How to Setup ExpressVPN on Apple TV: A Novice User’s Guide
ExpressVPN for Apple TV
Apple TV is the go-to streaming box for any Apple device users including those for iPads, iPhones and every the famed Apple iPod.
The only issue is that except for a few regions, apps installed on the Apple TV may not work due to geographical limitations.
As such, Apple TV devices bought from USA, UK, Canada, Australia and some European countries will not work if accessed from any non-compliant countries.
Generally, the solution to avoid being blocked & geo-restricted is using a reliable VPN service for your Apple TV.
ExpressVPN is one such service that allows for the unblocking of apps, paving the way for a whole new world of entertainment.
How to Setup ExpressVPN on Apple TV
A VPN cannot be set up directly onto an Apple TV device and requires you to manually configure a VPN connection on a router.
While detailed FAQs to setup routers for AppleTV devices are available on the brilliant ExpressVPN support page, here is a simple step-by-step process:
- Configure ExpressVPN via their infamous router app
- Go to either IPLocation or WhatIsMyIP
- Make sure the Apple TV device is turned off and not connected to the WI-FI
- Once your router is configured connect the Apple TV to the WI-FI
- You should now be able to access all blocked apps depending on the VPN server connected
How to Use Express VPN on Apple TV without Router
In case you are unsure about configuring your router, there is an easier way to setup ExpressVPN for Apple TV devices. AirPlay or Screen Mirroring is available on all Apple TV devices. To activate AirPlay on Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Go to your Apple TV Settings > AirPlay > and click ON
- Make sure your Apple TV and Apple device (Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod) is connected to the same Wi-Fi
- On the bottom of your Apple device go to the Control Center > then tap AirPlay
- Your Apple TV device will show in the next list, tap it
- Tap on the Mirroring option, your Apple TVscreen should show the content on your devices
Now, you will be required to install ExpressVPN on your Apple device (apps are available for both Mac & iOS devices). To download the app for all your devices, simply visit their official website.
How To Use ExpressVPN On Apple TV 4th Generation
ExpressVPN offers innate support for setting up niche devices in a far better manner than other VPN providers. If it doesn’t have a dedicated VPN client still for the device, it will provide an easy-t0-understand setup guide.
Similarly, the BVI-based provider offers great support for setting up a VPN your Apple TV 4th generation device. Here is this guide explained in step by step form below:
- To do this you need to register your unique DDNS hostname. A third party service works best for this purpose
- Dynu is a service through which you can register this unique DDNS hostname and its highly streamlined and easy to use. We are using it for reference here, but you are free to choose whatever service you deem the best for this task
- Register an account with Dynu.com. Signup is free so you wont encounter any major steps other than entering your relevant sign up details like your email address
- Go to your email account and verify the Dynu account you just created by clicking on the verification link provided in an email sent to you
- You will have your Dynu account’s username and password. Use it to log in to your Dynu account
- Now proceed to Control Panel > DDNS Services
- Here you will see a blue button on the top right corner saying “Add” click on this
- Now you will be presented with two options i.e. either “Use our domain Name” in which you can use any name you want for identifying your DDNS server with or enter your existing domain name (If you have one beforehand). Select any one depending on your present by clicking/tapping on “Add”
- Disable the default “Wildcard Alias” option and select “Enable IPV6 Address” and then click on “Save”
- Your Dynu account is now validated and you can proceed further
- Now to go to ExpressVPN.com and log in to your user account
- Choose the option for “DNS Settings” from the top bar
- Find the option for “Dynamic DNS Registration” by scrolling down. Now click on it and enter the new hostname you just created with Dynu.com
- If you already had an existing domain name, enter it directly here but if you opted for the option of “Use our Domain Name” at Dynu, then you will need to enter this hostname by putting the suffix “.Dynu.com”.
- Save the hostname by clicking on the option for “Save Hostname”
- ExpressVPN will notify the new hostname registration with a new prompt that says “Updated”
- Now you need to go back to the main menu on ExpressVPN and then go to “My Subscription” by selecting from the top menu bar
- Select “Setup ExpressVPN” > “Apple TV”
- Now, you will be seeing a DNS server IP address appear in a box on the lower right corner of the page. Copy it somewhere as you will be needing it later on
- Launch your AppleTV
- Go to Settings > Network
- Click on “Ethernet” or “Wifi” option appearing on top of your screen
- Now click on “Configure DNS” > Manual
- You will now be seeing your current IP address on the screen, change it with the server IP address that you noted down from ExpressVPN.com
- Before you change the IP address, do note down the original one in case you need to revert back your settings to the original state
- Click on “Done”
- Now select “Settings” > “System”
- Tap on “Restart” as this will make your AppleTV move over to the new IP address
- Now you can easily bypass geo-restrictions on multiple sites and stay secure online with ExpressVN on yout AppleTV
How to Unblock Netflix on Apple TV via ExpressVPN
Accessing Netflix on Apple TV via ExpressVPN does not require any rocket science. After you have configured the VPN on your router, simply connect to a server located in the US.
Below is a list of some “working” servers I tested that smoothly unblock the streaming platform and the entire content library, loaded with a huge list of TV shows and movies:
5 Working Servers for Netflix US
- Los Angeles 5 (Ultra HD)
- New Jersey 3 (Ultra HD)
- Los Angeles 4 (Ultra HD)
- New Jersey 1 (Ultra HD)
- New York 2 (Ultra HD)
People Also Ask
What is a Mediastreamer?
A Mediastreamer is a device that can allow you to play anything from music to videos to movies and other forms of media that is stored outside the device.
These kind of devices are becoming increasingly popular due to the incredible access they provide to users of much greater libraries of media files than they could possibly store on natural storage devices.
What is a Dynamic DNS Services?
A DDNS or a dynamic DNS service allows your computer to easily change or swap IP addresses making it a whole lot easier for you to access multiple websites without any interruptions.
ExpressVPN DNS On Apple TV
The primary method of setting up ExpressVPN on Apple TV is through manually changing the IP address via a domain name server configuration process. The setup guide on how to accomplish this with ease is mentioned above in detail.
How Do I Change the DNS Settings on My Apple TV?
Changing your DNS settings on Apple TV is not difficult at all. Here’s how you can do it too within minutes:
- From the main menu of your Apple TV, click on the Settings icon.
- Launch on your Apple TV and click on General > Network.
- Click on either “Wifi” or “Ethernet” depending on the network you are using.
- Go to Network > DNS > Manual.
- Enter a different DNS address from your VPN or any other service.
- (Do note the original one down in case you need to revert back to the original settings)
- Click “Done” and you are now using your Apple TV through a different IP Address.
Wrapping Things Up
With this, I come to an end of this Apple TV configuration guide for ExpressVPN. I hope my instructions prove helpful to the viewers, yet if you encounter any problem, do not hesitate on dropping a comment below. Have a nice day! 🙂