How to Get American Netflix in Australia [Updated 2022]
Undoubtedly, Netflix has revolutionized the way we watch our favorite movies/TV shows. It is sad though when you realize the VoD tries its best to limit the content available in varied regions!
Sure enough, they have their reasons; obtaining licenses from production houses for viewership outside the US is difficult. This leaves people like us with no option, but to look for workarounds, to circumvent these restrictions to watch US Netflix Content in Australia.
How to Get American Netflix in Australia?
Here’s how to get American Netflix in Australia following five easy steps:
- Subscribe to a premium Netflix VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN for its blazing-fast US servers).
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Sign in to your account and connect to a US server from the list (Recommended: New York Server).
- Head to Netflix and log into your account.
- That’s it. You have successfully got American Netflix in Australia now!
Quick Tip: To access American Netflix in Australia, it’s important to check out the subscription method!
What are the Best VPNs to Get American Netflix in Australia?
After testing 50+ VPNs on the availability of reliable US servers, fast connection speeds, and other factors, I found 3 best VPNs to get American Netflix in Australia. Check out the features of each VPN in detail:
ExpressVPN: Best VPN to Get American Netflix in Australia
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to get American Netflix in Australia because of its consistently-fast connection speeds, most reliable US servers, and a unique MediaStreamer DNS feature.
Among many other premium features, ExpressVPN has 3000+ high-speed servers across 94+ countries worldwide with multiple servers located in 15+ US cities.
The most impressive bit about ExpressVPN is its highly-unqiue MediaStreamer feature that allows you to watch American Netflix in Australia on your VPN-incompatible devices, such as Apple TV. You just have to set up the MediaStreamer and begin streaming exclusive series.
I connected to the New York Server to unblock the American version of Netflix and had a buffering-free streaming experience in HD-quality.
Other than this, ExpressVPN consistently and reliably unblocked Netflix and many other streaming platforms such as Hulu and Disney Plus.
The ExpressVPN speed test showed that it’s super fast. I got consistent connection speeds on nearby and even distant servers with 89.42 Mbps download speed and 84.64 Mbps upload speed.
The speed test confirmed that ExpressVPN is undoubtedly one of the best Netflix VPNs.
You can rely on ExpressVPN for unmatched security of your sensitive information because it uses AES-256-bit encryption, which is the military standard. This means that ExpressVPN is impenetrable with its encryption standards. The secure VPN protocols further add to user’s online protection.
ExpressVPN offers dedicated applications for iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. You can even set it up on router and exceed the 5 simultaneous device connection limit.
The price point of $/mo might be a bit too much for some users, but you can simply leevrage its 30-day refund guarantee and watch US Netflix in Australia free!
For more details, check out an in-depth ExpressVPN review!
Surfshark: Affordable VPN for Netflix America in Australia
Surfshark is an affordable VPN to American Netflix in Australia because it only costs $2.49/mo.
Additionally, Surfshark offers 3200+ servers across 65+ countries, including 600+ VPN servers in over 25 US cities, equipped with USPs like MultiHop, CleanWeb (Ad/Tracker Blocker) features.
My rigorous tests have confirmed that Surfshark works with Netflix. Majority of the US servers worked seamlessly including Phoenix, Miami, Buffalo, and Atlanta. I did not encounter any Netflix Site Errors and had an HD streaming experience.
Here I have connected to the Chicago server to access the American library of Netflix within seconds.
My Netflix speed tests also revealed minimal less loss in download and upload speeds. I was able to browse all content available in the Netflix USA library and stream each title smoothly in Australia.
I managed to record 52.42 Mbps upload speed and 86.48 Mbps download speed while connected to the Chicago server.
Similar to ExpressVPN, you can unblock many streaming services with Surfshark. During my tests, I also unblocked Disney+ without any hassle.
When it comes to compatibility with devices and operating platforms, Surfshark does not disappoint. You can easily use Surfshark on Android, iOS, Windows, and Linux devices. Besides this, you get unlimited simultaneous connections which means you can protect all your devices at once and access American Netflix in Australia on your favorite device.
Even though you get cost-effective subscription plans, Surfshark is backed by a 30-day money-back gauarantee too. This means you can test and cancel Surfshark within 30 days and not lose your money.
For more details, check out an in-depth Surfshark review!
NordVPN: Largest Server Network to Watch US Netflix in Australia
NordVPN is an excellent option to watch US Netflix in Australia because it has a vast server network of 5600+ servers in 59+ countries, including 1970+ servers in 15 US locations. This lets you unblock the US version of Netflix without any hassle.
Besides the fast and responsive US servers, you can expect maximum online protection with NordVPN with features like Onion over VPN, dedicated IP addresses, and an audited no-logs policy. You also get robust security features like obfuscated servers, CyberSec, and DoubleVPN that add to a user’s security while watching the American version of Netflix in Australia.
If you’re someone bored of Australian Netflix TV shows, then simply connect to a server location in the US. To watch US Netflix in Australia using NordVPN, I connected to the United States #5612 server and had a hassle-free streaming experience.
For unblocking purposes, I contacted NordVPN for their best servers to bypass Netflix VPN ban and they replied to me with a huge server listing. I tested 5 of them randomly and they worked smoothly. This further confirmed that NordVPN is definitely one of the best streaming VPNs.
After the rigorous tests, I can confidently say that NordVPN works with Netflix.
NordVPN is compatible with almost all the major platforms and devices including iOS and Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can even use NordVPN with game consoles and enjoy a hassle-free streaming experience on every device.
You get a 30-day money-back guarantee with NordVPN. If you’re not exactlty satisfied, simply cancel NordVPN and claim a refund. The refund period is greta for testing the service risk-free and see if it aligns with your needs.
For more details, check out an in-depth NordVPN review!
Why Do I Need a VPN to Get American Netflix in Australia?
You need a VPN to get American Netflix in Australia because Netflix enforces geo-restrictions that let you watch limited content depending on your geograpchical location. Additionally, Netflix has specific media distribution policies and licensing agreements with different countries, therefore you will not be able to get the American version of Netflix in Australia.
Although Netflix is available in 190+ countries across the globe, the content catalog varies from one country to another. This is why you cannot stream many popular Netflix shows and movies on American Netflix while being in Australia. Netflix has advanced location-detection bots that track user IP addresses and restrict access to the content unavailable in that country.
A VPN works by masking your actual IP address and swaping it with a temporary IP. When you access Netflix while connected to a US server location, you are assigned a US IP address triggering the IP-detection system and automatically redirecting you to the US version of Netflix. Similarly, a German IP address lets you access German Netflix. Using a VPN, you can trick the IP tracking system and unblock regional Netflix libraries easily. In this case, you’ll be unblocking US Netflix in Australia.
How to Get American Netflix on Different Devices in Australia?
Getting American Netflix on different devices in Australia is extremely simple. The upcoming section covers how you can get the US version of Netflix and rid yourself of Australian series in Netflix for a change.
You’ll find setp-by-step guides for the following devices:
- Get US Netflix in Australia on iPhone/iPad
- Get US Netflix in Australia on Android
- Get American Netflix in Australia on Amazon FireStick/Fire TV
- Get American Netflix in Australia on Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, PlayStation, and Xbox
How to Get American Netflix in Australia on iPhone/iPad?
To get American Netflix in Australia on iPhone/iPad, follow these steps:
- Sign up for a reliable VPN service (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app for your iOS device.
- Log in and connect to a US server (Recommended: New York Server).
- Ensure that the location on your iOS device is turned off.
- Open Netflix to access American Netflix TV shows in Australia!
How to Get American Netflix in Australia on Android?
Here’s how to get American Netflix in Australia on Android:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN service (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on Android.
- Log in and connect to a US server (Recommended: New York Server).
- Ensure that your location is turned off on your Android device.
- Tap open the Netflix app and get ready to binge-watch US Netflix in Australia!
How to Get American Netflix in Australia on Amazon FireStick/Fire TV?
Follow these simple steps to get American Netflix in Australia on Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV:
- Sign up for a reliable Netflix VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to a US server location (Recommended: New York Server).
- Make sure all the location services are turned off on your device.
- Head to the Netflix app and sign in to your account.
- Start streaming American Netflix in Australia on your Fire Stick/Fire TV!
How to Get American Netflix in Australia on Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, PlayStation, and Xbox?
To get American Netflix in Australia on Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, PlayStation and Xbox, you will have to manually configure a VPN on your router or use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature. It’s because these devices do not support VPN apps natively, making it slightly difficult to access American Netflix in Australia.
Here’s how to get American Netflix in Australia on VPN-incompatible devices using the MediaStreamer feature:
- Set up MediaStreamer by visiting the ExpressVPN DNS setup page.
- Enter the verification code sent to your email.
- Select Register my IP address under IP address registration.
- Enable Automatically register my IP address on.
- Visit the ExpressVPN setup page to get your MediaStreamer server IP address.
- On your device, go to Settings > Network.
- Configure your DNS by manually entering the MediaStreamer IP address and restarting your device.
- Start streaming American Netflix in Australia!
How to Get American Netflix in Australia Using Chrome Extensions?
Here’s how to get US Netflix in Australia with Chrome extensions:
- Download the Chrome extension of your subscribed VPN service (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Navigate to Settings and delete cookies.
- Restart Chrome and connect to a US server location (Recommended: New York Server).
- Visit Netflix and start watching American Netflix in AU with a Chrome extension!
How Do I Subscribe to American Netflix in Australia?
To subscribe to American Netflix in Australia, follow these simple steps:
- Sign up for a premium Netflix VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Get the VPN app for your device.
- Log in to your account and connect to a US server (Recommended: New York Server).
- Visit the Netflix sign up page.
- Select a plan that’s right for you.
- Choose a payment method and enter your payment details.
- Enter your email address and password to create a Netflix account.
- You have successfully subscribed to US Netflix in Australia!
How Can I Get American Netflix in Australia for Free?
Unfortunately, you cannot get American Netflix in Australia for free. You’ll require a trustworthy VPN subscription like ExpressVPN and an active Netflix membership to watch US Netflix in Australia.
Is Netflix Blocked in Australia?
No, Netflix is not blocked in Australia. Netflix US has a more extensive content catalog as compared to the titles you’ll find on Netflix Australia. Sadly, you’ll only be able to access the local version of Netflix in Australia due to broadcasting rights and geographical restrictions.
The simplest solution to bypass the tough geo-blocks is subscribing to a premium VPN service such as ExpressVPN. This lets you watch your favorite shows on Netflix US while being in Australia.
FAQs: US Netflix in Australia
What does Netflix US have that AU doesn’t?
Netflix US has many popular shows that are absent from the Australian version like Grey’s Anatomy, Criminal Minds, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, NCIS, The Walking Dead, and the New Girl.
How much is Netflix USA in Australia?
There are three Netflix subscription plans starting from Basic which costs US$ 7.01/month (AU$ 10.99/month). The Standard plan costs US$ 10.84/month (AU$ 16.99/month) and the Premium plan costs US$ 14.66/month (AU$ 22.99/month).
How do I change my Netflix from Australian to American?
You can change your Netflix from Australian to American by following these simple steps:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN service (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Connect to a US server (Recommended: New York Server).
- Open Netflix to access the Australian version of Netflix in America.
Is it legal to get American Netflix in Australia?
Yes, it is legal to get American Netflix in Australia. However, Netflix discourages the use of smart DNS or VPNs to change your location and unblock different regional libraries because of its specific licensing agreements. Therefore, it’s advisable to use a secure VPN service like ExpressVPN to access Netflix America in Australia.
Is US Netflix different to Australia?
Yes, US Netflix is different from Netflix Australia. Where US Netflix has a massive library of 5,500+ titles, Australian viewers get to access around 38% of it only. There are many titles absent from the AU Netflix library such as Frasier and Breaking Bad.
Wrapping Things Up
Now that you’ve made it to the end, you probably know how to get American Netflix in Australia. It’s as easy as it can be as long as you have a premium VPN subscription like ExpressVPN. I recommend using ExpressVPN as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee and streaming-optimized servers.
Once you have the VPN subscription, you just have to connect to a US server and log in to your Netflix account. When you tap open Netflix while connected to a VPN server location, you’ll see an endless list of tempting Netflix titles. In this case, you’ll unblock US Netflix Australia without any hassle.