How to Install ExpressVPN on Router in Australia | Linksys, Asus & More
Typically, users install the VPN software on their devices and control their online anonymity through that app. However, there’s an easier way to stay on protection at all times by directly configuring the VPN on your router in Australia. Unlike other VPN services in the market, ExpressVPN is compatible with your routers which is partially why it’s considered the best VPN. This is why we’ve taken up how to install ExpressVPN on router in Australia!
Once you get ExpressVPN set up on your router, you don’t have to launch and connect to a VPN server every time you browse the internet – plus it’s a great hack to get unlimited simultaneous device connections in Australia.
ExpressVPN offers an expansive server network of 3000+ servers in 94+ countries and 6 server locations in Australia alone, along with an unmatched potential to bypass location-detection bots of restricted sites. In addition, ExpressVPN comes packed with advanced security features including 256-bit encryption, an efficient kill switch, and streaming-optimized servers.
With ExpressVPN on your router, you get to experience a secure and consistent internet experience even when your family engages in P2P/torrenting. So if you wondering that “How do I set up a VPN at home router in Australia?”, then you are at the right place, read this guide to find out the setup and installation process of ExpressVPN for your home network routers.
Can ExpressVPN be Installed on Any Router in Australia?
ExpressVPN can be installed on these routers in Australia:
|Linksys Routers||Linksys EA6200, Linksys WRT32X, Linksys WRT1200AC, Linksys WRT1900AC(S), Linksys WRT3200ACM|
|ASUS Routers||ASUS RT-AC68U (up to v3), ASUS RT-AC56(U/R/S), ASUS RT-AC87U|
|Netgear Routers||Netgear R6300v2, Netgear R6400v2, Netgear Nighthawk R7000, Netgear Nighthawk R7000P, Netgear Nighthawk R6700v3|
|Can Configure Manually||TP-Link Routers, ASUS (some other models), Sabai, Tomato, Xiaomi, Netduma, D-Link, DD-WRT|
Manually setting up ExpressVPN on router is complicated and time-taking—but pre-configured routers have a reputation for breaking budgets. We’ve outlined easy steps to install ExpressVPN on a router. Let’s begin!
How to Set Up the ExpressVPN Router App for Linksys Router in Australia
The setup guide will only work for the following models of Linksys routers in Australia:
- Linksys EA6200
- Linksys WRT1200AC
- Linksys WRT1900ACS
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J1
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J2
- Linksys WRT1900ACS V2
- Linksys WRT32X
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
Here’s how to install ExpressVPN on a Linksys router in Australia:
1. Download the ExpressVPN Firmware
- Subscribe to a router-friendly VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Head to the official website and log in to your ExpressVPN account.
- Select Set up on More Devices.
- On the left of your screen, locate Router then select your router model from the drop-down menu.
- Next, click on Download Firmware and copy your activation code for later use.
2. Turn on your Linksys Router and Connect it to the Internet
- Enter 192.168.1.1 in your web browser’s address bar.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the initial setup, then proceed to the next step.
3. Install the ExpressVPN Firmware for your Router
- In your web browser’s address bar, type 192.168.1.1 (if you changed your default gateway before, then search for it in your device settings).
- Enter your Linksys router password (default: admin) and select Sign In.
- Under Router Settings, click on Connectivity.
- Click on Choose File, and drop the ExpressVPN firmware file you downloaded earlier.
- Once the file uploads, select Start.
- Press Yes and Yes on the prompts shown to you.
- Next, select Ok to reboot your router.
- You’ve successfully installed ExpressVPN on your router.
4. Connect your Device to the Router
- Now, connect your device to the newly-enabled VPN router.
- The network will appear as your original Linksys router’s name.
5. Complete Setup on the Router
- Once you have successfully connected your device to the network, visit the ExpressVPN router setup page.
- Select Get Started.
- Next, paste your activation code here.
- Complete the setup process, and connect to your chosen server.
- You’ve successfully set up ExpressVPN for router.
How to Install ExpressVPN on ASUS Routers in Australia
To install ExpressVPN on ASUS routers in Australia, you have to download the ExpressVPN firmware and connect your ASUS router to the internet. For clarity, check out our detailed instructions above.
If you own any of the following ASUS routers, then our step-by-step guide will work for you.
- RT-AC68U (up to v3)
1. Install the ExpressVPN Firmware
- Go to router.asus.com or enter 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar (if you changed your default gateway ever before, you can find it in your device settings).
- Enter your ASUS router’s username and password (default: admin).
- On the left sidebar, locate Administration then go to Firmware Upgrade.
- Click on Upload and select the ExpressVPN firmware file you downloaded earlier.
- Once the file is successfully uploaded, reboot your ASUS router.
- You’ve now installed the ExpressVPN firmware on your router.
2. Connect your Device to the Router Running ExpressVPN
- Connect your device to the VPN-enabled router via a Wi-Fi connection or a LAN cable.
- Find the network name in your list of available Wi-Fi networks (hint: if you never changed your Wi-Fi router’s name before, you’ll see the default ASUS router name).
- Enter your Wi-Fi password. Find the default Wi-Fi password under your router device.
3. Complete Setup on the Router
Complete the ExpressVPN setup on router by visiting the router setup page > Sign in and select Get Started > Paste your activation code > Connect to a server.
How do I add ExpressVPN to my TP Link Router in Australia
Follow these easy steps to install ExpressVPN on TP-Link routers in Australia:
- Sign in to your ExpressVPN account.
- Select Set Up Other Devices > Manual Configuration > PPTP & L2TP/IPSec.
- Note your username and password.
- Select a server, note its server address and keep your online dashboard open.
- In your web browser, enter 192.168.0.1 to access your router.
- Enter the username and password (default: admin).
- From the top menu, select Advanced > Network > Internet.
- Enter the information as shown below.
Internet Connection Type: L2TP
Username: Copy the username from the online dashboard
Password: Copy the password from the online dashboard
VPN Server IP/Domain Name: Copy the server address from the online dashboard
Secondary Connection: Dynamic IP
MTU Size: 1460
Connection Mode: Manually
Max Idle Time: 0
- Once done, select Connect then Save.
- You should now be using the ExpressVPN connection.
How to Install ExpressVPN on D-Link Routers in Australia
You can follow these simple steps to install ExpressVPN on D-Link routers in Australia:
- Head to the official ExpressVPN website and sign in to your account.
- On your account dashboard, select Set Up Other Devices > Manual Configuration > PPTP & L2TP/IPSec.
- Keep a note of your username and password.
- Locate the individual server’s addresses and keep this tab open for later use.
- In your web browser’s address bar, type dlinkrouter.local and enter your router’s password (find this at the bottom of your router).
- On your router’s admin panel, go to Settings > Internet.
- Fill the fields by typing exact letters and characters as below:
My Internet Connection is: L2TP
L2TP Server IP Address: Pick a server and copy its IP from your online dashboard
Username: Copy your username from your ExpressVPN dashboard
Password: Copy your password from your ExpressVPN dashboard
Reconned Mode: Click ‘On Demand’
Maximum Idle Time: Set this option to ‘1’
- After adding the information, double-check before hitting Save.
- The D-Link router should start using the VPN now.
How to Install ExpressVPN on Netgear Routers in Australia
To install ExpressVPN on Netgear routers in Australia, you need to download the ExpressVPN Netgear firmware by signing in on the official ExpressVPN website. The steps for downloading the firmware are similar to what we’ve covered above.
The steps below will work for the following Netgear routers only:
- Netgear R6300v2
- Netgear R6400v2
- Netgear R6700v3
- Netgear Nighthawk R7000
- Netgear Nighthawk R7000P
Once you’re done downloading the ExpressVPN firmware, proceed to the steps mentioned below:
1. Connect your Netgear Router to the Internet
- Turn on your router and ensure it has an active internet connection.
- Type 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, or routerlogin.net in your browser’s address bar (if you’ve changed your default gateway before, then find it in your settings).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect successfully.
2. Install the ExpressVPN Firmware
- Enter your Netgear username and password (by default username: admin and password: password), then select Sign In.
- Go to the ADVANCED tab in the router’s admin settings.
- From the sidebar, go to Administration > Router Update.
- Click on Browse and select the ExpressVPN firmware file you downloaded before.
- Hit Upload and then select Ok to restart your router.
- Connect your device to the VPN-configured router via a LAN cable or Wi-Fi.
How to Change Your ExpressVPN Router Settings in Australia
If you want to alter any settings for your ExpressVPN router in Australia, you can do so by entering the following URL into your browser address bar: https://www.expressvpnrouter.com/ or simply 192.168.42.1 (similar to accessing any other router).
Once accessed, you can easily change the Wi-Fi name and password, if needed. You can also toggle on Hide network name (SSID) from this menu. Lastly, you can even perform a soft reset by selecting “Reboot Router“.
How to Upgrade the ExpressVPN Router Firmware in Australia
As you have learned how to use ExpressVPN on router in Australia, now you can upgrade the ExpressVPN router firmware by following these easy steps:
- Sign in to the router with ExpressVPN.
- From the sidebar, go to Advanced Settings > Software Update.
- Click on Choose File and drop your firmware file here.
- Once it uploads, select Update Now to enjoy the latest upgrade.
Why You Need to Use ExpressVPN on Router in Australia?
With ExpressVPN set up and installed on your router, your devices always stay under protection in Australia. The biggest reason behind using ExpressVPN on a router is convenience. Even if you experience a sudden connection drop, the reliable Network Lock kill switch blocks your internet traffic and keeps your data secure till the connection is restored.
Here are some more reasons to use ExpressVPN on a router in Australia:
- Ease of Use: ExpressVPN has a simple user interface that lets you connect to servers with a single click. The Device Groups feature is another plus that lets you sort your devices and connect to up to 5 separate VPN locations.
- Safeguard All Devices: When ExpressVPN is properly set up on your router, you don’t have to consciously remember to protect your device. As the device gets connected to the router running ExpressVPN, the data gets encrypted.
- Optimized Speed: ExpressVPN uses Lightway (a next-generation VPN protocol) that is optimized to deliver secure connection and lightning-fast connection speeds.
Benefits of Using ExpressVPN on Router in Australia
Benefits of using ExpressVPN on a router in Australia include,
- Gain Strong Protection: Leverage VPN connectivity on devices that cannot run the software. This includes Smart TVs, gaming consoles like PlayStation and Xbox, and IoT devices like lightbulbs, smart speakers, security cameras, etc.
- Leverage Powerful Security: A VPN functions at its best when it is always connected. With the ExpressVPN router, you don’t have to reconnect all the time. All devices receive strong security directly when connected to the Wi-Fi.
- Easy-To-Use and Configure: The ExpressVPN router makes connecting to different VPN server locations incredibly easily. Simply navigate to “VPN connections”, select a server, and just click the “connect” button, that is all!
- Connect More Devices: With an ExpressVPN subscription, you can connect simultaneously on 5 devices. By using the ExpressVPN router application, you will not be required to install separate apps on all devices.
- Bypass Geo-Restrictions: By using ExpressVPN, you can unblock any and all streaming platforms, which include Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney Plus.
Check out our detailed ExpressVPN review to discover more about its benefits!
How to Install ExpressVPN on Router: FAQs
What is a VPN Router?
VPN routers are a more advanced version of normal routers with a VPN pre-installed inside them. The firmware enables the VPN router to manage VPN connections and secure the devices connected to the router.
Can I load a VPN on my router in Australia?
Yes, you can download and set up a VPN on your router to ensure maximum protection and security of all devices connected to the network in Australia – especially the VPN-incompatible devices.
Can a VPN be installed on any router in Australia?
No, a VPN can not be installed on any router and modem in Australia, especially the ISP ones. But, for a VPN to function, pair an ISP modem with a router that supports VPNs.
What routers are compatible with ExpressVPN in Australia?
These routers are compatible with ExpressVPN in Australia:
- Linksys Routers: WRT3200ACM, WRT1200AC, WRT1900AC(S), WRT32X, EA6200
- ASUS Routers: RT-AC68U (up to v3), RT-AC87U, RT-AC56(U/R/S)
- Netgear Routers: Nighthawk R7000, Nighthawk R7000P, Nighthawk R6700v3, R6300v2, R6400v2
ExpressVPN can be manually configured with other routers as well such as some other models of ASUS, Tomato, Sabai, Xiaomi, DD-WRT, D-Link, and Netduma.
Can I put ExpressVPN on my router in Australia?
Yes, you can set up ExpressVPN on your router in Australia. In fact, it means that you can protect every device connected to the router without having to install the VPN app on each device separately.
How do I update my ExpressVPN router in Australia?
To update ExpressVPN router in Australia, go to Advanced Settings > Software Update > Choose File > Upload the firmware file > Update Now.
Do I need a separate VPN for each device in Australia?
No, you do not need a separate VPN for each device in Australia. The best VPNs in the market like ExpressVPN have simultaneous connections that enable you to use VPN on multiple devices at the same time under one subscription
What is the fastest VPN router in Australia?
Some of the fastest and best VPN routers in Australia include ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark.
Can I install ExpressVPN on ATT router?
Yes, you can install ExpressVPN on ATT router. ExpressVPN provides you with fast speed, high security, and never-ending bandwidth. Furthermore, you can access 3000+ servers to watch geo-restricted content.
Is the ExpressVPN router good in Australia?
Yes, the ExpressVPN router is extremely easy to set up and use in Australia. Besides being convenient, an ExpressVPN router delivers impressive VPN-connection speeds and securely bypasses the region blocks on major streaming platforms.
What to do if you are unable to connect to your ExpressVPN router in Australia?
If you’re unable to connect to the ExpressVPN router in Australia, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Get the latest version of ExpressVPN.
- Try connecting to a different server location.
- Switch to another VPN protocol.
- Keep ExpressVPN as an exception to antivirus and online security apps.
- If all else fails to work, directly contact customer support.
Do any routers have a built-in VPN in Australia?
Yes, several routers come with pre-installed VPNs in Australia to save you from the hassle of manually setting up the VPN.
How to Install ExpressVPN on Router: Wrapping Things Up
With this, we come to the end of how to install ExpressVPN on routers in Australia. We covered detailed steps for installing and setting up ExpressVPN on Linksys, ASUS, TP-Link, D-Link, and Netgear routers. Before getting started with the installation process, consider checking out the ExpressVPN free trial hack!
Despite the installation process being slightly technical, we hope our easy guide made it simpler for you. Now that you know the steps to set up a VPN on your router manually in Australia, it won’t be much of a hassle for you. Just in case you come across any issue, drop down a comment below.