5 Best Free VPNs Italy For New Zealand Users in 2022
When in Italy, you definitely need a VPN to access region-locked content and protect your device from cyberattacks. A VPN works by swapping your Italian IP address with another temporary IP, thereby virtually locating you in another country and keeping you anonymous over the internet.
In addition, a VPN lets you tiptoe around the European Union’s Mass Surveillance of the internet by encrypting your data and provides you with an extra layer of protection from harmful DDoS attacks and malware. It’s predictable that your first instinct is to look around for a free VPN Italy if you are a New Zealander traveling to Italy.
Although there are hundreds of free VPNs for the New Zealand users, they need to be aware that they don’t guarantee the same level of online anonymity as premium VPNs.
Some free VPNs may even log your sensitive data, therefore we highly recommend leveraging the 30-day money-back guarantee of ExpressVPN.
Best Completely Free VPN Italy for New Zealand Users in 2022 – Quick Analysis
- Hide.me: Top Free VPN for Italy with Excellent Surfing Speed
- ProtonVPN: Free Italy VPN for Unlimited Browsing
- TunnelBear: Reliable Italy VPN with a Large Server Network
- Hotspot Shield: Secure VPN for Italy
- Trust.Zone: Safe But Slow Speed Italy VPN
How Do We Setup Free VPN in Italy?
What are the Best Free VPNs Italy for New Zealand Users in 2022 – Detailed Analysis
Out of the many free VPNs for Italy, we have selected the ones that stayed true to their claims. Here are the five best free VPNs for Italy for New Zealand users in 2022:
1. Hide.me: Top Free VPN for Italy with Excellent Surfing Speed
hide.me is undoubtedly a top free VPN for Italy for New Zealand users as it offers incredible speed for surfing along with a free 10GB of data that’s roughly 3.5 hours of HD streaming.
Based in Malaysia, hide.me is a freemium VPN service so you’ll often be pushed to upgrade to a paid plan. On the free hide.me version, you can connect to servers in 5 locations (Canada, Netherlands, Germany, US East, and US West) and rely on it for carrying out moderate torrenting.
Besides the generous amount of free data and P2P support, hide.me offers router support along with automatic Wi-Fi protection. The freemium hide.me plan supports the SoftEther, OpenVPN, IPsec, SSTP, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec protocols.
You can only secure a single device on the free version of hide.me. A simple solution to this problem is transforming your laptop into a router – set up the VPN on your laptop and connect all the devices to it.
In our speed tests, hide.me performed exceptionally well. We received great connection speeds of over 25 Mbps on all 5 servers.
Moreover, hide.me has an excellent customer support team that replies within 10 seconds. We tested the live chat support at multiple time intervals during the day and found them extremely responsive and helpful.
- Servers in 150+ locations in 34+ countries
- P2P enabled/SOCKS5 proxy
- Incredible cross-platform support available
- Dedicated IPs available for VoDs
- Kill switch doesn’t work at times
- Sudden app crashes
2. ProtonVPN: Free Italy VPN for Unlimited Browsing
ProtonVPN ranks second on our list of the best free Italy VPNs for the New Zealand users because it offers unlimited data for browsing on its free version.
With ProtonVPN, you don’t have to sit through annoying advertisements as it doesn’t monetize via ads. However, you only get access to server locations in 3 countries and no simultaneous device connections on ProtonVPN Free.
Unlike several other free VPN providers, ProtonVPN is backed with 256-bit AES encryption along with an automatic kill switch to secure your connection. As far as security is concerned, ProtonVPN is one of the safest free VPNs with Swiss privacy laws. ProtonVPN impressed us by passing the IP, WebRTC leak, and DNS leak tests on all 3 server locations.
During our ProtonVPN speed test, we received decent connection speeds but they remained inconsistent throughout.
Although the unlimited data bandwidth without any ads ensured a smooth experience, the speed drops on distant servers remained a recurring problem.
Users who upgrade to Proton Plus get access to P2P sharing, servers in 63+ locations, 10 simultaneous connections, and streaming-optimized servers for Netflix. Upon upgrading, you also get access to Secure Core Protection to route your traffic via an unrestricted country and stay even more secure over the internet.
Considering the access to advanced features on Proton Plus, it’s a smart move to sign up for this Italy VPN’s free trial of 7 days and test every feature in great detail.
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Easily unblocks globally-restricted content
- Inconsistent connection speeds on distant servers
- Lacks simultaneous connections (ProtonVPN Free)
3. TunnelBear: Reliable Italy VPN with a Large Server Network
TunnelBear is another reliable VPN for Italy for New Zealand users with an expansive server network of servers in countries. Free users get access to the entire global server network of TunnelBear.
On the TunnelBear free plan, you’re given access to 500MB of free data per month. Although it is based in Canada (allegiance to Five and Fourteen Eyes), TunnelBear is highly focused on privacy policies.
Similar to a few other VPNs, TunnelBear has a free and premium plan for its New Zealand users. With TunnelBear, you get features like the VigilantBear (kill switch), instant protocol shifting, and seamless configuration options.
As far as VPN protocols are concerned, TunnelBear supports the IPSec/IKEv2 and OpenVPN protocol on all major platforms. For its Mac, Windows, and Android users, TunnelBear also has a GhostBear feature. It’s important to note that the GhostBear feature doesn’t work in China.
When we put TunnelBear through our rigorous speed tests, we easily browsed the internet without any noticeable speed drops.
The only con is the 500MB data cap that might be too less for users looking to stream in HD.
Considering its advanced security features and independent audits of all the apps, TunnelBear is a safe VPN for Italy for New Zealand users. Despite being a free VPN, we didn’t encounter any IP leaks on its US and UK servers. Hence, you’ll stay safe to a great extent with TunnelBear.
- 1000+ servers in 23 countries globally
- Impressive features like GhostBear & instant protocol shifting
- Simple Windows Client Software
- Easily works with Netflix
- Highly limiting data cap (500MB/mo)
For more details, check our in-depth Private Tunnel review!
4. Hotspot Shield: Secure VPN for Italy
Hotspot Shield is a secure VPN for Italy for New Zealand users as it offers 256-bit AES encryption and keeps your online traffic encrypted. This means New Zealanders can rely on Hotspot Shield to access worldwide content while staying secure.
With a large server network of 3200+ servers in 80+ countries, users can enjoy region-locked streaming platforms at decent connection speeds. In terms of VPN protocols, Hotspot Shield offers Hydra, OpenVPN, and IPSec to protect you from cyberattacks.
In our speed tests, we received impressive connection speeds but the 500MB data cap per day remained a concern. We couldn’t stream without fretting over our data usage.
In addition, Hotspot Shield offers 5 simultaneous device connections. Hotspot Shield offers a 7-day free trial that lets you test the service before making a final commitment.
- Efficiently blocks malware
- Offers 256-bit AES encryption
- Unreliable customer support
5. Trust.Zone: Safe But Slow Speed Italy VPN
Trust.Zone is undoubtedly a safe and free Italy VPN for New Zealanders as it utilizes a SOCKS5 proxy and ensures solid encryption via 256-bit AES encryption policies but it isn’t as fast as the other listed free VPNs.
You can rely on Trust.Zone to hide your original IP address and securely browse the internet when in Italy. Being a free VPN, Trust.Zone doesn’t compromise your online security and protects it from hackers. You get access to 200 servers in 38+ countries letting you stream region-locked content across the globe.
Moreover, Trust.Zone easily passed our DNS leak tests on all its servers. In addition to passing the DNS leak tests, Trust.Zone uses OpenVPN and IPSec to ensure maximum security online.
During our rigorous speed tests, we observed that Trust.Zone didn’t perform well and displayed below-average connection speeds.
If you can compromise on speed but not on security, then Trust.Zone might work for you. To be sure of the VPN provider, New Zealand users can get started with our 3-day free trial and test the features before making a final commitment.
- Government-grade encryption policies
- Custom apps for mobile devices
- Not as renowned as other providers
Why Do New Zealand users Need a VPN in Italy?
New Zealanders need a VPN in Italy to encrypt their sensitive data and route it through an intermediary server of their chosen location. A VPN secures their connection and keeps it secure from the prying eyes of hackers even when they are connected to a public Wi-Fi network.
Additionally, you can stay protected from the European Union’s Mass Surveillance of the internet and phones. Most VPNs have a global server presence that lets you access geo-restricted content across the globe like the US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu.
When you’re traveling outside Italy, you can catch up on all the Italy-exclusive content by getting yourself an Italian IP address.
What are the Risks of Using Free VPNs for the New Zealand Users?
Even the best free VPN for Italy for the New Zealanders comes with a set of risks attached to it. It’s smart to be aware of the risks associated with using free VPNs beforehand, such as:
- The VPN may be infected with malware. Free VPNs often come with harmful malware that infects your device rather than protects it. You won’t find ad-blockers as free VPNs earn their revenue by showing you ads hence, the chances of getting infected with malware increase with a free VPN.
- The VPN service may utilize third-party trackers for advertising purposes. The majority of free Italy VPNs embed a third-party tracker for multiple purposes; mainly for advertising. A CSIRO study declared that only 28% of free VPNs didn’t use a third-party tracker.
- Inability to access major restricted sites and platforms like HBO Max and Netflix. Free VPNs can’t successfully bypass the advanced location-detection technology of major streaming platforms such as Netflix or HBO Max.
- Limited amount of data and bandwidth to trap you into upgrading to the premium version. With a freemium VPN, you’re often enticed to upgrade to the premium plan. One such practice is by putting a cap on data allowance.
- Riddled with annoying advertisements. As free VPNs don’t have monthly or annual subscription plans, you have to sit through an ad-filled experience because that’s primarily how free VPNs earn their revenue.
- Extremely slow internet connection speeds. With a free VPN, you get access to congested servers that result in extremely slow connection speeds. You cannot rely on a free VPN to carry out data-intensive activities like streaming or gaming.
- You’ll often find yourself redirected to another website without your permission. When you use a free VPN, you’ll observe being redirected to other sites without your permission. This can be extremely frustrating and results in a poor user experience.
- Your data may be collected and shared with the government. Free VPNs have shady privacy policies and some free VPN services log your data. It gets riskier when you live in a country with strict VPN bans like China. These free VPN services might be approved by the government to collect and share your data with them.
Considering the risks with free VPNs, it’s best to subscribe to a reputed VPN provider like ExpressVPN. Though it’s a paid-for VPN service, we recommend our New Zealand readers trying out the free trial hack of an Italy VPN.
What are the Best Risk-Free VPNs Italy for New Zealand readers in 2022?
After testing a number of free VPNs for the New Zealand users, we concluded that free VPNs often leak identifying information that’s why we strongly recommend leveraging the money-back guarantee of renowned VPNs as it’s risk-free.
Here’s our take on the best risk-free VPNs for Italy for the New Zealand users in 2022:
1. ExpressVPN – Overall Best VPN for Italy for New Zealand Users
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Italy for the New Zealanders thanks to its 30-day money-back policy and unmatched connection speeds. With a vast server network of 3000+ servers in 94+ countries, ExpressVPN remains your safest bet to unblock geo-restricted content in Italy.
Moreover, ExpressVPN ensures government-grade encryption policies with a reliable kill switch to guarantee your online anonymity at all times. ExpressVPN has earned itself the top spot because of its consistent connection speeds.
In addition, ExpressVPN is compatible with multiple devices like smartphones, tablets, Apple TV, router, and game consoles. Such premium VPN features and instant access to geo-blocked sites come at a price of NZ$11.17/mo(US $6.67/mo ).
To learn more, check out our in-depth ExpressVPN review!
2. Surfshark – Most Affordable VPN for Italy for New Zealand Users
Despite being affordable, Surfshark maintains exceptional quality and doesn’t compromise on its global server coverage of 3200+ servers in 65+ countries.
After running multiple speed tests, we can confidently say that a cheaper subscription plan doesn’t equate slow connection speeds for Surfshark. In our speed test, the download speed touched 88.48 Mbps while we got a 79.42 Mbps upload speed.
At such incredible speeds, we easily streamed Netflix and BBC iPlayer without any buffering. The connection speeds make Surfshark the best VPN for Italy for New Zealand users while keeping their budget in check.
With Surfshark, we easily protected all our devices at the same time. Like other premium VPN services listed here, Surfshark also comes with a 30-day money-back policy that lets us try out the service before making the final decision.
To learn more, check out our in-depth Surfshark review!
3. NordVPN – Best Secure VPN for Italy
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for Italy for the New Zealand users because of its next-gen doubleVPN, onion over VPN features, and a strict no-logs policy. With top VPN providers like NordVPN, you never second-guess your online security as they have straightforward policies.
To back up the security, NordVPN also offers dedicated IPs and ensures no data leaks to its subscribers. NordVPN also performed incredibly well in the speed test and delivered sufficient speeds for streaming without any buffer.
NordVPN is compatible with major platforms like macOS, Windows, and Android. You can get NordVPN at a price of NZ$6.37/mo(US$3.99/mo) and enjoy up to 7 simultaneous device connections. If price is a concern for New Zealand users, they can simply leverage the 30-day money-back guarantee and avail the premium service risk-free.
To learn more, check out our in-depth NordVPN review!
Quick Comparison Table: Free VPN Italy for New Zealand Users
Here’s a quick recap of the best free VPN for Italy for the New Zealand users in 2022:
|VPN Provider||Hide.me||ProtonVPN||TunnelBear||Hotspot Shield||Trust.Zone|
|Data Limit||10GB||Unlimited||500MB/mo||500MB/day||1GB (Free Trial)|
|Dedicated IP||No||No||No (Dynamic IP)||No||Yes|
|Logging Policy||Anonymized logs||Zero logs||Anonymized logs||Anonymized logs||Zero logs|
Free VPN Italy for New Zealand Users – FAQs
Is VPN legal in Italy?
Yes, a VPN is legal in Italy. As of June 2022, there are no legal restrictions against the use of VPNs in Italy for general internet usage.
Is there a 100% free VPN for New Zealand Users?
Yes, there are several 100% free VPNs for New Zealand users like Windscribe, hide.me, Hotspot Shield, and TunnelBear. However, there are certain risks with using free VPNs that’s why we recommend our New Zealand readers subscribing to a premium VPN service. ExpressVPN is our top recommendation.
How do New Zealand users get a VPN in Italy?
Here’s how New Zealand users can get a VPN in Italy:
- Get a premium VPN subscription (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Install the VPN app on your device.
- Open the app and connect to a server of your choice.
- All done – you’ve got yourself a VPN in Italy!
Can free VPNs be trusted?
Unfortunately, free VPNs cannot be trusted. Besides being bombarded with ad pop-ups, your device is at a higher risk of getting infected with malware. Free VPNs also log user data for advertising purposes thereby risking your online anonymity as well.
What is the best free VPN in Italy for New Zealand users?
hide.me is the best free VPN in Italy for the New Zealand users as it offers premium security features and a 10GB data limit on its free version. Moreover, hide.me utilizes government-grade encryption policies (256-bit AES encryption) that make it the best VPN for New Zealand users to use in Italy.
Wrapping Things Up
While there are a handful of free VPN Italy New Zealand users can subscribe to, not one competes with the privacy offered by premium VPNs. With a reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN, you can securely bypass the location-detection bots on major streaming platforms.
Even though ExpressVPN isn’t a free Italy VPN, we highly recommend leveraging its 30-day money-back policy as it’s far better than saving a few bucks through a free VPN. When you opt for a completely-free VPN, keep in mind that you’ll be paying a heavier price afterward.