Top 10 REALLY Free VPNs for School in Australia (Updated in 2022)
To keep school devices and their students focused on studies, educational institutions ban a variety of websites. This can be annoying as it prevents students from gaining essential knowledge for learning new maths skills or conducting research on current topics.
If you find yourself in such a position, one of our top free VPN for schools in Australia recommendations can assist you in getting beyond the restriction.
A VPN can be very useful for evading web restrictions and ensuring security on untrusted networks, both of which are problems that many schools’ undergraduates must deal with. Many Institutional Organizations use firewall barriers to make sure that only secure or authorized resources are available.
In most cases, Free VPNs in Australia don’t offer security features like Military grade encryption, No-log Policy, or cutting-edge obfuscation technology. But premium VPNs include such features in Australia. That is why I advise using a high-end provider like ExpressVPN.
Along with outstanding security features, ExpressVPN can unblock streaming services in more than 140 different countries globally. You can purchase it without risk and ask for a refund within 30 days if you don’t like it.
Since students of school mostly have tight budgets, for that purpose, we also have made a list of top 10 REALLY free VPNs in Australia that work best for School by unblocking websites while keeping your identity hidden.
Quick Summary for the Best Free VPNs for School in Australia:
If you don’t have time to read the whole article, we have got you covered in this heading as we have listed down the top 10 best free VPN in Australia for school and summarized their qualities.
- ExpressVPN– ExpressVPN is a super fast VPN service provider with a well-established reputation for being obsessively committed to providing strong encryption and online anonymity. It also follows a strict No Logs policy. You can enjoy its services risk-free with a 30-day money-back policy.
- Windscribe– When transferring files to the cloud, stealth mode, and military-grade encryption keep you safe. It provides 10GB of free data per month, which is sufficient for 4 hours of HD streaming.
- ProtonVPN– Helps students to watch educational movies and documentaries by providing unlimited bandwidth.
- Hide.me– Keeps student surfing history and Skype conversations entirely encrypted.
- Hotspot Shield– This VPN enables students to easily enjoy streaming documentaries or history movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and other services in class.
- OperaVPN– The VPN service from Opera offers Free Unlimited Data, and it is totally secured in terms of security and privacy. You can bypass the school restrictions and keep your identity hidden at the same time.
- TunnelBear-User-friendly Free School VPN from TunnelBear. Gives the student easy access to unblock restricted sites with one-click connectivity so they may connect and get the information they have been searching for.
- Speedify– It offers 2GB of free data for a month, and it’s famous for making streaming and unblocking restricted websites exceedingly seamless and effective.
- Betternet– With Betternet, you can receive 500MB of data Free each day.
- PrivateVPN– Through its 7-day free trial, you may test out all of its features with free unlimited data and bandwidth.
In a hurry? Get to know How to Use a VPN on the School Computer.
In-Depth Analysis- The Best Free VPNs for School in Australia 2022
Finding out free VPNs in Australia that work on school computers is not an easy task as not all free services offer speed, servers, security, free data, and unblocking ability altogether. But we have conducted thorough research to identify the top free VPNs for schools in Australia that will help students in bypassing restrictions and access websites blocked by institutions or other website owners.
ExpressVPN -The Best VPN for School
- 3,000 worldwide servers to easily get around geo-blocks
- Connect your school devices with MediaStreamer.
- 256-bit encryption to fully protect your data.
- Blazingly fast speeds for buffer-free video streaming.
- 30-Day money-back offer
- 5 Multi-logins
- Unblocks many OTT services, such as Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, and iPlayer.
- Compatible with a number of devices, including routers, Apple TV, iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac.
ExpressVPN provides quick, dependable service with top-notch security features. You may quickly unblock content for studies, international streaming libraries, or news websites from anywhere because of its 3,000 global server locations spread over 94 countries.
Since ExpressVPN supports torrenting, I made sure it had all the security tools required for secure P2P file-sharing. There are no threats to your data or privacy thanks to features like 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy.
It is among the simplest VPNs to use across all platforms, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Disney+. It is compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, and it allows you to connect up to five devices at the same time.
You may test out ExpressVPN risk-free and get a full refund if you don’t like it, thanks to its 30-day money-back promise. In order to verify this assurance, on day 30, I requested a refund. I corresponded with a helpful representative via email, and the money returned to my account in under a couple of days.
For more information about this service, read our ExpressVPN Review.
Pros and Cons:
- 5 simultaneous connections.
- Free trial for Android and iOS devices.
- Buffer free streaming.
- Media Streamer
- App for Routers
- Transparent no Log policy.
- 30-day Money return Policy
- Expensive VPN for students
- 10GB of monthly free data.
- Leak prevention against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS.
- Most servers support torrenting.
- Military-grade encryption and perfect forward secrecy.
- Stealth mode to mask your online identity
- Unblocks YouTube, Hulu, US Netflix, Kodi, and other services.
- Compatible with Routers, Amazon Fire TV, Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and browsers (Opera, Firefox, and Chrome).
The best free VPN for schools in Australia is Windscribe. It offers exceptional tools to get over geo-restrictions, quick speeds, and a data cap of 10GB/mo. This data allowance is enough for social media browsing, email checking, and watching HD streaming videos for 3 hours.
Furthermore, if you post about Windscribe on Twitter, you could get 5 GB of additional bandwidth.
The free edition of Windscribe features 10 different server locations. These servers enable P2P connections and offer stable speeds.
You can get around geo-blocking even in the most restricted regions of the world with Windscribe’s Stealth mode. Your location and data are protected by perfect forward secrecy, which frequently changes the encryption keys. Windscribe defends you with features such as IPv6/DNS/WebRTC leak prevention and a kill switch.
Read out our Windscribe review for more information.
Pros and Cons:
- Servers in 10 different countries.
- 10 GB of data per month with 5 GB when you tweet about Windscribe
- Countless multiple logins
- high speeds
- Limited servers
- Speed issues
- The free plan includes unlimited data and bandwidth.
- Supports P2P and double VPN.
- Automated Kill switch
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Has servers in 3 countries (the US, Netherlands, and Japan
- Compatible with: YouTube, Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, and more
- Works with iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and macOS.
ProtonVPN is a free VPN for school in Australia Wi-Fi that provides Unlimited data and bandwidth. It has access to 3 servers, including The US, Japan, and the Netherlands. So students from anywhere can unblock most of the US-based streaming platforms with ease.
You can always be protected thanks to ProtonVPN’s auto-connect option. It also offers IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols, which is an astonishing feature for a free VPN to build secure tunnels for your data.
To help you keep your data private, ProtonVPN provides standard security features such as IPv6/DNS leak prevention and a kill switch. Additionally, it supports the usage of a double VPN, allowing you to double-encrypt your data for ultimate security. Your data is almost impenetrable because ProtonVPN already provides AES 256-bit military-grade encryption.
With Unlimited data and speed, you can enjoy flawless streaming of your favorite content on Netflix and YouTube. Unfortunately, you can only have one device connection, so it’s better to install the app on the most used device in the school.
Pros and Cons:
- Free Unlimited Data
- Strong security features.
- IPv6 and DNS leak prevention.
- Zero multiple logins.
- Sometimes free servers are not accessible
- Does not support torrenting.
- No ad-blocker software.
- 10GB of free data each month.
- Over 150 locations in 34+ countries.
- Allows features like Port forwarding and split tunneling.
- Integrated firewall and automated kill switch.
- Access to five servers.
- Works with: YouTube, Spotify, HBO GO, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and others
- Supported devices are Windows, Linux macOS, ChromeOS, iOS, Firefox, Chrome, Routers, Android devices, and Amazon Fire TV
Hide.Me is another free VPN for school in Australia that is reliable & secure. It provides 10GB of free data each month, which is sufficient to Spotify around 200 songs, download regular assignments, and upload them. The main drawback is that you can only access five servers, which are distributed between Canada and the Netherlands.
Just a few of the usual security features that hide.me provides include a firewall, automated kill switch protection, and DNS leak protection. Split tunneling and port forwarding are also supported. Split tunneling allows you to specify which apps are allowed to bypass the VPN. It protects against DNS leaks, ensuring that your actual IP address is not disclosed to your school while circumventing firewalls.
In order to have more control over your settings, port forwarding enables you to establish preferences for your servers and devices.
With only 10GB of bandwidth, you can watch hours of SD video on its free version, but it only supports one device connection at a time. Additionally, it doesn’t limit connection speeds, making it suitable for torrenting.
In terms of customer support, Hide.Me offers a thorough FAQ area and round-the-clock live chat assistance.
Pros and Cons:
- 10 GB free data monthly.
- Available in 5 locations
- P2P enabled and SOCKS5 proxy.
- Live chat available
- App crashes suddenly
- Unstable kill switch.
5. Hotspot Shield
- 500MB of daily free data
- Only accessible to a US server.
- Use its Catapult Hydra protocol to boost overall performance,
- 24/7 live assistance.
- Works with: Spotify, HBO Max, Hulu, DAZN, Showtime, and YouTube.
- Compatible with the following operating systems: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Chromebook.
For watching Netflix over lunch, students can use Hotspot Shield, a free VPN service for school in Australia. When trying to access US streaming sites like US Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and others, this VPN is a great option for getting over geo-restrictions.
Users of Hotspot Shield get 500 MB of data each day. Although it only has one server location—the United States—it is still a respectable choice for unblocking US websites.
You can download your preferred open-source music and videos with Hotspot Shield, which also enables P2P file-sharing activities like torrenting. Although the free edition is ad-supported, neither speed nor usability is compromised.
Hotspot Shield uses Perfect Forward Secrecy and AES 256-bit encryption to secure user data. A kill switch is also included, although it’s only accessible on the chrome browser.
Hotspot Shield uses a particular encryption technique called Catapult Hydra that offers users excellent performance and quick speeds. In addition, a search option and online chat support are available live or via email.
Pros and Cons:
- Offers a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Allows access to US streaming services.
- Live chat assistance.
- Earn by playing many ads on its free version.
- 1 device connection only.
- Unlimited data is available through a free browser-based VPN.
- The battery saver option is useful for digital devices.
- Supported Android’s Opera, OperaMini, and OperaGX.
- You can enable the Auto-update feature.
- Simple privacy and logging policies.
- Compatible with Kodi, Pandora, YouTube, and Spotify.
- Compatible with: Android, Windows, Linux, and macOS.
You cannot use OperaVPN for programs other than Opera since it is a built-in function of the Opera browsers. It’s worth taking a look at even though you have to download its browser in order to use it because it has strong security measures and doesn’t have data or bandwidth restrictions. OperaVPN is supported by both the Opera and OperaGX browsers.
The automatic update option in OperaVPN updates Opera with the most recent security updates and configurations. Additionally, it uses AES encryption technology to protect your data when it is transferred over open networks.
Pros and Cons:
- Unlimited data
- Update automatically.
- No-log policy
- Battery Saver feature
- Can not unblock Netflix
- High latency issues.
- Free monthly data of 500MB
- GhostBear and Vigilant modes are always available.
- Provides free ad blocking software.
- Use the closest tunnel option for
- Works with Kodi, HBO GO, and YouTube.
- Compatible with Linux, Windows, Raspberry PI, Mac OS, Chrome OS, iOS, Android, Nvidia Shield, and browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera).
TunnelBear is one of the top free and user-friendly VPNs for students in Australia. It offers easy-to-use apps for many devices, such as smartphones, desktop PCs, and web browsers. TunnelBear’s free VPN offers high-level security features. Every month, you are given 500MB of free data. If you’re in too much need of bandwidth, you can tweet about TunnelBear to receive 1 GB extra.
it has several security features, like GhostBear, which masks your VPN traffic as regular web traffic to get around VPN restrictions at schools, tunnelBear is safe to use. Vigilant Bear, a kill switch, and 256-bit encryption are also included for data security. Its auto enables mode activates your VPN as soon as your device is turned on.
For customer support, you must first log in to their website in order to chat with a representative.
To find out more about this service, see our TunnelBear review.
Pros and Cons:
- 5 Multi logins
- Monthly free data of 500MB.
- Vigilant bear kill switch
- Ghost Bear No log policy.
- Only 500 GB of data per month.
- Not compatible with Netflix streaming.
- 2GB of monthly free data
- Based on 128-GCM encryption
- All of its servers are accessible.
- IPv6/DNS leak Prevention and a No-log Policy.
- Efficient FAQ support.
- Works with: YouTube, Hulu, Netflix US, and BBC iPlayer.
- Compatible with: iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Use Speedify’s free service to do all-day internet research or watch roughly two hours of SD video. You are granted complete access to all 56 server locations across 37 countries as well as 2GB of free data each month.
While its 128-GCM-based AES encryption is not as robust as 256-bit AES encryption solutions, it is still sufficient to prevent scammers from obtaining critical data. Additionally, Speedify offers a rigorous no-logs policy and DNS leak protection.
Although Speedify enables channel bonding to speed up torrenting and streaming, I wouldn’t suggest using it with the free version. Compared to standard streaming, channel bonding can consume roughly twice as much bandwidth. Although Speedify has specialized P2P servers, it does not support torrenting.
Learn more about it by reading the Speedify review.
Pros and Cons
- 2GB/month data for free.
- No log policy
- Leak prevention
- P2p servers
- Unblocks streaming sites like Netflix
- Not AES encrypted
- Not support torrenting
- Get 500MB of free Data per day
- One US server is available.
- Military-grade encryption and no logs
- Good speed.
- Catapult Hydra protocol.
- Compatible with YouTube and Kodi.
- Supported devices include macOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Chromebook.
On Betternet’s free plan, you enjoy 500MB of data each day. There is only one US server that you can use. It still serves as a reliable VPN supplier for US students despite its limited server availability.
With betternet, you have the option of using two strong encryption levels either military-grade AES 256-bit encryption for unsecured networks or 128-bit encryption for trustworthy networks. The same protocol that Hotspot Shield employs, Catapult Hydra secure, betternet also uses it.
You won’t have to worry about burning up all of your data on an hour of SD video because your data resets every day. You’ll be able to download files and stream videos. Additionally, Betternet’s US server is blazingly fast, so you can complete all of your tasks without buffering or lengthy load times.
If you require additional details prior to selecting Betternet, you may discover all the information you require in our comprehensive Betternet review.
Pros and Cons:
- 128-bit encryption
- 256-bit encryption
- Catapult Hydra protocol
- Smooth SD video streaming
- Can’t Unblock Netflix
- Limited servers access
- Offers a Free 7-day trial.
- Unlimited bandwidth and data
- 200 servers across 63 nations
- Available Protocols are L2TP, PPTP, IKEv2, and OpenVPN.
- Developers of apps provide their assistance.
- Work with: Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Compatible with the following OS and devices: Chrome OS, Linux, macOS, Windows, Blackberry, Android, iOS, Browsers( Safari, Firefox, Chrome), routers, Playstation, Xbox, Roku, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, and the majority of smart TVs.
The second premium supplier on my list is PrivateVPN. Through a 7-day free trial, you may test out all of its features with unlimited bandwidth and data.
There are several protocols available to safeguard the integrity of your data as it moves through network connections, including OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP. Sweden-based PrivateVPN never stores traffic logs or any other personally identifiable data. Your information is also secured by the country’s strict privacy laws.
With blazing-fast speeds and unlimited internet data, you can unblock streaming platforms like Netflix US and BBC iPlayer for a flawless streaming experience plus, with unlimited data, you can binge-watch an entire season in just a day.
Pros and Cons:
- Simple app installation for mobile and desktop.
- 10 connections at once
- Outstanding speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
- Strong encryption: AES-256/2048-bit encryption.
- Virtual remote assistance.
- Kill switch feature for Windows only.
How to Use a VPN on the School Computer in Australia?
By following the steps below, you will be using a VPN on the school computer in no time.
- Choose a VPN provider from the list of 10. We recommend you to use ExpressVPN if you want all the quality features in one VPN. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download and install the VPN app on your PC. (Since it is doubtful that any of the VPN sites will be accessible in schools, you will need to complete this part at home)
- Open the VPN application and select a local server.
- Once you click Connect, you will be able to access blocked websites on the school’s wifi.
- Check by visiting the blocked websites.
Helpful Reminder: In case of having issues with unblocking websites, try to clear your school’s browser’s Cache and Cookies. If the problem is not resolved, get help from their customer support.
Methods to Find the Free VPNs for School in Australia
There are so many VPNs available for free in Australia. However, only a few can be counted on to access restricted websites and services while also keeping you safe online.
To list the top 10 free VPNs for schools, we established criteria based on servers, speed performance, bypassing abilities, security, and more. Here are the details of these methods of how we evaluated each VPN to determine which was the best free VPN for schools in Australia:
1. Unblocking Ability
When ranking these VPNs, the primary consideration was whether or not they properly unblock services that are prohibited. This guide’s main goal is to help students pass school-imposed restrictions. Thus, we can’t avoid talking about it.
We put the free VPNs to the test by using them to access social media applications and several research websites in locations where firewalls prevented us from doing so. Once we connected to a VPN, each of the VPNs on the above-mentioned list made it simple for us to access websites and social media apps.
. Security Feature
Before connecting to any random VPN, keep the phishing scams and malware attacks in mind. Make sure to choose the VPN from the above list that offers a kill switch and DNS leak protection to keep your data encrypted and protected from such security dangers.
3. Privacy Protocols
A VPN is an excellent option to keep your online activity private. Unfortunately, some unreliable VPNs record browsing history and sell it to outside parties. You’ll need a VPN with a tight no-logs policy if you want to browse anonymously.
4. Server Speed
Downloading or streaming anything at school asks for a high-speed connection. Without that, downloads would take too long, and streaming videos would be low quality and buffer a lot. So, In terms of finding the speedy VPNs, we made sure that each one has unlimited bandwidth.
5. Device Compatability
It is necessary to check the compatibility of a VPN before installing it on your device. All the VPNs we have mentioned have great compatibility with all types of devices and operating systems, so you can easily download their apps on Windows, mobile services, or add extensions to your browsers.
It is understandable that a student may have a tight budget. Because of this, it’s crucial that a VPN offers reasonable options or a free trial for both long-term and short-term subscriptions and offers a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days in Australia. Also, keep in mind that you can save a little more money by using our VPN limited-time deals.
Why Do You Need to use a VPN for School in Australia?
In order to get around web restrictions and provide security on insecure networks, using a VPN in Australia will be an excellent option for students to access research sites at school.
The security that a VPN provides is its key advantage. You don’t have to be concerned about possibly unsafe public Wi-Fi or network limits at school when your data is encrypted. Your personal information and online activity will be safe and anonymous even if the router security at your education institution is weak.
Several universities use firewalls to ensure that only permitted, and authorized sites are accessible.
Consider a situation in which you need to search a website immediately before a test, but you are unable to do so because the school has blocked access. Wouldn’t you desire something that could instantly lift this restriction?
A VPN would handle this for you. With the help of a trusted VPN for school computers and WiFi, you can effortlessly access your selected websites by changing your IP address to one that is accessible in the city or country of your choice. Additionally, it will provide you with a quick connection and get around ISP throttling.
Why are Free VPNs for Schools Risky to Use in Australia?
The risks involved in using free VPNs for school in Australia are their slow speeds, limited bandwidth, and small servers. Even though we have mentioned free VPNs but we do not recommend you to use any free VPN services that appear when you search in your app store or web browser. We are aware that free VPNs attract, especially if you are on a tight budget, but they frequently do more damage in the long run.
You’ll also run into issues like infecting your computer with malware, placing tracking cookies, or losing your data.
In order to avoid these issues, we recommend students to use a VPN like ExpressVPN that offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and access the websites without any risk.
FAQs – Best Free VPNs For School in Australia
Can you use a Free VPN on school computer in Australia?
Yes, you can use a free VPN on a school computer by installing the VPN app because educational institutions usually block access to VPN sites. You can open the app and connect to a server that can give you the IP address which is needed for unblocking that specific website.
Can you get in trouble for using a Free VPN at school in Australia?
No, although it is against the school’s law. But if it is for educational purposes, then using a free VPN to make any research or download files will be fine.
Why do schools ban Free VPNs in Australia?
There are multiple reasons why school bans the use f free VPNs. The most common reasons are their lack of privacy, slow connections, limited bandwidth, and chances of cyber attack.
Does a Free VPN hide search history from school Wi-Fi in Australia?
No, a free VPN in Australia will not hide your search history. You have to remove it by yourself. A free VPN encrypts your internet traffic and sends it through a secure VPN tunnel so the school authorities and hackers cannot access your internet data and browsing activity, it also alters your IP address, which increases your online anonymity.
Although the free VPNs on this list are secure to use for academic purposes, the majority still impose severe limitations on data, servers, and features. Because they lack high-end security features, the majority of free VPNs for school in Australia aren’t safe enough to be using with the school’s WiFi.
To privately share files with colleagues, professors, and study groups, you’ll need a premium VPN like ExpressVPN, which has the cutting-edge security features you need. Additionally, you have access to all of its servers, limitless data and bandwidth, and the ability to circumvent geoblocking.
You can try ExpressVPN risk-free and request a refund within 30 days if you’re not satisfied with the service because it is also supported by a money-back guarantee.