How to Download Torrents Safely and Anonymously in New Zealand in 2022
It can be risky to download torrents in New Zealand. Whenever you do so over an unsecured internet connection, you take a big risk. You can be harming your devices with viruses and malware if you don’t use enough security. Here you’ll learn how to download torrents safely and anonymously with the best VPN in New Zealand!
I’ve put together a list of simple guidelines for downloading torrents securely and avoiding internet threats in New Zealand. To quickly answer your question, a VPN is the safest bet for secure torrenting. Your real IP address is encrypted and hidden from prying eyes when using a torrenting VPN.
ExpressVPN is the recommended VPN service for secure torrenting in New Zealand. It offers a worldwide network of P2P servers optimized for fast file-sharing. Moreover, you can test ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee to see if it’s the best choice for you. If not, you can easily request a refund.
How to Download Torrents Safely & Anonymously in New Zealand [Easy Guide]
Here’s how to download torrents safely and anonymously in New Zealand following four easy steps:
- Subscribe to a torrenting VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN for its P2P-optimized server network).
- Install the VPN app and connect to a nearby P2P server.
- Select and install a reliable torrent client like BitTorrent, Vuze, or uTorrent.
- Start downloading torrents safely!
Quick Tip: To download torrent with VPN in New Zealand, you should only rely on the best VPNs for downloading torrents to ensure maximum protection online!
How to Download Torrents Anonymously with a VPN in New Zealand [The Ultimate Guide]
Here’s the ultimate guide on how to download torrents with a VPN anonymously in New Zealand:
Step 1: Get a Torrent-Friendly VPN Service in New Zealand
It is highly recommended to use a premium VPN service such as ExpressVPN to torrent safely and anonymously in New Zealand. It protects your data by routing it through private servers. If you do not use a VPN, your sensitive data and other personally-identifying information remain exposed to unwanted third parties.
If you download multiple large files, ISPs may cap download speeds. A VPN makes your traffic anonymous, allowing you to avoid speed limitations.
For safe torrenting, choose a VPN with military-grade encryption. This hides your actual IP address, ensuring an impenetrable connection. Additionally, a premium VPN is backed by a large P2P-optimized server network that lets you quickly download torrents from sites with no bandwidth throttling issues.
Step 2: Keep the VPN Connected
If you forget to connect to your VPN before opening the torrent client, then you risk your online safety in New Zealand. As soon as you open your torrent client, they immediately begin seeding you, exposing your actual IP address. It’s also important to ensure that your torrent client is properly closed before disconnecting the VPN.
Step 3: Install and Download a Torrent Client
If you want to download a torrent, you need a trustworthy torrent client in New Zealand. As a torrent consists of files from multiple locations, you can’t just download it from the internet and be done. A torrent client manages and keeps all the files together, so you can access all the files after downloading.
When choosing a torrent client, it’s advisable to opt for one that’s easy to use and customizable. In addition, the torrent client should give you sufficient control over functionality so you can torrent more safely in New Zealand.
I recommend using the following torrent clients:
- uTorrent: Popular torrent client with a clean and easy-to-use interface. It lets you customize its features to better workability, but it does have ads.
- BitTorrent: Easy-to-use interface that lets you drag and drop files option. This makes it great for people who are just starting. But it also has ads, just like uTorrent.
- Deluge: An open-source client with a lot of different add-ons. This is slightly harder to use.
- qBittorrent: Offers plenty of customization options ad-free. But unfortunately, it doesn’t enable extensions.
Step 4: Configure your Torrent Client and VPN Connection
You don’t need to be concerned about your privacy or safety when torrenting if you appropriately configure your VPN and torrent client in New Zealand. Your connection will be encrypted, and your IP address won’t be exposed to hackers.
ExpressVPN has all of this security and torrent protection but you should activate or modify these settings on any VPN you use:
- Kill Switch: This will disconnect you from the internet if your VPN abruptly stops functioning. Make sure it is switched on since it can be deactivated by default.
- Advanced Protocol: Make sure that OpenVPN is enabled since it is the best protocol for torrenting. It is suitable for torrenting since it provides an excellent balance of speed and security.
- 256-Bit AES Encryption: The safest method for encrypting your data and keeping it protected. This ensures that your data cannot be read by third parties.
- DNS Leak Protection: A DNS leak can accidentally expose your browsing activities to online snoopers and hackers. DNS leak protection feature ensures that.
- Split Tunneling: You may pick which applications make use of your VPN connection and which ones don’t. Although it is not necessary, it might be useful if you wish to continue using your actual IP address for specific websites when torrenting.
Step 5: Install an Antivirus Software
You get an extra layer of protection by installing decent antivirus software in New Zealand as it scans all the downloaded files for any spyware, viruses, or malware. The antivirus software removes all the uncovered files before the problem worsens.
Some of the prominent antivirus software are McAfee, Norton, Avira, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes. Fortunately, they are easy to install and affordable in New Zealand.
Step 6: Select and Download a Torrent File
It is important to download a safe torrent because the wrong one could be full of malware. Hackers usually hide malware in torrents and send them out to cause trouble. So, only download torrents that have been checked to ensure they are safe.
A good place to start is with a trusted torrent site that has been around for a while. Don’t download a torrent from an ambiguous site you found through a Google search, because Google often shows the URLs of fake sites.
Some trustworthy torrent sites in New Zealand are:
- The Pirate Bay
Another problem is that copyright protects a lot of torrents, especially new ones. Since it’s against the law to download them, I don’t recommend them. To stay safe from this threat, it’s best to only download torrents from reputable websites like Public Domain Torrents and Internet Archive.
Once a torrent has been downloaded, check its files, remove any.exe files, and try looking up any unknown file extensions before opening them.
How to Download Torrents Safely & Anonymously on Any Device in New Zealand?
You need to use a reliable VPN service to download torrents securely on any device in New Zealand. I’ll take you through setting up your VPN in these step-by-step instructions so that your torrenting data and device are safe. In the upcoming section, you’ll find steps for the following:
- Download torrents for Windows/Mac/Linux/Android in New Zealand
- Download torrents iPad/iPhone in New Zealand
Windows PC, Mac, Linux, and Android
- Subscribe to a torrent-friendly VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN for its P2P servers that download torrents faster).
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to an appropriate VPN server for torrenting in New Zealand.
- Go to your preferred torrent site and choose a file to download.
iOS (iPhone and iPad)
You’ll have to use an in-browser torrent app to download torrents on iOS as Apple doesn’t let torrent clients on its App Store. Here is the safe way to download torrents on iOS in New Zealand:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN service (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app for your iOS device.
- Connect to a VPN server that supports torrenting in New Zealand.
- Visit the torrent website to find and select the file you want to download.
- Hold the file to “Copy” the link.
- Paste the copied link into an in-built torrent app.
- Click “Go” to start your torrent download on your iOS device!
Additional Tips to Help You Torrent Safely & Anonymously in New Zealand
You may take these additional precautions to experience better safety and anonymity in New Zealand:
- Check out for a high seeder/leecher number. In torrenting, a seeder distributes a complete copy of a file to other users. A leecher, on the other hand, is an individual who downloads such files. A torrent is more likely to be safe due to its frequent activity if it contains a large number of seeders and leechers. Another benefit is that downloading will be quicker.
- Read comments and reviews. Most torrent sites let users post comments and reviews for each download. Take notice of them since they will alert you to any potentially hazardous torrents. But don’t solely depend on this since hackers sometimes post phony remarks to entice suspected.
- Use a private torrent site. These sites only accept users who have been invited, and they constantly monitor their torrents. They function as a group where participants exclusively exchange files with other members. Invitations to popular private torrent sites like IPTorrents and PassThe Popcorn may be gained by participating on websites like Reddit.
- Download your files into an isolated environment. This isolates the files letting you check for viruses without taking any risks. Any virus from leaking and infecting your device is prevented by being sandboxed. Use a simple-to-install and use sandbox tool like Sandboxie to do this. Installing a virtual machine, which functions as a different operating system, on your device is an additional choice.
What are the 5 Best VPNs to Download Torrents in New Zealand in 2022?
I tested 25+ VPNs to find the best VPNs to download torrents in New Zealand based on their security features, optimized P2P servers, and connection speeds. Let’s take a detailed look at each VPN:
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Torrenting Large Files Quickly in New Zealand
Number of Servers: 3000+ | Countries: 94+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Maximum Devices Supported: 5 | Price: NZ$11.87/mo ($6.67/mo)
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest and most secure VPN services available, making it the best VPN for torrenting large files quickly in New Zealand.
Additionally, ExpressVPN allows torrenting on 3000+ servers in more than 94+ countries worldwide including 1 server location in New Zealand, so that you can enjoy its fast connections everywhere.
During my testing, I was able to download torrents swiftly and anonymously, keeping my data safe from hackers and downloading at record speed. No matter which server I connected to, my connection speed scarcely fell from 110Mbps. I could download a film in less than 5 minutes also while downloading a music playlist (which took just 1 minute).
ExpressVPN was as quick when I torrented a 38GB file – it took just 20 minutes to download. There are extremely strict privacy measures in place to provide completely anonymous internet connectivity. This proves that ExpressVPN works for torrenting!
When you switch off the machine, its Trusted Server technology deletes all your data. Your torrenting activities are always untraceable, thanks to the provider’s top-of-the-line encryption.
ExpressVPN’s kill switch protects your data if your VPN connection drops during torrenting. Despite iOS lacking a kill option, I had no connectivity issues throughout testing. ExpressVPN prevents DNS, IP, and WebRTC leaks to keep traffic within the encrypted tunnel. Downloading torrents anonymously protects you from hackers and your ISP.
Moreover, ExpressVPN costs NZ$11.87/mo ($6.67/mo) in New Zealand, a bit more than other VPNs. However, unlimited torrenting is worth the additional money.
The UI and UX are simply amazing on all applications offered by ExpressVPN. You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial in New Zealand for testing the product or avail their 30-day refund policy.
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of ExpressVPN!
2. NordVPN: Largest Server Network for Secure P2P Torrenting in New Zealand
Number of Servers: 5600+ | Countries: 59+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.5 | Maximum Devices Supported: 6 | Price: NZ$7.1/mo ($3.99/mo)
NordVPN has the largest server network for secure P2P torrenting with 5600+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide including 1 server location in New Zealand. Additionally, NordVPN supports P2P on its dedicated servers and provides some of the fastest connection speeds of any service on our list.
We tested NordVPN’s torrenting speeds following two methods. Our rigorous tests started by connecting to one of the specialized P2P servers and doing a basic speed test on Speedtest Fast.
NordVPN‘s no-logging policy means your IP, connection logs, and browsing activity, including torrenting, aren’t retained. Additional security features include an efficient kill switch that shuts down your internet connection to prevent unwanted IP address leaks. The split tunneling feature lets you add your torrenting client to a tunneling list, thus encrypting your P2P traffic only.
Using a torrenting client leaves no trace of what you’ve downloaded, when, or where. To prevent your ISP from recording your torrent activities in New Zealand, keep NordVPN connected at all times. The NordLynx tunneling protocol is a next-gen feature that further adds to NordVPN’s blazing-fast connection speeds.
You get 6-simultaneous connections. The subscriptions begin in New Zealand at NZ$7.1/mo ($3.99/mo), backed by a free trial through a 30-day money-back guarantee and a live chat support option. This further proves that torrenting with NordVPN is a good idea!
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2022 NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Affordable VPN to Download Torrents Safely in New Zealand
Number of Servers: 3200+ | Countries: 65+ | Trustpilot Rating: 4.5 | Maximum Devices Supported: Unlimited | Price: NZ$4.43/mo ($2.49/mo)
Surfshark is the most affordable VPN to download torrents safely because it comes at a mere subscription cost of NZ$4.43/mo ($2.49/mo) in New Zealand. Backed by one of the fastest WireGuard tunneling protocol, you can expect Surfshark to offer a secure and fast torrenting experience across its server network of 3200+ servers in 65+ countries including 1 server location in New Zealand.
Despite having cheap subscription plans in New Zealand, Surfshark does not compromise user privacy. Speeds shouldn’t be an issue because Surfshark offered decent connection speeds on our 100 Mbps connection.
In addition, Surfshark has AES-256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and sophisticated capabilities such as Double VPN and obfuscation technology. Torrenting is also supported on all of its servers. Though Surfshark isn’t ideal for torrenting, it is still a solid option for casual P2P users searching for an all-around VPN.
Surfshark is fast enough for a quality torrenting experience, but it doesn’t compete with the fastest torrenting VPNs on the market, according to our regular torrenting performance testing. When we connected to a VPN server in the same country, we experienced a 15% decrease in performance.
While not the quickest performance we’ve witnessed, it is still rather quick. Connecting to a VPN server in your country safeguards your IP address from being tracked while avoiding the speed reduction associated with an international VPN connection. Long-distance speeds on Surfshark are very impressive. We detected a 41% average speed loss while connecting from the UK to the US. The speed loss while connecting to New Zealand was 40%.
The provider itself offers plenty of advanced features, remarkable speeds, and unblocking capabilities. For testing the service, you even have a Surfshark free trial available on iOS and Android devices. It’s compatible with almost all the major operating platforms in New Zealand like Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. You also get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of Surfshark!
4. CyberGhost: Easy-to-Use VPN to Torrent in New Zealand by Blocking Ads
Number of Servers: 6000+ | Countries: 88 | Trustpilot Rating: 4.6 | Maximum Devices Supported: 7 | Price: NZ$4.08/mo ($2.29/mo)
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is a renowned choice for unblockers and streamers in New Zealand, but it’s a great tool for torrenters as well. For connectivity, users have access to over 6000+ servers in 88 countries worldwide including 1 server location in New Zealand, the largest server network in the industry.
Users even have access to features like 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, and a navigation bar for finding specific servers. You can even use it to bypass blocks and VPNs on Netflix and other popular streaming sites like Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now!
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- 6,200+ Servers in 90 Countries
- 1-Day Free VPN Trial Available
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- Slow Customer Support
For more information, check out this full 2022 CyberGhost review!
5. PureVPN: Secure VPN for P2P Users in New Zealand
Number of Servers: 6500+ | Countries: 78 | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Maximum Devices Supported: 10 | Price: NZ$3.54/mo ($1.99/mo) on a 5-year plan
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and founded in 2007, PureVPN is the best option for budget-hunter torrenters in New Zealand. For the low price, the VPN comes equipped with a huge list of advanced features like built-in encryption, DNS Leak Protection, Automatic Kill Switch, and more.
For connectivity, users have access to a network infrastructure of 6500+ servers in 78 countries worldwide including 1 server location in New Zealand. As far as privacy is concerned, PureVPN has been audited by Altius IT. For testing its security, you can even get a PureVPN free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- DDoS Protection Feature
- 3,200+ Servers in 140 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple Protocol Support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of PureVPN!
Why is a VPN Necessary for Safe Torrenting in New Zealand?
A VPN is necessary for safe torrenting in New Zealand because it encrypts your internet traffic and ensures that your sensitive data remains protected, even when you’re torrenting.
Torrenting can be risky, so it’s crucial to understand how to securely torrent files without risking your online privacy in New Zealand. Thankfully, with a VPN installed and configured on your device, you will be safe from the majority of the threats associated with torrenting files online.
Some of the main benefits of torrenting with a VPN in New Zealand include:
1. Avoid ISP Throttling
If your internet connection is not secured, your ISP can always see everything you do online or even when you download torrents files. Your connection may be throttled if your ISP disapproves of huge torrenting files, which is the situation with many ISPs. Your speeds and bandwidth will be significantly decreased as a result.
When you use a VPN, your ISP cannot see any of your online activity, data, or traffic. Consequently, even if you are downloading torrents safely, it won’t have a cause to limit your connection. Using a VPN will keep your ISP in the dark about your torrent downloads.
2. Access Restricted Content
Several ISPs, as well as many workplaces, institutions, and schools, prohibit access to popular torrenting websites. Using a VPN is the simplest method to get past any kind of content restriction if you want to visit a torrent site but are prevented from doing so.
Using a VPN will prevent anybody from seeing your online activities by changing your IP address and hiding all of your activities.
Additionally, you may connect to a server in a different country that does not have any restrictions.
3. Keep Your IP Address Safe
If you download torrents onto your computer using a torrent client, your location and IP address will be visible to everyone connected to the torrent file. This exposes you to the risk of cyberattacks and malware.
A VPN will guarantee your total anonymity at the time of torrenting. You will be safe and secure since it will encrypt your data, mask your IP address, and hide your personal information.
FAQs: How to Download Torrents in New Zealand
Is Torrenting anonymous in New Zealand?
No, swarms of torrent clients do not provide anonymity in New Zealand. What you download is visible to everyone else. However, users of BitTorrent downloads have a variety of methods available to them in order to conceal their IP addresses from the general public.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN), Cloud Downloaders, proxies, and several other options are included.
Will a VPN affect my torrenting speed in New Zealand?
Yes, a VPN will affect your torrenting speed in New Zealand. Connecting to a VPN results in slowed download speeds because it transmits your encrypted data to a different server, hiding your actual IP address.
Most VPN users are aware of this, but they might not be aware that built-in firewalls and security software can also result in slower connection speeds.
Is torrenting without a VPN safe in New Zealand?
How do I hide my IP address when downloading torrents in New Zealand?
To hide your IP address when downloading torrents in New Zealand, use a VPN. Your data is encrypted and routed through one of its global servers. The majority of VPNs have locations in dozens of countries, and after you connect, you’ll receive a temporary IP address.
Are free VPNs safe for torrenting in New Zealand?
No, free VPNs are not safe for torrenting in New Zealand. Free VPNs are unsafe because they can hijack your browser, leak your data, and redirect you to websites without your permission. Additionally, even the best free VPNs come with data caps and limited server networks. With so many users on a single server, free VPNs also throttle your bandwidth.
Does NordVPN hide torrenting in New Zealand?
Yes, NordVPN hides your torrenting activities in New Zealand. Your local torrent client installed on your personal computer simply sends traffic to the NordVPN server, replacing your actual IP address with one of its own.
Wrapping Things Up
Finally, you probably have the answer to how to download torrents safely and anonymously in New Zealand. I recommend using ExpressVPN as it’s the best VPN for secure torrenting. Backed by military-grade encryption and a 30-day refund guarantee, ExpressVPN is the answer to how to torrent anonymously free in New Zealand.