a try, you may do so risk-free for two weeks before having to decide whether to keep using it or request a refund.
Is 12VPN safe in New Zealand?
The level of security provided by 12VPN relies heavily on the preferences you choose. However, although it does support AES-256 security with OpenVPN, this only supports AES-128 with its WEB protocols in New Zealand.
How to remove a credit card from 12vpn in New Zealand?
here is how to remove a credit card from 12vpn in New Zealand:
- To make changes to your payment information, please visit the Billing Section by logging into your account.
- Activate the “Update” button in the green bar.
- A red “Delete Saved Card Details” button appears as the last option for erasing your saved credit card information.
How to purchase 12vpn using bitcoin in New Zealand?
For the sake of this guide, let’s pretend you already have some Bitcoins stored in a wallet. How to make a Bitcoin purchase of 12VPN is detailed in detail below.
- Sign up for a VPN service by visiting their website. Visit Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency payment areas.
- To accept Bitcoin payments, most VPNs partner with a payment processor like BitPay. You have the option to register or to proceed as a guest.
- To proceed, please provide your contact information. The method of payment utilized by your VPN service will determine this.
- The screen will show you a QR code and a URL for making a payment. You can either copy and paste the URL into your Bitcoin wallet app or scan the QR code with your mobile device.
- You can confirm the transaction and send the bitcoin using a cryptocurrency wallet app. If your transaction requires blockchain verification, you may have to wait.
- Once payment has been done. you can enjoy utilizing the service