5 Best Free VPNs for iPhone, iPad and Other iOS Devices
Contrary to popular perception, Apple devices need to be secured as much as other devices. Most iPhone users make the mistake of not protecting their cybersecurity online and pay the price when their devices get intruded into.
Modern-day cyber hackers are deploying extremely cunning ways to do that, which include MITM attacks, spear phishing, malicious links, etc. The best option to secure your iPhone against such threats is to get a VPN.
In a Hurry? Here are 5 Best Free VPNs for iPhone
- NordVPN: 30-day Money-Back Guarantee | Unblocks all streaming sites | Costs: $3.49/mo
- ExpressVPN: Avail a 30-Day Refund Easily | Simple iPhone/iPad application | Costs: $6.67/mo
- Windscribe: Free VPN with 10GB Data/Month | Download app from Apple Store.
- TunnelBear: 500 MB Data with Free Plan | Native app available for iOS devices.
- Hotspot Shield: Limited Data for Free Users | Simple and Reliable apps.
The Best Free VPNs for iPhone
Since most free VPNs come with slow speeds, poor server infrastructure, and restrictive data limits, there aren’t many you can rely on. So, I conducted an extensive research to bring you the 5 best free VPNs for iPhones and iPads, from a list of 180+ providers!
1. NordVPN: 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
More than 5200 servers are offered by this provider, far higher than what free VPNs can ever offer to users. It also has incredible security features that include Double VPN, kill switch, Onion over VPN, etc. along with chat support, fast speeds and more.
Download: Official NordVPN iOS App
2. ExpressVPN: Avail a 30-Day Refund Easily
This is probably the best VPN in the world right now, with unmatched speeds, incredible unblocking capabilities, excellent chat support, ultra-secure privacy protection and much more.
Its paid plan comes at $6.67/month (Yearly subscription deal).
Download: Official ExpressVPN iOS App
3. Windscribe: Free VPN with 10GB Data/Month
Another secure free VPN, Windscribe is a bit new however, it been stellar on the performance front with inherent stability.
It allows its users to experience 10 GB of free bandwidth each month, but you can increase that limit to 15 GB if you happen to tweet about it.
8 server locations are included in the free plan, but the speeds won’t be optimized or as fast as you can get in the premium version of the service.
Download: Windsribe Free iOS App
4. TunnelBear: 500 GB Data with Free Plan
Probably the most secure free service out there, Tunnelbear is the one to go for first if you are looking for a non-paid VPN for your iPhone.
Restrictions are aplenty on the free service however, with a user being allowed just 500 MB of bandwidth each month on the free plan.
But you can remove them whenever you want by upgrading to the paid plans. Their best plan is the yearly deal costing you just $4.99/month.
Download: TunnelBear Free iOS App
5. Hotspot Shield: 500Mb Data for Free Users
This one is more generous as a free service as compared to Tunnelbear, allowing you the option to choose between servers in 15 countries, getting protected by military-grade encryption and more.
Hotspot shield is an old name in the VPN industry, gaining user trust and credibility over the years.
It also offers 500 MB of bandwidth each day, which makes up around a 15 GB data limit on the free service each month. However, you won’t have access to many other features like multi-logins or chat support unless you plan to go premium.
The Free version of this service is supported by ads.
Download: HotSpot Shield Free iOS App
What a Free iPhone VPN Can’t Do?
Free VPNs won’t be the same as the premium ones, that’s a given, but do you have any idea on how glaring this difference can be?
Here is a rundown on the things that your Free VPN won’t be able to do:
- Free VPNs don’t offer fast speeds.
- Free VPNs don’t often offer unlimited bandwidth.
- Free VPNs don’t have enough servers.
- Free VPNs don’t support OpenVPN protocol.
- Free VPNs most often don’t have military grade encryption.
- Free VPNs cant unblock geo-restricted streaming sites like Netflix US etc.
- Free VPNs don’t work well in China.
- Free VPNs can have DNS or WebRTC leaks.
- Free VPNs cannot often support Torrenting.
Why Do You Need a VPN for iPhone?
Despite its main purpose being encrypting your traffic and masking your IP location, a VPN helps you in many ways.
Firstly you can select any countries server and it will seem like you are there. For example, you’re in Germany but you need to connect to a website that’s only accessible in Oman, connecting to Oman’s server will allow you to access it.
A VPN also helps you to get rid of ISP speed throttling along with many security features such as a kill switch, double hop and high level of encryption.
How to Setup a VPN on iPhone – Step by Step Guide
Setting a VPN on iPhone is really easy if you are using a client software i.e. a dedicated app for IOS offered by your VPN provider. Just download it from the iTunes store and pay for it:
- The app will require your user credentials to proceed further (they are offered by every provider when you sign up or register and normally, include your username and password)
- Once you have entered your credentials, login.
- After logging in, select the server of your choice.
- Enjoy boundless streaming and security, whichever it is that you’re looking for.
Wrapping Things Up
If you use the above mentioned free VPN servers that we have recommended you can be assured that you have access to the best features and security the free domain has to offer to iPhone users. But if you still want to use paid vpns then check our Premium VPNs for iPad guide.
If you have any comments or suggestions for us, feel free to include them in our comments section below. I will personally respond to all your queries and provide as much assistance as possible!