5 Best Free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand in 2022
The Sony-developed PlayStation 4 is a gaming console on which you can play the most amazing games including Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty Warzone, Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield V, Uncharted 4, and more.
Not only this but you can use your PS4 console for web browsing, networking, and watching movies on popular streaming platforms in New Zealand like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more.
But even with all of this, you’re not enjoying the full potential of your PS4 console in New Zealand. And to do that, you need a VPN.
A VPN is a powerful tool that encrypts your traffic, hides your online identity, and geo-spoofs your location. Using a VPN while gaming will make sure you’re not exposed to cyber threats or hackers.
You’ll be able to play games that are not even released in your region or save on expensive games by beating dynamic pricing. Moreover, a VPN will let you stream international libraries of streaming platforms where you can find maximum titles of movies and TV shows.
In this article, we will tell you about the 5 best free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand which were selected after keeping speed, security, streaming support, and customer service into consideration.
For the record, we don’t recommend opting for a free VPN as there are many restrictions that come with it. Also, free VPNs are also known to steal data and sell it to third parties.
In our list, we took care of that aspect and the below-mentioned providers are the ones with good reputations in the industry.
So without any further ado, let’s get started!
Free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand: Quick Overview
- ExpressVPN: Trustpilot Rating 4.7 | Dedicated Router App.
- NordVPN: Trustpilot Rating 4.4 | Smart DNS Feature for PS4.
- CyberGhost: Trustpilot Rating 4.7 | 1-day Free Trial with Unlimited Bandwidth & Data.
- TunnelBear: Trustpilot Rating 2.9 | 1GB Data Limit Per Month with the Free Version.
- ProtonVPN: Trustpilot Rating 2.5 | No Data Limits with the Free Version.
Free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand: Detailed Analysis
We have selected the 5 best free VPNs for PS4 in New Zealand after testing 40+ VPN services considering the elements of speed, security, privacy, streaming support, features, and customer support.
1. ExpressVPN: Best Free VPN for Gaming in New Zealand
- Server Count: 3000+ Servers in 94+ Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.7
- Simultaneous Connections: 5
- Best Price: NZ$10.82/mo ($6.67/mo)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for gaming on your PS4 because of the dedicated router app it offers. Gaming consoles like PS4 or Xbox cannot run VPN apps and this is where the router app comes into play.
Configure ExpressVPN on your router and simply connect your PS4 to your Wi-Fi network. In this way, you’ll also be able to cover all the devices of your household just with a single connection!
There is no free version offered by ExpressVPN but there is a 7-day free trial on Android and iOS only. For other devices, you’ll need to hack the 30-day money-back guarantee offer to use it risk-free.
Upon testing ExpressVPN, we achieved an average speed of 92 Mbps and we could easily play the popular games with no lags on the console.
ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands which is out of the reach of the 14 Eyes. Also, the service is covered with a strict no-logs policy that has been audited by an independent third party called PwC.
All the ExpressVPN servers are operated on the RAM infrastructure and the total count is 3000+ servers in 94+ countries from which you can access international game servers on your PS4 and PS5 console.
Other than that, you can easily unblock popular platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more. We could easily unblock more than 15 Netflix libraries including the regions of the US, UK, Netherlands, Ireland, Malaysia, France, and more.
ExpressVPN encrypts your traffic with the AES 256-bit method and the protocols available are OpenVPN, IKEv2, and Lightway, which is ExpressVPN’s superfast custom protocol.
The provider offers handy features including a MediaStreamer Smart DNS that makes geo-restricted services available to you without even encrypting your traffic. It is useful for devices that cannot run VPNs, like the PS4, which can bypass the geo-restrictions in New Zealand easily with the feature.
Other features include a built-in kill switch, split tunneling, IP/DNS/WebRTC leak protection, and a 24/7 customer support team available via live chat on the official website.
ExpressVPN offers 3 plans. A monthly plan that costs NZ$20.98 (US$12.95), a 6-month plan that costs NZ$16.19/mo (US$9.99/mo), and a 1-year plan that costs NZ$10.82/mo ($6.67/mo).
All the plans require upfront payments and you can use your credit card, debit card, PayPal, and even cryptocurrency to pay for the subscription plan.
For more information, visit our dedicated guide for ExpressVPN!
2. NordVPN: VPN with Military-Grade Encryption in New Zealand
- Server Count: 5600+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.4
- Simultaneous Connections: 6
- Best Price: NZ$6.47/mo ($3.99/mo)
The Panama-based NordVPN offers military-grade AES 256-bit encryption that maximizes your privacy and anonymity in New Zealand while gaming on your PS4 console. The provider also has a strict no-logs policy which has been audited by PwC.
NordVPN doesn’t offer a free version but there is a 7-day free trial for macOS, iOS, and Android. For other devices, you’ll need to take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee offer to use NordVPN free for 1 month.
With ultra-fast 5600+ servers in 59+ countries, you can easily connect to international servers or get the games that are not yet released in your region.
There are no limits on bandwidth or data. You can download or upload as many files as you want from the internet.
Upon testing NordVPN, we achieved an average speed of 92 Mbps and no laggy gameplays were experienced while connected to the NordVPN servers.
You can also use the Smart DNS feature of NordVPN to watch geo-restricted movies on your PS4 console, the setup method is very easy to configure.
Other features of NordVPN include a built-in Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, Onion over VPN, CyberSec, Dedicated IP Addresses, and Double VPN.
NordVPN offers 3 plans. A monthly plan that costs NZ$19.43 ($11.99), a 1-year plan that costs NZ$8.08/mo (US$4.99/mo), and a 2-year plan that costs NZ$6.47/mo ($3.99/mo).
All the plans require upfront payments and they’re all covered with the 30-day money-back offer. You can pay for the subscription using your debit card, credit card, PayPal, cryptocurrency, and more.
If you have any queries about the provider, you can also reach NordVPN’s 24/7 customer support via live chat to solve your problems.
For more information, visit our dedicated guide for NordVPN!
3. CyberGhost: Largest Server Network to Access Geo-Blocked Content in New Zealand
- Server Count: 6000+ Servers in 88 Countries
- Trustpilot Rating: 4.7
- Simultaneous Connections: 7
- Best Price: NZ$3.58/mo ($2.29/mo)
CyberGhost is a Romania-based VPN provider that has the largest network of 6000+ servers in 88 countries which can unblock almost any geo-blocked content in New Zealand.
The service has an easy-to-navigate interface and it works great on PS4. You can easily set it up on your router or use the Smart DNS feature to bypass geo-restrictions on your console in no time.
CyberGhost doesn’t offer a free version but you can test it for a whole day with no limits on bandwidth, data, or features.
Moreover, you can take advantage of CyberGhost’s 45-day money-back guarantee to use it free of cost.
The provider offers blazing fast speeds with low ping which makes this VPN perfect for gaming. Upon testing CyberGhost, we achieved an average speed of 81 Mbps and there were no lags or buffers experienced while gaming on the PS4 console.
CyberGhost encrypts your traffic with the AES 256-bit method and the protocols available are OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard.
It also allows secure P2P transfer on all servers. Plus, there is a smart ad blocker that filters out malware and annoying pop-ups. So you’ll be able to browse on your Playstation without being interrupted by ads or malware.
If we talk about streaming then CyberGhost servers can unblock all popular streaming platforms including Netflix, HBO GO, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, and more.
Other features of CyberGhost include a 2-mode Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, Smart DNS, Dedicated IPs, and a Strict No-Logs policy that prevents your data from being logged or tracked.
If you’re thinking of purchasing a CyberGhost subscription then it offers 3 plans. A monthly that costs NZ$20.85 (US$12.99), a 1-year plan that costs NZ$6.89/mo (US$4.29/mo), a 2-year plan that costs NZ$5.22/mo (US$3.25/mo), and a 3-year plan that costs NZ$3.58/mo ($2.29/mo).
For more information, visit our dedicated guide for CyberGhost!
4. TunnelBear: Most Reliable VPN for Gaming in New Zealand
- Server Count: 2600 Servers in 46+ Locations
- Trustpilot Rating: 2.9
- Simultaneous Connections: 5
- Best Price: NZ$5.39/mo (US$3.33/mo)
With 2600 servers in 46+ locations, TunnelBear offers reliable connections for gaming on your PS4 or PS5 console in New Zealand.
The TunnelBear servers are fast and responsive so you should experience no slowdowns. Upon testing, we achieved an average speed of 26 Mbps. The ping was high at first but then it settled.
TunnelBear offers a free plan that gives you 500MB of data per month, but you can extend it up to 1GB if you tweet about the company.
The provider encrypts your traffic with the AES 256-bit method and the protocols available are IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN.
Torrenting is allowed on all servers and the service has a strict no-logs policy so your data won’t be logged.
TunnelBear servers are optimized enough to unblock Netflix US and HBO Max.
Other features include a kill switch called Vigilant Bear which keeps you safe on public gaming servers, DNS and IP leak protection, ad blocking, and split tunneling.
The Teams plan is mainly for businesses. For individual and family use, go for the Unlimited plan.
For more information, visit our dedicated guide for TunnelBear!
5. ProtonVPN: Unlimited Data for Unrestricted Play in New Zealand
- Server Count: 17 Servers in 3 Locations
- Trustpilot Rating: 2.5
- Simultaneous Connections: 1
- Best Price: NZ$8.54/mo (US$5.32/mo)
ProtonVPN offers a freemium version that gives unlimited data so you can game in New Zealand as much as you want on your PS4 or PS5.
There are 17 servers in 3 locations including the US, Japan, and the Netherlands so there is not much shuffling you can do with the countries. However, if you sign up for a paid plan, you’ll get access to 50+ countries with 10 simultaneous connections.
The overall speed is good but you might feel slow speeds in peak times. That’s when the paid subscribers are prioritized over free users.
Upon testing, we achieved an average speed of 74 Mbps which is a decent speed to game on your PS4 console.
ProtonVPN has support for all operating systems including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.
The traffic is encrypted with the same AES 256-bit method and the service is covered with a strict no-logs policy.
Other features of ProtonVPN include P2P support, DDoS protection, Tor over VPN, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch, which terminates your internet when the VPN drops and restores it when the VPN is back on.
ProtonVPN works on streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more only if you purchase a premium plan.
There are 3 plans currently being offered. A monthly plan that costs NZ$17.07 (US$10.63), a 1-year plan that costs Nz$10.24/mo (US$6.38/mo), and a 2-year plan that costs NZ$8.54/mo (US$5.32/mo).
Free VPNs to Avoid in New Zealand & Why
Free VPNs are dangerous and you should do your research before opting for one. They’re known to share your data with third parties for commissions and some can inject your systems with malware and viruses.
Here are some of the untrustworthy free VPNs in New Zealand that you should avoid:
- Hola: Hola is a P2P network but it advertises itself as a VPN. In a P2P network, people can use each other’s IP addresses. This means that if someone uses your computer’s IP address to do something illegal then you will be the one getting in trouble.
- CrossVPN: Can infect your device with trojan virus when you download the app.
- EasyVPN: Will show you unwanted ads in other apps on your device.
- HoxxVPN: It is a proxy, not a VPN. The provider sells data to third parties by logging your personal activity.
- FinchVPN: Can infect your device with malware.
How to Choose the Best Free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand
Choosing a free VPN that can give the best possible gaming experience in New Zealand is not easy. Our list of the above-mentioned best VPN services was selected with the following factors in consideration.
- Security: It should be the primary concern while selecting a provider. The service should offer top-notch privacy and anonymity on the web. Look out for the AES 256-bit encryption method with advanced protocols like IKEv2 or OpenVPN. Make sure your VPN doesn’t leak your IP or DNS while you’re gaming. Also, a kill switch feature can be a good addition.
- Speed: It is no surprise that a VPN slows down your internet connection. It is because it has to travel through multiple checkpoints before your traffic reaches the destination. So a VPN that decreases the speed to the point where it deteriorates your gaming experience will just not work. Make sure to go for a top-tier provider that offers blazing fast speeds and a lower ping to keep your gaming experience smooth and lag-free.
- Strict No-Logs Policy: A VPN that logs customer data is never good. Because your personal information can be compromised if one of the provider’s servers is compromised or seized by the government. Also, if your VPN provider is logging your private data then most probably it will sell it to concerned third parties for a commission. So steer clear of such companies and go for a reliable option instead.
- Easy to Configure: It is understood till now that gaming consoles cannot run VPN apps. So the only option you’re left with is configuring your VPN on the router or using a Smart DNS feature. Go for a VPN service that supports major routers and look out for the Smart DNS feature.
- Customer Support: Your provider should offer a vigilant customer support team to guide the users in all aspects. The best option would be 24/7 live chat support. But we understand that it can be a perk only for paid customers. So email support that can reply to customer queries in less than 48 hours will work too.
How to Set up a Free VPN on PS4 in New Zealand
Using a VPN on your PS4 in New Zealand is not simple as installing it on your iPhone or Windows PC. Gaming consoles cannot run native VPN apps so we’ll need to perform this task in another way.
The easiest way to connect your PS4 console to a VPN is to use the Smart DNS feature that only reputable VPN providers offer. We recommend ExpressVPN as it offers a dedicated MediaStreamer Smart DNS feature.
However, keep in mind that the Smart DNS feature only makes geo-restricted services available to you but it doesn’t encrypt your traffic.
So if that doesn’t work for you then go for the second method. That is installing a VPN directly on your router.
Again, you’ll need to pick a reputable provider that is compatible with routers, and again, we’ll recommend ExpressVPN because of its dedicated router app which makes setting up a VPN on a router very easy. Here is our detailed guide for a step-by-step process.
How to Install a VPN on PS4 in New Zealand Using Smart DNS
Free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand: FAQs
Can I get games cheaper and earlier with a VPN in New Zealand?
No. Your PSN account determines the PS Store you have to. And you cannot change the region of your PSN account with a VPN in New Zealand.
To access games earlier than the time of their release in your region, you’ll need to create a new PSN account with an appropriate region. A payment method will also be required to be linked to that region.
What games can I play with a VPN on PS4 in New Zealand?
There are many games that you can play on your PS4 in New Zealand. Some of them are Uncharted 4, Call of Duty Cold War, Fortnite, Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield V, Call of Duty Warzone, The Last of Us, God of War, and Metal Gear Solid. There are many more games on the PlayStation Store.
Is it illegal to use a VPN for PS4 in New Zealand?
No. Using a VPN for PS4 is not illegal in New Zealand. A VPN is a tool that just keeps your online identity secure and anonymous on the internet. However, not all countries allow their citizens to use VPNs.
That’s why they ban VPN and proxy services. So a wise step would be to check the VPN policies of a country before using one while residing there.
But one thing is to be kept in mind that criminal activity is still a criminal activity whether you use a VPN to carry it out or not. For suppose, hacking someone’s PS4 account is still illegal no matter if you’re using a VPN or not.
Wrapping Things Up!
The use of a VPN on your PS4 will eliminate all the dangers of cybersecurity, you’ll be able to play games earlier than their release, and access to international servers will be easy.
The best free VPN for PS4 in New Zealand is ExpressVPN because of its router compatibility, speed, security, and handy features. It doesn’t have a free version but you can take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee offer.
Our second recommendation would be CyberGhost and you use it for a whole day without being charged.
We hope this guide has helped you with your ideal free VPN to use for PS4 in New Zealand. If you have any questions, feel free to drop them below in the comment box.