NordVPN Linux: How to Install NordVPN on Linux In UK 2022 [Easy Steps]
From price and privacy to server locations and compatibility with your operating systems, there are many factors to consider while selecting a VPN for using on Linux in UK. As NordVPN checks off each requirement, find out the complete installation guide here.
Finding a VPN can be tricky that’s why I have tested all the features to put forth a comprehensive NordVPN Linux review in UK. NordVPN is backed by many advanced features.
Read on to find out how to install NordVPN on Linux in UK, useful commands, and whether you need a Linux VPN or not!
NordVPN Linux: Does NordVPN Run on Linux in UK?
Yes, NordVPN efficiently runs on Linux in UK. In fact, the native NordVPN app is recommended to connect to a NordVPN Linux server list on your device. Linux users can access advanced features such as auto-connect, Threat Protection, and a reliable kill switch.
Where most VPNs support the OpenVPN protocol – leaving heavy work for the end user to configure the VPN and download the configuration files, NordVPN offers client applications. Its Linux client is available in RPM and DEB packages, which is compatible with the following in UK:
- Linux Mint
- Elementary OS
Safe to say, NordVPN should easily work on most Linux systems making it one of the best Linux VPNs.
Are there any Further Commands for Using NordVPN on Linux in UK?
Yes, there are many NordVPN Linux commands that can be used with NordVPN in the terminal.
Why Should I Use NordVPN for Linux in UK?
You should use NordVPN for Linux as it offers a dedicated Linux app, ultra-fast VPN servers, and DNS/IP leak protection in UK.
The NordVPN Linux app comes integrated with the same advanced features available on its Windows and Mac counterparts. You have DNS Leak Protection available, which helps in keeping your identity hidden at all times bypassing all network traffic through a secure and encrypted VPN tunnel. CyberSec protocol offers instant blocking of intrusive ads while protecting you from malicious online threats in UK.
In circumstances, your VPN connection stops working or drops, there is an Automatic Kill Switch feature available that will block your computer from establishing a connection, outside the encrypted VPN tunnel. In addition to this, NordVPN offers obfuscated servers that let you bypass firewalls and algorithms in countries with internet restrictions like China and UAE.
Do You Really Need a NordVPN for Linux in UK?
Yes, you need NordVPN for Linux to be truly secure while using the internet in UK.
When it comes to subscribing to a VPN, you need to have the relevant software app for the device you use. This is not because you require a VPN for Linux, but due to the need of acquiring privacy/anonymity online in UK.
Nevertheless, users can feel assured that NordVPN covers all aspects of ultimate security online for Linux. Based in Panama, NordVPN is also away from jurisdictions like the EU and US, which have mandatory laws requiring log collections. Other reasons why you may require NordVPN for Linux include:
- Accessing Geo-Restricted Content: VoD services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime impose geographical restrictions, which prevent users outside the approved list of countries to access the complete database of content. By using NordVPN on your Linux devices, you can easily unblock all geo-restricted content by connecting to servers in countries, where the VoD service is accessible.
- Protection from Local ISPs: When it comes to watching movies/TV shows online, most users opt to pay for a premium service. However, there are some cord-cutters who rely on free services for streaming their favorite content. Since pirated content can get you in serious trouble with the DMCA, using VPNs ensures your internet activity remains completely hidden from your local ISPs.
- Security on Public Wi-Fi: Phishing, identity theft, ransomware, and cyberstalking are some serious cybersecurity threats associated with public Wi-Fi networks in pubs, bars, restaurants, etc. Cybercriminals trick users into revealing their private information. By connecting to a VPN, you can keep them confused, as your identity will remain hidden, along with your IP address.
- Engage in P2P/Torrenting: Whether you want to download movies, TV shows, eBooks, manga, music, documents, albums, or any other form of digital data, NordVPN torrenting undoubtedly proves to be the top choice for many computer geeks. As tempting as free torrenting VPNs may be, it’s advisable to use a premium VPN service like NordVPN.
- Bypass Throttling Restrictions: With the repealing of Net Neutrality laws, ISPs now have complete power over what information users can access, based on different pricing plans. By using a service like NordVPN, you can feel assured to bypass all such restrictions, which means you receive better speed for streaming, torrenting, or engaging in online gaming.
NordVPN is a famous choice on brutally-honest platforms like Reddit, thus it’s often ranked under best Reddit VPNs getting unbiased reviews about the NordVPN Linux application.
NordVPN Linux in UK: FAQs
How can I connect to a VPN on Linux over Network Manager in UK?
Follow these simple steps to connect to NordVPN on Linux over Network Manager:
- Open Terminal by pressing the Ctrl, Alt and T keys on your keyboard.
- Install network-manager-openvpn by typing the following commands in the Terminal.
- You might be requested to enter your user password to confirm your identity
- Type Y and press Enter.
- Once the installation is complete, restart Network Manager by typing the command.
- After following through with the installation, go to nordvpn.com/servers and scroll down to the Server recommender section.
- Click Show available protocols under the suggested server.
- In the options that show up, click Download config next to OpenVPN TCP and OpenVPN UDP.
- Make sure to note the location of the folder you will be saving them in.
- Now, click on the double arrow button at the top-right of the screen and then select Edit Connections > Add.
- Choose a connection type > Select Import a saved VPN configuration > Create.
- Navigate to the folder where you have saved the configuration files and select the file > Open.
- Enter your NordVPN username and password in the window that pops up.
- Press Save and close all of the open windows.
- Now, click on the double arrow button at the top right of the screen and select the VPN connections from the drop-down menu.
- Select the server that you have set up and click on it to be connected.
Is there any free VPN for Linux in UK?
ProtonVPN is a 100% free VPN for Linux in UK which offers a graphical interface. However, it’s not recommended to use a free VPN because it risks your online anonymity.
Does Linux OS distribution matter for connecting to NordVPN in UK?
Yes, Linux OS distribution matters for connecting to NordVPN. Except for TailOS, TempleOS, and Arch, Nord VPN supports all Linux distributions.
Does Linux have an in-built VPN in UK?
No, Linux does not have an in-built VPN in UK. Mostly distributions are compatible with tunneling protocols such as OpenVPN, WireGuard, pr IPSec. But you’ll still need to connect to a server to benefit from them.
How do I change NordVPN protocol in Linux?
You can change NordVPN protocol in Linux by following these steps:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open the Terminal.
- Type nordvpn set protocol tcp (for OpenVPN TCP) or nordvpn set protocol udp (for OpenVPN UDP).
NordVPN Linux in UK: Wrapping Things Up
NordVPN Linux is an excellent combination in UK. It’s recommended if you are looking for a secure, fast, and reliable VPN service for Linux. NordVPN Linux GUI adds to its premium features as a VPN. Additionally, the robust security features ensure maximum online privacy and security in UK.
When it comes to performance with Linux, only ExpressVPN comes close to NordVPN. If you’re interested, check out an in-depth NordVPN vs ExpressVPN review!