5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong in 2022
While Hong Kong is not yet subject to the same level of internet censorship as mainland China, it is still heavily monitored.
This is especially true since the introduction of the Hong Kong National Security Law. For this reason, we suggest using a VPN while in Hong Kong.
In this article, we will tell you about the 5 best VPN for Hong Kong from different aspects including speed, security, streaming support, and pricing.
A VPN will allow you to access websites and platforms that may soon be censored or blocked. It will also protect your data and privacy from prying eyes.
Websites like Google, Wikipedia, and Facebook are blocked in mainland China. However, they are still accessible in Hong Kong. But you never know when that might change. A VPN will allow you to access these websites regardless of censorship.
Additionally, a VPN will encrypt your data and traffic. This means that your ISP or anyone else monitoring your traffic will not be able to see what you are doing online.
This is important because the government in Hong Kong has been known to collect user data and hand it over to the Chinese government.
A VPN will prevent this from happening as your data will be encrypted and unreadable to anyone trying to snoop on you.
The use of a VPN is not illegal in Hong Kong. However, the government has the right to block any website it deems inappropriate.
So without any further ado, let’s take a look at the best VPNs for Hong Kong.
5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong: Quick Summary
- ExpressVPN: Our top VPN for Hong Kong. Blazing fast speed with 3000+ servers in 94+ countries.
- NordVPN: The world’s best-known VPN for Hong Kong with a large server network of 5600+ in 59+ countries.
- Surfshark: Fully featured Hong Kong VPN with pocket-friendly plans. 3200+ servers in 65+ countries.
- CyberGhost: The beginner-friendly HK VPN with a massive total of 6000+ servers in 88 countries.
- IPVanish: The best-value VPN for Hong Kong with cheap pricing plans. 2000+ servers in 75 countries.
Want to know how to set up a VPN for Hong Kong? Redirect here!
5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong: In-Depth Analysis
1. ExpressVPN: The Best All-round VPN for Hong Kong
- Price: $6.67/mo on 1-year plan + 3-months free
- Trustpilot rating: 4.7
- Server Count: 3000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Simultaneous Connections: 5
Based on the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands (BVI), ExpressVPN is one of the premier Hong Kong VPNs.
The provider offers 3000+ servers in 94+ countries including servers in Hong Kong and other nearby locations like Taiwan and China.
ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy to keep customers in the Hong Kong region safe and secure from domestic and Beijing authorities. The policy has also been audited by PwC, an independent third-party firm.
ExpressVPN constantly monitors its servers available in China to stay ahead of censorship blocks. With obfuscation servers and the AES 256-bit encryption method, your online identity is safe as no third parties can snoop on your activities.
With a single ExpressVPN plan, you can have 5 simultaneous connections. ExpressVPN is compatible with all widely-used devices including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.
ExpressVPN is one of the few providers that offers a dedicated app for routers. Also, it is compatible with major routers including Netgear, Asus, and Linksys.
Other handy features of ExpressVPN include Network Lock, Split Tunneling, MediaStreamer, and DNS/IP/WebRTC Leak Protection.
The servers are optimized enough to work on major streaming platforms including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more.
The service hit an all-time average maximum speed of 94 Mbps upon testing, which is enough to stream in 4K.
There are 3 plans currently offered by ExpressVPN. A monthly plan that costs $12.95, a 6-month plan that costs $9.99/mo., and a 1-year plan that costs $6.67/mo.
You have to pay your subscription fee upfront but the plans are covered with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try them risk-free.
- BVI-based VPN.
- 24/7 live customer support.
- Compatible with all devices.
- No bandwidth throttling.
- Network Lock.
- Split tunneling.
- Dedicated router app.
- Expensive subscription plans.
For more information, check out this full review of ExpressVPN!
2. NordVPN: World’s Best-Known Hong Kong VPN With A Large Server Network
- Price: $3.99/mo on 2-year plan
- Trustpilot rating: 4.4
- Server Count: 5600+ servers in 59+ countries
- Simultaneous Connections: 6
With a rich pool of 5600+ servers in 59+ countries, NordVPN offer over 70 servers in Hong Kong alone.
It is a Panama-based VPN where there are no data retention laws. Also, the region falls out of the jurisdiction of the 14 Eyes Alliance.
The service encrypts your traffic with military-grade encryption and it has a strict no-logs policy audited by an independent third party so don’t worry about your data being logged.
NordVPN features include Double VPN, which can be used to encrypt your traffic twice. CyberSec, to block ads, trackers, and malware, and a split tunneling tool to access the VPN network and public network at the same time.
Upon testing, we achieved an average speed of 92 Mbps from which you can easily unblock streaming platforms and watch your favorite movies and TV shows lag-free on Netflix, HBO Max, Sling TV, BBC iPlayer, fuboTV, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
The provider offers a dedicated app for all platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. You can have 6 simultaneous connections with a single NordVPN account.
There are 3 plans offered by NordVPN, a monthly plan that costs $11.99, a 1-year plan that costs $4.99/mo., and a 2-year plan that costs $6.67/mo.
All the plans are covered with a 30-day money-back guarantee offer and you can also use the NordVPN 7-day free trial to try it before paying.
- Panama-based VPN.
- 6 simultaneous connections.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- Smart DNS.
- Double VPN.
- Split tunneling.
- No dedicated router app.
For more information, check out this full review of NordVPN!
3. Surfshark: Fully Featured Hong Kong VPN With Pocket-Friendly Plans
- Price: $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan
- Trustpilot rating: 4.3
- Server Count: 3200+ servers in 65+ countries
- Simultaneous Connections: Unlimited
Nestled in the data-friendly BVI region, Surfshark is one of the budget-friendly options with decent speed and security features. It offers a 2-year plan that only costs $2.49/mo.
Surfshark is a VPN service that ensures your data stays private when using the internet in Hong Kong. It offers a host of perks that its competitors don’t.
You have Private DNS, Obfuscation Servers, and Camouflage Mode that keep you anonymous on the open web.
Surfshark also offers its users end-to-end encryption using the latest AES 256-bit system, which makes your data virtually irretrievable to authorities.
Best of all: Surfshark is one of the few VPN providers with no limits on simultaneous connections. This means you can connect as many devices as you want without worrying about data or speed throttling.
And that too, with advanced protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard.
Other handy features include CleanWeb, which blocks ads/malware/trackers. Bypasser, which is a split-tunneling tool. And a proprietary “MultiHop” network that scrambles your IP address across multiple countries to ensure the maximum level of anonymity possible.
On the streaming front, Surfshark works on all major streaming platforms including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more. And upon testing, Surfshark servers achieved an average speed of 90 Mbps!
Other than the 2-year plan, Surfshark offers 2 more plans including a monthly plan that costs $12.95 and a 1-year plan that costs $3.99/mo.
All the plans require an upfront payment and they’re covered with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Also, you can use Surfshark’s free trial to try it first before paying.
- BVI-based VPN.
- More affordable than competitors.
- Bypasser tool.
- Limited P2P servers.
For more information, check out this full review of Surfshark!
4. CyberGhost: The Beginner-Friendly Hong Kong VPN
- Price: $2.29/mo
- Trustpilot rating: 4.7
- Server Count: 6000+ servers in 88 countries
- Simultaneous Connections: 7
If you’re looking for a premium Hong Kong VPN service with a user-friendly app for streaming HD content, look no further than Cyberghost.
This VPN offers 4K streaming support which can be evident by the speed test we performed, resulting in an average speed of 81 Mbps.
Moreover, CyberGhost offers unlimited bandwidth so you can enjoy throttle-free connection speeds for large amounts of data while anonymous.
Cyberghost boasts a whopping 60 servers in Hong Kong alone (total: 6000+ servers in 88 countries), making it one of the fastest and most reliable VPNs in the SAR area.
Plus, you can take advantage of the Romanian-based NoSpy servers to browse all your activities while being under the radar.
Cyberghost features a lightweight UI/UX as a Chrome and Firefox extension, so you can install the program and get it running in seconds.
Other features by CyberGhost include dedicated IPs, split tunneling, a 2-mode kill switch, and DNS/IP/WebRTC leak protection to keep your online identity safe.
The provider encrypts your traffic with the AES 256-bit method and the WireGuard protocol of CyberGhost is slightly better than the one offered by NordVPN.
Additionally, CyberGhost is one of the few VPN providers with a 45-day money-back guarantee offer.
There are 4 plans by CyberGhost, a monthly plan that costs $12.99, a 1-year plan that costs $4.29/mo., a 2-year plan that costs $3.25/mo., and a 3-year plan that costs $2.49/mo.
- Ultra-fast HK server.
- 7 simultaneous connections.
- Split tunneling.
- 2-mode kill switch.
- No independent third-party audits yet.
For more information, check out this full review of CyberGhost!
5. IPVanish: The Best-Value VPN for Hong Kong With Unlimited Connections
- Price: $3.99/mo
- Trustpilot rating: 4.6
- Server Count: 2000+ servers in 75 countries
- Simultaneous Connections: Unlimited
If you’re looking for a VPN that offers great value for money with no limits on simultaneous connections, then IPVanish is the one for you.
IPVanish has a pocket-friendly 1-year deal that only costs $3.99/mo.
The service supports all major platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Chrome, and other streaming devices like Fire TV.
It offers fast speeds and good security. It performed well when we conducted a speed test which resulted in an average speed of 76 Mbps.
Although IPVanish is US-based, it has a strict no-logs policy so your data will be safe with them.
One of the unique features of IPVanish is Scramble. It can help you hide your OpenVPN traffic in Hong Kong, a country that is known to identify OpenVPN traffic through deep packet inspection.
Other security features of IPVanish are SOCKS5 proxy, kill switch, split tunneling, WebRTC/IP/DNS leak protection, shared IP address, and AES 256-bit encryption system.
IPVanish works on all major streaming platforms including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Sling TV, HBO Max, and more.
Other IPVanish pricing plans include a monthly plan that costs  and a quarterly (3-month) plan that costs .
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- SOCKS5 proxy.
- Shared IP addresses.
- Split tunneling.
- Built-in kill switch.
- Lack of optimized servers.
For more information, check out this full review of IPVanish!
Why Use a VPN in Hong Kong?
By connecting to a VPN for Hong Kong, you’ll be able to bypass geo-restrictions by appearing to be in another country entirely.
On top of that, your online identity and activities will be hidden from your ISP, government, and any other prying eyes.
Also, a VPN will encrypt your data and traffic ensuring that your privacy is protected at all times.
This will come in handy if you’re using public Wi-Fi as it will prevent anyone from snooping on your traffic and stealing your data.
Additionally, it can help you unblock censored websites and platforms like Google, Wikipedia, and Facebook.
And lastly, a VPN can help you access streaming services that may not be available in Hong Kong like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, and more.
Methodology to Select the Best VPN for Hong Kong
When choosing a VPN for Hong Kong, there are several factors you need to take into account. Here are some of those:
- Strong Security: The VPN you choose should have strong security features like military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy. This will ensure that your data and privacy are protected at all times. Check for the kill switch feature, which automatically disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection drops ensuring that your traffic is not exposed in case of a sudden drop in your VPN connection.
- Servers in Hong Kong: The VPN you choose should have a large server network including servers in Hong Kong. This will ensure that you can connect to a local server at the fastest possible speeds. Hong Kong servers will let you connect to your hometown websites and services as well as unblock geo-blocked content. Also, with a rich network, the server you use will be less crowded and you’ll receive better speeds.
- Blazing Speed: Make sure your VPN provider offers fast servers. This is important especially if you’re planning on streaming videos or gaming online. A fast VPN connection will also come in handy if you’re planning on downloading large files.
- Streaming Support: Go for a top-tier VPN that can easily unblock popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. Make sure the provider offers a new server as soon as one server is blocked by a streaming platform so you can always enjoy your favorite shows and movies.
- Pricing: The VPN you choose should offer a reasonable pricing plan. Look for a provider that offers a discount on longer plans like the yearly or bi-annual plans. Also, look out for a money-back guarantee so you can try out the service risk-free.
How Do I Set up a VPN for Hong Kong?
1. Sign up for a reputable VPN provider. We recommend ExpressVPN because of its fast speeds and strong security features.
2. Download and install the VPN app on your device.
3. Launch the VPN app and sign in with your VPN credentials.
4. Connect to a VPN server of your choice.
5. Start watching movies and shows on your favorite streaming platform!
Should I Use a Free VPN for Hong Kong?
Internet freedom is well-protected in Hong Kong. However, some content may still be restricted. For that, you need a VPN.
We don’t recommend using a free VPN as they’re usually not as reliable and they don’t offer the same level of security and privacy as a paid VPN.
Free VPNs are often slower and they have data limits which aren’t ideal if you’re planning on streaming videos or downloading large files.
Some free VPNs even steal your data and sell it to third-party companies to earn a commission. And then you are targeted with ads.
So, it’s best to avoid free VPNs and go for a reputable paid VPN instead if you want fast speeds, strong security, and access to popular streaming platforms.
Will a VPN Protect You from Hong Kong’s Privacy Laws?
Yes, using a Hong Kong VPN service will protect your data from seizure and surveillance by foreign and domestic authorities.
Although Hong Kong’s data regulatory environment is the envy of much of the world, there’s no guarantee that Beijing isn’t snooping on your browsing—that’s why we recommend using a VPN to secure an anonymous IP address.
FAQs related to Best VPN for Hong Kong
Is VPN legal in Hong Kong?
VPNs are perfectly legal in Hong Kong and are available to download from the official websites of providers. However, there is no guarantee of when this might change.
Which free VPN has Hong Kong server?
Urban VPN has servers across the globe with blazing fast speeds and thousands of IPs to choose from. So when connected to one of them, you easily carry out your activities anonymously in Hong Kong. It is the best free VPN for Hong Kong.
How do I connect to Netflix in Hong Kong?
First, you have to sign up with a VPN provider with US VPN servers such as ExpressVPN. Then you can change your IP address by connecting to a US server and you can easily have access to American Netflix.
How much is HK VPN?
The best VPN for Hong Kong is ExpressVPN. It has 3 plans. A monthly plan that costs $12.95, a 6-month plan that costs $9.99/mo., and a 1-year plan that costs $6.67/mo.
How do I connect to Hong Kong VPN?
1. Download a VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN because of its super-fast speed and military-grade encryption with plenty of servers in Hong Kong.
2. Connect to a server in Hong Kong. You can choose any location in Hong Kong to change your real IP address to a Hong Kong IP address.
3. Start streaming.
Wrapping Things Up
After weighing our options, we found the best VPN for Hong Kong to be ExpressVPN. The provider has its headquarters in the British Virgin Islands and has a reliable track record of respecting its customers’ privacy by not logging their data.
It also unblocks all famous VoDs like Netflix in the country, while even bypassing the “Great Firewall” in China. In other words, ExpressVPN is the ideal VPN solution for Hong Kongers, who want to stay anonymous online.