Best VPN for Tor in UK: Maximize Anonymity & Security in 2022
Need to get the best VPN for Tor in UK? Tor is free and open-source software for enabling anonymous communication. The name is an acronym derived from the original software project name “The Onion Router“.
Tor directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide including UK, volunteer overlay network consisting of more than seven thousand relays to conceal a user’s location and usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis.
It lets you browse the Internet anonymously. It prevents your online activity from being tracked and allows you to access blocked websites in UK.
However, your internet service provider or government agencies can still see that you’re using Tor in UK. This is not ideal as they can then block your access to Tor and you could also get in legal troubles.
This is where a VPN in UK comes in. Using Tor with a VPN in UK will give you the best of both worlds: anonymity and security.
A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, encrypts your traffic and routes it through a server in another country. The fact that you’re using Tor in UK will be hidden from your ISP and anyone else monitoring your traffic.
The Tor browser in UK delivers excellent security and privacy features, which make it impossible to trace your identity. VPNs, on the other hand, offer unmatched speed and unblocking capabilities. As such, when used together they can offer a tremendous experience to the privacy-conscious.
Additionally, a VPN will give you access to blocked websites and content in UK. You’ll be able to browse the Internet freely without any restrictions.
Read this guide for the Best VPN for Tor in UK to uncover the right service for your streaming and privacy needs by BestVPN!
5 Best VPNs for Tor in UK: A Quick Overview
- ExpressVPN — Best VPN for Safe Tor Browsing in UK
- NordVPN — Secure Tor VPN for Everyone in UK
- Surfshark — Great Low-Cost VPN for Tor in UK
- CyberGhost — User-Friendly VPN to Use With Tor Browser in UK
- PureVPN — Solid VPN for Tor in UK
ExpressVPN is our top pick to use with Tor in UK!
How to Use a VPN with Tor in UK?
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN from their “Official website“
- Download/install the relevant application
- Launch the app and select any server location
- Hit the connect button to activate VPN connectivity
- Open the Tor Browser and enjoy maximum anonymity online!
5 Best VPNs for Tor in UK: In-Depth Analysis
The criteria for finding the best VPN for Tor in UK is quite different from other aspects like privacy and streaming. You need to find a provider familiar with the different VPN and Tor configs in UK.
One that offers advanced technologies/features available to form a strong connection, which does not compromise on speeds, support, reliability, or server availability.
If you are looking for the same, below is a list of the best VPNs for Tor in UK.
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Safe Tor Browsing in UK
- Number of Servers: 3000+ Servers in 94+ Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.7
- Maximum Devices Supported: 5
- Price: GBP 5.57 ($6.67/mo). on a 1-year plan (49% discount!)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN in UK for safe browsing on Tor due to its remarkable security aspects like the AES 256-bit encryption system and advanced protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, and Lightway, which is its own custom protocol.
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2011, ExpressVPN is the preferred choice for many Tor user in UKs. For connectivity, users have access to 3000+ servers in 94+ countries covering more than 160 locations worldwide.
You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial in UK for testing the product or avail of their 30-day refund policy.
Upon testing, we achieved an average speed of 95 Mbps which is more than enough to stream in excellent quality.
ExpressVPN has support for all the widely-used devices including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android which you can use on 5 devices at the same in UK.
Not only this, ExpressVPN is compatible with major routers like Netgear/Asus/Linksys and it also offers a dedicated app for routers that simplifies the configuration process.
ExpressVPN encrypts your data with the AES Military-grade encryption method which is paired with Perfect Forward Secrecy, DNS/IP/WebRTC leak protection, and a built-in kill switch called Network Lock.
All of ExpressVPN’s servers work on RAM infrastructure which means there is no chance of your data being logged or tracked.
It also has a strict no-logs policy that has been audited by PwC, an independent audit firm. And as ExpressVPN is registered in the BVI, the service falls out of the jurisdiction of data retention rules.
ExpressVPN has also launched its own Onion Site and you can contact the representatives of ExpressVPN via live chat if you have any queries.
You can pay for ExpressVPN with a variety of payment options including PayPal, credit cards, debit cards, and even cryptocurrency if you want to pay for the service anonymously in UK.
ExpressVPN has a 15-month plan that will cost you GBP 5.57 ($6.67/mo), considering the VPNs reliability and unblocking capabilities, the price is justified. You can also use the provider to bypass geo-restrictions and content limitations on streaming platforms including Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more in UK. Moreover, enjoy the fast and smooth streaming experience with ExpressVPN Netflix.
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices in UK
- Lightway Protocol
- Dedicated router app
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed in UK
- Unblocks American Netflix in UK
- Covers 160 locations
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full ExpressVPN review!
2. NordVPN: Secure Tor VPN for Everyone in UK
- Number of Servers: 5600+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.4
- Maximum Devices Supported: 6
- Price: GBP 3.33 ($3.99/mo). on a 2-year plan (51% discount!)
NordVPN is a secure choice for your Tor in UK activities as it is a Panama-based VPN, where there are no data retention laws and the region is out of the 14 Eyes Alliance’s reach. There is a dedicated feature “Onion over VPN” offered by NordVPN in UK.
Some experts say that NordVPN can see what you’re doing if you use Tor with NordVPN in UK. But there is nothing to worry about as the provider has a strict no-logs policy that has been audited by PwC. But if you’re still concerned, use Tor and NordVPN independently in UK.
The provider offers apps for all devices including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS in UK.
After performing the NordVPN speed test, we achieved an average speed of 92 Mbps when we tested the servers.
Your traffic is encrypted by the AES 256-bit encrypted method and in addition, there is Perfect Forward Secrecy, Automatic Wi-Fi Protection, DNS/WebRTC/IP leak protection, and a built-in kill switch that will terminate your internet if the VPN drops.
NordVPN in UK offers a rich pool of 5600+ servers in 59+ countries including obfuscated servers with advanced protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, and NordLynx (NordVPN’s custom protocol based on the WireGuard technology).
Other features include Double VPN — encrypts traffic twice, Split Tunneling — lets you access the public and private network simultaneously, CyberSec — blocks ads/malware/phishing attempts, and Smart DNS — lets you access geo-restricted content without encrypting your traffic.
You can pay for NordVPN using your debit card, credit card, PayPal, Sofort, or even cryptocurrency. The provider accepts Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and more in UK.
You can test NordVPN via the free trial and 30-day refund guarantee. With NordVPN, we experienced no downtime when unblocking different streaming platforms including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more in UK. Also, NordVPN Netflix is the best combination.
- Covers 59+ Countries
- Onion over VPN feature available in UK
- Dedicated IPs available in UK
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix in UK
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed in UK
- No dedicated router app
For more information, check out this full NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Great Low-Cost VPN for Tor in UK
- Number of Servers: 3200+ Servers in 65+ Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.4
- Maximum Devices Supported: Unlimited
- Price: GBP 2.08$2.49/mo. on a 2-year plan (Save 81%!)
Surfshark is the best choice to go for if you’re looking for a VPN service in UK that’s pocket-friendly. The provider offers a 2-year plan with a low price of GBP 2.08 ($2.49/mo).
Based in the British Virgin Islands and launched in 2018, Surfshark is the best Tor VPN in UK, which works exceptionally well with the browser. The speeds offered by the VPN helped in improving the browsing experience considerably while leveraging excellent anonymity online.
With Surfshark, your physical location will be hidden and your data secure. The VPN in UK encrypts your traffic with the AES 256-bit encryption method and offers protocols including IKEv2, OpenVPN, and the unbreakable WireGuard.
The Surfshark speed test in UK resulted in an average speed of 90 Mbps which will give you a lag-free experience while playing your favorite multiplayer games.
Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy so your data is not logged or tracked. The service has also been audited by an independent firm called Cure53.
Handy features of Surfshark include MultiHop — encrypts traffic twice, CleanWeb — blocks ads/malware, Bypasser — built-in split tunneling tool, kill switch, and Smart DNS — makes geo-restricted services available without encrypting traffic.
The best part of all: You can have unlimited simultaneous connections within UK. This means you can use Surfshark on as many devices as you want with a single subscription plan.
Surfshark is compatible with all devices including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS in UK. It is compatible with routers too, but you’ll need to configure it manually.
For testing the service, you even have a Surfshark Free Trial available on iOS, macOS, and Android devices. As for other platforms, there is a 30-day refund guarantee in UK.
The service offers 24/7 customer support via live chat and email so do not hesitate to discuss your queries.
You can pay for Surfshark with a variety of payment methods, even with cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and more) in UK.
Surfshark has a total count of 3200+ servers in 65+ countries, which offer exemplary performance. Most of which are even capable of unblocking streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Sling TV, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, Hulu, Disney+, and more in UK.
- Covers 63+ Countries
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections in UK
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction in UK
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection in UK
- Limited P2P Servers
For more information, check out this full Surfshark review!
4. CyberGhost: User-Friendly VPN to Use With Tor Browser in UK
- Number of Servers: 6000+ Servers in 88 Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.7
- Maximum Devices Supported: 7
- Price: GBP 1.86 ($2.29/mo). on a 3-year plan (Save 82%!)
CyberGhost offers user-friendly apps on all platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android so if you’re a VPN newbie, CyberGhost is a great choice for UK.
It is super-easy to use with Tor in UK. You can use the “Always Connect” option under Wi-Fi Auto-Protect for maximized security.
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is a renowned choice for unblockers. Users have access to over 6000+ servers in 88 countries worldwide, and the network keeps on growing.
CyberGhost offers fast speeds with a reliable connection, approx in UK. 80 Mbps on average which is more than enough to stream in UHD.
The provider encrypts your traffic with the AES 256-bit encryption method with Perfect Forward Secrecy and the protocols available are L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard.
CyberGhost also has a strict no-logs policy so you don’t need to worry about data tracking. We tested 6 servers on IPLeak.net and no leaks were found in UK.
Features offered by CyberGhost are 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, DNS/IP/WebRTC leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and a navigation bar for finding specific servers. The provider even utilizes obfuscation technology for unblocking streaming platforms in UK.
CyberGhost easily manages to bypass geo-restrictions and VPN bans on other popular streaming sites like Netflix, Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now with ease in UK.
The best CyberGhost plan only costs GBP 1.86 ($2.29/mo). which is a 3-year plan. It is covered with a 45-day money-back guarantee and you can pay with a variety of payment methods including credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, Bitcoin, and more.
CyberGhost even encrypts your email address by assigning users with an anonymous ID which adds an additional layer of privacy.
The customer support team of CyberGhost works 24/7 so you can easily reach them for your queries via live chat in UK.
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- Easy-to-navigate app in UK
- Covers 88+ Countries
- Stealth VPN Protection Feature in UK
- Dedicated Streaming Servers in UK
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- No independent audits since 2012
For more information, check out this full CyberGhost review!
5. PureVPN: Solid VPN for Tor in UK
- Number of Servers: 6500+ Servers in 78 Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.7
- Maximum Devices Supported: 10
- Price: GBP 1.66($1.99/mo). on a 2-year plan (82% off!)
PureVPN is a solid VPN choice for Tor in UK that offers the features and services of a top-tier provider at cheap pricing.
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and founded in 2007, PureVPN is the best option for budget-hunters. For connectivity, users have access to a network infrastructure of 6500+ servers in 78 countries worldwide. As far as privacy is concerned, PureVPN has been audited by Altius IT.
Registered in the privacy-friendly BVI, the service doesn’t come in the range of data retention laws. Also, it is the first always on-audit VPN provider so you don’t have to worry in any way about your data being logged.
PureVPN in UK offers a variety of protocols including OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2/IPSec, SoftEther, and WireGuard, which is PureVPN’s fastest protocol.
Upon testing PureVPN in UK, we achieved an average speed of 77 Mbps which is okay enough to stream on your favorite platform without buffers.
For testing its security, you can even get a PureVPN free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you opt for the 2-year plan, you will only have to pay GBP 1.66 ($1.99/mo) and will get access to the “popular websites” menu that allows users to unblock a huge list of streaming platforms, such as Netflix, fuboTV, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Sling TV, and more in UK.
- DDoS Protection Feature in UK
- Covers 78 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall in UK
- Multiple Protocol Support in UK
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Connection issues
- Clunky apps
For more information, check out this full PureVPN review!
Why Do You Need a VPN for Tor in UK?
Tor and VPNs both have their own list of advantages and disadvantages. What if we could combine the two to create something more powerful? Yes, that is very much possible.
Despite being different in many ways, both Tor and VPN in UK use encrypted proxy connections to hide user identities in UK. Typically, there are two configurations for using it: VPN over Tor and Tor over VPN.
When used in conjunction, privacy-conscious users receive maximum anonymity online. The Tor network is very hard to track and coupled with a VPN, you remain invisible in UK.
Which VPNs Tor Users Should Avoid in UK?
Some VPNs in the marketplace can be quite dangerous as well. There have been cases in UK of VPNs injecting tracking cookies and advertisements into your browser, which is quite counterproductive for your online privacy and anonymity. Make sure to avoid these VPNs in UK:
- Turbo VPN: The provider offers no support for Tor in UK users and neither does it have a website. In fact, it just redirects you to a blog post regarding the VPN in UK.
- Hola VPN: Caught using the idle bandwidth of its own customers instead of its services by launching botnet attacks. Plenty of user data was compromised in UK.
- Setup VPN: A suspicious VPN from the first sight, this option is not at all trustworthy and keeps extensive activity/connection logs in UK.
- Dot VPN: Another VPN service in UK that has been caught recording session/connection logs of users. They are the least bit reliable.
Methodology to Select the Best VPN for Tor in UK
When choosing a VPN for Tor in UK , there are certain features you should look for:
- Security: the most important thing is that the VPN in UK encrypts your traffic so that your ISP or anyone else cannot see that you’re using Tor in UK. Key features include AES 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, a strict no-logs policy, and advanced protocols, keep an eye for the OpenVPN or IKEv2 protocol.
- Speed: Tor is already slow, so you don’t want to use a VPN that will make it even slower. A good VPN for Tor in UK should have fast servers in multiple countries. Go for a reputable VPN provider that doesn’t throttle your speed.
- Server Count: the more servers a VPN has, the better. That way you can always connect to a fast server and avoid any congestion. Make sure your provider in UK offers obfuscation servers that are optimized enough to bypass stubborn streaming services algorithms.
- Streaming Support: since you’ll be using Tor for streaming in UK , it’s important that your VPN can unblock popular streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and others.
- Compatibility: you should be able to use your VPN with all your devices. A good VPN in UK will offer dedicated apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and even routers.
- Customer Support: when you’re using a VPN, things can go wrong. That’s why it’s important to have a provider in UK that offers excellent customer support in case you need any help.
- Pricing: last but not least, make sure the VPN in UK you choose is affordable and offers a money-back guarantee so that you can try it risk-free.
VPN Over Tor vs Tor Over VPN
Privacy-conscious users often face the dilemma of either choosing the right configuration for their security and anonymity online. Today, I’ll be discussing the differences between the two!
VPN over Tor in UK
This configuration involves connecting first to the Tor network and then a VPN server in UK, before exploring the internet, meaning that your IP address is that of the VPN server. Not many providers support this config, but it offers the best security as compared to any other protocol or service.
Since you connect to a VPN server through Tor, it is impossible for anyone to see your real IP address in UK. If you sign up with an anonymous payment option like Bitcoin, it will be impossible to trace any activity back to you.
Therefore, you enjoy completely secure streaming and P2P/File sharing. This config also bypasses all blocks on Tor exit nodes, while allowing you to choose different servers for bypassing geo-restrictions imposed by websites around the world.
Tor over VPN in UK
This configuration involves connecting to the VPN server first and then the Tor Network, before exploring the internet, meaning that your IP is that of the Tor exit node in UK.
This prevents ISPs from knowing that you are using Tor with the entry node not being able to see your true IP, which can go a long way if you are using a VPN with a no-logs policy. You can also easily access Tor hidden services/.onion websites.
However, where there are benefits, you do have to face some risks too. Using the Tor through VPN in UK configuration could reveal the IP address to your provider in UK. You will have zero protection against malicious threats, as non-https traffic may pass the exit nodes. Sometimes Tor exit nodes may be blocked, causing hindrances in cloaking your identity completely.
|Feature||VPN over Tor||Tor over VPN|
Tor Network vs. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
Tor is the ultimate browser for those who want to leverage the utmost level of anonymity online in UK It is designed to encrypt and protect all sent/received data, with all traffic being routed through thousands of notes around the world. It has its own list of pros/cons, which include:
Advantages of Tor to use in UK
- Free Browser – Cross-Platform Compatibility. Available on Windows, Mac, and GNU/Linux.
- Global Network – It is impossible to trace one’s identity or perform a hacking attempt.
- Complete Anonymity – Nobody can see your internal IP or trace you to external IPs visited.
Disadvantages of Tor to use in UK
- Slow Speeds – Data passes through thousands of nodes across the world, hindering performance.
- P2P/File Sharing Not Suitable – Slow speeds make downloading torrents incredibly painful.
- Reveals the Usage of “Tor” – The browser does not hide the usage of tor in the eyes of websites.
VPNs are quite similar to the Tor Network, but it adopts a different protocol for encrypting internet traffic. Your information passes through a secure server that boasts strong ciphers for anonymity, hence allowing you to hide your identity and activity from ISPs and government agencies.
Advantages of VPN in UK
- Faster Speeds – In comparison to Tor, VPNs in UK offer fast speeds and overall performance.
- Location Spoofing – The availability of different servers around the world allows for cloaking identity.
- Ideal P2P/File Sharing – VPNs offer P2P-supported servers in UK with Split Tunneling and SOCKS5 Proxy.
- Unblocking Websites – Encrypting and location shifting allows for unblocking of geo-restricted sites in UK.
Disadvantages of VP in UK
- Premium Services are Expensive – Most VPNs are not free and boast expensive monthly pricing.
- Logging of Data – The law of many countries urges providers in UK to keep records of user activity.
Best VPN for Tor in UK: FAQs
When it comes to using the best VPNs for Tor in UK, many thoughts might arise about how it can protect your identity or boost your security. Among the most common queries, we get asked, include:
What is Tor?
Short for “The Onion Router”, Tor was initially developed for the U.S. Navy on 20th September 2002. It featured a global network of servers that allowed people to browse the internet securely and anonymously. Now, the product has turned towards the non-profit division.
Is Tor Legal in UK?
Just using Tor to browse the internet is not illegal in UK. Anyone can use Tor to explore the internet. It is completely legal, however, many use Tor for the anonymity
How Tor Works in UK?
Tor has a decentralized network, which offers several layers of protection for user data in UK. It directs internet traffic through an overlay of servers around the world that consist of more than seven thousand relays. This allows for the proper concealing of a user’s location.
Is Tor Browser a VPN in UK?
No Tor is not exactly a VPN, but it does bear a resemblance, as it uses encrypted proxy connections to hide user identities. It passes all your data through thousands of nodes around the world, each of which is aware of the IP address in front and not behind it.
What’s the difference between Tor and a VPN?
The main difference between Tor and a VPN is the way they work. A VPN or virtual private network encrypts or routes your traffic using a server network maintained by a centralized body (For suppose your VPN provider) and Tor is a decentralized network that is being operated by volunteers.
Is Tor better than a VPN in UK?
Tor is better than a VPN in UK for the reason that it is impossible to trace a Tor connection to its original user. Other than that, it depends on your online activities. Tor can help you avoid geo-restrictions and keep your online identity safe. However, it has a limit on video viewing and browsing.
Can I use TOR on Android in UK?
Tor does indeed offer an Android version in UK for users to enjoy on their smartphones. It goes by the name “Orbot”, which provides strong encryption of internet traffic for maximum security. Simply connect to your VPN in UK and then open the Tor browser for maximum anonymity online.
Is Tor better with a VPN in UK?
Tor is definitely better with a VPN in UK. Using Tor over VPN hides your online traffic in such a way that not even your provider can see what you’re up to.
Is there a free VPN for Tor in UK?
ProtonVPN is a trustworthy free VPN in UK. It is the best free VPN for Tor in UK as it offers 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy. There is no limit on bandwidth. You can access 3 server locations and the kill switch feature is available.
What happens if you use Tor without a VPN in UK?
Tor is designed to work without a VPN. Its onion routing protocol makes it harder for anyone to track the origin of data. However, using Tor with a VPN in UK will further enhance your security and privacy in UK.
Can Tor be used on Android in UK?
Tor Browser for Android is the only official mobile browser in UK supported by the Tor Project. Tor can be installed on any Android phone or tablet. It blocks ads and keeps third parties away from snooping on your online activities in UK.
Wrapping Things Up
We hope this guide helps you find the best VPN for Tor in UK, based on your privacy needs and budgetary requirements. Regardless, if you face any trouble, do not hesitate on commenting below. Also, feel free to list down any suggestions you deem reliable for use on Tor in UK. Have a nice day!