Best VPN for Chromebook 2019 – Keep Your Data Secure at All Times!
In this fast-paced world, now dominated by the digital cosmos, there is a need for new technologies to make life simpler for us humans. In light of this, Google created the famous Chromebook, which is a low-cost laptop, extremely famous among the budget-conscious, travelers, and students. However, regardless of what platform/hardware you use, reliance upon online services does raise a few concerns about privacy, as all data is risk to leaking or government surveillance. This is where Best VPN comes in, providing you a list of the best VPN for Chromebook to leverage the utmost level of anonymity online!
What is a Google Chromebook?
The Chromebook is a new generation of laptops, making its way into the market on June 15, 2011. It is incredibly lightweight, low-powered, offering fast speeds for performing computing tasks instantly. Powered by the Chrome OS, it is also designed to be used primarily for the internet, with most of its documents and applications living and functioning on the cloud. It is a different breed of laptops altogether, which gives you the BEST of Google’s capabilities, at the touch of a few buttons.
How Google Chromebook Differs from Other Laptops and Notebook PCs?
In comparison to Mac and Windows 10 laptops, Chromebook comes under a different category altogether. They are CLOUD machines with a class of their own, essentially famous for their mobility and speed. On the other hand, standard laptops and notebooks, operate strictly offline. Subsequently, they rank in a different criteria. What makes Chromebook so special?
Everything actually! These remarkable devices are almost the size of ultrabooks, boasting a slim design, loaded with a long list of features. They are a good choice for first-time laptop owners, and often positioned high in the world of education. Brands that offer Chromebooks include Samsung, HP, Asus, and Acer, all of which run the Chrome OS. Streamlined operation, affordability, along with a polished interface, single-location Google-services, and Cortana assistance are their main selling points.
Is Your Data Secure On Chromebook?
This is a tricky question to answer, considering that regardless of what platform you use, if you want to leverage good security – it starts with how YOU manage your own data. In the case of Chromebooks, this requires you to properly secure your own Google account, as every little action and task is performed through it. Therefore, you must add a strong password for maximum protection, along with setting up two-factor authentication, which requires a code from the Google Authenticator app to login.
To boost your security and privacy further, there are a number of tweaks and configurations to use. In the Chromebook settings, restrict your sign-ins to just ONE account only, to prevent unauthorized individuals from ever getting access to your laptop or the data in it. You can also choose to give Google less information by switching your default browser to the now famous, DuckDuckGo, a privacy-focused search engine, which does not track your data or log any connection/session information.
Do You Really Need the Best VPN for Chromebook?
Now you know how to boost the security of your Chromebooks. However, does the tweaking mentioned above guarantee complete online safety too? Not exactly! This is why you must invest in a VPN solution to increase your anonymity online, and reduce the chances of data leakages. For more information on why you need the best VPN for Chromebook, continue reading below:
- Prevent Tracking/Surveillance – Many countries have strict internet laws that makes it mandatory for governments to spy on your personal activity. ISPs have the right to monitor/log all your data legally, without your permission. Using the best VPN for Chromebook ensures that your data remains hidden entirely!
- Secures Public Wi-Fi Networks – Chromebooks require an internet connection to access its complete capabilities. If you are a traveler and use public Wi-Fi’s a lot, using the best VPN for Chromebook is a good choice for preventing any snooping or hacking activity, ensuring your data remains safe from the public eyes.
- Unblock Streaming Sites Instantly – If you want to stream a particular movie/TV show on your Chromebook, you may often come across sites that impose geo-restrictions. The best VPN for Chromebook help unblock these premium sites, providing you access to complete content libraries.
- Engage in P2P/Torrenting – Copyright infringement laws prevent users from engaging in any P2P/Torrenting activity on Chromebooks or any other internet-enabled device. VPNs mask your IP address, cloaking your identity, making it easier to download torrents securely.
Features To Look in the Best VPN for Chromebook
When it comes to finding the best VPN for Chromebook, you may come across a huge list of options in the marketplace, both paid and FREE. However, you cannot just sign up with any service, and need to perform your due diligence. This requires being aware of certain features for usage on Chromebooks, which include but are not limited to:
- Compatibility – As compared to the VPN for PC, not every provider will offer support for Chromebook. Since the operating system is based on Linux, but its design is extremely different, you cannot just download the Linux version. Make sure to sign up with a provider that offers a dedicated app for Chrome OS.
- Logging – If VPNs engage in logging activities, recording your connection/session information, it defies the entire purpose of signing up with them in the first place. Make sure the best VPN for Chromebook you choose boasts a strict no logs policy for maximum online protection.
- Speed – The last thing you need is suffering from poor speeds when using the internet on your Chromebook. Not only is it irritating, but it also makes downloading/streaming tasks incredibly stressful. Choose only the VPN for Chromebook with a proven reputation of strong performance and fast servers.
- Servers – Since Chromebook users are spread across the world, it is imperative that the provider you choose boasts a huge server database with plenty of locations around the world. This makes it easier to access geo-restricted websites via the Best VPN for Chromebook.
Best VPNs for Chromebook in 2018
We understand that it can sometimes get incredibly infuriating to find a provider that best suits your budgetary needs and Chromebook requirements, especially since there are a huge list of options on the internet. To reduce the hassle, we have compiled a list of the Best VPNs for Chromebook, based on the factors mentioned above, which offer remarkable performance overall:
- $12.99$2.75Per Month
- DNS and IP Leak Protection for Unblocking
- 45-Day Money Back Guarantee and 7-day Trial
- 3000 Servers to Bypass Geo-Restrictions
- Secure Wi-Fi Feature for Security in Public
- Kill Switch and DNS/IP Leak Protection
- Mozilla and Chrome Browser Add-ons
- OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec and PPTP protocols
- $12.95$6.67Per Month
- iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, Android Apps
- “Stealth VPN” Servers for Regressive Countries
- Excellent WebRTC and DNS Leak Protection
- Split Tunneling and Automatic Kill Switch
- 2,000+ Servers in 148 Countries Worldwide
- SmartDNS and Network Lock Features
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- $12.95$6.67Per Month
- 700+ Servers in 35+ Countries
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- 200,000+ IP Addresses
- PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, Chameleon protocol support
- Supports all major platforms
- Offers NAT Firewall
- 3 Day Trial Version Offered
- $7.62Per Month
- Unlimited Bandwidth & Server Switches
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Offers Servers in 31 Countries
- Fast Performance
- Compatible with Multiple Platforms
- Offers PPTP, L2TP/IPSec & OpenVPN Protocols
- Zero Log Policy
- 5 Simultaneous Logins
- $11.95$2.99Per Month
75% Off EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT
- Works with US Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- 30-day Money Back Guarantee Available
- WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS Leak Protection
- Simultaneous Connections on 6 Devices
- Dedicated Servers for P2P & Streaming
- 5,228 servers in 62 countries worldwide
CyberGhost – Reliable Desktop App and Chrome Extension
Based in Romania, CyberGhost offers a dedicated application for Chrome OS users, which is incredibly easy-to-use and boasts an attractive design. It uses strong OpenVPN encryption for maximum security and offers the ability of connecting to 5 devices simultaneously while offering a 30-day hassle-free money back guarantee and a 7-day free trial. For further information, read our detailed guide on CyberGhost review.
- Dedicated App for Chrome OS.
- Chrome Extension Available.
- Global Coverage: 800 Servers.
- Multiple Connections on 5 Devices.
- Zero Logging Policy.
- Speeds Could be Faster.
ExpressVPN – Excellent Security/Privacy to Chromebook Users
ExpressVPN does good in meeting the requirements of Chromebook users, offering manual setup instructions for setting up VPNs for the Chrome OS. There is even a ExpressVPN Chrome Browser, which is a full desktop app, users can use. Features you receive upon signing up include three simultaneous connections, P2P/Torrenting, WebRTC Protection, and Automatic Kill Switch. Don’t forget to read our updated ExpressVPN review.
- OpenVPN Chrome Android App.
- Responsive Customer Service.
- Manual Chromebook VPN Guides.
- Servers in 84 Countries Worldwide.
- No Usage Logs for Maximum Privacy.
- Pricey Monthly Plans.
VyprVPN – Excellent Speeds for Streaming/Torrenting on Chromebooks
Though there is no app available from VyprVPN, the provider does offer a dedicated L2TP setup guide for Chrome OS, which works greatly with its service. You get access to servers in 70 countries, along with a SmartDNS feature, and a “Chameleon” stealth technology that boost your security, especially if you want to visit places like Iran or China. You even have a 30-day refund guarantee available.
- L2TP Chromebook Setup Guide.
- Boasts Own Server Infrastructure.
- “Chameleon” Technology.
- No Connection/Session Logs.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.
- Does Not Support Bitcoin.
Buffered – Remarkable Anonymity for Exploring an Unfiltered Internet
Similar to other providers, there is no dedicated Chrome OS app, which you can use on the Chromebook. However, the service does offer L2TP support in the form of guides. There is even a “Port Discovery” feature, which allows you to login on Wi-Fi at airports and hotels instantly. There is also a free trial available and a 30-day money back guarantee. Best part of all: you leverage fast speeds!
- L2TP Support for Chrome OS.
- Automatic Kill Switch.
- Servers in 41 Countries.
- 24/7 Live Chat Support.
- Fast Connection Speeds.
- Some Connection Logs
NordVPN – Privacy-Focused VPN App for Chromebook Users
Based in Panama, NordVPN is probably the most secure option for Chromebook users, who do not want their information logged or leaked to government agencies. All data is protected under Panama’s consumer protection act. You further receive strong security by a “Double Hop” service, which routes your VPN to two different servers to boost privacy. Read our comprehensive NordVPN review.
- Chrome Add-On Available.
- 30-Day Refund Policy.
- Six Simultaneous Connections.
- Zero Logs Provider.
- 4189 Servers in 62 Countries.
- Expensive Pricing.
Best VPNs for Chromebook Free
If you are looking for the Best VPNs for Chromebook, but cannot afford the costs of the premium services mentioned above, you can always rely on free providers. Of course, you will not receive the same level of security and privacy, but there are some FREE VPNs, which go the extra mile in delivering you a quality product. These include but are not limited to:
Best VPN Extensions for Chromebook
Though it is much wiser to rely on a dedicated VPN app for Chrome OS, many users are more comfortable using a browser extension. This is for those users who want to unblock websites instantly and shift servers directly from within their browser. If you are looking for the best VPN extensions for Chrome browser, below are a few suggestions:
- Private Internet Access (PIA).
How to Install VPN on Chromebook
If you find a dedicated Chrome app like that from CyberGhost, setting up a VPN is as simple as downloading the native software and then hitting the install button. However, if you want to install a VPN manually on Chromebook, you do have to indulge in a complicated process. Below we highlight all the steps for installing a VPN on Chromebook:
- Get the CA Certificate from your VPN provider and store it in your local storage.
- Open a new tab in the Chrome browser enter chrome://settings/certificates in the address bar.
- At the top of the page, click on the “Authorities” tab and then hit the “Import” button.
- A pop-up box will appear for verification that you “Truth this certificate”. Hit the Ok button.
- Wait for the certificate to import and install. Enjoy using the VPN.
Google VPN Service vs. Best VPN for Chromebook
All Chromebooks come equipped with the Google “Wi-Fi Assistant”, which allows users to connect to networks instantly and securely. The Google VPN is part of this service, which encrypts your internet connection, preventing snoopers and hackers from tricking the Wi-Fi instant by packet sniffing or linking to a en “evil twin” hotspot. Though the service is available FREE, it lacks on the many benefits offered by third-party providers, which include:
- Geo-Spoofing your location.
- Engaging in P2P/Torrenting activities.
- Hiding your internet activity from ISPs and government agencies.
Best VPN for Chromebook FAQ
When it comes to using the Best VPNs for Chromebook, many thoughts might arise about how it can protect your identity or boost your security. Among the most common queries we get asked, include:
Does Chromebook Support Android VPN apps?
Since Chromebooks run on the Chrome OS, they are very limited options of supported Android VPN apps. While the laptop does support two important types of protocols: OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec, there is still a long way for the platform to start accepting Android apps.
Is It Safe to Use Free VPN on Chromebook?
Generally, free services have a tarnished reputation, as they cover for the costs of servers and support via other methods like ads and trackers. However, there are still a few secure options that actually go the extra mile in keeping your activity private and secure.
How to Cast a tab from Chromebook to Chromecast?
Open the Chrome browser and at the top right corner click “More Cast”. A pop-up box will appear asking you to select the device to send the “Cast” to. Once selected, choose whether you would like to share your entire screen or just the current tab in Chrome. Its simpliy called Chromecast.
Wrapping Things Up
If you want to keep your identity safe while using Chromebook, it is essential to use a VPN service. We hope our Best VPNs for Chromebook guide helps you find a suitable option that best suits your needs and requirements. Regardless, if you come across any issues, or have any better suggestions, do not hesitate on dropping a comment below. Feel free to share the article with your friends and family members!