How to Watch American Netflix with a VPN
Netflix is the world’s favorite streaming site that has revolutionized the way we consume our entertainment. It gave rise to the phenomenon of binge-watching through its extremely addictive TV shows and movies far better than what other entertainment are currently offering.
However, despite all of its popularity, Netflix imposes geographical and content limitations on its library. Each country gets a different version, due to the copyright obligations that Netflix has to cater to. This means, if you reside outside the US, you may not have the same titles available.
This guide will show you how to access American Netflix with a VPN and provide other valuable insights.
How to Watch American Netflix in Less than 5 Minutes
- Go to the official Surfshark website.
- Click on the “Stream Anything” button.
- Select a suitable plan from the options.
- Choose a payment method
- (To stay anonymous use: Bitcoin)
- Complete the checkout process
- Download the relevant VPN app
- (I will be using the Windows Client)
- Launch the Surfshark Application
- Connect to a server in the US
- Visit www.netflix.com or use the app
- Enjoy access to the complete Netflix US library
Why You Need a VPN to Watch US Netflix?
Netflix is bound to licensing agreements from production houses, which forces them to impose geo-restrictions and content limitations on users in specific countries. The VoD itself has no choice in the matter but is merely catering to the requirements agreed to in any business transaction.
This is why you can find many different versions of Netflix that host varied libraries. The TV shows and movies you see in the US, may not be available in other countries like Canada, Germany, New Zealand, and Australia. This makes many furious, as it is a weird feeling of being left out.
For 2020, the Netflix US is hosting a massive library of 1,845 TV shows and 3,712 movies (5,557 total) and many of those are unavailable in different countries. This is where getting a VPN service comes in handy, as it helps binge-watchers bypass these geo-restrictions.
By connecting to a server in the US, implementing encryption to your connection, and passing all VPN traffic as regular HTTPs traffic, VPNs fool Netflix into thinking you reside in the United States, allowing you to unlock a whole new world of entertainment!
5 Best VPNs to Watch American Netflix
If you want to unblock the US version of Netflix from other countries, then check out these 5 Best VPNs for American Netflix, which unblock the VoD seamlessly and securely!
1. Surfshark: Best VPN Service for Netflix
Launched in 2018 and based in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark Netflix is one of the best options in the marketplace currently. It offers unmatched supports for unblocking, browsing, streaming, torrenting, and gaming, all while boosting your online security and anonymity.
For connectivity, users have access to 1,700+ servers in 63 countries worldwide, which easily unblock 16+ Netflix libraries. If you want to test the service, you even have a 7-day Surfshark free trial for iOS and Android devices. As for other platforms, there is a generous 30-day refund.
Surfshark even makes available static IPs, Multi-Hop servers, CleanWeb, and unlimited simultaneous connections on a single subscription. The best part of all: the VPN faces no issues in unblocking other streaming services excluding Netflix, such as:
- 1,700+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of Surfshark!
2. PureVPN: Cheap VPN for Netflix Lovers
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Hong Kong, PureVPN is a low-cost option for budget-hunter Netflix users. It has been endorsed by Forbes, audited by AltiusIT, and offers many advanced features like DNS Leak Protection, Automatic Kill Switch, and Dedicated IPs.
PureVPN Netflix users have a “Popular Websites” listing in any app with a “Netflix US” option. The provider even has an impressive infrastructure of 3,200+ servers in 140+ countries. If you want to test the service, you even have a 30-day refund and PureVPN free trial available.
To get the best value, I recommend going for their 5-year plan that starts at $3.33/mo . Once subscribed, you can even unblock other streaming platforms excluding Netflix through the “popular websites” menu. These include:
- DDoS Protection Feature
- 3,200+ Servers in 140 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple Protocol Support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of PureVPN!
3. NordVPN: Secure & Anonymous Netflix VPN
Launched in 2012 and based in Panama, NordVPN is another great VPN for unblocking the complete libraries and accessing your version of Netflix from anywhere. You can obtain an entire list of NordVPN Netflix servers from the live chat support, all of which work smoothly.
Priced at a minimal $3.71/mo on a 2-year plan, travelers using NordVPN get access to over 5,300+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide. You can even test the service via NordVPN’s Free Trial and 30-day refund guarantee.
The provider is free from all WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks, uses AES-256 ciphers with an RSA-4096 key and SHA384 for hash authentication, and provides binge-watchers with specialized list of servers for unblocking other VoDs apart from Netflix, which include:
- 5100+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2020 NordVPN review!
4. ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Netflix Users
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2011, ExpressVPN is the preferred choice for many Netflix users. It has a verified no logs policy that even the Turkish authorities could not bypass, audited by two firms; PWC and Cure53!
I remember when Netflix banned VPNs back in 2016, ExpressVPN was the only provider that quickly adapted to the DPI and IP filtering techniques used by the streaming service. You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial for testing the product or avail their 30-day refund policy.
A 15-months plan will cost you $6.67/mo , and give you access to apps available for all popular platforms that include Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux. You can also use the provider to bypass geo-restrictions and content limitations on other streaming platforms, such as:
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of ExpressVPN!
5. CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price & Value
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is a renowned choice for unblockers and streamers around the world. It offers the largest server network in the industry, making it perfect for Netflix users who want to shift locations and appear as a local when browsing through different libraries.
CyberGhost easily manages to bypass geo-restrictions and VPN bans on Netflix and other popular streaming sites like Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now with ease. In fact, the service offers specialized servers that you can find through the search bar!
For connectivity, users have access to over 6,200 servers in 88+ countries worldwide, along with features like 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, and a navigation bar for finding specific servers. The provider even utilizes obfuscation technology for unblocking streaming platforms.
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- 6,200+ Servers in 90 Countries
- 1-Day Free VPN Trial Available
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- Slow Customer Support
For more information, check out this full 2020 CyberGhost review!
Features of the Best VPN to Watch American Netflix
How do you exactly identify a VPN that will be good enough for your Netflix needs? There are hundreds of VPN providers out there with each one claiming to be better than the last, however, when it comes to Netflix, nearly all of them lose their steam, except for a select few.
These select VPN services that can allow you to watch the American Netflix library have some distinguishing features that the others don’t have. Here is how you can identify them with the help of the exact feature:
- Working Servers: To unblock Netflix US, a VPN needs to be fast enough to keep changing its US servers before Netflix can pounce on them and ban them. Most VPNs that work with Netflix US follow a strategy of allocating dedicated locations for accessing Netflix.
- Fast Speeds: There is no point in getting a Fastest VPN to unblock Netflix US if you are getting pathetic speeds. A VPN that kills more than 35% of your actual ISP speed shouldn’t be what you’re looking for. Instead, look for VPNs with a speed loss of 5% maximum!
- Native Apps: You can watch Netflix on any device ranging from your Mobile phone to your Smart TV to a Mediastreamer, so it’s imperative that the VPN provides its dedicate clients that make it easier to setup a VPN on the device you are using Netflix on
- Excellent Security: A military grade AES 256 encryption and OpenVPN protocol support are a must have features in a VPN because anyone can snoop into your data when its on the internet and use it for nefarious purposes.
- Simultaneous Connections: If you buy a Netflix Subscription, its normal that you share your login credentials with your family or view Netflix on different devices at different times of the day, so a VPN needs to offer at least 5 simultaneous connections at a time.
- Affordable Long term Plans: Netflix users should look for VPNs that are affordable to associate with in the long term. VPNs with exorbitant price tags are a big no for Netflix users!
How to Watch American Netflix on Different Devices
If you want to watch American Netflix on different devices like Android, Windows, and Apple, follow the easy instructions for each below:
How to Watch American Netflix on Android Devices
- Get a VPN subscription by purchasing its pricing plan
- Go to Google Play to download its native Android client
- Enter user credentials on the Android VPN app
- Connect to a working US server that unblocks American Netflix
- Enjoy the full American US library of Netflix on your Android Device!
How to Watch American Netflix on Apple Devices
- Select a Top Mac VPN and acquire a subscription.
- Download and install its native iOS client from the iTunes store.
- Connect to a US server on that client (which works towards unblocking Netflix US)
- Open the Netflix app and you will now be accessing the US library of Netflix!
How to Watch American Netflix on Windows PC
- Sign up for a premium VPN service.
- Download/install the relevant VPN application.
- Open the app and enter your login credentials.
- Select any “US server” for establishing an connection.
- Enjoy Netflix on its website or dedicated app!
VPNs That Do Not Work for American Netflix
There are many VPN providers out there who will claim that they can make you access American Netflix but their claims are nothing more than just false hopes.
We can say this because we’ve tested them all. Some of these VPNs, which we’ve listed below, don’t work at all while the rest have a very patchy performance record which means that you can’t rely on them for your Netflix unblocking needs:
- Tunnelbear (Free & Paid both)
- Torgaurd (Patchy performance)
Watch American Netflix: FAQs
Is it legal to use a VPN on Netflix?
Although VPNs are entirely permitted in Netflix’s “Terms of Service”, but using one should not get you into too much trouble. Using a VPN to access region-locked content is also quite common and won’t result in your account getting banned.
Can Netflix block my account if I use a VPN?
Netflix may block you from accessing their website, if the VPN you use leaks your WebRTC/DNS/IP address. However, the VoD service will not block or cancel your account for using one. Just choose a better VPN that works with Netflix.
Do I need a US account to watch Netflix US?
Not really. You can unblock the US version of Netflix with subscriptions from any region. For instance, if you have a Canadian Netflix account, using a VPN to connect to a US server and accessing Netflix will unblock the US library.
Wrapping Things Up
To sum everything up, a VPN will protect you from many threats and help you enjoy unblock the American version of Netflix easily, but you need to be wary about your choice.
If you have any questions or better recommendations to give, do not hesitate on commenting below. Also, feel free to share the guide with other users, who are in search for the best VPN for Xbox One.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?