Free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand in 2023
A free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand might get the job done if you want to access YouTube videos abroad or keep your streaming activities private.
YouTube is a free video-sharing platform famed for its user-generated content and commercial videos. It is a user-preferred choice to watch music videos, how-to guides, quick hacks, comedy shows, and more. Users can like, comment, share and subscribe to their favorite content and watch it on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and smart TVs.
Sadly, YouTube content is censored in some countries like China. Pakistan, Syria, Iran, and several other countries have a history of blocking YouTube in their countries. Beyond that, even some YouTubers restrict their content to specific territories. For instance, a UK-based vlogger can opt to make their videos available in UK only. In such cases, you’ll need the best free YouTube VPN.
Free VPNs come with drawbacks such as compromised privacy and slow connection speeds. That’s why it is better to subscribe to a low-cost, reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN for streaming YouTube at fast connection speeds.
After testing 25+ free VPNs on compatibility, speed, and security – we have found six free VPNs for streaming YouTube in New Zealand in 2023. Let’s dive in!
6 Best Free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand: Quick Overview
You will find a detailed analysis of every VPN below, but here’s a rundown of the best free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand if you are short on time.
- ExpressVPN: 30-Day Refund and 7-Day Free Trial for Super-Fast Streaming
- NordVPN: YouTube VPN with 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Surfshark: Budget-Friendly YouTube VPN with Free 30-Day Access
- CyberGhost: 24-Hour Free Access for Watching YouTube Content
- IPVanish: Unlimited Data for Free Buffer-Free YouTube Streaming
- Atlas VPN: Free YouTube VPN with 10GB Data Limit
The 6 Best Free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand: Detailed Analysis
After testing 25+ free VPN services, we have found the 6 best free VPNs for YouTube in New Zealand. Although not completely free, you are still granted risk-free access to YouTube via the listed VPNs.
Out of these 6 free VPNs, ExpressVPN is our top recommendation for YouTube because of its 30-day money-back guarantee and unmatched connection speeds.
1. ExpressVPN: 30-Day Refund and 7-Day Free Trial for Super-Fast Streaming
With a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 7-day free trial (for Android and iOS subscribers), ExpressVPN is worth considering for incredibly-fast streaming on YouTube even after not being a free VPN.
Besides the 100% refund policy and a free trial, ExpressVPN displays unmatched unblocking potential. During our tests, we instantly accessed YouTube on our first attempt. The best bit is that they have over 3000+ servers in 94+ countries, so you can unblock YouTube and all the major streaming platforms easily.
ExpressVPN comes with unlimited bandwidth and data, so you do not have to fret over data usage while watching a recipe video or even a nail-biting thriller. The MediaStreamer DNS feature remains an excellent feature for streaming YouTube on VPN-incompatible devices without hassle.
The ExpressVPN speed test in New Zealand revealed that this VPN is surely the best to stream content on YouTube. In our tests, we received a consistent connection speed and watched 4K quality videos without any interruptions.
Safe to say, ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we have tested to date. The connection drops are nearly negligible whether you connect to a local server or a distant one. Next to YouTube, we instantly unblocked Disney Plus in New Zealand and Netflix in New Zealand within seconds. The incredible download speeds let us catch up on our favorite series without the annoying buffer.
Besides the exceptional speeds, ExpressVPN comes packed with military-grade AES-256 encryption and an automatic kill switch to keep your sensitive data safe. More than that, there is a split tunneling feature that lets you sort between apps that receive VPN protection and which do not.
ExpressVPN has passed a third-party audit and is strictly privacy-focused, so its privacy cannot be questioned. Above all else, ExpressVPN is compatible with all devices and major operating systems. It also offers dedicated apps for iOS, Android in New Zealand, Windows, Linux, Kindle, and routers in New Zealand.
If you use YouTube on browsers, then the ExpressVN browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge will give you more control.
ExpressVPN comes at NZD 0 /mo (US$ /mo ) , but you can choose to utilize its 30-day money-back policy. Customer support remains highly responsive during peak and off-peak times, so you can request a refund within 30 days. This lets you watch YouTube with ExpressVPN absolutely risk-free! Moreover, not only is ExpressVPN a great VPN for youtube in New Zealand, but it is also an exceptional free VPN for ps4/ps5 in New Zealand.
For users seeking a Free VPN for hayu in New Zealand, Free VPN for Poland For Kiwi Users , Free VPN for Pakistan For Kiwi Users , free VPN for Peacock TV in New Zealand, ExpressVPN’s reliable performance and diverse server options make it an excellent choice.
Read our ExpressVPN review in New Zealand!
- 4K capable streaming-optimized servers
- Top-notch security and privacy features
- Effortlessly unblocks Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu
- Reliable real-time customer support
- Dedicated apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Kindle, and routers
- Slightly pricier than other VPN services
2. NordVPN: YouTube VPN with 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
NordVPN is another reliable VPN for YouTube in New Zealand that comes with 30-day risk-free access. Even though NordVPN is not as fast as ExpressVPN, you can still enjoy a lag-free experience on YouTube.
When it comes to unblocking geo-restricted sites, NordVPN delivers extremely-fast speeds. To top it all, the global server coverage of 5600 servers in 59 countries adds to its reliability for unblocking almost all the geo-blocked sites worldwide. Next to YouTube TV, we unblocked android tv in New Zealand , Hulu in New Zealand, Netflix in New Zealand, and Disney Plus in New Zealand!
Several speed tests in New Zealand later, we concluded that NordVPN stands second in terms of streaming speed. The time to connect to a NordVPN server is slightly longer than ExpressVPN’s, so getting free YouTube unblocked took a bit longer.
Other than this, we recorded a consistent connection across all servers and accessed YouTube without interruption.
NordVPN takes the trophy home regarding security and priva
cy, which is extremely important while unblocking YouTube in China or North Korea. You cannot risk losing your identity in such countries, and NordVPN’s features like double VPN and Onion over VPN maintain your online anonymity.
You can anonymously watch YouTube without worrying about unwanted surveillance as your activities cannot be tracked back to you. NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy and other advanced security features like an efficient kill switch. However, it comes at a price of NZD 6.62 /mo (US$ 3.99 /mo ) (Get 57% Off + 3 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).
If you do not have the budget to pay, then we recommend using its 30-day money-back policy. You can cancel NordVPN subscription in New Zealand within 30 days and request a refund.
Read our NordVPN review in New Zealand!
- Flawlessly unblocks geo-restricted services
- Advanced security features
- Apps for iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Knowledge of support team reps varies
3. Surfshark: Budget-Friendly YouTube VPN with Free 30-Day Access
Despite being fairly new, Surfshark is an affordable VPN for YouTube that grants you free 30-day access to all its premium features. Surfshark is only priced at a minimal cost of NZD 4.13 /mo (US$ 2.49 /mo ) (Get 84% + 2 Months FREE on 2-Year Plan).
As compared to ExpressVPN and NordVPN, Surfshark has a smaller server network. You can access the blocked YouTube content by connecting to its server network of 3200 servers in 65 countries. The limited server network does not hold Surfshark back, and you can easily access YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
In addition to the unblocking potential, Surfshark did not disappoint in the speed tests. It maintained the same download speeds as an unprotected connection and let us stream YouTube in high resolution. We observed that the speeds did not decrease with the increasing server distance.
Surfshark is the best VPN for huge households because it allows unlimited simultaneous device connections. You can protect as many devices as you want on a single Surfshark subscription without compromising the connection speed. This means all your family members can enjoy YouTube videos on their own devices at the same time.
We recommend subscribing to an extended Surfshark plan for even better discounts. But with the Surfshark money-back guarantee, you don’t really have to worry about subscription plans.
Read our Surfshark review in New Zealand!
- Pro privacy stance
- Sufficient connection speeds for HD streaming
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- Does not log user data
- Comparatively small server network
- Slow connection speed on some servers
4. CyberGhost: 24-Hour Free Access to Optimized YouTube Streaming Servers
CyberGhost is an excellent VPN for watching free YouTube videos, all thanks to its optimized servers for streaming and 24-hour free access. You don’t even have to enter credit card details.
With over 6000+ in 88 countries, CyberGhost ensures a buffer-free access to blocked YouTube content. CyberGhost is also backed with unlimited data and bandwidth that lets you binge-watch shows or listen to music without fearing being cut off in between.
Besides the regular servers on CyberGhost, you can enjoy streaming YouTube at fast speeds. We did not have to wait for the video to load during our tests.
The streaming-optimized servers maintained great consistency, which was unachievable on the regular servers. Even while unblocking other streaming platforms, we had a smooth experience on Netflix in New Zealand.
CyberGhost is priced NZD 3.8 /mo (US$ 2.29 /mo ) 79% Discount and comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. If you are unhappy with the VPN, you can simply request a refund within 45 days and get the money back.
Read our CyberGhost review in New Zealand!
- Unblocks YouTube and other streaming platforms
- Strict no-logs policy
- Focused on privacy
- 7 simultaneous device connections
- Lacks customizable features
- Fails to work in China
5. IPVanish: Unlimited Data for Buffer-Free YouTube Streaming
IPVanish offers unlimited data for buffer-free streaming on YouTube in New Zealand for free 30 days upon signing up for their yearly or 2-year plan on the website.
Boasting a server network of 2000+ servers in 75 countries, IPVanish is quick to offer stable connection speeds to its subscribers. You can quickly connect to a preferred server location and get access to a secure connection with IPVanish.
In terms of security, IPVansih does not disappoint either. It utilizes government-grade encryption and does not log user data, so you can connect to IPVanish without risking your online anonymity.
Above all else, you can expect to watch YouTube with minimal connection drops and buffering. In our IPVanish speed tests, we recorded the following connection speeds.
More than this, IPVanish offers dedicated apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. All the apps share a simple app interface that is great for beginners. On a single IPVanish, you can protect unlimited devices at the same time. To get started, you can simply claim your 30-day free access in New Zealand.
- Offers 4K streaming speeds
- Strong encryption standards
- Remote-friendly apps
- Not reliable for unblocking Hulu and Netflix
6. Atlas VPN: Free YouTube VPN in New Zealand with 10GB Data Limit
Atlas VPN is the best free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand that comes with a generous 10GB of free data. Although it is not the safest bet to stream large media files on YouTube with Atlas VPN Free – it is still a great starting point.
You get reliable access to several geo-restricted streaming services, including YouTube. However the free server locations are limited to 3 safe locations: Singapore, the United States, and the Netherlands. The free version does not consistently and reliably unblocked Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
During our tests, we received decent connection speeds and they could easily handle streaming video content on YouTube. However, the data cap constantly reminded us of the limited free access.
Besides being fast, Atlas VPN is well-encrypted with military-grade 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. The strict no-logs policy also backs up Atlas VPN’s privacy claims. You can trust Atlas VPN for carrying out torrenting activities but sharing large media files will be a problem.
Moreover, real-time customer support is only available to premium subscribers. You can expect native app support for Amazon Fire TV, macOS, Android, iOS, and Android TV – however, you will have to wait for the customer support team to contact you via email. You can protect as many devices as you want on the free version.
- Utilizes the super-fast WireGuard protocol for streaming
- Solid AES-256 encryption
- Reliable kill switch
- Works with popular streaming platforms like Netflix
- Lacks advanced security features
- Limited server network
How to Watch YouTube with a VPN in New Zealand?
To watch YouTube with a VPN, you can follow these easy steps:
- Subscribe to a YouTube-friendly VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN for its streaming-optimized servers and 30-day refund guarantee).
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Sign in to the VPN using your credentials.
- Connect to a server location of your preferred YouTube content.
- Open YouTube and start streaming!
What Makes the Best Free YouTube VPN in New Zealand: Our Testing Methodology
There are many factors to consider when finding the best free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand. Excellent connection speeds, top-notch security, and the ability to unblock YouTube are some attributes that top the checklist.
We ranked each VPN against the following criteria:
- Unblocks YouTube: The chosen VPN must have impeccable YouTube unblocking potential. This means it should have a vast and reliable server network to help you access YouTube from an unsupported region or watch content available in a specific country only.
- Server Coverage: Although YouTube is available in most countries, a few countries still have it banned. Ideally, a VPN should have worldwide server coverage so you can connect to a country where YouTube is available and stream its content. Connecting to a nearby server helps improve streaming speeds.
- Connection Speeds: The VPN should have uber-fast connection speeds. YouTube determines the video resolution quality depending on the user’s connection. Even though VPNs slow down connection speeds, the impact should be negligible so that your video quality is not affected.
- Speed: When it comes to streaming YouTube, speed is a key factor. Only the fastest VPN services let you stream in HD or 4K without any interruptions. Our rigorous tests identified the free and risk-free VPNs that ensured hassle-free streaming.
- Bandwidth Limit: 100% free VPNs usually impose a daily or monthly data cap which is insufficient for streaming videos on YouTube. That’s why we have also listed risk-free VPNs that offer unlimited bandwidth and ensure a buffering-free streaming experience in New Zealand.
- Security: It’s important to know that free VPNs lack advanced security features and may expose you to cyberattacks. This is why we looked for VPNs that offer solid encryption, protection from DNS and IP leaks, and an automatic kill switch to securely bypass YouTube geoblocking systems. A reliable YouTube unblocker VPN is also equipped with additional features like an ad blocker.
- Encryption Standards: The VPN must hide your traffic from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to prevent speed throttling. Our testing kept the AES-256 bit encryption as the minimum standard.
- Dedicated Applications: A VPN with native apps for your device improves your streaming experience on YouTube. If you are someone who enjoys watching videos on a mobile, then opt for a VPN with dedicated mobile apps. Select from the best Apple TV VPNs if you like cheering to live matches on a big screen.
Why are YouTube Videos Blocked?
YouTube videos are blocked because the organization does not have the right to broadcast that video content in your region. Other reasons for the blocking of YouTuve videos include:
- YouTube Blocked by Network: If your work or school administration has added YouTube to its blacklist, then the YouTube content is blocked for you.
- Technical Glitches: Sometimes, technical problems with a particular video can prevent it from playing on your device.
- Restrictions by Video Owners: More often than not, the video owners place restrictions on the content. Therefore, the video content is blocked in your region.
- National Censorship: The content may be censored nationally to restrict anyone from the country from accessing it as it may result in political or social distress or even go against religious ethics.
- Restrictions on Media Rights: Not having broadcasting or media rights means the organization does not have permission to broadcast content in your country. The restrictions on broadcasting rights make a video unavailable in your region.
How Do I Fix the YouTube TV VPN Proxy Detected Error?
If you happen to come across a YouTube TV VPN proxy detected error, this means YouTube has identified that you’re using a VPN. Here are some tried solutions to fix the proxy error and continue streaming YouTube without any interruptions in New Zealand:
Check for IP Address or DNS Leaks
Several VPNs do not properly tunnel your internet traffic and connections, thereby leaking your real location to the YouTube location-detection bots.
Follow these steps to check for VPN leaks:
- Disconnect your VPN and note your actual IP address.
- Connect to a VPN server location and note your IP.
There is a VPN leak if you get the DNS servers and IP from your ISP’s location. You can troubleshoot VPN leaks by activating DNS leak protection and an efficient kill switch.
Switch to a Different US Server
If you are still seeing the proxy detection error, it might be because the IP from your current server location has been detected and blocked by YouTube TV. A simple solution is to switch your server location till you find one that works with YouTube TV.
Upgrade to a Premium VPN
Although a free VPN for YouTube TV in New Zealand does not come with an up-front subscription price, you are paying the price either way by risking your sensitive data and having a disastrous streaming experience. So if all else fails to work, consider upgrading to a premium VPN provider like ExpressVPN.
Top VPNs have unrivaled capabilities and super-fast connection speeds when it comes to bypassing VPN blocks. They also have a vast server network and the resources to update their pool of IP addresses regularly. Some even offer dedicated IPs to securely access YouTube TV from unsupported regions.
Money-back guarantee is the best way to stream your favorite content on YouTube TV without paying a single dime.
Free YouTube VPN in New Zealand: FAQs
Why is YouTube not working with a free VPN in New Zealand?
We recommend using ExpressVPN to stream YouTube and bypass the geo-restrictions securely.
Does YouTube block free VPNs in New Zealand?
No, YouTube does not actively block free VPNs or any VPNs in New Zealand. However, not every free VPN works with YouTube as they fail to protect your real IP and often leak your actual location.
Thereby, we recommend subscribing to a premium VPN such as ExpressVPN because it only sends your traffic through an encrypted VPN tunnel. If price is a concern, leverage its 30-day refund policy and stream YouTube free for 30 days.
Is YouTube available in all countries?
No, YouTube is not available in all countries around the world. Some countries like China, North Korea, South Sudan, Turkmenistan, Iran, and Eritrea have put restrictions on YouTube.
We hope you’ve got the answer to; Can I use Free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand? To say it simply, you can use YouTube with a VPN.
However, finding the right free VPN for YouTube in New Zealand depends on what you want to unblock. Completely free VPNs can never access all the geo-blocked streaming sites and deliver a buffer-free streaming experience. Only premium VPNs guarantee successful unblocking of platforms like Apple TV in New Zealand, BBC iPlayer in New Zealand, Amazon Prime in New Zealand, and Hulu in New Zealand.
Free VPNs impose data caps that do not work for streaming video content, especially for a binge-watcher. If you can sit through a buffering YouTube stream with limited access, go for a free VPN.