The Best Google Chromebook VPNs with Apps in 2020
Need to get the best VPN for Chromebook? Creation of Google, the famous is a low-cost laptop, extremely famous among the budget-conscious, travelers, and students. Regardless of what platform you use, reliance upon online services does raise a few concerns about privacy
After all, even on a Chromebook, your data is a risk of leaking or government surveillance. This is where getting the best VPN comes in, providing you the encryption and security needs on your laptop.
So without further ado, here is a list of reliable Chromebook VPNs:
5 Best Chromebook VPNs: Quick Overview
For those who want to skip ahead and are short on time, refer to this quick overview on the 5 best VPN for Chromebook in terms of privacy/security, streaming/unblocking, and more:
- Surfshark: Best VPN for Chromebook. Inexpensive, good app, and locations. Costs $2.49/mo
- PureVPN: Cheap Option for Chromebook. Good protection and great speeds. Costs $3.33/mo
- NordVPN: Secure VPN for Chromebook . Working app, strong security, speeds. Costs $3.71/mo
- ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Chromebook. Fast speeds and strong security. Costs $6.67/mo
- CyberGhost: Great for Chromebook Users. Easy-to-use client and strong privacy. Costs $2.75/mo
Best VPNs for Chromebook: In-Depth Analysis
Incredibly lightweight, low-powered, and fast speeds for computing tasks, Chromebooks are different broods of laptops. Unblock the best of Chrome OS’s capabilities with these VPN services:
1. Surfshark: Best VPN for Chromebook
Based in the British Virgin Islands and launched in 2018, Surfshark is the best VPN for Chromebook, thanks to its intuitive app design, interactive and easy-to-use menus, and plenty of configuration features for boosting your security and anonymity online.
The provider itself offers amazing speeds, unblocking capabilities, and advanced features, and users can even get a Surfshark Free Trial for testing on iOS and Android devices. As far as other platforms are concerned, you have a generous 30-day refund policy.
The best part of all: you only have to pay a low $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan and have access to over 1,700+ servers in 63+ countries, which also includes a list of static IPs. Most of which are capable of unblocking streaming platforms:
- Easy-to-Use Chromebook App
- 1,700+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of Surfshark!
2. PureVPN: Cheap Option for Chromebook
Headquartered in Hong Kong and founded in 2007, PureVPN is the best option for budget-hunters, offering an amazing application for Chromebook users. It comes equipped with a huge list of features and a network infrastructure of 3,200+ servers in 140+ countries worldwide.
You even have a Chrome extension available for browsers, which includes a list of specialty servers and modes for varied needs. Users can also feel relieved installing PureVPN, as the provider has a zero-logs policy, audited by the security firm, Altius IT.
If you opt for the 5-year plan, you will only have to pay $3.33/mo and will get access to the “popular websites” menu that allows users to unblock a huge list of streaming platforms directly from within the browser extension. These include:
- Working App for Chromebook
- DDoS Protection Feature
- 3,200+ Servers in 140 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple Protocol Support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of PureVPN!
3. NordVPN: Secure VPN for Chromebook
Based in Panama and launched in 2012, NordVPN is a great option for those who want to leverage maximum security and privacy online. Their Chromebook application is incredibly reliable, lightweight, and does not affect your browser speeds too much, hence its popularity.
Priced at a minimal $3.71/mo on a 2-year plan, Chromebook users of NordVPN get access to over 5,100+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide. The app is also quite user-friendly, free from bugs and errors.
NordVPN has a strict zero-logs policy and there have been no breaches of trust as far as this claim is concerned. Connections times with the extension were also incredibly fast, and I experienced no downtime when unblocking different streaming platforms, such as:
- Secure VPN App for Chromebook
- 5100+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2020 NordVPN review!
4. ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Chromebook
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2011, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs out there, offering a Chromebook application that works smoothly on Windows, Mac, and even Linux. The UI and UX are simply amazing and geared for layman users.
For connectivity, users have access to 3000+ servers in more than 160 locations worldwide. The Chromebook app itself is highly intuitive, user-friendly, and comes with easy-to-use navigation for instant unblocking. You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial for testing the product.
The only catch; ExpressVPN’s price tag. A 15-months plan will cost you $6.67/mo , but considering the VPNs reliability and unblocking capabilities, the price is justified. You can also use the provider to bypass geo-restrictions and content limitations on streaming platforms, such as:
- Working VPN for Chromebook
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of ExpressVPN!
5. CyberGhost: Great for Chromebook Users
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is another great and secure choice for streaming on Prime Video, which is famed for its easy-to-use cross-platform apps, attractive website design, strong OpenVPN encryption, and the huge server database.
In terms of features, CyberGhost offers 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, and a navigation bar on all apps. The provider is also free from all WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks and utilizes obfuscation for unblocking streaming platforms.
CyberGhost offers users the ability to unblock Netflix for users and other popular streaming sites like Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now with ease. In fact, the service offers specialized servers that you can find through the search bar!
- 1-Day Free VPN Trial Available
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- 6,200+ Servers in 90 Countries
- Stealth VPN Protection Feature
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- Slow Customer Support
For more information, check out this full 2020 CyberGhost review!
Which Chromebook VPNs to Avoid?
When it comes to selecting a VPN for Chromebook, you need to do your due diligence, as to not sign up with a server that lacks a native app, or poor security, risking your online anonymity. When researching for Chromebook VPNs, I also decided to list a few that you should avoid.
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
- Norton Secure VPN
Free Yet Reliable VPNs for Chromebook
Free VPNs are risky to use, as many rip you off your valuable data or act as a means to plant malware. Credibility is hard to find in the world of Free VPNs, but here are some less risky options:
1. Windscribe VPN
With a data cap of 10GB/month, Windscribe VPN is our go-to free service to unblock geo-restricted content whenever our Paid provider goes down for a bit.
Windscribe VPN is a relatively new name as compared to the rest of the services in this list, however, in such a small time, it has garnered a name for itself for providing matchless speeds with very little downtime.
- Windscribe Free Chromebook App
- Unlimited Device Connections
- 10 GB Data Cap Available
- Features AdBlocker/Firewall
- Supports P2P/File Sharing
- Customer Support is slow
2. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield is a US-based provider of VPN services, which keeps on gaining and losing its fame, due to a range of issues with its VPN app. However, if it is just for temporary use, as most FREE VPNS are – then it is a great choice for the masses.
he provider offers remarkable speeds for streaming and P2P/Torrenting with low latency. The only problem is that you have 500MB of data limit per day, totaling to 15GB per month.
- 500MB Daily Allowance
- Automatic Kill Switch
- No DNS Leaks Detected
- Chrome Extension
- Split Tunneling Available
- Slow Customer Support
While a data cap of 500 MB/month in the free plan by TunnelBear might turn off many people, the free provider more than makes up for this stinginess in bandwidth with an incredible commitment to security and privacy.
The only downside here is its data usage cap rounded off at just 500 MBs per month, which is enough if you are just looking for a browser or traverse the web and not indulge in any data-intensive activity.
- Easy-to-Use Chromebook App
- 20 servers on paid plans
- Multi-Logins on 5 Devices
- Zero Logs Policy
- Powerful encryption
- Usage Cap is too low
- No P2p Support
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of TunnelBear!
Established in 2014, ZenMate is a Berlin-based provider of secure VPN tunneling services. Initially, it was a free privacy extension for Chrome, but now even makes a premium version available that comes equipped with better features.
The provider curiously offers a highly respectable 2500+ servers out of just 74 countries. This is quite impressive, but the VPN still needs to improve its overall quality of connections.
- Working VPN Client for Chrome
- Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 2,500+ Servers in 74 Countries
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- No Logs Policy Verified
- Not the Best Jurisdiction
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of ZenMate!
Few VPNs can match the speeds provided by Hide.Me. One of the best Chromebook VPNs, the provider offers an impressive data cap of 2GB/month, which is enough for light-medium intensity browsing needs.
There were no DNS leaks when we checked with Hide.Me and there were no malware or virus infection signatures within its software, making it a safe Free VPN to recommend to our Chrome users.
- Free Extension for Chromebook
- Incredible Encryption Standards
- An explicit Zero Logs Policy.
- Customer Support is excellent
- Provides Great Speeds
- Servers in Just 3 Countries
- Fails to Unblock VoDs
Research Process to Find the Best VPN for Google Chromebook
When it comes to finding the best VPN for Chromebook, you may come across a huge list of options in the marketplace, both paid and FREE. However, you cannot just sign up with any service and need to be aware of certain features for usage on Chromebooks, which include:
- Compatibility – As compared to the VPN for PC, not every provider will offer support for Chromebook. Since the operating system is based on Linux, but its design is extremely different, you cannot just download the Linux version. Make sure to sign up with a provider that offers a dedicated app for Chrome OS.
- Logging – If VPNs engage in logging activities, recording your connection/session information, it defies the entire purpose of signing up with them in the first place. Make sure the best VPN for Chromebook you choose boasts a strict no-logs policy for maximum online protection.
- Speed – The last thing you need is suffering from poor speeds when using the internet on your Chromebook. Not only is it irritating, but it also makes downloading/streaming tasks incredibly stressful. Choose only the VPN for Chromebook with a proven reputation of strong performance and fast servers.
- Servers – Since Chromebook users are spread across the world, it is imperative that the provider you choose boasts a huge server database with plenty of locations around the world. This makes it easier to access geo-restricted websites via the Best VPN for Chromebook.
How to Setup a VPN on Chromebook?
- Open your Chromebook
- Select the “Time” at the bottom right
- Click on the “Settings” button
- Open up the “Network” section
- Select “Add Connection”
- Hit the “Add” button next to OpenVPN/L2TP
- Fill out the appropriate information required
- Click on the “Connect” button
Best VPN for Chromebook: FAQs
When it comes to using the Best Chromebook VPNs, many thoughts might arise about how it can protect your identity or boost your security. Among the most common queries, we get asked, include:
Does Chromebook Support Android VPN apps?
Since Chromebooks run on the Chrome OS, they are very limited options for supported Android VPN apps. While the laptop does support two important types of protocols: OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec, there is still a long way for the platform to start accepting Android apps.
Is It Safe to Use Free VPN on Chromebook?
Generally, free services have a tarnished reputation, as they cover for the costs of servers and support via other methods like ads and trackers. However, there are still a few secure options that actually go the extra mile in keeping your activity private and secure.
How to Cast a tab from Chromebook to Chromecast?
Open the Chrome browser and at the top right corner click “More Cast”. A pop-up box will appear asking you to select the device to send the “Cast” to. Once selected, choose whether you would like to share your entire screen or just the current tab in Chrome. Its simply called Chromecast.
Wrapping Things Up
If you want to keep your identity safe while using Chromebook, it is essential to use a VPN service. We hope that our about the Best VPNs for Chromebook will help you find a suitable option.
For any issues or better suggestions, do not hesitate on dropping a comment below. Also, feel free to share the article with your friends and family members!