Microsoft never could never have imagined the heights they would reach with their “Windows” product; currently the most used OS in the world! Famed for being overpoweringly user-friendly, intuitive, and responsive, it is the preferred choice for both: individuals and large corporations. This is why selecting a VPN for the platform is tough, as you have hundreds of options available. If you opt to go FREE, things get even more confusing. So, without further ado, read this Free VPN for Windows guide from BestVPN.co!
What to Look for in a Free Unlimited VPN for Windows/PC
If you are an avid reader at BestVPN.co, you might know that we always tell our users to be wary of FREE VPN services. Yeah, we know that goes against this guide itself, but we have to cater to the needs of our audience-base – who often have queries about trustworthy FREE services. So, we only go in-depth into reviewing free providers for you guys out there, but let us clear a few things out, shall we?
Trust and FREE never mix well, especially in the world of SaaS privacy tools. You know why? Because well, how do these free services operate? Surely, they are not backed by non-profit organizations, and neither do they receive donations. How do they manage to pay for the advertising, bandwidth, websites, and tech support staff? This, my friends, is the real scam.
Obviously, you need to have money to run a service, the last time we checked. So in the world of VPNs, when someone markets themselves as a FREE ‘reliable’ service, do not mind if we laugh at the irony. Half of these services compromise on your PRIVATE information, selling them to third-parties. If not this, you have to suffer from hundreds of irritating ad pop-ups, loaded with viruses/malware.
Then, of course, we have free VPN providers that use Botnets on customer devices, and others that have links to data mining companies. This is why we at BestVPN.co are paranoid about providers that “claim” they are free. For our users, we do our own research in providers that avoid such deceitfulness. Before we go into giving suggestions, here are few factors to consider when selecting a free VPN for Windows:
- Compatibility –Whenever you select a VPN, make sure it offers solid apps compatibility. The best free VPN for Windows providers will have a VPN client that works smoothly across all OS versions, be it XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10.
- P2P/Torrenting –One of the main reasons for anyone to use a VPN is to engage in P2P file sharing. The provider you choose should have an open policy that grants users to download torrents freely while receiving high-speeds.
- Protocols Available –The VPN provider you choose for Windows must support a range of protocols. The most basic include PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and SLL. However, if you want to leverage the best security, it is vital to select a VPN that supports OpenVPN.
- Privacy & Logging – The logging activities of a VPN are crucial to determining the level of anonymity you receive. Be sure that the VPN you choose boasts a no-logging policy. If your VPN records connection information, it defies the entire purpose of using a private network service.
- VPN Servers –The amount of server locations available in multiple countries is crucial for unblocking and accessing the content. Make sure to choose a provider that offers plenty of servers for connection, so that you can enjoy watching your favorite movies/TV shows anytime, anywhere!
Note: It is highly unlikely that you get wider server network with the kind of security mentioned above with a free VPN, we advise you to go for a paid VPN service to get such features and security.
Free VPN vs. Paid VPN – Which Is Better for Security & Anonymity?
Those who are intelligent will get the gist about free VPNs from the talk above. However, if you are still double-minded, we decided to go a little in-depth. To begin with, if you need a VPN for Windows, it is imperative to always go with a paid service. Again, understand that “free” VPNs have to pay for legal fees, tech support staff, websites, advertising, bandwidth, and servers, all of which cost money.
“There is no such thing as a free lunch” and all these costs do require a substitute earning model for FREE services. As such, they will make it necessary for you to watch silly adverts, and others may even sell your private data to marketers. There is also no way to confirm whether the service is a governmental agency that wants to access encrypted data.
You could also mistakenly sign up with a service that on the backend is actually a bunch of hackers, looking to steal your data and possibly your identity. In short, what we are trying to say is that the risks associated with “free” VPNs are plenty. If you want to receive the best value, security, reliability, speeds, and support, it is imperative to go for a paid service, as they do not suffer from things like:
- Session/Connection Logging –Most free VPNs will log your IP address, time stamps, pages visited, etc. When you purchase a paid plan, you have a contract with the VPN (they are bound to fulfil).
- Bandwidth Caps– Most free providers will set a limit on the data you can use, which ranges to a few GB of data/month. Paid services impose no such restrictions.
- Poor Speeds –Majority of the free VPN providers will set bandwidth caps. This limits users to receive speed ranging from 1-3mbps. Paid services offer unlimited bandwidth speed.
- No Torrenting –Many VPN services that block Torrenting on free plans will allow them on paid plans. Bear in mind downloading torrents means increased bandwidth, which is not FREE.
- Limited Servers –Most free VPNs will have a limited selection of servers available ranging anywhere from one to ten, and these servers will usually be very crowded.
Disappointed? you must be, it is advised to pay some dollars to secure your self online, you can check out our cheap VPN services blog
Free VPN for Windows 7
The Windows 7 quickly rose to popularity, after the introduction of three successful service packs for Windows XP, and a failure with the Windows Vista. The platform managed to deliver the perfect seamless experience, blending vibes from XP while adding more functionality for networking/security and appeal to the overall design. Below is a list of the best FREE VPN for Windows 7, you should try out but before go forward for, if you need Free VPN for Android then read our detail guide.
Based in Philadelphia, PA, US – Speedify is one of the most famous free VPN services in the marketplace currently, helping users anonymize their website traffic and staying private online. It only uses its OWN VPN protocol for connection called “Channel Bonding”, which lets you combine multiple networks at a single time, including your Wi-Fi, mobile data, and Bluetooth.
This ensures even if one loses internet connection, you keep on downloading/uploading files, without any interruptions. For security, Speedify again offers their own ChaCha 256-bit key, which adds to the security algorithms and ciphers of the military-grade, AES-256 bit encryption. You have access to 1,000+ servers in 28 countries and can even purchase a dedicated IP for unblocking VoDs.
This provider here is the best and the most secure option if you are looking for a totally free VPN for Windows 10 or even 8 or previous OS versions.
- Uses Own VPN Protocol: Channel Bonding
- Personalized Encryption: ChaCha-256 Bit
- 1,000+ Servers in 28 Countries Worldwide
- P2P/Torrenting Enabled on Specific Servers
- 5GB of Free Monthly Data for Testing
- No Live Chat Support
The Canadian-based service, Windscribe has quickly risen to fame, offering an easy-to-use and intuitive client for Windows that makes configuring and establishing VPN connections incredibly easy. The free plan does limit the servers accessible to three while imposing a 10 GB data cap, but still, it is a great choice if you need a totally free VPN for Windows 8 to simply unblock geo-restricted websites.
For security, Windscribe offers support for OpenVPN, IKEv2, and SOCKS5 protocols, which are encrypted using powerful AES-256 ciphers with SHA512 authentication and a 4096-bit RSA key (limited to desktop apps only). In terms of features, Windscribe does not fail to disappoint either, integrated with IPv6 Traffic Limiter, Data Leak Protection, Automatic Kill Switch, and NAT Firewall.
- 10GB Data Allowance on Free Plan
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime
- 600+ Servers in 52 Countries Worldwide
- Built-in Ad/Tracker Blocking and DoubleVPN
- Browser Extensions for Opera, Chrome, Firefox
- Inconsistent Speeds
Other Notable Free VPNs for Windows 7
- Avira Phantom VPN
- SurfEasy VPN
- Opera VPN
Best Free VPN for Windows 10
After Windows 8 and 8.1 failing miserably, Microsoft came up with their BEST product ever, the Windows 10. It features the most user-friendly and intuitive atmosphere, suitable for both: the tech-savvy and novice users. However, since the OS does have vulnerabilities, additional assistance via VPNs always comes in handy, especially if you want complete privacy online. So, without further ado, let us look at the list of the best free VPNs for Windows 10.
Similar to Windscribe, TunnelBear is also located in Canada. The VPN offers both: a free and premium model. Their VPN software for Windows is quite amazing, presenting easy configuration options, seamless server selection, protocol shifting, and activation/deactivation of features like the “VigilantBear” a.k.a. Automatic Kill Switch in normal VPN lingo.
For security, TunnelBear VPN offers access to OpenVPN and IPSec/IKEv2, which uses the standard 256-bit AES protection. The provider even adds a “Ghostbear” feature, which uses obfuscation technology for getting around firewalls in countries like China, but this is only available in the paid version.
For connectivity, you have a selection of 1,000+ servers in 23 countries, but if you opt for the free plan, you will only be able to use 4. Its Windows apps are incredibly well suited to work on previous Windows OS versions as well, so if you are looking for a best free VPN for Windows 8 or even for 7, Tunnelbear is the perfect choice for you.
- Works with Netflix Smoothly
- Easy-to-use Windows Client Software
- 1000+ Servers in 23 Countries Worldwide
- Advanced Features like VigilantBear and GhostBear
- 50% Discount on the Yearly Plan
- 500MB Limit on Free Trial
Centered in Malaysia, Hide.me is a new service in the market of VPNs. It is popular for its astonishing anonymity, transparency, and security. Offering brilliant performance and superb privacy protection, users can leverage the free trial for testing before purchasing.
You also have a 14-day, 100% money back guarantee, if things do not work out as planned. In terms of connectivity, the provider offers 100+ dedicated GBIT servers in 28 countries and 36 locations. The best part of all: the VPN even gives users access to a FREE PROXY service so even if you don’t want to download its Windows apps, you can still use it as totally free VPN for your PC quite easily.
- 53 Servers in 32 Countries Worldwide
- Exceptional Cross-Platform Support
- Dedicated IPs Available for VoDs
- Automatic Wi-Fi protection
- P2P Enabled/SOCKS5 Proxy
- Pricey Monthly Plan
Other Notable Free VPNs for Windows 10
- Hotspot Shield
- VPN Gate
Best VPNs for Windows 8
While some reliable free VPN for Windows OS is there for you to try out from, they can never as rich in features and performance as their paid counterparts.
Paid VPNs bring a lot more to the table than freebies like Netflix US unblocking, Torrenting support, faster speeds, more servers, better security, safe jurisdiction, the higher number of compatible apps for different devices and more. So going for them will definitely bring in more value and enhance your user experience.
They might not be totally free VPNs but they offer considerably long term free trials or friendly refund policies allowing you enough time to test them out, get satisfied and only then commit towards buying the paid subscriptions.
The top three best VPN for Windows in 2019 are:
To get a more comprehensive list of providers, read our guide on the best VPN for Windows here.
Free VPN for PC – Microsoft Store
If you are looking for a suitable Free VPN for Windows from the Microsoft Store, then you might want to check out MicVPN. It is a free VPN and proxy service that cloaks your identity and keeps your identity anonymous when using the Windows OS. The app proves quite useful in unblocking restricted content and even tends to be incredibly useful for engaging in P2P/Torrenting.
Using the software does not require registration. You are given a key which gives you access to the Trial version for one full day. This should be good enough to test the service, as you receive incentives like zero ads, no logging and a Tor Proxy known as “the tunnel router”, which further helps in bypassing internet censorship and hiding IP addresses.
Free VPN for Windows Download
When it comes to downloading the dedicated VPN apps for Windows, you have to follow the same process as for any other application. Simply visit the website of the VPN service and click on the download link next to the Windows icon. If you are too lazy to go on searching, then you can check out the links below for easy access to the downloads.
But as a precautionary measure, always check an app file/installation file on VirusTotal.com to ensure that the app you just downloaded from any free VPN for Windows 8 or above is secure and doesn’t contain any malware or engines that could harm your system or data.
I always run checks on the files I download and when I checked, the Windows apps by these providers didn’t have any sort of malware or engine. But this is something that you need to for yourself as well.
Free VPN Performance Results for Windows
|VPN Provider||Connect Time||Ping Time||Download Speed (Avg.)||Upload Speed (Avg.)|
|Speedify||2.3 seconds||30 ms||79.8 Mbps||70.9 Mbps|
|Windscribe||1.6 seconds||59 ms||81.2 Mbps||66.2 Mbps|
|TunnelBear||3.5 seconds||170 ms||73.4 Mbps||69.7 Mbps|
|Hide.Me||6.2 seconds||66 ms||67.8 Mbps||58.3 Mbps|
|Avira Phantom||7.9 seconds||112 ms||70.9 Mbps||61.5 Mbps|
|ProtonVPN||8.5 seconds||151 ms||59.7 Mbps||44.2 Mbps|
|SurfEasy||3.9 seconds||60 ms||48.1 Mbps||35.9 Mbps|
|Opera VPN||4.1 seconds||48 ms||41.4 Mbps||30.7 Mbps|
|VPN Gate||5.5 seconds||77 ms||38.7 Mbps||25.8 Mbps|
How to Setup Free VPN on Windows
- Click on the “Network” icon on the Windows Taskbar and navigate to “Network Settings”
- Select VPN under the “Network & Internet” option and click on “Add a VPN Connection”
- You will now be required to enter VPN info. Freevpnaccess.com is a good resource for PPTP addresses!
- After filling out the info, click on the “Save” button, hit “connect”, and enjoy using VPN via PPTP.
Free VPN for Windows FAQs
When it comes to finding a suitable Free VPN for Windows, users may have plenty of queries/concerns running through their minds. BestVPN.co lists some of the common questions we get asked a lot!
Is There Any Free VPN For PC?
Yes, indeed! In fact, the internet is filled with hundreds of VPN providers that claim to be offering privacy and security “Free”. While we usually advise against signing up with such shady services, there are still a few that may be deemed less “risky”. BestVPN.co has added those names in the Best Free VPN for Windows listing above.
Is CyberGhost VPN Free?
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is quite a famous name in the market, but unfortunately, it does not follow the freemium model like the services mentioned above. The provider only offers a “Free Trial”, which you can use for 7-days, and then pay $63 for yearly-access (if you want to). For the low price, you get access to 3,000+ servers, Automatic Kill Switch, DNS/IP Leak Protection, and various other features!
Wrapping Things Up
We have said it time and time again, but I guess another time will not hurt. BestVPN.co strictly advises against signing up with free providers.
The ones mentioned above are only a select few, which can be considered less of a threat in comparison to others selling scam services in the garb offering free VPN services.
We try being as accurate as possible with our reviews, putting in hours and days into our research and analysis. However, if you think there are better solutions, do not hesitate to drop a comment below!