Best VPN for Samsung Smart TV: Samsung Smart TV VPN Installation In 2022
Getting the best VPN for Samsung smart TV can unlock a whole new world of content, including the international database of titles for Prime Video, BBC iPlayer and Netflix. Even better, VPNs keep your streaming habits private so that only you know what you watch.
Do you want to seamlessly stream your favorite content while sinking into the couch instead of huddling around a computer screen?
In this guide, I’ll show you how to use a VPN on your Samsung Smart TV via 4 different methods, along with recommendations on the best VPNs!
Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV: Quick Overview
5 Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV in 2022: In-Depth Analysis
Contrary to popular belief, a VPN can actually work with your smart TV. Of course, not all smart TVs will natively support such apps, but there are some worth the money:
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN for Samsung Smart TV
This provider is the overall best VPN in the marketplace, but can I install ExpressVPN on my Samsung Smart TV?
Well, yes. ExpressVPN offers a dedicated MediaStreamer feature that can be easily installed on your Smart TV and the ExpressVPN Samsung TV is a perfect combination to access and watch the geo-restricted content on famous platforms.
From unblocking and torrenting to leveraging exceptional anonymity online, ExpressVPN checks all the right boxes, hence why it usually ranks first in most VPN listings.
Similar to the above, ExpressVPN offers amazing multi-platform compatibility. You also gain access to a huge listing of 3000+ servers in more than 160 locations worldwide, including the United Kingdom and Canada.
I performed the ExpressVPN speed test on the US server using its OpenVPN protocol and I was amazed to witness this VPN achieve an average download speed of 93 Mbps and an average upload speed of 8 Mbps.
Just like the above recommendations, ExpressVPN does not face any issues in bypassing geo-restrictions for Netflix US/UK/JP and other streaming platforms such as HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer.
The only catch; its price tag. A 1 year plan will cost you $6.67/mo.
For more information, check out this full ExpressVPN Review!
2. NordVPN: Secure VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Also, NordVPN has a strict logging policy and the service has also been audited by PwC which is one of the big four auditing companies in the world.
But the main question is: can I install NordVPN on my Samsung Smart TV? Well, most definitely. Using the SmartPlay feature, you can easily work out the NordVPN Samsung TV duo.
To confirm this, I performed the NordVPN speed test. Using the NordLynx protocol, I achieved an average download speed of 91 Mbps and an average upload speed of 8 Mbps.
The VPN also offers a 7-day free trial on handheld devices and a money-back guarantee which you can hack and use the service free for 30 days.
- Safe Jurisdiction (Panama).
- SmartPlay Feature.
- Onion over VPN.
- Dedicated IPs.
- Double VPN.
- Threat Protection.
- P2P Servers.
- Strict “no logs” Policy.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee.
- No dedicated router app.
For more information, check out the full NordVPN Review!
3. Surfshark: Best Multiple Devices VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Surfshark is the best multiple devices VPN that imposes no limits on simultaneous connections. This VPN may be a new entry in the marketplace, but one that is quickly growing and ranked second in the most budget-friendly VPN services.
Despite being incredibly inexpensive, Surfshark has become a prominent name like Express and Nord, just in a short time.
But can you get Surfshark on Samsung smart TV? Well, yes, you can. Surfshark is compatible with many routers and it also offers a Smart DNS feature so you can easily configure it on your Samsung smart TV to bypass geo-restrictions on famous streaming platforms.
I performed the Surfshark speed test to know the VPN’s full potential and the results were astonishing. The US server achieved an average download speed of 89 and an average upload speed of 8 Mbps.
Using multiple servers, I tried to access geo-blocked services like US Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video US, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and I was able to access each one of them with no buffering issues.
Moreover, Surfshark provides amazing cross-platform functionality too. If you have a Samsung Smart TV that uses the Android OS, you can download the app from Google Play Store and enjoy remarkable protection on a bigger screen.
A 2-year plan will set you back by $2.49/mo. only. Features you gain access to include CleanWeb (ad/tracker blocker), MultiHop, Whitelister and NoBorders Mode (allows you to use a VPN in heavily restricted countries).
For more information, check out this full review of Surfshark!
4. CyberGhost: User-Friendly VPN for Samsung Smart TV
CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN that offers dedicated, easy-to-navigate apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, which will work smoothly on your Android-based Samsung Smart TV. The VPN also offers lightweight extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
The provider is based in Bucharest, Romania, which is a safe jurisdiction since it is not a part of the 14 Eyes. The VPN also has a strict no-logs policy. However, it has not been audited since 2012.
CyberGhost has a massive network of 6000+ servers in 88 countries. The service also offers in-house NoSpy data center servers for maximum anonymity.
While testing the CyberGhost servers for speed, I achieved an average download speed of 82 Mbps and an average upload speed of 8 Mbps.
Connected to the US server, I successfully accessed the geo-blocked VoDs, including Netflix US, HBO Max, Disney+, and Hulu. Then I connected to a UK server to access BBC iPlayer and everything worked out smoothly.
CyberGhost is one of the few VPNs that offer a 45-day money-back guarantee offer. This gives users extra 2 weeks if we compare it to other VPNs on our list.
- 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee.
- 7 Simultaneous Connections.
- Smart DNS.
- NoSpy Data Center.
- Split Tunneling.
- Kill Switch.
- Smart Rules.
- Strict No-Logs Policy.
- Last independent audit was in 2012.
For more information, check out this full review of CyberGhost!
5. PureVPN: Budget-Friendly VPN for Samsung Smart TV
It has amazing ratings on Trustpilot due to the huge amount of features it offers. NAT Firewall, Split Tunneling, Ad/Tracker blocking, IPv6 Leak Protection, Port Forwarding, Kill Switch, DDoS Protection, dedicated IPs, and so on.
I performed the PureVPN speed test with the WireGuard protocol it offers and I was able to achieve an average download speed of 80 Mbps and an average upload speed of 8 Mbps on the US server.
Best part of all: you only have to pay $1.99/mo. on a 2-year plan, which is perhaps the cheapest in the marketplace, second to Surfshark. All in all, the VPN is a great choice for Smart TV users.
For more information, check out this full review of PureVPN!
Why Do You Need a Samsung Smart TV VPN?
If you reside anywhere outside the US and UK, these platforms will restrict the content available to you. This is because of licensing issues from production houses that mandate geographical restrictions.
This is why you need a VPN service for your Samsung Smart TVs. It gives users the ability to unlock a whole new world of entertainment by granting the shifting of locations via connecting to different servers.
For instance, if you want to stream “Avengers: Infinity War” on Netflix. You can simply connect to a US server and unblock the movie by pretending to be a local. How do you like them apples? So, why wait…
How Do I Install a VPN on Samsung Smart TV?
To access all of these advantages and gain more value out of your Smart TV, you need to know the ways through which you can set up a VPN on your Smart TV first. So, here are 4 easy methods on how to install VPN on Smart TV:
- Configuring a VPN on your Router
- Getting a Preconfigured VPN Router
- Changing Your TV’s DNS Settings
- Sharing your VPN Connection from PC
Method 1: Configuring a VPN on Your Router
Setting up a VPN on your router is the best method for initializing a VPN connection on your Samsung Smart TV. Since your entire network gets encrypted, you can receive VPN protection on your Smart TV directly through the Wi-Fi:
- Download OpenVPN Configuration Files from any of the VPNs listed above.
- Go to your router settings by entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. in the web browser.
- Click on the “Services” tab and open the “VPN” sub-tab in the control panel.
- Enable “Start OpenVPN Client” option.
Start Filling in the OpenVPN Client Settings
- You will now gain access to OpenVPN Configuration Panel, where you can enter custom VPN settings.
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file or server provided from the VPN you signed up with.
- Port Address: You will get this address from your VPN too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES.
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
For a thorough explanation process, visit our dedicated guide on how to install ExpressVPN on a router.
Method 2: Getting a Pre-Configured VPN Router
For non-techy users, the above process may get a little difficult to understand. As an alternative, I usually recommend that Samsung Smart TV users wanting a VPN to get a pre-configured VPN router, as they are easily configurable.
The experts at FlashRouters make available plenty of pre-configured DD-WRT and Tomato VPN routers. They have a listing of over 16 different VPN services, among which I personally recommend going for ExpressVPN.
Their routers are among the only few that come with a built-in app too. It is known as the ExpressVPN Router app. If you want access to this app, it comes free for users of specific Linksys router models. These include:
- WRT1900AC 13J1
- WRT1900AC 13J2
Method 3: Changing Your DNS Settings (No Router Method)
You can also access website unblocking features by setting up a SmartDNS on your Samsung Smart TV. SmartDNS are offered by VPN Providers themselves. Here is you can set it up on your Samsung Smart TV:
- Buy a valid ExpressVPN subscription.
- Go to ExpressVPN’s DNS Settings Page. Sign in with your ExpressVPN account if required.
- Click on “Register my IP address” under the IP address registration tab.
- Turn on the toggle button for “Automatically register my IP address”.
- Visit the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer page and you will see two MediaStreamer IPs. Keep this tab open, we’ll need the IPs later.
- Turn on your Samsung Smart TV and go to the Menu.
- Head to “Network” and then select “Network Status”.
- Click on “IP Settings”.
- Select “DNS Settings” and then select “Enter Manually”.
- Now enter the DNS server IP addresses from step 5.
- Click on “OK” and then “Close”.
- Reboot your Samsung Smart TV for the settings to apply.
- You are now connected to ExpressVPN.
- Enjoy your Samsung Smart TV to the Fullest!
Method 4: Sharing Your PC Connection (Without Router Method)
In this method, you will be “sharing” your computer’s internet connection physically with your Smart TV. The process is quite simple and does not require any rocket science. Follow the easy steps below:
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Smart TV and Windows Computer.
- Click on “Windows” icon on the bottom left corner of your PC/laptop.
- Select “Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Now you will need to identify your VPN connection here.
- Try to find the option named “TAP- Win32 Adaptor V9”.
- This is usually the name for the VPN connection using the OpenVPN protocol.
- Right-click > Select Properties > Click on the “Sharing” tab.
- Check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Scroll down and select the exact Ethernet port used to connect with your Smart TV.
- Restart your computer and you will now be using a VPN for your Smart TV.
How to Find the Best VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
When choosing the best VPN for Samsung Smart TV, there are several factors you need to consider:
- High-Speed: A good VPN for streaming should offer high-speed connections. This is important because a slow VPN will result in buffering and lagging when trying to stream HD content.
- Large Server Network: A large server network means you can always find a fast and reliable connection, no matter where you are in the world. This is important for streaming because it ensures that there’s always a server nearby that can unblock the content you want to watch.
- Compatibility: Not all VPNs are compatible with Samsung Smart TVs. Some require you to use a separate router or an app, while others have apps that can be installed directly on the TV.
- Streaming Support: The best VPNs for Samsung Smart TVs will offer dedicated streaming servers that are optimized for speed and reliability. This means you can unblock geo-restricted content from around the world, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more.
- Strong Security and Data Privacy: Offering high-end security and maintaining the privacy of a user is the primary job of a VPN. A reputable VPN will keep your data safe and your identity private. Look for a provider with military-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and DNS leak protection.
- Fast Customer Support: If you run into any problems setting up or using your VPN, it’s important to have customer support on hand to help you out. The best providers offer 24/7 customer support via live chat or email.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
Unfortunately, you can’t use a free VPN with a Smart TV if you want to unblock streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. This is because free VPNs don’t have the resources to invest in the high-speed servers needed for streaming.
What’s more, free VPNs are often unreliable and slow, which will result in buffering and lagging when trying to stream HD content.
And even if you do manage to find a free VPN that works with Samsung Smart TV, chances are it won’t offer the strong security and privacy features you need to keep your data safe.
For these reasons, we recommend using a paid VPN for Samsung Smart TV. With a paid subscription, you’ll get access to high-speed servers, reliable streaming support, and powerful security features.
Plus, most VPN providers offer a money-back guarantee, so you can try out the service risk-free.
Nonetheless, if you still want to use a free VPN, then we recommend using a freemium VPN. These are the free versions of paid VPNs. The best free VPN for Samsung smart TV is Windscribe, it’s fast, reliable, and offers a decent server network.
What are the key Differences Between Paid and Free VPNs?
There are several key differences between paid and free VPNs:
As paid VPNs generate revenue from subscribers, they have the resources to invest in strong security features, such as military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy. This keeps your data safe from hackers and government surveillance.
Free VPNs, on the other hand, often cut corners when it comes to security. Some even sell your data to third parties for profit or earn from intrusive ads. This leaves you vulnerable to cybercrime.
Paid VPNs invest in high-speed servers to give you a fast and reliable connection. This is important for streaming because it ensures that there’s always a server nearby that can unblock the content you want to watch.
Free VPNs, on the other hand, often have a limited number of servers, which results in slower speeds and more dropped connections. This can be frustrating when trying to stream HD content.
3. Reliability and Customer Service
A paid VPN will offer reliable customer service in case you run into any problems setting up or using the service. This is important because it ensures that there’s someone on hand to help you out if you encounter any issues.
Free VPNs, on the other hand, often have little to no customer support. This can leave you feeling frustrated and helpless if you run into any problems.
FAQs: Best VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Are Samsung smart TVs Android?
A Samsung smart TV is not an Android TV. The Samsung smart TV is operating through Tizen OS or Orsay OS. However, it is possible to convert your Samsung smart TV to function as an Android TV by connecting external hardware (Android box) through HDMI.
How do I hide my IP address on my Samsung smart TV?
The best way to hide your IP address on Samsung smart TV is to use a VPN. You can use a VPN by installing it on your Samsung TV and then it encrypts all the data that your device sends over the internet, keeping you anonymous on the web.
How do I stop someone from connecting to my smart TV?
Here’s how you can stop someone from connecting to your Samsung smart TV:
Step 1: Turn on your Samsung smart TV and go to Settings.
Step 2: Select “General” on the left panel and go to “External Device Manager”.
Step 3: Scroll down and select “Device Connect Manager”.
Step 4: Go to “Device List”.
Step 5: Now select the device you want to remove from the list and click on “Deny” to stop that device from connecting to your Smart TV.
Do Samsung TVs have a built-in VPN?
No, Samsung TVs don’t have a built-in VPN. In fact, the operating system on which Samsung TV runs, Tizen OS, doesn’t support VPN connections. You either have to install a VPN on your router or use a Smart DNS feature.
Can I use my Samsung TV in another country?
Yes, you can switch your Smart Hub region to any country including the US, UK, Germany, India, and more to access apps which are not available in your country. Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: Go to the Settings.
Step 2: Select “General” and then select “Setup” and choose “Reset”.
Step 3: Enter the Pin Code. The default pin code is ‘0000’ if you haven’t changed it.
Step 4: Set country to “Other”.
Step 5: Use the sequence ” », 2, 8, 9, « ” on your remote control on the Terms and Conditions page.
Step 6: Now change the region of your Samsung TV to any region you prefer.
How do I watch Netflix on my Samsung smart TV with a VPN?
To watch Netflix on your Samsung smart TV, follow these steps:
Step 1: Sign up for one of the VPNs from our list. I recommend ExpressVPN.
Step 2: Use any of the 4 methods to set up ExpressVPN.
Step 3: Connect to a location server of your choice.
Step 4: Launch the Netflix app on your Samsung smart TV.
Step 5: Start watching your favorite show with a VPN.
Can I use a US smart TV in Europe?
Yes, your TV can work in Europe as long as you convert the voltage with an adpater/converter. The voltage for Europe is 240 volts, while for the US, it is 120 volts.
Why protect your Samsung smart TV?
You need to protect your Samsung smart TV because hackers can access your device and steal your personal information. Additionally, malware can infect your TV and give hackers control of it. A VPN will encrypt your connection and prevent hackers from accessing your device.
Wrapping Things Up
VPNs are fast becoming crucial and indispensable as geographical restrictions and content limitations increase worldwide on streaming platforms and a myriad of websites.
If you have any queries or have better recommendations, do not hesitate to drop a comment below. Also, feel free to share this guide with other Samsung Smart TV users.