How to watch Hotstar in USA and anywhere in the world
Similar to Voot, the infamous Hotstar is a name that gets quite the fame among binge-watchers! Owned by Novi Digital Entertainment, the AVOD platform offers the latest in Indian TV and will soon even be hosting Disney+’s catalog.
While you can use the free app and website, a huge chunk of its content requires a premium subscription. Also, since the site imposes geo-restrictions, those located outside India have trouble accessing their favorite content.
This makes it crucial to use a VPN service. Now, you can simply click on the link below, get that VPN subscription, connect to an Indian server, and enjoy streaming on Hotstar, or choose to read our complete guide ahead of it…
How to Watch Hotstar in USA
- Subscribe to a PureVPN plan by clicking here
- Get the relevant app for your device/platform
- Launch it and connect to an Indian server or;
- Tap on “Popular Websites” and select Hotstar
- You can now unblock the Hotstar app or website!
How to Watch Hotstar Outside India: VPN Suggestions
Below is a list of the best Hotstar VPNs in the marketplace, based on performance, server availability, advanced features, support, and pricing:
- PureVPN: Our top pick for Hotstar. 9 Servers in India for unblocking the VoD. Available for $2.91/mo
- Surfshark: Budget-friendly VPN for Hotstar. 3 Indian servers are available for the streaming platform. Available for $1.99/mo
- ExpressVPN: Value-packed Hotstar VPN. 3 servers in India for accessing Hotstar. Costs $8.32/mo
- CyberGhost: Fast and secure VPN for Hotstar. 21 Indian servers are available for the VoD. Price starts at $2.75/mo
- Ivacy: An upward trending VPN for Hotstar. 3 servers in India for streaming on Hotstar. Costs $2.25/mo
Where Else is Hotstar Available?
The only “outsiders” granted access to Hotstar are those located in Canada and the US, accessible via the ca.hotstar.com and us.hotstar.com domains.
Users pay $9.99 in the US and $12.99 in Canada for a monthly subscription. Even so, the content library will differ, as part of licensing deals and copyright laws.
So, what about those, who are not located in India, US, or Canada? Well, the site typically blocks users from unauthorized locations, giving this error:
“Hotstar Content Not Available in Your Region”
The AVOD platform uses IP filtering and blocking algorithms, which instantly block users from accessing content on HotStar, if they do not reside in India or supported countries like US or Canada.
This practice is quite similar to VoD sites like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime, all of which are famed for their content. So, if you can unblock these sites, how do you do the same for Hotstar?
If you want to bypass these geo-restrictions, you will need to invest in a VPN solution. These tools mask your original location, giving you an IP address from a server in another country.
How to Sign Up with Hotstar?
Signing up with Hotstar does not require any rocket science. Simply visit the main website and click on the “SIGN IN” option, at the top right corner of the page.
A pop-up box will appear. On the bottom right corner, click on the “Sign Up” option. Enter a valid email address, a reliable password, and your age.
Select your gender and then hit the “SIGN UP” option. This will give you access to the “free” version of the website and all the content with it.
Where Can I Download Hotstar from?
If you want to watch your favorite Indian movies/TV shows on smartphones, you will be pleased to hear that Hotstar offers dedicated apps for iOS and Android.
Though we would like seeing a little bit more variety, there is news of an Apple TV and Roku app “coming soon”, according to Hotstar.
Nevertheless, you can always access the website for watching your favorite content, across all devices and platforms until then.
How to Download Movies and TV Shows Videos from Hotstar
One of the best things about using Hotstar to watch your favorite Indian movies, TV shows, and soap operas is that you have the ability to download them to watch at a later and more convenient time.
Offline viewing is not supported by a lot of VoD services, but Hotstar goes the extra mile by granting this reliable feature. To figure out how to download movies/TV shows via Hotstar, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Hotstar app on your iPhone or Android mobile
- Make sure you have a proper internet connection
- On the home screen of the app, select any video to watch from the various categories
- You can even use the search button for quick navigation to your favorite movie/TV show
- After selecting a movie to watch by tapping on the title, tap on the “Download” symbol
- Select an appropriate resolution to allow the download to start in the background.
How To Watch Hotstar With Subtitles
I am one of those individuals who simply cannot enjoy watching a movie if there are not any subtitles available.
It is because sometimes the varied accents are difficult to comprehend. Therefore, it feels like you are not really understanding anything going on.
This is why I always use subtitles and know users of Hotstar might be looking for the same. Lucky for you, there is a solution.
Those of you who wish to read subtitles with the media being played on Hotstar simply go to the bottom menu bar of the video and click the captions button. This captions button will display with every video that has been embedded with subtitles.
To ratify this fact, I contacted Hotstar support who diligently responded to my query and confirmed the same. Shweta at HotStar Support also confirmed that subtitles cannot be turned on using a 3rd Party App.
DO NOT FALL FOR FALSE APPS CLAIMING TO PROVIDE SUBTITLES ON HOTSTAR!
Remember that not all Hotstar media is offered with captions & subtitles. All movies, TV shows, sports events and premium content with subtitles will show the captions icon in the video panel.
How to Watch Hotstar in the UK
Residents of the UK that hope to catch up on the latest Bollywood movies, dramas, IPLT20, and HBO shows should definitely subscribe to Hotstar. The website offers a wide range of shows from TV channels such as Star Plus, Star World, National Geographic Channel, Fox Life and much more.
In response to a UK users comment posted on Reddit, who wanted to watch “On air with AIB” (an Indian TV show), I give you the easiest and cheapest formula to watch your show anywhere, anytime:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider
- Download the VPN Windows app
- Launch the app and sign in with your credentials
- Go to HotStar website and you should be able to stream all videos except premium
Once you connect to a VPN service, you can easily access Hotstar from anywhere in the UK, which includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Isle of Man. I suggest using Surfshark as it has server location in Mumbai, Chennai and Indore within India, offering high-speed streaming as well.
Surfshark also includes dedicated high-speed P2P & torrent servers, dedicated IP VPN and plus many more features for its wallet-friendly $1.99 per month (2-year package).
How to Watch Hotstar App in UAE
- Download and Sign-up for a VPN
- Launch the VPN app/software and enter your login credentials
- Connect to an Indian server and launch the Hotstar app/visit website
- Enjoy watching your favorite Indian movies/dramas/soap operas in UAE!
How to Watch Hotstar in Pakistan
- Download and Sign-up for a VPN
- Enter username/password to unlock all features of the application
- Select an India server from the list and hit the “Connect” button
- Visit the Hotstar website or launch the app to enjoy Indian TV in Pakistan!
Watch Hotstar outside India with an Android VPN
- Go to the Google Play Store or your VPN provider’s website and download the VPN app
- I personally use Surfshark for unblocking content on Hotstar
- Click INSTALL to download the app to your phone
- Open the app and log in using your Surfshark credentials
- Go to the server selection menu and Scroll down to India and connect
- Clear all data for Google Play Services &Google Play Store
- Close Google Play and make sure it is not running in the background
- Launch Hotstar and enjoy streaming your favorite content with an Indian IP!
How to Watch Hotstar on Kodi
HotStar has always remained a popular add-on of the Kodi media center. A one-stop solution for watching Indian entertainment, global sports, and leading TV series, the extension is definitely a life-saver for expats, who have just shifted to the USA or Canada, and need access to their favorite content. Follow the steps below for installing the Hotstar add-on on Kodi.
Hotstar Add-on Installation Guide
From your Kodi Home Screen, click the Settings cog in the left-hand menu.
- Launch Kodi Krypton V17 and on the top right corner click the “Gear” icon
- Select “File Manager” on the bottom right corner of the menu
- Scroll down from the left menu and open “Add Source”
- Double-Click on “None” and enter http://srp.nu
- Give the media source a name. For instance, “SuperRepo”
- Go back to the main Kodi menu and click on “Add-ons”
- Hit the “Package” symbol to begin the installation process
- Select “Install from zip file” and find the “SuperRepo” media source
- Click on “Krypton” > All > superrepo.kodi.krypton.all-0.7.04.zip
- Wait a few minutes for the “Add-on Installed” notification
- Return to the previous menu and click on “Install from Repository”
- Select “SuperRepo All [Krypton] [V7]” and then open the “Video Add-ons” list
- Find “Hotstar”, open the add-on and then hit the install button
- Launch the add-on and enjoy streaming your favorite Indian entertainment!
How To Watch Hotstar with Jio TV Live App
If you have a Jio 4G LTE Network Sim, you can watch all HotStar Premium & Free content with subscribing to HotStar Premium.
Jio Network users’ have confirmed this on social network ‘Quora’:
Jio Network & HotStar are partnering for this great venture. I checked their FAQs section too, which confirmed the news. This means, you can finally watch your favorite content like Game of Thrones through JioTV!
Can I Use a Proxy to Access Hotstar?
Proxy servers are exactly the same as a VPN, with the exception of data encryption. A Proxy service does exactly the same job as a VPN, hence allowing you to circumvent the geo-restrictions placed on HotStar’s website & apps.
Although it is a more viable solution for those looking solely to stream videos, browse online & listen to music there is an absence of proxy providers for India. I have listed the ones that are available on the Google Chrome Store:
- Touch VPN (NorthGhost)
The good aspect of all four services is that you can use their low-speed servers for free. Just in case you wish to move to the premium servers, simply subscribe, install the browser extension and click to unblock.
How to Watch Hotstar Outside India on PC
A reliable cheap VPN allows you to change your virtual location and unblock Hotstar from anywhere in the world. Using a VPN, you can also access the Google Play Store or Apple iTunes of different locations and download the Hotstar app.
To help you select a VPN for Hotstar, we compiled a list of some of the Fastest VPN services. All you need to do is to get any one of these VPN services and set your location to “India” from their respective app’s server selection.
Presto! You can now watch HotStar from anywhere!
Watch Latest Hotstar TV Shows/Series & Movies
Hotstar pulls content from the following television channels: Star Plus, Life O, Asianet, Vijay, Jalsha, Star World, Maa, Channel V, Pravah, Suvarna, Asianet Plus, Fox Life, Star Utsav, and National Geographic Channel. Below we list down the best TV shows and movies to watch on Hotstar:
Best Hotstar Movies
- RX 100
- Baaghi 2
- Judwaa 2
- Badhaai Ho
- Total Dhamaal
- The Great Veera
- Middle Class Abbayi
- The Return of Abhimanyu
- Avengers: Infinity War
Top Hotstar TV Shows
- Raja Rani
- Dance Champions
- Nimki Mukhiya
- Sarabhai vs Sarabhai
- Ye Hai Mohabbatein
- Kullfi Kumarr Bajewala
- Devon Ke Dev…Mahadev
- Kaal Bhairav Rahasya
- India’s Next Superstars
- Saath Nibhaana Saathiya
- Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
- Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?
- Tu Sooraj, Main Saanjh Piyaji
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to watch Hotstar in the USA without a VPN?
Hotstar has now launched its services in not just the United States, but also in Canada and in the UK. The primary reason for this is that the amount of Indian diaspora in these countries is large. And as of now, you can easily watch Hotstar in the USA without a VPN just by subscribing to the US version of Hotstar.
But there is an issue in doing that. Hotstar USA has a lot of content but not as much as the Indian version of Hotstar, and on top of that Hotstar USA’s subscription is more expensive than getting the subscription in India. So if you get a VPN and connect to an Indian server, not only can you watch more shows, movies and other kinds of content on Hotstar, you will also be paying a lesser price for the subscription.
The best way to pay for Hotstar India’s subscription is via the PayTM wallet app.
Nearly all VPNs that have Indian servers can be used to unblock Hotstar India as the site does not have a stringent ban on VPNs like the notorious Netflix VPN ban, but it would be great if you stick to our recommended top VPN choice because they are affordable and have the most reliable performance on all fronts with all types of client apps.
How Can I Watch Hotstar on my TV?
If you want to watch HotStar on TV, it is really not a difficult task. For instance, if you own a FireStick Amazon TV, all you have to do is get a subscription from HotStar by accessing their website. You will receive instant access to the complete catalog of movies and TV shows, which even include hits from Netflix. Of course, if you are located in a different country, you will have to connect to a VPN server in India to subscribe and gain access to the site’s content.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Hotstar?
HotStar app and website provides most of its content in High Definition and thus requires your VPN to at least offer decent bandwidth. While most premium VPN providers usually offer unlimited bandwidth, few free VPNs offer access to high-speed servers with no limitation on the amount of bandwidth that you can use.
The chances of finding VPN providers that offer servers in India is sleek anyway.
There are no providers that I found offering free VPN servers for India to unblock HotStar streaming. So the issue remains and you will eventually need a VPN service with servers in India to unblock the Hotstar app.
However, you can avail a risk-free trial period in all of our 3 recommended VPNs for Hotstar.
Surfshark has a 30 day free trial period, in which you can easily get your money back, so that’s great if you are a bit apprehensive of paying up front and not knowing what to expect. PureVPN offers a similar free trial period that lasts 31 days.
Same for ExpressVPN, but if you can wait till Black Friday i.e. November, ExpressVPN brings out a deal in which you can get 3 months of subscription free if you get its yearly deal.
How to Watch Hotstar on iPad & iPod
Hotstar has native apps available for all iOS devices, including the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. However, due to active geo-restrictions even if you download the app, you will not be able to stream anything or even sign up without a VPN.
Wrapping Things Up
Hotstar is a powerful service that can satisfy all you are cravings for entertainment. Offering popular TV shows from around the world, latest movies from Hollywood and Bollywood, and major sports events like Cricket, Football, Hockey, Tennis, Badminton, and other sports, the platform is simply amazing.
You can unblock Hotstar from anywhere using the VPN services we have listed above. Regardless, if you encounter any issues/problems, do not hesitate on commenting below. I will respond personally and try providing as much assistance as possible in helping you access all the content Hotstar has to offer!
Also, help a brother out by sharing this guide, if you find it useful. Thanks in advance and hope you guys have a wonderful day ahead. Follow us on Twitter and use the hashtag #BestVPN to tweet.