5 Best VPNs for France 2020: Secure Browsing + Streaming
Being part of the EU, France has one of the most robust data privacy regulations. These regulations ensure that users’ digital information and privacy are protected.
However, the legislation has loopholes that potentially allow the government to keep track of their citizens’ digital activities.
A VPN connection is the best option to have a 100% secure and safe internet connection that is free from any track.
List of The 5 Best France VPNs
- PureVPN: 42 Dedicated France Servers | Safety features at Just $2.91/mo .
- Surfshark: 3 Native Servers for France | Mask all their online activity at $1.99/mo .
- Ivacy VPN: 9 Servers in France | A real bargain at just $2.25/mo .
- ExpressVPN: 3 Servers for France | Best Price $8.32/mo .
- CyberGhost: 440 Dedicated French Servers | Best Price: $2.75/mo
Why Use a VPN in France?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) secures your internet connection, masks your digital identity and ensures that your browsing is not being tracked in any shape or form.
As France is a member of the meticulous 9 Eyes intelligence alliance, any user activity from inside the country can be monitored if any of the member states deem it necessary.
Not only does a VPN keep you safe from any form of surveillance, but it also gives you access to otherwise geo-restricted content from other countries, as well as giving you access to local content that might be unavailable to viewers outside France.
5 Best VPNs for France 2020
Here are 5 of the best France VPNs described on the basis of their pricing, servers, compatibility, encryption protocols, and the special features they offer.
1. PureVPN – Best VPN for France
PureVPN stands out as being the ideal combination of all essential VPN features while being easy on the wallet.
Operating out of Hong Kong, PureVPN allows users to make use of 14 dedicated French servers, allowing expats access to French content.
- 5 simultaneous connections.
- 30-Day money-back guarantee.
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu and Disney+
- The user interface needs to improve.
2. Surfshark – 3 Native Servers for France
Based in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark boasts 1040+ servers spread across 140+ countries. These include the 3 dedicated servers inside France ensuring that users can continue accessing their favorite shows on TV5 Monde, France24, and BFM TV.
- Support for unlimited devices.
- Compatibility for Mac, Android, and iOS.
- No-logs policy.
- Customer service needs to improve.
3. ExpressVPN – Fastest Service Provider in 2020
With its center of operations in the British Virgin Islands, users gain access to more than 3000 servers, located in 160 locations across 94 countries around the world. This includes 3 dedicated French servers inside France.
It offers support for 5-multiple logins while using the AES-256-CBC encryption. Additionally, OpenVPN UDP, OpenVPN TCP, L2TP/IPsec, IPsec, IKEv2, and PPTP protocols are supported adding to its overall security.
- 5 simultaneous connections.
- Network Lock (Best automated kill switch).
- Supports bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
- Most expensive VPN option.
4. Ivacy VPN – 3 Servers for France 2020
Operating out of Singapore, it has 1000+ servers in 100+ countries. Additionally, it has 2 dedicated French servers in case of users ever want to use them to access local French content.
Its highlight feature is the IvacyPrime app, a streamlined feature that gives your connection enough potency to bypass the Great Firewall of China.
- 2 Dedicated French servers.
- 5 simultaneous connections.
- IvacyPrime app for VoD unblocking.
- Tech support needs to improve.
5. CyberGhost – 440 Dedicated French Servers
Operating out of Romania, it unblocks and an incredible amount of online streaming platforms owing to its 6000+ servers in 90+ countries while ensuring you steer clear of any mass surveillance alliances.
It also has an incredible 440 dedicated French servers, so you never have to worry about accessing local geo-restricted French content.
Its stand-out features have to be the NoSpy data center (a dedicated server using dedicated uplink to strengthen the 256-bit encryption) and giving users access to Nvidia Shield TV and Firestick devices.
- 7 simultaneous connections.
- Supports Nvidia Shield TV and Firestick.
- NoSpy data center with dedicated uplink.
- Connections speeds can lag at times.
French Laws Dealing with Privacy
The main law that deals with online privacy in France are the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). However, the law allows all 50-member states to pass their own national laws with amendments suited to their national needs.
The French amended law is the LOI n° 2018-493 du 20 juin 2018 relative à la protection des données personnelles (French Data Protection Law for Protection of Citizens). It grants citizens the right to control who has access and oversight of their digital activity.
It also increases the power of the French Data Protection Authority’s powers in dealing with entities that violate the new regulations. However, it has a clause that allows the French government to subvert some provisions in the interest of national security if it deems it necessary.
Is your internet activity secure in France?
On paper, yes. French citizens will have to be notified by each website they visit about how much data is being logged and be given the choice to opt-out.
However, the Data Protection Act has a provision that gives the French government the authority to forego these requirements if it wants, without prior approval or notice.
Hence, users won’t know for a long period if they were indeed being spied on by the government.
This would make the use of VPNs necessary to ensure that there was no tracking of user activity online and maintain an anonymous and safe online connection.
How to Get a French IP Address
A good and reliable VPN service will likely give you the option to choose from thousands of servers located in hundreds of different countries, this should include France.
You may want a French IP address to access local content that may be geo-locked.
To get a French IP address, follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN service, the recommended choice is PureVPN.
- Download and install the PureVPN app on the device of your choice (you can use it on 5 different devices at once)
- Enter your login credentials and select a French server.
- Make that you’ve selected the appropriate mode i.e. Internet freedom.
- Once you’re connected, continue browsing and streaming all your favorite French content.
Best France VPN FAQs
Is VPN legal in France?
Yes, the use of a VPN is completely legal inside France. However, if you’re caught committing any form of digital crime i.e. hacking, fraud, online theft, or forgery with a VPN connection, it is still considered a crime punishable by law.
What’s the best free VPN in France?
There are hundreds of VPNs that offer free service.
However, with issues like speed throttling, high disconnection rates and most of all, no guarantees about keeping logs it is recommended that you opt for a paid service instead.
What’s the cheapest VPN for France?
Do I need a VPN to watch Netflix?
No, Netflix is easily accessible inside France. However, you’ll still need a VPN with dedicated servers if you want to access content that is geo-restricted on Netflix.
While the law protects the digital rights of French citizens, there is a fair amount of uncertainty about what information can be logged by the government and other members of the 9-Eyes alliance.
Using a VPN can solidify the security of your internet connection and keep your digital activity private. PureVPN would be the best option if you want to ensure complete online freedom for yourself in the country.
Surfshark is an alternative that can give you access to a host of important features, on a strict budget. Comment below to let us know of your experience with these VPN providers.