NordVPN for Mac – 3 Minutes Setup Guide for Novice Users
Have you ever tried to use NordVPN for Mac? If you are a Mac user, we have good news for you because here’s an in-depth review on how it performs with Mac!
If you want to protect your data and privacy online or live in a country where specific sites are blocked, getting the best VPN is the way to go. However, so many options are available that it can be hard to choose the best VPN for Mac.
After extensive research, I consider NordVPN an excellent option for Mac users because of its solid security, fast connection speeds, and compatibility with Apple Silicon M1 and M2 Macs. Let’s dive in to know more about the NordVPN Mac combination!
NordVPN for Mac Review
With over 5600+ servers in 59+ countries, NordVPN can easily handle high traffic volumes and quickly switch to any other server if one fails. One of our favorite things about NordVPN is the SmartPlay feature that combines the features of a VPN and smart DNS, unblocking geo-restricted streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.
At first glance, the NordVPN Mac application looks identical to its Windows and Linux counterparts because of the standard blue color. Here’s a quick look at NordVPN features that impact its performance on Mac devices:
NordVPN Mac App
NordVPN has a very easy-to-use Mac app that you can install on your Mac. NordVPN Mac app has two versions for macOS users – the IKE version available on the Mac app store and an OpenVPN that can be downloaded from NordVPNs website.
NordVPN offers good support for a variety of operating systems: iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux. What’s more, you can use it on 6 different devices simultaneously.
NordVPN is compatible with macOS Sierra 10.12, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, macOS 10.14 Mojave, macOS 10.15 Catalina, and macOS 11 Big Sur. The tests confirmed that the NordVPN app can easily be used on different Mac devices, including Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, and iMac.
The NordVPN speed test confirmed that it does not slow down your online activities. Just a click and you are already connected to a remote server, so you can enjoy the internet without restrictions and bandwidth limits by using NordVPN for Mac.
NordVPN Mac app offers two options: WireGuard and OpenVPN, and we tested both to get an overview of the speed you can expect. WireGuard gave us a good experience virtually all the time, with just one or two drops in speed according to our tests. While OpenVPN was a little slower but still generally delivered above-average speeds.
With such connection speeds, you can use NordVPN for torrenting files at fast speeds.
NordVPN is a step ahead of other VPNs available for Mac regarding security. It has switched to the OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec protocols, while many other VPNs still use L2TP/IPsec and PPTP.
L2TP/IPsec and PPTP are no longer secure as they used to be; new protocols have replaced them. However, NordVPN was one of the first companies to replace them with a more secure protocol called OpenVPN. The NordVPN software uses OpenVPN along with a powerful AES-256-CBC key and 2048-bit encryption.
Moreover, during our testing period, we found that NordVPN incorporates a “Double lock” feature that routes your traffic through two VPN servers, which means no one can decrypt your data and invade your privacy.
NordVPN is a significant advantage over other VPNs as it’s based in Panama. It is important because Panama has no agreements on communication interception and information sharing.
As a result, NordVPN has a distinct legal advantage in securing customer privacy. NordVPN’s strict “No Logs” policy is the first one that’s been audited. So you can be sure your data is neither logged nor shared with any third party.
CyberSec is another excellent feature that prevents ads and pop-ups from appearing on your browser. These sites can pose a threat to your data and may insert malware into your Mac, but with NordVPN’s CyberSec, they are blocked in real time.
NordVPN offers some of the most significant discounts in the industry. You can get 3 months free on a 2-year plan for just $3.99/mo . It’s a good value considering how well NordVPN performs compared to other VPNs in terms of performance, security, stability, and a number of servers.
NordVPN also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can claim a refund if unsatisfied by simply opting to cancel NordVPN. This also lets you try out free NordVPN and experience all the premium VPN features.
How Do I Set up NordVPN on my Mac?
Setting up a NordVPN on Mac is quick and easy. Follow these steps to get started:
- Download the NordVPN app for Mac from the official website.
- Sign up and then log in to your NordVPN account.
- Open the app and Quick Connect to a server
Quick Tip: If you want to connect to a specific location, select that country on the map or scroll down and choose one. Press ‘Quick Connect’, and NordVPN will automatically pick the best server for you.
NordVPN IKEv2 Mac (Manual Connection Method)
One of the ways to connect to NordVPN servers on macOS is via the IKEv2/IPSec connection method. It will connect you securely and is a preferred choice amongst privacy enthusiasts and Apple alike. Follow the steps mentioned below for the NordVPN Mac manual setup:
- Download the IKEv2 certificate for your Mac.
- Open the certificate from the “Downloads” folder directly.
- An “Add Certificates” popup will appear. Click on “Add”.
- Select “Get Info” after right-clicking the NordVPN Root CA.
- Click on “Always Trust” next to “When using this certificate”.
- Enter the credentials to your Mac laptop and click on OK.
- Click on the “Apple” icon and then select “System Preferences”.
- Choose the “Network” option and then click on the “+” icon.
- Select VPN for ‘Interface’ from the drop-down menu and select IKEv2 for ‘VPN Type. Enter a name for the new service in the ‘Service Name field and click Create.
- Adjust the settings for the new VPN connection. Insert the hostname of a NordVPN server in the ‘Server Address’ and ‘Remote ID’ fields.
- Click on “Authentication Settings” and enter NordVPN credentials.
- Hit the “Connect” button and enjoy using NordVPN for Mac.
There you go! You should now be able to connect to your VPN. If you have checked the show VPN status in the menu bar box, you’ll be able to connect to your VPN from the status bar.
How Do I Use NordVPN on PS4 with Mac?
Following these simple steps will help you use NordVPN on PS4 via your Mac:
- Install NordVPN.
- Attach an Ethernet cable to the back of your Mac and the PS4.
- Go to System Preferences, click Sharing, and select Internet Sharing on your Mac.
- From the drop-down menu, select Wi-Fi.
- From the ‘To computers using‘ list, ensure Ethernet is ticked.
- To enable sharing your internet connection between your Mac and PS4, check the box to the left of Internet Sharing on the list. A green icon will be displayed if the connection is successful.
- Open the VPN software on your Mac and connect to your chosen server.
- On your PS4, go to Settings, then Network Settings.
- Click ‘Set Up Internet Connection,’ select ‘Use a LAN Cable,’ and then choose the Easy connection method.
- Select ‘Do Not Use a Proxy Server‘ when prompted.
- Your PS4 should now be connected to NordVPN, and you can enjoy your gaming.
How Do I Change the NordVPN Protocol on my Mac?
You can switch NordVPN protocol on Mac by following these easy steps:
- Click on the Settings menu at the top left corner of the NordVPN app.
- Select the General tab.
- Switch to your preferred NordVPN protocol by clicking on the ‘VPN Protocol’ option.
Why is NordVPN Not Working on Mac?
If NordVPN is not working on Mac, these tips can help:
- NordVPN may be down on your selected server so try at least a few different NordVPN servers.
- Log out of your account and log back into the NordVPN app.
- Uninstall the app, reboot your device, install the app again and try connecting again.
- If you’re using a computer, disable any antivirus or firewall software that might be active, as it can interfere with the VPN.
- Switch to a different connection method/protocol for your device.
Is NordVPN Safe to Use on Mac?
Yes, using a NordVPN on Mac is entirely safe and even recommended for increasing your online security. Its AES-256-bit encryption, double VPN, kill switch, and OpenVPN protocols offer advanced protection to Mac users. NordVPN’s no-logs policy keeps your data and personal information safe from hackers.
NordVPN’s OpenVPN is widely recognized as the most secure protocol, and we highly recommend using it.
How Do I Turn off NordVPN on Mac?
Here’s how you can turn off NordVPN on your Mac:
- Go to System Preferences, and select Network.
- Select your VPN connection from the left panel.
- Click Disconnect.
What is NordLynx Mac?
With advanced encryption technology and quick connection speeds, NordLynx is a next-generation VPN protocol. It can be downloaded on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS and provides strong protection without compromising internet speed. You can follow these steps to get NordLynx for macOS:
- Install the NordVPN application for macOS from the App Store.
- Go to the app settings in the bottom left corner.
- Select General.
- Choose NordLynx, in the VPN Protocol menu.
NordVPN for Mac: FAQs
What is the best free VPN for Mac?
There are plenty of options for free VPNs for Mac users, but it’s not recommended to use them because of limited features and less protection. One of the most popular free VPNs for Mac is Windscribe. It is free and easy to use but does not guarantee the safety of your data like NordVPN.
How do I remove NordVPN from my Mac?
You can uninstall NordVPN from Mac by following these two simple steps:
- Click the Finder icon in the Dock on your Mac, then click Applications in the Finder sidebar.
- Either ensure that the app’s folder contains an Uninstaller if it is in a folder. Follow the onscreen instructions if Uninstall [App] or [App] Uninstaller is displayed or drag the app to Trash if it’s not in a folder or does not have an Uninstaller.
Does NordVPN work on M1 Mac?
Yes, NordVPN supports the M1 and M2 Apple silicon Macs natively in its latest macOS app.
Is NordVPN good on Mac?
Yes, NordVPN is good on Mac. The robust security features, blazing-fast connection speeds, and compatibility with all macOS are the reasons that make it suitable for Mac.
Does the Mac have a built-in VPN?
No, Mac does not have a built-in VPN. However, the easiest way to get a Mac VPN is to sign up for a specific VPN provider and download the dedicated app on your macOS.
Do you need NordVPN on a Mac?
Yes, NordVPN is necessary for Mac users if they want to protect their online privacy and surf the web without interruptions.
Do I need a VPN with Apple products?
Yes, you need a VPN with Apple products to protect your online privacy. It doesn’t matter which type of products you use – Apple or Windows. You should invest in a VPN if you want to be online securely and anonymously.
How do I use a VPN on Mac?
Using a VPN on Mac is very simple. First, you have to download NordVPN for Mac. Once done, follow the easy steps below to use the VPN app on Mac:
- Find the NordVPN icon in the launchpad and click on it.
- Press “Sign In” and enter your details.
- Connect to the server/location you want from the given list of servers, and you are all set to use a VPN on Mac.
How do I download NordVPN on Mac without the App Store?
You can download NordVPN without the app store from its original website by heading to their download page.
With this guide, you must have gotten the answer to how to use NordVPN on Mac.
There’s no doubt that NordVPN is a good option to protect your internet traffic at all times. NordVPN for Mac is even better as it is easy to use with plenty of servers and a strict no-logs policy. There’s also double VPN encryption and the option of connecting over Tor, which can provide extra security.
Additionally, NordVPN also offers excellent support for all Mac devices, including Mac Mini, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, and many others. Now that you’re at the end, you probably know how simple it is to download NordVPN for Mac.