5 Best VPNs for Spectrum in Canada in 2022: Bypass Throttling & Hide Torrenting
Spectrum, previously known as Time Warner Cable (TWC), is a US-based internet service provider (ISP), owned by Charter Communications since 2016.
The provider offers phone, cable, internet, and streaming services to more than 40 states of the US, having a user base of over 30 million customers.
However, ISPs like Spectrum are not safe when it comes to online privacy. They can see what you do online and throttle the bandwidth if they feel like you’re consuming a lot of data with activities like torrenting, streaming, or gaming.
And that’s when a VPN comes into play. The best VPN for Spectrum in Canada will not only allow you to beat ISP throttling but it will also help you to change your location and access Spectrum TV from Canada.
Moreover, if ISPs can see what you’re doing online then this means they can also keep track of your activities. Most of the time they sell user data to the highest bidders and earn a commission. Also, your data can easily be acquired by the government if they request it from your ISP.
All of this can be avoided if you start using a VPN in Canada.
A VPN encrypts your traffic and runs your traffic through a VPN server in another country from which your location is geo-spoofed and no third parties can see what you’re up to. You’ll go full camouflage on the open web and there is no way for hackers to reach you.
In this article, we will tell you about the best VPN services in Canada to beat Spectrum throttling and bypass geo-restrictions on major streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
So without any further ado, let’s take a look at the quick overview.
5 Best VPNs for Spectrum in Canada in 2022: Quick Overview
- ExpressVPN: Best Overall VPN for Spectrum in Canada.
- NordVPN: Best Spectrum VPN with Obfuscation Servers in Canada.
- Surfshark: Best Spectrum VPN for Unblocking Streaming Sites in Canada.
- CyberGhost: Best Gaming VPN for Spectrum in Canada.
- PureVPN: Best Budget-Friendly VPN for Spectrum in Canada.
5 Best VPNs for Spectrum in Canada in 2022: In-Depth Analysis
We have tested 35+ providers from which the best 5 VPNs for Spectrum in Canada were selected based on the factors of speed, reliability, server count, security, and features.
1. ExpressVPN: Best Overall VPN for Spectrum in Canada
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Spectrum in Canada as it has all the qualities of a top-tier service including high-end security, blazing fast speed, and top-class features.
ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands which doesn’t let the 14 Eyes Alliance members interfere in their business. They also have a strict no-logs policy audited by an independent third party called PwC.
The provider offers 3000+ servers in 94+ countries with a rich pool of US servers and dynamic IPs from which you can easily beat the speed/bandwidth throttling issues on Spectrum in Canada.
You can install the ExpressVPN app on any platform including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. You can test the service on handheld devices with the 7-day free trial or use it 30 days free by hacking the ExpressVPN money-back guarantee in Canada.
ExpressVPN lets you use 5 devices simultaneously but if you need more, you can always configure ExpressVPN on your router using the dedicated router app to ease the setting up process.
The encryption method of ExpressVPN works on the AES 256-bit method and the connection is really fast. With obfuscation servers, your ISP won’t even know you’re using a VPN. Also, you can switch between advanced protocols like IKEv2, OpenVPN, and Lightway, which is a custom-made ExpressVPN protocol.
The ExpressVPN test that we performed resulted in an average speed of 93 Mbps. We could easily access/watch Spectrum TV and torrent effortlessly.
ExpressVPN’s blazing fast speed to stream without buffering
More features of ExpressVPN include; The Network Lock Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, IP/DNS/WebRTC Leak Protection, MediaStreamer, and P2P Support.
We know ExpressVPN can be expensive for a common VPN user in Canada but the value it offers justifies the price tag. This top-tier Spectrum VPN costs CA$16.68 (US$12.95) on a monthly plan, the 6-month plan costs CA$12.87/mo (US$9.99/mo), and the 1-year plan costs CA$8.59/mo ($6.67/mo).
The customer support team of ExpressVPN is available 24/7 via the live chat option on the official website, you can reach them any time of the day with your queries.
Learn more by visiting our dedicated ExpressVPN guide!
2. NordVPN: Best Spectrum VPN with Obfuscation Servers in Canada
NordVPN is the best Spectrum VPN in Canada offering the obfuscation feature. Using the obfuscated servers on Spectrum will hide the fact from the ISP if you’re using a VPN at all. And the feature is insanely easy to use, you just have to navigate to Settings, head to Advanced, and turn on the Obfuscation feature.
NordVPN is based in Panama, a privacy-focused region with no data retention laws, out of the jurisdiction of the 14 Eyes. The service also has a strict no-logs policy audited by PwC, one of the big four auditing firms.
You have the option to connect to 5600+ servers in 59+ countries including 1970+ servers in 15 locations of the US region alone.
NordVPN is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android with browser extensions available for Chrome and Firefox. The service also supports Asus routers but you can configure the VPN on other routers too if you flash your device with third-party firmware.
However, if you don’t want to go through all this, you can just download and install NordVPN on each of your devices as the provider offers 6 simultaneous connections.
NordVPN offers flashy speeds and when we performed the NordVPN speed test for Spectrum, we achieved an average speed of 92 Mbps with access to Spectrum TV and other popular platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Hulu.
NordVPN’s flashy speed on Spectrum
With Onion over VPN and P2P Support, you can easily download large torrent files without worrying about your online identity being exposed.
NordVPN offers more features like Double VPN, CyberSec, and Threat Protection, which are best for somebody with a sensitive profession like journalism or activism.
But if you’re just a regular VPN user in Canada then NordVPN’s standard AES 256-bit encryption is enough. You can also choose between multiple advanced protocols including the OpenVPN protocol, IKEv2, and NordLynx to further strengthen your online security.
NordVPN has a 7-day free trial for Android and iOS but you can hack into the money-back guarantee offer of NordVPN to use the service free for 30 days.
However, if you want to purchase a NordVPN subscription in Canada then it offers 3 plans. There is a monthly plan that costs CA$15.45 (US$11.99), a 1-year plan that costs CA$6.43/mo (US$4.99/mo), and a 2-year plan that costs CA$5.14/mo ($3.99/mo).
To contact NordVPN’s customer support, you can visit the official website and talk to a human representative by using the 24/7 live chat option.
Learn more by visiting our dedicated NordVPN guide!
3. Surfshark: Best Spectrum VPN for Unblocking Streaming Sites in Canada
Surfshark is the best Spectrum VPN in Canada for unblocking streaming sites as the service unblocked 10+ popular streaming sites including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max, and more without having a single buffering incident.
The provider is based in the British Virgin Islands which is a safe jurisdiction for a VPN, away from the 14 Eyes Alliance group. Surfshark is covered with a strict no-logs policy audited by Cure53, an independent third party.
Surfshark qualifies as the best VPN for multiple devices as the service doesn’t have a limit on simultaneous connections, so connect as many devices as you can.
That being said, you can download and install the Surfshark app on all widely-used platforms in Canada including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. You can also test the service on macOS, Android, and iOS devices for free using the 7-day trial.
However, if you want more time to test Surfshark, hack into its money-back offer for a 30-day testing time period.
Surfshark VPN offers the most advanced protocols including OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard, which offers blazing fast speed. Upon testing Surfshark, we achieved an average speed of 88 Mbps.
Surfshark’s Spectrum speed test with the WireGuard protocol
On the security front, Surfshark offers state-of-the-art features like Camouflage Mode, which prevents your VPN traffic from being detected by your ISP, and NoBorders, which allows you to use a VPN in the most restrictive regions like China or Belarus.
More handy features of Surfshark include; Smart DNS, Kill Switch, MultiHop, CleanWeb, Bypasser, and IP/DNS/WebRTC Leak Protection.
Surfshark remains one of the best cheap VPNs of all time in Canada. The long-term 2-year plan costs CA$3.21/mo ($2.49/mo), the 1-year plan costs CA$5.14/mo (US$3.99/mo), and the 1-month plan costs CA$16.68 (US$12.95).
Surfshark’s customer support team is always available via the 24/7 live chat option. So do not hesitate to reach them if you have any queries.
Learn more by visiting our dedicated Surfshark guide!
4. CyberGhost: Best Gaming VPN for Spectrum in Canada
CyberGhost is the best gaming VPN for Spectrum in Canada as the provider can bypass ISP throttling easily and with the game-optimized servers, you get your dream ping on popular games like CS: GO, Valorant, and Apex Legends.
The provider is based in Romania, which is a safe region, away from the 14 Eyes group. CyberGhost can easily unblock Spectrum on your school or work network in Canada.
CyberGhost has a strict no-logs policy but the policy has not been audited by an independent third-party firm since 2012. However, the provider assures that they don’t log or track any data of the user.
The stealth mode of CyberGhost disguises your VPN traffic as regular traffic to trick your ISP into thinking you’re just using the public network just like any other user.
CyberGhost is quick, fast, and stable. Upon testing, we achieved an average speed of 82 Mbps and the ping rate was 5 – 8 ms from which we could easily game smoothly with no laggy frames.
A dream latency for gamers with CyberGhost VPN on Spectrum
CyberGhost servers work on all popular streaming platforms. The service can unblock streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube TV, DAZN, Disney+, HBO Max, and more.
More features of CyberGhost include; Smart Rules, NoSpy feature, Smart DNS, Split Tunneling, Kill Switch, and IP/DNS/WebRTC Leak Protection.
CyberGhost offers 7 simultaneous connections so you can easily cover all your devices with a single subscription plan. But if that’s not enough, you can easily set up CyberGhost on your router with manual configuration.
The service is not that expensive if you opt for a long-term plan in Canada. There are 4 plans offered by CyberGhost VPN. A monthly plan that costs CA$16.73 (US$12.99), a 1-year plan that costs CA$5.53/mo (US$4.29/mo), a 2-year plan that costs CA$4.19/mo (US$3.25/mo), and a 3-year plan that costs CA$2.95/mo ($2.29/mo).
To get to the customer service representative of CyberGhost, you can navigate to the 24/7 live chat option on the official page.
Learn more by visiting our dedicated CyberGhost guide!
5. PureVPN: Best Budget-Friendly VPN for Spectrum in Canada
While PureVPN is extremely pocket-friendly, it doesn’t mean that the provider has compromised on value. PureVPN bears all the qualities of a top-tier VPN in the domains of speed, security, servers, and features.
The provider is based in the British Virgin Islands and it has a strict no-logs policy which has been audited by Altius IT, an independent third-party firm.
PureVPN offers compatible apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. You can use its 7-day free trial on Android and iOS to test the service or you can also hack into its money-back offer to use the VPN free for 30 days.
The encryption method used is the market-standard AES 256-bit and the protocols you use are; OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), WireGuard, IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, and IKEv2/IPSec.
PureVPN offers decent speed with an average of 80 Mbps from which we could easily stream on popular streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video in 4K with no buffering issues.
PureVPN unblocked major streaming platforms with its swift speed
You can connect up to 10 devices simultaneously with a single PureVPN account. However, if you feel the need to have more then you can always set up PureVPN on your router in Canada.
PureVPN doesn’t limit your bandwidth and offers direct P2P downloads to take care of your anonymity while you download large torrent files.
More features of PureVPN include; Kill Switch — which terminates your internet connection in case the VPN drops, Split Tunneling — which allows you to use the public and private network simultaneously, Smart DNS — allows you to stream effectively without encrypting your traffic, and IP/DNS/WebRTC Leak Protection.
To sign up for PureVPN in Canada, you can subscribe to the monthly plan which has a cost of CA$14.12 (US$10.95), or the 1-year plan which has a cost of CA$4.17/mo (US$3.24/mo). But we suggest you go for the 2-year plan as it is PureVPN’s best deal so far.
PureVPN’s customer support is available 24/7 via the live chat option on the official website so reach them with your queries without any hesitations.
Learn more by visiting our dedicated PureVPN guide!
Why Do I Need a VPN for Spectrum in Canada?
A VPN can have many benefits. And if you want to use Spectrum in Canada then you need one for the following reasons:
- To beat bandwidth throttling. You might not be achieving the full potential of your internet if your ISP is throttling your speed. ISPs can see what you do online and throttle your bandwidth if they notice you downloading large files or streaming too many videos. To avoid this, you need a VPN. A VPN encrypts your traffic from which your ISP wouldn’t be able to see what you’re doing online and you’ll be having unlimited bandwidth.
- To keep your data private. As mentioned before, whatever you do online is visible to your ISP. And some ISPs are known to collect user data and sell it to concerned parties. They’ll even hand over your data to the government if they request it. However, when you’re connected to a VPN, it encrypts your traffic and there won’t be any data to be stored by the ISP or any other third party snooping on you.
- To bypass geo-restrictions. While the primary function of a VPN is to add an extra layer of security to keep your online identity anonymous, they’re also proved to be a very powerful tool to unblock geo-restricted services. If you’re unable to access something (a website or a streaming platform) just because you’re in a restricted region then a VPN can help you unblock it. A VPN geo-spoofs your location and tricks the service into thinking that you’re accessing it from some other country. This makes it easy for you to bypass the geo-restrictions in Canada in no time.
How to Set up a VPN on Spectrum in Canada?
Methodology: Selecting the Best VPN for Spectrum in Canada
There are a lot of factors into consideration while picking the best VPN for Spectrum in Canada. Security and privacy are the top most. Here are all the factors you should look into before committing to a Spectrum VPN in Canada.
- Security: Go for a VPN that offers the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption method with handy features like a built-in kill switch and advanced protocols like OpenVPN or IKEv2.
- Privacy: ISPs are known to collect user data for which you’re using a VPN. But what if your VPN provider sells your traffic to a third party? So make sure you choose a top-tier VPN that has a strict no-logs policy, audited by an independent firm.
- Speed: It is not a surprise that VPNs can decrease the speed of your internet as your traffic has to do a detour by passing through a VPN server first and then reach the destination page. We made sure the VPN providers we suggested had very little or no impact on decreasing your internet speed.
- Torrenting: If you are a torrent freak who downloads large files then your ISP might be throttling your connection to stop you from doing so. All of the VPNs that we mentioned support P2P and you can easily use them to bypass throttling issues to download your favorite movies or shows via torrents.
- Streaming: Entertainment giants like Hulu or Netflix have tricky algorithms which are hard to crack. Our mentioned list of VPNs are guaranteed to unblock major streaming platforms and you can even stream on 4K or UHD with the blazing fast speed they offer.
- Reasonable Price: A good VPN service doesn’t have to be expensive. All the VPNs that we mentioned offer the best value and you can save much more if you opt for their longer-term plans instead of the monthly ones.
What to do if my VPN isn’t working with Spectrum in Canada?
Spectrum VPN issues can occur sometimes out of nowhere. But don’t worry, they can be dealt with very easily. Here are some of the hacks you can perform if your VPN is not working with Spectrum in Canada.
- Switch to another VPN provider. Not all VPNs are the best fit for Spectrum. You need to choose a top-tier Spectrum VPN in Canada that offers the reliability factor. Look out for P2P support and app compatibility.
- Connect to a different server. Sometimes a server can have issues bypassing the geo-restrictions. Disconnect and then reconnect to a different server to check if your problem is solved.
- Change encryption protocol. All types of protocols are suited for specific tasks. Not all protocols are meant for everything. For suppose, OpenVPN UDP is best when you’re gaming or streaming while OpenVPN TCP is best when you need a stable connection. In my opinion, you should just choose the “Automatic” option and let the VPN app decide which protocol best suits your need.
- Update router firmware. Sometimes an older firmware can mess with the functionality of your VPN. Update your router’s firmware and check if the issue is solved.
Can I use a free VPN for Spectrum in Canada?
While you can use a Spectrum free VPN in Canada, we usually don’t recommend using one. Free VPNs often come with restrictions like speed and bandwidth limits, plus you’ll only be able to connect to a small number of servers.
Using a VPN on Spectrum in Canada is because of two main reasons. To bypass geo-restrictions and to beat ISP throttling. But if the provider itself is throttling your connection speed, then what’s the point of using a VPN at all?
Moreover, free VPNs do not have the resources to crack the impossible algorithms of streaming giants like Netflix so you won’t be able to access different libraries of the service.
Also, why do you think these VPN companies are so generous enough to not charge you for using their product? That’s because you are the product. Free VPNs usually make profits by logging the information of users and sell it to third parties.
The wise thing to do here is to sign up for a reputable VPN provider that offers high-end security, a strict no-logs policy, and optimized servers to bypass geo-restrictions on popular streaming platforms. This way, you’ll be enjoying the full perks of the internet without even being seen by online predators.
FAQs: Best VPN for Spectrum in Canada
Does Spectrum ban VPNs in Canada?
No, Spectrum doesn’t block VPNs because they are legal. Although some sites can block VPNs but there’s no reason for Spectrum to block them.
Does Spectrum block PPTP VPN in Canada?
No. Spectrum support says they do not block any VPN ports.
Does Spectrum app work in Canada?
The content on Spectrum TV is for US viewership only. No one outside of the US can watch the content of Spectrum TV unless a VPN is used. A VPN can encrypt your traffic and geo-spoof your location to the US from which you can easily watch Spectrum TV while in Canada.
How do I open ports on my Spectrum in Canada?
- Download the My Spectrum app from App Store or Google Play Store.
- Launch the My Spectrum app.
- Create an account if you don’t have one already and sign in with your credentials.
- Tap on the Services tab.
- Tap on Router.
- Now tap on Advanced Settings.
- Then tap on Port Forwarding & IP Reservations.
- Tap on Add Port Assignement.
- Type in a port assignment name.
- Type in the internal and external ports.
- Select the protocol.
- Tap on Save.
How can I watch all Spectrum channels away from home?
You can download the Spectrum TV app on your device and use a VPN to geo-spoof your location and have access to your favorite content while you’re away from home.
Can you use a VPN in Canada with Spectrum TV?
Yes, you can. However, not all VPNs can get the job done. So we recommend ExpressVPN. You can easily download and install the VPN on your device as it is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Spectrum in Canada?
Look for the following traits while choosing the best VPN for Spectrum in Canada.
- A reliable and steady connection.
- High-end security features and a strict no-logs policy.
- A rich pool of servers to bypass geo-restrictions.
- Blazing fast speed to allow streaming in UHD and 4K without buffering.
- More than 4 simultaneous connections for multiple devices.
Does Spectrum care about piracy?
If your computer is being used for copyrighted material including movies, shows, music, software, or television then Spectrum requests you to stop the copyright violation. Spectrum has a policy called AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) that prohibits copyright violation.
To bypass geo-restrictions and beat ISP throttling, ExpressVPN wins as the best VPN for Spectrum in Canada to help you avoid these issues.
It offers high-end security, blazing fast speed, an expansive server network, and lots of handy features. The pricing can be a bit expensive but the value it offers justifies the pricing factor. Plus, you can get a discount if you sign up for their 1-year plan.
That’s it for now. Do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions related to Spectrum VPNs.