5 Best VPN for Malaysia in 2020 – Secure and Fast
Need access to the best VPN for Malaysia? Well, the country might be one of the most beautiful places on earth but it has some of the strictest censorship laws. The track record of free and open access to the internet in Malaysia has not been good over the years.
There are numerous websites, online services, and web content that are blocked, which promote hate speeches against the government, prevent social uprising, and with increasing religious conservatism, these laws will become stricter with the passage of time.
To bypass them, however, users in Malaysia can get a VPN service. This guide discusses the best choices available for leveraging internet freedom!
A Quick Overview: 5 Best Malaysia VPNs for 2020
- Surfshark: Best VPN Service for Malaysia. 1,700+ servers in 63 countries. 15 situated in Malaysia. Unlimited simultaneous connections. 2-Year Plan costs $2.49/mo
- PureVPN: Cheap VPN for Malaysian Users. 18 Servers in Kaula Lampur and 12 in Johor Bahru. Simultaneous connections on 10 devices. 2-Year Plan costs $2.91/mo
- NordVPN: Secure & Private Malaysia VPN. 5,300 servers in 59 countries. 15 situated in Malaysia. Simultaneous connections on 6 devices. 2-Year Plan costs $3.71/mo
- ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Malayisan Users. High-speed RAM servers for travelers and Malaysian’s. Simultaneous connections on 5 devices. 1-Year Plan costs $6.67/mo
- CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price & Value. Dedicated IPs available and 10 servers in Malaysia. Simultaneous connections on 7 devices. 3-Year Plan costs $2.75/mo
Why You Should Use a VPN in Malaysia?
- Engage in P2P/Torrenting Activities: Probably one of the main reasons why anyone comes looking for a VPN in the first place. The technology allows you to download torrents securely and anonymously, without worrying about copyright infringement notices.
- Access to Geo Restricted Streams: VoDs have a different library based on region. If you are based in Malaysia, you can use a streaming VPN to unblock more movies/TV shows on a huge list of services that include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Prime Video, etc.
- Keep You Safe on Public Wi-Fi Networks: Using public Wi-Fi can put your personal data at risk. Since you are using a variety of different Wi-Fi access points every day when traveling, secure all activities via a VPN for keeping you anonymous.
- Avoid Government Surveillance: VPNs mask your IP address and shift your location to different countries. This ensures all your online activities remain untraceable, protecting you from the prying eyes of hackers, copyright infringement, and surveillance agencies.
- Protection against Cybercriminals: By connecting to a VPN, you can boost your security against hackers. This goes true, especially if you are an avid-gamer. A VPN can secure you from DDoS attacks and swatting hoaxes.
5 Best VPNs for Malaysia To Have Internet Freedom
To evade privacy and internet freedom related issues in Malaysia, here is a list of the 5 best Malaysian VPNs that should prove incredibly useful.
1. Surfshark: Best VPN Service for Malaysia
Launched in 2018 and based in the British Virgin Islands, Surfshark is the best Malaysian VPN in the marketplace currently. For connectivity, users have access to 1,700+ servers in 63 countries worldwide, among which 15 are situated in Malaysia.
This allows expats to enjoy local content from varied countries, while at the same time allowing residents to bypass geo-restrictions. If you want to test the service, you have a 7-day Surfshark free trial for iOS and Android devices. As for other platforms, there is a generous 30-day refund.
Surfshark even makes available static IPs, Multi-Hop servers, CleanWeb, and unlimited simultaneous connections on a single subscription. The best part of all: the VPN faces no issues in unblocking a multitude of streaming services, such as:
- 1,700+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- BVI is a Safe Jurisdiction
- Strict No-Logging Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- DDoS Protection
- Only Static IPs Available
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of Surfshark!
2. PureVPN: Cheap VPN for Malaysian Users
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Hong Kong, PureVPN is a low-cost option for Malaysian users. It has been endorsed by Forbes, audited by AltiusIT, and offers expats access to 18 servers in Kaula Lampur and 12 in Johor Bahru to access local content without any difficulties.
Malaysian residents can bypass all restrictions on social media platforms, Google services, and streaming platforms via PureVPN’s impressive infrastructure of 2,000+ servers in 140+ countries. If you want to test the service, you even have a 30-day refund and PureVPN free trial available.
To get the best value, I recommend going for their 2-year plan that starts at $2.91/mo . Once subscribed, you can get access to the “popular websites” menu in all available apps to unblock streaming platforms. These include:
- DDoS Protection Feature
- 2000+ Servers in 140 Countries
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall
- Multiple Protocol Support
- Allows Split Tunneling
- Free Trial Unavailable
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of PureVPN!
3. NordVPN: Secure & Private Malaysia VPN
Launched in 2012 and based in Panama, NordVPN is an excellent choice for security and privacy-conscious Malaysian users. It is also among the few to get their security audits done back in 2012, ensuring users remain safe at all times, and even offers expats 15 servers in Malaysia.
Priced at a minimal $3.71/mo on a 2-year plan, residents of Malaysia can use NordVPN’s 5,300+ servers in 59+ countries worldwide to bypass all blocks. You can even test the service via NordVPN’s Free Trial.
The provider is free from all WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks, uses AES-256 ciphers with an RSA-4096 key and SHA384 for hash authentication, and provides binge-watchers with specialized list of servers for unblocking popular Video-on-Demand (VoD) services, which include:
- 5100+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Dedicated IPs available
- Unblocks US/UK Netflix
- Multi-Logins on 6 Devices
- Torrenting/P2P is Allowed
- No Port Forwarding
For more information, check out this full 2020 NordVPN review!
4. ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN for Malayisan Users
Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2011, ExpressVPN is the preferred choice for many Malaysia users, perfect for leveraging security and speeds. It has a verified no logs policy that has even been audited by two firms; PWC and Cure53!
You have apps available for all popular platforms that include Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux. For connectivity, users have access to 3000+ servers in more than 160 locations worldwide. You can even get an ExpressVPN free trial for testing the product or avail their 30-day refund policy.
If you want to receive the best value, I recommend going for ExpressVPN’s 1-year plan that will cost you $6.67/mo . Once subscribed, Malaysian users can also easily bypass geoblocks and content limitations on streaming platforms like:
- Multi-Logins on 5 devices
- Torrenting/P2P is allowed
- Unblocks American Netflix
- 3000+ Servers in 94 Countries
- Round-the-Clock Live Support
- Plans are Expensive
For more information, check out this full 2020 review of ExpressVPN!
5. CyberGhost: Great Balance of Price & Value
Based in Romania, CyberGhost is a renowned choice for unblockers and streamers around the world. It offers the largest server network in the industry, making it perfect for travelers who want to shift locations and appear as a local when browsing through discounts/deals.
CyberGhost easily manages to bypass geo-restrictions and VPN bans on Netflix and other popular streaming sites like Voot, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and HBO Now with ease. In fact, the service offers specialized servers that you can find through the search bar!
For connectivity, users have access to over 6,200 servers in 88+ countries worldwide, along with features like 7 simultaneous connections, Wi-Fi protection, and a navigation bar for finding specific servers. The provider even utilizes obfuscation technology for unblocking streaming platforms.
- Multi-Logins on 7 Devices
- 6,200+ Servers in 90 Countries
- 1-Day Free VPN Trial Available
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Zero WebRTC/DNS/IP leaks
- Slow Customer Support
For more information, check out this full 2020 CyberGhost review!
Free VPNs that are Best for Malaysia
When it comes to signing up with VPNs, it is usually preferred to go with a premium service with an established reputation in the marketplace.
However, there are a few FREE providers too, which go the extra mile in delivering good privacy, security, performance, support, and apps compatibility. Among some of the most prominent for Malaysia, include:
1. ProtonVPN: Unlimited Bandwidth for Free Users
Based in Switzerland, ProtonVPN is quite a popular free service; one that has recently even been banned by Russian agencies for its unbeatable encryption and security.
The service is among the few that works on Amazon Fire TV devices, allowing users to leverage entertainment by connecting to VPN servers at the utmost level of convenience.
- 600+ Servers in 40+ Countries.
- Strict No-Logging Policy.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee.
- Fewer Features with Free Plan.
For more information, check out this full 2020 ProtonVPN review
2. Windscribe: Free VPN with 10GB Data/Mo
10GB is more than enough to judge how a VPN works when deployed in Malaysia, and considering the above-average speeds, you will not have a lot of trouble accomplishing that goal.
The encryption standards are a bit weak then we would like them to be at Windscribe, but the firewall and ad-blocking feature more than make up for these shortcomings.
- 10 GB Data Cap on Free Plan.
- Features ad-blocker and firewall.
- Supports P2P in All Countries.
- Customer Support is slow.
For more information, check out this full 2020 Windscribe review!
3. Hide.Me: 2GB Data Cap with Free Plan
With an incomparable reputation for protecting user privacy and religiously adhering to the policy of keeping zero user logs, Hide.Me is a great free Malaysian VPN
The encryption is top grade and can match the one provided by even paid service, and its location in Malaysia takes it way off from the purview of draconian data retention laws.
The data cap for the free version is 2GB, which is pretty good if you want to keep it as a great second option to complement a paid service you have already subscribed to.
- 53 Servers in 32 Countries Worldwide.
- Exceptional Cross-Platform Support.
- Dedicated IPs Available for VoDs.
- Pricey Monthly Plan.
Which VPNs to Avoid using in Malaysia?
The VPNs listed above have been tested to offer maximum protection, audited zero-log policies, and safe from WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks. A hacker cannot breach any of the above and track your activities online. Neither do you have to worry about the prying eyes of law enforcement.
However, the same cannot be said about all providers. In most cases, a VPN that is free will cover the costs of hosting and maintaining a VPN server by making you the product; selling your info to third-parties, or sending botnet attacks to utilize bandwidth. Make sure to avoid these names:
- Setup VPN
- Dot VPN
Best Malaysia VPN: FAQs
Is VPN legal in Malaysia?
Yes, VPNs are completely legal to use in Malaysia. However, if you get caught using one to do illegal activities like cyberstalking, cyberbullying, hacking without authorizations, these acts will be considered illegal. Use one only for security and privacy!
Should I use a VPN if I live in Malaysia?
Users in Malaysia should get a VPN to leverage better privacy & security online and avoid blocks on different websites/services banned by the Malaysian Government. It is a great tool for keeping yourself anonymous while exploring the internet how you want to.
How Can I Get a VPN in Malaysia?
- Subscribe for a VPN service from our list
- Download the provider’s VPN app
- Launch the app and sign in
- Select the regional server you want to connect
- Install the VPN certificate if prompted
- Go to Settings>General>VPN
- Tap on VPN button to switch it on
- Launch VPN service and connect
Wrapping Things Up
To sum everything up, there are many hurdles when it comes to using the internet freely in Malaysia. From internet restrictions to rising cyber threats, Malaysia is by no means a safe place for internet users with its ridiculous censorship policies, hindering free speech.
With the government blocking various content and filtering websites for inappropriate material, the use of a Malaysia VPN like Surfshark has never been more imperative. If you are looking for an alternative though, there is no better option than PureVPN.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?