5 Best VPN for Malaysia in 2022 – Secure and Fast
Searching for a VPN in Malaysia? Whether you want to stream your favorite platform movies and shows unavailable in your country or improve your online security, the best VPN for Malaysia can help.
There are numerous websites, online services, and web content that are blocked, which are against their government laws. In order to prevent a social uprising and increasing religious conservatism, these laws will become stricter with the passage of time.
All of these factors have made a living and visiting Malaysia quite difficult and impossible without using the best VPN services in Malaysia.
Finding a reliable VPN is not an easy task. So, we have tested over 140 VPNs and selected the top 5 VPNs that work exceptionally well in bypassing geo-restriction from Malaysia.
Currently, ExpressVPN is the user’s top choice. Its memberships come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you may use them risk-free. If you decide it’s not for you, you can quickly ask for a refund using the live chat service that is available around the clock.
5 Best Malaysia VPNs for 2022: Quick Overview
If you are in a rush, take a glance at our 5 best VPN Malaysia to bypass website restrictions.
- ExpressVPN: Best VPN Service for Malaysia. High-speed RAM servers for travelers and Malaysians. 5 simultaneous connections. 1-Year Plan at $6.67/mo + 3-months free
- NordVPN: Secure & Private Malaysia VPN. 5,300 servers in 59 countries. 15 situated in Malaysia. Simultaneous connections on 6 devices. 2-Year Plan costs $3.99/mo
- Surfshark: Fastest VPN for Malaysian Users. 3,200+ servers in 63 countries. 15 situated in Malaysia. Unlimited simultaneous connections. 2-Year Plan costs $2.49/mo
- CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price & Value. Dedicated IPs available and 10 servers in Malaysia. Simultaneous connections on 7 devices. 3-Year Plan costs $2.29/mo
- PureVPN: Affordable VPN for Malaysian Users. 18 Servers in Kaula Lampur and 12 in Johor Bahru. Simultaneous connections on 10 devices. 5-Year Plan costs $1.99/mo
5 Best VPNs for Malaysia To Have Internet Freedom — In-Depth Analysis (Updated in 2022)
We have selected the 5 best VPNs for Malaysia on the basis of the following factors:
- A large global network of servers for international users to unblock content
- Service reliability and speed
- Strong encryption protocols to reduce the risk of data loss
1. ExpressVPN: Best VPN Service for Malaysia
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2011, ExpressVPN is the preferred choice for many Malaysian users, perfect for leveraging security and speeds. It has a verified no logs policy that has even been audited by two firms, PWC and Cure53!
Thanks to ExpressVPN’s HD quality streaming and unlimited bandwidth, you can use the Malaysian server to easily watch a variety of local channels such as DidikTV KPM, TV Alhijrah, TVs, Bernama TV, etc., without interruptions.
When doing a speed test of ExpressVPN‘s Malaysian server on 100 Mbps connections, it delivers a exceptional download speed of 86.38 Mbps and upload speed of 80.42 Mbps.
ExpressVPN has a TrustedServer technology, which uses RAM-only servers so that your data cannot be written to hard drives and is deleted each time the server restarts. Other security features include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and a Lightway protocol.
You have apps available for all popular platforms, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. For connectivity, users have access to 3000+ servers in 94+ countries in more than 160 locations worldwide. You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial for testing the product or avail of their 30-day refund policy.
Every ExpressVPN app I tested is user-friendly for beginners. However, if you run into any issues, you can also contact customer care via email or live chat, which is available around the clock.
If you want to receive the best value, I recommend going for ExpressVPN’s 1-year plan that will cost you $6.67/mo . Once subscribed, Malaysian users can also easily bypass geoblocks and content limitations on streaming platforms like:
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2022 ExpressVPN Review!
2. NordVPN: Secure & Private Malaysia VPN
If you are looking for a secure VPN for Malaysia, then NordVPN is the best option. It will keep you safe there with the highest level of security, privacy, and data protection. Residents of Malaysia can use NordVPN’s 5600+ servers across 59+ countries worldwide to bypass all blocks.
Launched in 2012 and based in Panama, NordVPN is an excellent choice for security and privacy-conscious Malaysian users. It is also among the few to get its security audits done back in 2012, ensuring users remain safe at all times and even offers ex-pats 17 servers in Malaysia.
These servers use obfuscation technologies and can assist you in effortlessly accessing various streaming services in Malaysia. We used the Malaysian IP address to access numerous local channels, including RTM Sports, KEY, TV Alhijrah, etc. and were able to watch all content, including geo-restricted news websites.
Additionally, it offers the fastest and unique tunnelling technology named as NordLynx. NordVPN, divides its servers into groups based on their specialties. Fast speeds and reliable encryption are ensured because it contains features designed expressly for anti-DDoS, double VPN, video streaming, dedicated IP, & Tor over VPN.
Due to the service’s unlimited capacity and quick speeds, NordVPN, on its Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian server, delivered a download speed of 83.28Mbps and an upload speed of 42.14Mbps during our speed test on a 100 Mbps connection.
The provider is free from all WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks, uses AES-256 ciphers with an RSA-4096 key and SHA384 for hash authentication, and provides binge-watchers with a specialized list of servers for unblocking popular Video-on-Demand (VoD) services, which include:
- 5100+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2022 NordVPN review!
3. Surfshark: Fastest VPN for Malaysian Users
Launched in 2018 and based in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark is the best Malaysian VPN in the marketplace currently. For connectivity, users have access to 3200+ servers in countries worldwide, among which 15 are situated in Malaysia.
This allows ex-pats to enjoy local content from varied countries while at the same time allowing residents to bypass geo-restrictions. If you want to test the service, you have a 7-day Surfshark free trial for iOS and Android devices. As for other platforms, there is a generous 30-day refund.
Surfshark provides excellent connection speeds with zero buffer time. For instance, in our Surfshark speed test, the Malaysian server provided an average download speed of 85.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 48.64 Mbps over a 100 Mbps connection.
Surfshark even makes available static IPs, Multi-Hop servers, CleanWeb, and unlimited simultaneous connections on a single subscription. The best part of all: the VPN faces no issues in unblocking a multitude of streaming services, such as:
- 1,700+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of Surfshark!
4. CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price & Value
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is a renowned choice for unblockers and streamers around the world. It offers the largest server network in the industry, making it perfect for travelers who want to shift locations and appear as local when browsing through discounts/deals.
CyberGhost easily manages to bypass geo-restrictions and VPN bans on Netflix and other popular streaming sites like Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now with ease. In fact, the service offers specialized servers that you can find through the search bar!
The CyberGhost servers in Malaysia delivered download speeds of 79.42 Mbps and upload rates of 43.91 Mbps throughout our speed test on a 100 Mbps connection.
For connectivity, users have access to over 6000+ servers in 88 countries worldwide, along with features like 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, and a navigation bar for finding specific servers. The provider even utilizes obfuscation technology for unblocking streaming platforms.
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- 6,200+ Servers in 90 Countries
- 1-Day Free VPN Trial Available
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- Slow Customer Support
For more information, check out this full 2022 CyberGhost review!
5. PureVPN: Affordable VPN for Malaysian Users
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, PureVPN is a low-cost option for Malaysian users. It has been endorsed by Forbes, audited by AltiusIT, and offers ex-pats access to 18 servers in Kaula Lampur and 12 in Johor Bahru to access local content without any difficulties.
Malaysian residents can bypass all restrictions on social media platforms, Google services, and streaming platforms via PureVPN’s impressive infrastructure of 6500+ servers in 78 countries. If you want to test the service, you even have a 30-day refund and PureVPN free trial available.
When doing a speed test on a 100 Mbps connection, PureVPN offers an excellent download speed of 87.35 Mbps and an upload speed of 86.93 Mbps on its Malaysian server.
To get the best value, I recommend going for their 5-year plan that starts at $1.99/mo . Once subscribed, you can get access to the “popular websites” menu in all available apps to unblock streaming platforms. These include:
- DDoS Protection Feature
- 2000+ Servers in 140 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple Protocol Support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2022 review of PureVPN!
Methods to find out the Best Malaysian VPNs
Here we’ll tell you the methods on which we have tested 100+ VPNs and picked out the 5 Best Malaysian VPNs.
The features we considered when compiling this list of suggestions are listed below.
Anonymity and privacy:
When selecting the best VPN for Malaysia, online anonymity and privacy were our top priorities because of the restrictions applied by their government.
A VPN should guarantee that a user’s online actions are completely confidential, particularly in light of the government and other organizations who constantly snoop around the internet to track users’ activity.
To prevent this, we made sure the VPNs we listed here strictly adhere to a no-logs policy and are also based in nations without data retention regulations.
We have made sure the VPN has all the security measures you need to stay secure in Malaysia, so we look for all the important security features like Military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, kill switch and obfuscation before including them in our top recommendations.
One of a primary function of a good VPN is to bypass geographic limitations. The VPNs mentioned above are incredibly effective at unblocking Malaysia-specific websites and other international streaming services.
Users in Malaysia should be provided with easier access to geo-restricted platforms like Netflix US, HBO Max, and Hulu.
Last but not least, Speed is exceptional when looking for the Best VPN Service for unblocking, streaming, gaming, and torrenting. So we have made sure all the VPNs we have chosen delivers excellent speeds without buffering.
Why You Should Use a VPN in Malaysia?
- Engage in P2P/Torrenting Activities: Probably one of the main reasons why anyone comes looking for a VPN in the first place. The technology lets you download torrents securely and anonymously without worrying about copyright infringement notices.
- Access to Geo Restricted Streams: VoDs have a different library based on region. If you are based in Malaysia, you can use a streaming VPN to unblock more movies/TV shows on a huge list of services that include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Prime Video, etc.
- Keep You Safe on Public Wi-Fi Networks: Using public Wi-Fi can put your personal data at risk. Since you are using a variety of different Wi-Fi access points every day when traveling, secure all activities via a VPN to keep you anonymous.
- Avoid Government Surveillance: VPNs mask your IP address and shift your location to different countries. This ensures all your online activities remain untraceable, protecting you from the prying eyes of hackers, copyright infringement, and surveillance agencies.
- Protection against Cybercriminals: By connecting to a VPN, you can boost your security against hackers. This goes true, especially if you are an avid gamer. A VPN can secure you from DDoS attacks and swatting hoaxes.
Free VPNs that are Best for Malaysia
When it comes to signing up with VPNs, it is usually preferred to go with a premium service with an established reputation in the marketplace.
However, there are a few FREE providers too, which go the extra mile in delivering good privacy, security, performance, support, and apps compatibility. Among some of the most prominent for Malaysia include:
1. ProtonVPN: Unlimited Bandwidth for Free Users
Based in Switzerland, ProtonVPN is quite a popular free service; one that has recently even been banned by Russian agencies for its unbeatable encryption and security.
The service is among the few that works on Amazon Fire TV devices, allowing users to leverage entertainment by connecting to VPN servers at the utmost level of convenience.
- 600+ Servers in 40+ Countries.
- Strict No-Logging Policy.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee.
- Fewer Features with Free Plan.
2. Windscribe: Free VPN with 10GB Data/Mo
10GB is more than enough to judge how a VPN works when deployed in Malaysia and considering the above-average speeds, you will not have a lot of trouble accomplishing that goal.
The encryption standards are a bit weak then we would like them to be at Windscribe, but the firewall and ad-blocking feature more than makeup for these shortcomings.
- 10 GB Data Cap on Free Plan.
- Features ad-blocker and firewall.
- Supports P2P in All Countries.
- Customer Support is slow.
For more information, check out this full 2022 Windscribe review!
3. Hide.Me: 2GB Data Cap with Free Plan
With an incomparable reputation for protecting user privacy and religiously adhering to the policy of keeping zero user logs, Hide.Me is a great free Malaysian VPN
The encryption is top grade and can match the one provided by even paid services, and its location in Malaysia takes it away from the purview of draconian data retention laws.
The data cap for the free version is 2GB, which is pretty good if you want to keep it as a great second option to complement a paid service you have already subscribed to.
- 53 Servers in 32 Countries Worldwide.
- Exceptional Cross-Platform Support.
- Dedicated IPs Available for VoDs.
- Pricey Monthly Plan.
Which VPNs to Avoid using in Malaysia?
The VPNs listed above have been tested to offer maximum protection, audited zero-log policies, and are safe from WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks. A hacker cannot breach any of the above and track your activities online. Neither do you have to worry about the prying eyes of law enforcement.
However, the same cannot be said about all providers. In most cases, a VPN that is free will cover the costs of hosting and maintaining a VPN server by making you the product, selling your info to third parties, or sending botnet attacks to utilize bandwidth. Make sure to avoid these names:
- Setup VPN
- Dot VPN
Is It Legal To Use VPN In Malaysia?
In Malaysia, using a VPN is not expressly prohibited by any laws. This means that you can overcome content restrictions and secure your internet activity without worrying about breaching the law.
VPNs have already been adopted widely by the government, as well as by corporations and many other institutions. However, there is a condition. If you choose to use a VPN that is Malaysian-based, the government may occasionally ask the VPN service to share user data.
Keep in mind that using a VPN for illegal activities is not acceptable and it’s not legal in any country laws.
Best Malaysia VPN: FAQs
Should I use a VPN if I live in Malaysia?
Users in Malaysia should get a VPN to leverage better privacy & security online and avoid blocks on different websites/services banned by the Malaysian Government. It is a great tool for keeping yourself anonymous while exploring the internet how you want to.
How Can I Get a VPN in Malaysia?
- Subscribe for a VPN service from our list
- Download the provider’s VPN app
- Launch the app and sign in
- Select the regional server you want to connect
- Install the VPN certificate if prompted
- Go to Settings>General>VPN
- Tap on the VPN button to switch it on
- Launch VPN service and connect
Is VPN necessary in Malaysia?
Yes, because many websites and services are unavailable in Malaysia, so in order to bypass those restrictions, VPN is necessary.
How much is NordVPN in Malaysia?
You can get a NordVPN subscription in Malaysia at RM15.12/mo on a 2-year deal.
How much is ExpressVPN in Malaysia?
The cost of ExpressVPN in Malaysia is RM34.10/mo with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How can I access US website from Malaysia?
To access US websites from Malaysia, you need to install a VPN, then connect to a US server and get access to all the US-based sites and platform services.
How can I watch Disney Hotstar in Malaysia?
Get a VPN and connect to a server where Disney+ is available, e.g., ExpressVPN, to watch Disney Hotstar in Malaysia.
Can I use VPN for Netflix in Malaysia?
Yes, with the help of a VPN, you can watch Netflix and other streaming services in Malaysia.
Wrapping Things Up
Make sure to pick up the best VPN Malaysia before visiting this beautiful place to not miss out on your favorite shows and movies. We suggest you install ExpressVPN for a better experience.
ExpressVPN is offered at $6.67/mo (Save 49% and receive 3 extra months FREE with a 12-month subscription) and offers a risk-free 30-day refund policy. It is equipped with strong security features, excellent unblocking capabilities, torrent-friendly servers, and a global server network. It is currently the top VPN in Malaysia because of all these characteristics.