How to Setup L2TP VPN Connection On Mac OS X?
Want to set up the L2TP protocol on your Mac OS? It’s pretty simple and anyone can do it! Here’s a quick guide on setting it up!
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Here, you’ll find the network icon, click on it.
- Now you will see It generally is located on the lower left side of the popup menu. Click on this icon to generate a new network interface through a drop-down list.
- Now select a VPN for Mac.
- Now a drop-down list will appear in front of you. This list shows the protocols that can be configured in the system. And since we are here to setup L2TP, select it from the list over IPsec.
- Do you see a service name text box here? Here you need to type in a name for your new VPN connection. It would be best if you write “L2TP firebox” in that box to proceed further.
- See the option for creating? Click on it and the settings for your VPN connection will appear in front of you.
Mac OS Sierra PPTP VPN
The PPTP is not available on Mac OS Sierra or higher as Apple retracted its support on the protocol because of its high-security vulnerabilities and the availability of better protocols, but that doesn’t mean people won’t need it, so there are still ways to install it and get through despite no inbuilt support.
For PPTP support, you would need an external VPN client like Shimo, which is paid, but there are options like Flow VPN which are free for anyone to deploy and use.
Since most users won’t go for a service like Shimo which costs a whopping $55 for dedicated PPTP protocol support on MAC, here’s how you can install PPTP using a free to use an external client like Flow VPN:
- Go to their website and see the section for “Download for MAC”.
- Now you will find a .dmg file which you need to download.
- This file now needs to be dragged to applications.
- Now start running FlowVPN connect.
- Enter your VPN IP address or select from the drop-down list that appears here.
- You need to enter your VPN username and password so that your entry can be authenticated.
- PPTP will now appear in the list of supported protocols, select it and click on Connect.