How to Reduce League of Legends Lag & Packet Loss
Gamers face a hard time playing their favorite MOBA games due to dreadful lag, high-ping and latency issues. Being the most prominent game in the genre, League Of Legends has over 67 million active monthly players across the globe, whose skills are compromised due to lag during online gameplay.
League Of Legends lag exists for various reasons like a substandard graphics card, poor connection, improper optimization of visual settings or simply your ISP. For devoted gamers, high ping or lag in LoL jeopardizes your skills and prestige, as every move you make or spell you cast is inevitably affected.
Yes, we’ve been there. We even uninstalled the game a few times, but the craving pulls us back. And, if you’re like us, you would do anything to play LoL lag free. Hence, keeping your love for LoL in mind, we’ll offer a guide that will help you cakewalk your way towards a lag free, low ping experience.
5 Steps to Fix LoL Lag Spikes & Packet Loss
Here are some steps you can follow to reduce high ping, packet loss, and lag while playing League of Legends online.
Step 1: Re-Tweak Your GPU Preferences
The first step of this procedure begins with the GPU your system is packing. After all, League Of Legends is a game that’s hefty on your GPU. So without further a due, let’s get some stress off of your GPU:
- Reset your League Of Legends visual settings according to the game’s minimum requirements. This will give your graphics card and visual drivers a breather and will boost your games performance significantly.
- Download updates for your graphics drivers regularly. Nvidia and AMD release updates of their drivers on a regular basis to fix bugs and frame rate stutters with consideration of the latest and the most played games in the market.
- The price-tag on the new graphics cards today are relentless. However, you can lower your screen solution from 1080p to 720p or lower.
- And most importantly, force your game to run on Direct X 10, 9 or 8 instead of Direct X 11. This will reduce excessive in-game particle generation and will give you game a major FPS boost.
Step 2: Use A Lag Reduction Client
Getting on step 2, a lag reduction client is a software that’s specially designed for reducing high ping in LoL and other games. By using a lag reduction app, you can reduce high latency in LoL from your ISP’s end.
We used Kill Ping, the most prominent lag reduction software currently available in the market. And to our amusement, in a 1v1 game, our latency and data packet loss were reduced to the minimum. You can also use different gaming VPN services to tunnel your data packets through uncongested pathways.
Instead of going through the hurdle of changing your ISP, you can simply use a lag reduction app to revive the League Of Legends experience you always wanted. Plus, it’s way more lenient on your wallet. By using a lag reduction software, you won’t see your Champion die immediately right after an “Attempting To Reconnect” notification.
Step 3: Reconfigure Your Network Connection Settings
Having a poor set-up of your internet connection can significantly increase ping and packet loss in LoL. So it would be favorable for you to revise your internet connection settings and see if there’s something that can help in League Of Legends lag fix. On the other hand, here are some steps that you can follow to reduce League Of Legends lag:
- If you’re connected to the internet through a Wi-Fi device, then we advise you to immediately switch to a wired connection. The procedure will eliminate connection latency, thus allow you to enjoy League Of Legends high ping.
- Close any type of firewall that’s securing your internet connection. Firewalls usually consume bandwidth immensely and cause bandwidth latency.
- Ensure whether your router or Ethernet cable is damaged or not. A damaged Ethernet cable or router can cause bandwidth leakage, making your game lag frequently.
- If have devices in your household that operate on a shared internet connection, then this could be another vital reason you’re facing LoL ping spikes. Before playing LoL, ensure that you’re not connected to a shared connection.
- Also, make sure that all unnecessary P2P file sharing clients and instant messaging apps, like Skype, are closed. This will help you reduce LoL ping and packet loss by a significant margin.
Step 4: Refresh Or Upgrade Your RAM And CPU
Talking about step 4, this step is very crucial for League Of Legends lag reduction. Due to unnecessary background processes, your RAM and CPU fails miserably in offering their maximum power to your League Of Legends gameplay to boost its performance. However, by following these steps, you can optimize your CPU and RAM for the best League Of Legends gameplay experience possible:
- Perform disk defragmentation once a while. This way, your system can access the essential files of League Of Legends way quicker.
- Before launching League Of Legends, ensure all unnecessary background applications, downloads, updates and instant messaging clients are closed. This way, your system will allocate its power and network bandwidth to reduce League Of Legends high ping.
- Re-allocate the usage of your CPU and RAM wisely. This will allow your system to boost up long load times and in-game activities.
Step 5: In-Game Settings For League Of Legends Lag Fix
The best thing to do in order to reduce lagging in League Of Legends is to face off the in-game settings itself. Here, you can find all the settings related to the graphical and the network performance of the game.
- Firstly, turn of anti-aliasing. This will take off all the stress of your GPU and allow LoL lag to reduce significantly.
- Secondly, to have the best gaming experience, your game session should be somewhere around 40 FPS at least. You can lower your resolution and turn all the texture details to medium or low so that you achieve 40-50 FPS during your League Of Legends gameplay.
- And Finally, turn off the intro music and animation of the League Of Legends launch client. This will reduce stress off your GPU and CPU collectively, allowing you to reduce LoL lag.
With our tested steps above, you can quickly lead the squad of your Champions towards victory. By going through each and every step above thoroughly, you can eliminate League Of Legends packet loss and high ping like a piece of cake.
Hopefully, this guide will help you get on the pro bandwagon of League Of Legends. Moreover, share this guide if you think other gamers can benefit from it too, and do let us know in the comments section if you’re still facing any lag-related issues in your League Of Legends gameplay.
And btw, GLHF!